Author Topic: (Answered) Altitude bombing to-hit rolls  (Read 1581 times)

A. Lurker

• Major
(Answered) Altitude bombing to-hit rolls
« on: 06 May 2014, 05:42:22 »
Per current errata, dive-bombing attacks are resolved on a per-bomb basis -- each bomb rolls to hit the hex targeted by the attack (and then possibly for scatter if it misses) individually.

That errata doesn't technically cover altitude bombing, however. So according to Total Warfare p. 246, if I decide to drop a pair of bombs into the same hex in this way, I still make one to-hit roll for both bombs at once and their either both hit or both scatter -- there's no way for only one to hit and the other to miss.

My question now: Should altitude bombing attacks now be resolved on a per-bomb basis just as revised dive bombing runs already are (would require new errata, I imagine), or is the old rule still intended to stand here?

Edited to add: And in the event that the former should hold true, would the scatter distance be determined by margin of failure as per dive bombing as well or remain at a random 1d6 hexes?
« Last Edit: 09 May 2014, 12:01:57 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Altitude bombing to-hit rolls
« Reply #1 on: 09 May 2014, 12:01:50 »
Roll once for each bomb being dropped in the attack. If a roll succeed, that bomb lands in the designated hex. If the roll fails, the bomb scatters before exploding. To determine the direction of the scatter, roll 1D6 for each bomb dropped and consult the Altitude-Bombing Scatter Diagram on p. 245. The bomb scatters in that direction, impacting a number of hexes from its intended target hex equal to the attack roll's margin of failure. (For example, if the attack roll failed by 3 points, the missed bomb will strike 3 hexes away from its intended target.)
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

A. Lurker

• Major
Re: (Answered) Altitude bombing to-hit rolls
« Reply #2 on: 09 May 2014, 12:05:00 »
Makes sense. Thanks!

Register