Author Topic: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen  (Read 217777 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
Re: New and Upcoming Releases Volume XII: Baker's Dozen
« Reply #510 on: 19 March 2018, 23:48:44 »
Definitely one of each. I have every box from battledroids on so it is my sworn duty to keep the collection complete

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

William J. Pennington

• Lieutenant
« Reply #511 on: 19 March 2018, 23:52:36 »
No.

Catalyst has said that they will keep these in stock and get more done on a routine basis, so fans who want more should not hold off. More sales = more product. This isn't like last time.

Well, okey-dokey then. Loading all my botttlecaps to be launched by siege weapon in Catalyst's direction.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #512 on: 19 March 2018, 23:53:23 »
At present I may need four of the game of armored combat box (not all at once, of course). I want at least four new battlemasters.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #513 on: 20 March 2018, 00:00:52 »
Here.  Want to play with people?  Buy a bunch of box sets of your own.  Eight 'Mechs in detailed minis at $7.50 apiece with some free maps is what you just bought.  "But what do I do with all these instructions and record sheets?"

GIVEAWAYS.

You've probably got a copy of your own from the book, plus you probably have Total Warfare at the least.  You don't need the rulesets, you don't need the record sheets, but you can give them to friends and let them try out the game on their own or show them how to use the rules as they play with your minis.  Don't leave the box on the shelf for some kid to look at and wonder if it's good, buy the box and give the kid your spare instructions and then tell him GIT YUR DICE, SON.  Want to create interest?  Freebies.

Meanwhile you're running around paying half price for stacks of awesome minis, buried in free maps, and hanging out on streetcorners pushing Battletech instructions like the newest drug.  Don't knock it - cops play games too.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #514 on: 20 March 2018, 01:00:24 »
That Catalyst is confident that these new offerings will be more self sustaining is the most welcome news for Battletech I have heard in a long time.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #515 on: 20 March 2018, 02:38:30 »
No.

Catalyst has said that they will keep these in stock and get more done on a routine basis, so fans who want more should not hold off. More sales = more product. This isn't like last time.

This. A thousand times this. If you want to buy a dozen copies to raid them for their minis, do it. ANS Kamas suggested giving away the extra rulebooks and maps. Guess what: these new boxed sets also come with 'Mech standees, Alpha Strike cards (in the full set), and dice. You can give out completely-playable games! I suggest giving them to folks who would be unlikely to buy the full boxed set themselves. Catalyst doesn't lose a sale - in fact, they already made it through you - and if you can get more people playing, even if they can't or won't buy more, you can be damn sure their friends will.

And hey, if CGL does drop the ball and lets stuff go out of print that they should've kept in print, at least you've got yourself a nice hoard of minis. :D
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #516 on: 20 March 2018, 04:04:06 »
That Catalyst is confident that these new offerings will be more self sustaining is the most welcome news for Battletech I have heard in a long time.

That makes me very happy. They need some confidence going into the new year after the year they had.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

SCC

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #517 on: 20 March 2018, 04:09:08 »
This. A thousand times this. If you want to buy a dozen copies to raid them for their minis, do it. ANS Kamas suggested giving away the extra rulebooks and maps. Guess what: these new boxed sets also come with 'Mech standees, Alpha Strike cards (in the full set), and dice. You can give out completely-playable games! I suggest giving them to folks who would be unlikely to buy the full boxed set themselves. Catalyst doesn't lose a sale - in fact, they already made it through you - and if you can get more people playing, even if they can't or won't buy more, you can be damn sure their friends will.

And hey, if CGL does drop the ball and lets stuff go out of print that they should've kept in print, at least you've got yourself a nice hoard of minis. :D
Well apart from all the tree's you'd be killing to make the boxes your consqenice should be clear. (Am I the only one who, as a kid, thought that Captain Planet must have leveled whole forests with it's need for paper?)

Only other issue it that it might tell TPTB that we don't want anymore new designs.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #518 on: 20 March 2018, 04:14:02 »
Only other issue it that it might tell TPTB that we don't want anymore new designs.

Huh? How does THAT follow?
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #519 on: 20 March 2018, 07:01:35 »

The main message that buying lots of the new boxes will send to management is: "here is money to make more things."
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #520 on: 20 March 2018, 07:21:01 »
I think he’s referring to the all-pervasive bloat. It’s a friggen issue, but most of BT’s issues are Catch-22s.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #521 on: 20 March 2018, 07:31:32 »
I'm with you. I don't need starting materials, but I like those models. I also would prefer to leave intro boxes in stock for new players. Having existing players eat up the stock of the set to get the miniatures they desire results in intro sets going out of stock, which is annoying for Catalyst.

I need to underline this: buy as many boxes as you want.

What's far more annoying for Catalyst and your LGS is having lots of unsold product sitting on store shelves. All that does is delay the return on CGL's investment, and tell the store owner that it's not worth stocking any more BattleTech because it doesn't move. Sales volume and velocity are key for both reprints of these boxes and additional product.

I've seen this idea before, "I want to leave intro boxes for new players." Most likely, you're only leaving them for the mark-down clearance bin. Especially if you're not also demoing the game, playing it in store with your regular group, and talking to the store owner about it.

Instead of waiting for the product to sell itself, why not give it a hand? Demo the game, or arrange a beginner's grinder, with the winner getting a Beginner Box of their own. Part of the reason to have a $20 box is to make it more possible for existing players to use them as tools to help spread the word. I can't personally afford to give out lots of $60 boxes. But $20 boxes are much more possible as tournament prizes, passing along to a friend as a gift, etc.

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #522 on: 20 March 2018, 12:31:50 »
Im gonna pick up a few boxs to demo a bit, coworker used to play so i owe him one for getting me into another game...turn abouts fair trial, quiaff?
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #523 on: 20 March 2018, 13:49:35 »
As a newer player i'm really excited for this. The problem up here in Canada is that we'll get a shipment, and if it sells out fast, we cant really request or order more from the Stores. From what i understand they cant request more of certain products or have individuals tell stores to buy more for them. They just send them what they send them. Not sure who runs the supply chain in Canada, but it sounds very inefficient. They sent a bunch of metal mini's that are obscure, and no one will buy, but they dont have regulars like Timberwolf or atlas in stock. And the random obscure ones just sit on the shelf collecting dust.

I bought an Axman the second i found out it came in over a year ago, and there hasn't been a new one come in to replace it.

Just broad examples, but its very challenging getting stuff you want without paying for high shipping costs. I would love to just order what i need from my local stores.

RoundTop

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • In Takashi We Trust
« Reply #524 on: 20 March 2018, 14:15:07 »
As a newer player i'm really excited for this. The problem up here in Canada is that we'll get a shipment, and if it sells out fast, we cant really request or order more from the Stores. From what i understand they cant request more of certain products or have individuals tell stores to buy more for them. They just send them what they send them. Not sure who runs the supply chain in Canada, but it sounds very inefficient. They sent a bunch of metal mini's that are obscure, and no one will buy, but they dont have regulars like Timberwolf or atlas in stock. And the random obscure ones just sit on the shelf collecting dust.

I bought an Axman the second i found out it came in over a year ago, and there hasn't been a new one come in to replace it.

Just broad examples, but its very challenging getting stuff you want without paying for high shipping costs. I would love to just order what i need from my local stores.

As a Canadian too...

There are two problems with this statement.

#1) Distributors will accept orders for specific product, but you have to request it right. Often stores don't know what will sell or know the product line, and will guess.
#2) Catalyst is not Iron Wind Metals (the metal minis).
#3) Often distributors will batch lots together to make it easier for stores, and these heavily favor newly released items. It is possible to order more.
#4) Iron Wind Metals has some awesome customer service, and will gladly ship to Canada (it is even free if you order over $200 US).  Many game stores will also contact directly with IWM if needed.

If you are out west, Starlit Citadel, Imperial Hobbies, and One Stop Shop Cards & Games in Vancouver all stock things pretty well.
No-Dachi has a counter-argument. Nothing further? Ok.
Demo team agent #772

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #525 on: 20 March 2018, 14:30:57 »
Here.  Want to play with people?  Buy a bunch of box sets of your own.  Eight 'Mechs in detailed minis at $7.50 apiece with some free maps is what you just bought.  "But what do I do with all these instructions and record sheets?"

GIVEAWAYS.

You've probably got a copy of your own from the book, plus you probably have Total Warfare at the least.  You don't need the rulesets, you don't need the record sheets, but you can give them to friends and let them try out the game on their own or show them how to use the rules as they play with your minis.  Don't leave the box on the shelf for some kid to look at and wonder if it's good, buy the box and give the kid your spare instructions and then tell him GIT YUR DICE, SON.  Want to create interest?  Freebies.

Meanwhile you're running around paying half price for stacks of awesome minis, buried in free maps, and hanging out on streetcorners pushing Battletech instructions like the newest drug.  Don't knock it - cops play games too.

Actually, this is a really good idea.

I was already going to get a copy of the box(es), but giving away the extra materials is a great idea. I might have to arrange something through my monthly public game at the FLGS.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #526 on: 20 March 2018, 18:22:30 »

GIVEAWAYS.

To chime in, this is a very good idea.

Both boxes come with cardboard standee mechs, right? Well there you go. Set up a game at your FLGS, run the fight to completion, winner gets a set of rules and the standees from one of your boxes. Maybe throw in a map, if your feeling generous.  Just like that, someome else out there has everything they need to run a game of their own. 

Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #527 on: 20 March 2018, 20:00:53 »
Well forget that! If I buy seven boxes Im keeping all the rules!!! MUWAHAHAHA!!!

That way when I play I can provide rules to everyone who plays :)

No but seriously : great ideas actually, some I never would have thought of. Am I upset my box won't have two companies of mech minis? Of course. Am I upset that I'll never see a Clan Intro Box? Definetly!

But so fracking excited all the same. I just need you guys to release them on odd numbered weeks so I can cash my paycheck into your hands and not have to wait a week. New fiction, new boxes, advancing timeline.... *starts drooling*

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #528 on: 20 March 2018, 21:24:43 »
As a Canadian too...

There are two problems with this statement.

#1) Distributors will accept orders for specific product, but you have to request it right. Often stores don't know what will sell or know the product line, and will guess.
#2) Catalyst is not Iron Wind Metals (the metal minis).
#3) Often distributors will batch lots together to make it easier for stores, and these heavily favor newly released items. It is possible to order more.
#4) Iron Wind Metals has some awesome customer service, and will gladly ship to Canada (it is even free if you order over $200 US).  Many game stores will also contact directly with IWM if needed.

If you are out west, Starlit Citadel, Imperial Hobbies, and One Stop Shop Cards & Games in Vancouver all stock things pretty well.

I'm in Toronto, and any store that actually sells BT, cannot order specific items for me that are not in stock. They get bulk shipments in from IWM and Catalyst, but there is no way for me to ask them to order item. They also have no idea when new items will come in. Apparently they have zero visibility. I've spoken to 3 different stores and the answers are the same. We cant get this ordered for you , and we have no idea when the next shipment will be.

Feenix74

• Captain
  • Lam's Phoenix Hawks
« Reply #529 on: 20 March 2018, 21:54:27 »
Just had a poke through the BT Coming Soon page, the Awesome from the Box Set looks so awesome!

Incoming fire has the right of way.

The only thing more accurate than incoming enemy fire is incoming friendly fire.

Always remember that your weapon was built by the lowest bidder.

- excepts from Murphy's Laws of Combat

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #530 on: 21 March 2018, 01:30:37 »
If this keeps up I might have a company of Awesomes at some point.... this is both awesome and disturbing because my friends will not want to play against such a behemoth company.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #531 on: 21 March 2018, 06:28:33 »
That is a awesome looking Awesome!!
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #532 on: 21 March 2018, 06:57:00 »
They re-did the art for Awesome or it's just different take on it?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #533 on: 21 March 2018, 07:34:52 »
They re-did the art for Awesome or it's just different take on it?

Looks like the 3050 take to me, just a better sculpt.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #534 on: 21 March 2018, 07:44:27 »
It looks like they took the weapon part off of the Classic Warhammer mini they prototyped and stitched it onto this Classic version of the Awesome.

It does look rather cool though...

Heavyguard

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #535 on: 21 March 2018, 07:49:41 »
I'm in Toronto, and any store that actually sells BT, cannot order specific items for me that are not in stock. They get bulk shipments in from IWM and Catalyst, but there is no way for me to ask them to order item. They also have no idea when new items will come in. Apparently they have zero visibility. I've spoken to 3 different stores and the answers are the same. We cant get this ordered for you , and we have no idea when the next shipment will be.

Few locations in ON that I know of;
- Imperial Hobbies in London direct orders (or did a few years ago) from IWM.
- Black Knight Games in Hamilton did have regular games there. (again a few years ago atleast)

Saggittaire on the forums here is a Demo agent in the area and might have some better info for you as well.

Heavyguard

Dmon

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #536 on: 21 March 2018, 13:32:33 »
Can anybody see what the names on the MechWarrior cards are?

Wildonion

• Warrant Officer
  • I'm just a few onions short of a patch.
« Reply #537 on: 22 March 2018, 10:39:12 »
Except that it's the 5th.     ::)

This cover art has me so conflicted. On the one hand: Updated Alpha Strike rules! On the other, I painted my 'Mechs as the 5th and now that beautiful new Thunderbolt is getting shot to pieces on the cover. 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #538 on: 22 March 2018, 10:58:53 »
Can anybody see what the names on the MechWarrior cards are?

I see: Hafa Kaur, Simon Beckner, and Durant Carlyle (presumably)

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #539 on: 22 March 2018, 11:18:05 »
So we get . . . a Wolverine pilot, a Battlemaster? and of course the Shadow Hawk

Looks like they also give 4 specific bits of info- ?, Affiliation, ?, Battlemech . . . but the battlemech looks like a name?  since that does not look like enough space for 'Wolverine'?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."