Author Topic: Marian Hegimony writing guidelines or bible  (Read 1144 times)

Red Pins

• Major
  • Inspiration+Creativity=Insanity
Marian Hegimony writing guidelines or bible
« on: 21 September 2023, 10:08:36 »
I've noticed a seemingly wide variety of styles of address and format for stories focused on the Hegemony.  Is there an official (or unofficial) set of guidelines available to writers to use to provide submissions for Shrapnel or other official books?

I've dabbled in fan fiction because they're (of course) my favorite faction, but find it difficult since the culture and language is so different from American and Canadian.  With the recent emphasis on the Periphery in the latest source book, I suspect more stories would be written focused on them if there was a document outlining finer details available for fans to consult.
...Visit the Legacy Cluster...
The New Clans:Volume One
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Work-in-progress; The Blake Threat File
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!
TRO: 3176 Hegemony Refits - the 30-day wonder

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
Re: Marian Hegimony writing guidelines or bible
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2023, 15:45:27 »
For "Legion of the Dead," I reviewed past sourcebooks featuring the Hegemony, including (but not limited to):
1) The Periphery (1st edition)
2) The Periphery (2nd edition)
3) A Guide to Covert Ops (where a lot of the terminology for the Ordo Vigilis comes from)
4) Handbook: Major Periphery States
5) Field Manual: Periphery
6) Field Manual: 3145
7) Era Report: 3145
8) Shattered Fortress
9) Empire Alone
10) Objectives: Periphery
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2023, 20:24:05 »
...Did you take notes...? :smilie_confused_dontknow:  Or are we to write submissions or stories as one-off best guesses of style/latin translation/address/culture?

Will we be penalized for guessing wrong?  Is there any hope there might be some kind of style/culture/whatever guide released in the future sometime?

..Can I volunteer to do something like this and have it adopted?
Clan Devil Wasp * Clan Carnoraptor * Clan Frost Ape * Clan Surf Dragon * Clan Tundra Leopard
Now with MORE GROGNARD!  ...I think I'm done.  I've played long enough to earn a pension, fer cryin' out loud!  IlClan and out in <REDACTED>!

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2023, 20:52:32 »
Sarna is your friend - all the ranks and Latin titles are summarized here:  https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Marian_Hegemony_Armed_Forces

If you get something off in your work, no worries.  Fact check will suggest corrections as needed.
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Red Pins

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 25 September 2023, 23:42:47 »
Thanks, I checked most of those books as well - I am still considering a project to pull all those examples together.

Register