Author Topic: Kiiro no tori  (Read 150441 times)

Davout73

• Captain
Kiiro no tori
« on: 24 June 2011, 14:05:33 »
My Interview with a Mercenary thread will be winding down soon, but in addition to that, I've been working on another side project.  The format of this tale will be a little more different, some parts will be a timeline; others chapters, I'll throw in a few maps and the like as well.  I have no timetable for updates, but they should be pretty regular.

Hope You enjoy,

Davout
Kiiro no Torii, a Battletech AU, found here:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,7316.0.html
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Davout73

• Captain
Re: Kiiro no tori
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2011, 14:07:38 »
20 August, 3028
Terra

His leg was hurting again, a dull reminder telling him all the standing up, sitting down, and walking without the cane was going to come back and haunt him for the next week.  It would be worthiness it though.  He watched the assembly before him, the muted conversations rolling over him.  A door of to the side opened up, and the cake came up, two ComStar acolytes taking great care to maneuver it to the center of the dais.  Other ComStar acolytes flittered throughout the room, removing plates, refilling glasses.  He stood as gracefully as he could, and without any apparent pain or discomfort moved around the table, descended the stair a bit slower than normal.  Melissa, moving almost as slow so as to preserve the hem of her gown, reached the top of the stairs and gave him her hand, her eyes glancing down at his leg.   He met her with a smile and a quick shake of his head, which was returned by the briefest of frowns.  She knew his leg was hurting him, already she could read him as well as some of his oldest friends.
Ian, he thought to himself, I wish you were here to see this.
Precentor Avalon, Huthrin Vandal, handed him a sword used earlier in the ceremony.  Melissa's hand closed around his, firm and confident, and with three quick strokes the first two pieces of cake were cut.  The acolytes quickly plated them, and with the same firm grip she helped him back up the stairs.  They were supposed to have sat down while the remainder of the cake was cut and divvied, but he kept standing.  Melissa, still holding his hand, leaned in close, and he bent down to listen.
"How bad is it?" she whispered
"I promise you, whatever pain I feel now will be nothing but a memory in a few moments." She glanced up at his cryptic reply, but he was smiling.  With a brief squeeze of his hand she smiled and looked back out over the guests.
The cake was all served, and the guests quieted down by mutual acclaim.  Reaching down, Melissa picked up her plate, took the piece of cake off, and with a smile that more affection but still had a hint of mischievousness in it, raised it to him.
"Husband, in honor of our marriage, I give you a regiment of BattleMechs and the means to support them in perpetuity."  She fed him the piece, and with a few quick bites it was gone, and with a brief smile and bow of his head he acknowledged her gift
"I thank you for the gift, beloved."  He smiled at her, with genuine love and affection, releasing her hand.  He picked up the piece of cake with his right hand, and with his left picked up the plate it had been on and shook the doily off.  That's when he felt it, the surge of confidence.  Sixteen years, he thought.  Sixteen years I've been waiting to see the look on his face.
"Wife, in honor of our marriage, in addition to this morsel, I give you a vast prize."
Holding the plate aloft, Hanse Davion, First Prince of the Federated Suns, twisted slightly, so he was looking directly at Takashi Kurita.  Their eyes met for the briefest instant, until the brief shake of the plate in his hand drew the Coordinators eyes to the crest on the plate, and his smile grew bigger as he saw the recognition flare in Takashi Kurita's eyes.
Yes, Halstead Station, where it began.
Turning back to his wife, still holding the plate aloft, his voice booming across the audience.
"Here, my love.  I give you the Draconis Combine!"
« Last Edit: 24 August 2012, 19:37:04 by Davout73 »
Interview with a Mercenary, found here: http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,319.0.html
Every Man Must Be Tempted, a KNT Universe series: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/fan-fiction/every-man-must-be-tempted
"Violence is the last resort of the incompetent, because the competent use it when it could do some good."

Khan Jade Wolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Ut faciem venti bellum
« Reply #2 on: 24 June 2011, 14:14:31 »
Well done! I like you twist to this !
Semper paratus !
Praesto Novastar defendere!

Libertadkrieger

• Corporal
« Reply #3 on: 24 June 2011, 18:22:48 »
 :o
Waiting eagerly for more, especially with how greatly I loved Interview with a Mercenary.

Dave Talley

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 24 June 2011, 21:14:32 »
tag
Resident Smartass since 1998
“Toe jam in training”

Because while the other Great Houses of the Star League thought they were playing chess, House Cameron was playing Paradox-Billiards-Vostroyan-Roulette-Fourth Dimensional-Hypercube-Chess-Strip Poker the entire time.
JA Baker

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 25 June 2011, 00:25:38 »
Now that was a twist.
Sake anyone. }:)
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #6 on: 25 June 2011, 05:03:00 »
*bugged for further surveillance*
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 25 June 2011, 16:02:00 »
We had heard the Dracs were expanding the depots on Halstead Station.  It made sense, that was far enough behind the border that it would take some effort to get to, the majority of the population lived underground in huge warrens, which would mean getting to any depot would be tough.  There were already plans being made, and something tells me that had Ian made it off Mallory's World, he would have jumped immediately to Halstead Station...then we heard about the University Library discovery... 
Instead, I was there.  I'd be lying if I said I was not conscious of the fact that nothing stood between Michael and the throne other than my Battlemaster, but you don't join the AFFS to stay safe.
They say no plan survives contact with the enemy, and this was certainly the case...

-From the Unpublished Diaries of Hanse Davion

The lasers fired, and the paper quickly caught fire.  Slowly at first, then with a growing intensity, the flames leapt from book to book, then from shelf to shelf.  Once the blaze was going, the Victor moved away from the door, leaving him to look upon what had been done.  Three hundred plus years of lost knowledge, gone...
With as start, Hanse Davion woke up.  The neurohelmet was heavy on his shoulders, which throbbed with a dull pain.  The comms were coming to life, reports were coming in.  His mouth was dry, a few sips from the water bottle were just enough to remind him it had been awhile since he had last eaten a good meal.
"Note to self.  Lock head of Commissariat in room and force them to eat Field Rations...that will teach them."
"Sorry Sir, Did you say something?"  Major Deutsch, commander of the 3rd Battalion, 1st Davion Guards, had moved his Thunderbolt over a little closer.  The paint scheme was wrecked, the bright new armor plates standing out, signs of the last few weeks recent activity. 
"No Major, just thinking aloud.  Whats the ETA on the drop ships?"
"Four Hours Sir."
"Good.  Priority is those units carrying the cargo.  I don't care about loading order, or who gets on what ship.  They march in, they lock down, and the ship boosts.  Sauve que peut.  Anyone who has a problem with that gets left behind."
"Understood sir."
"Contact!  Contact at Point Warren, estimate Battalion plus of mechs, with armor and infantry as well."
Hanse closed his eyes and though for a moment, pulling up a map from memory.  That area was a natural choke point, as long as the Captain in charge there didn't get to overzealous and stayed on the defense they could hold out.  Disengaging could have been tricky, but the engineers had planned for that.
The minutes ticked by slowly, the sounds of combat filtered through the comm systems, a snippet of information caught Hanses attention.
"Which unit is that fighting D company?" he asked.
"Sir, 27th Dieron."
Hanse closed his eyes, thinking hard.
"Wheres the 2nd Sword?"  he asked, moving the Battlemaster into a slow trot.
"Lost contact with them two days ago at the river.  It's been 27th Dieron chasing us since then." replied Major Deutsch.
What would I do?  I don't know where the dropships are going to land exactly, but I have a general idea.  There's only a couple of locations, but enemy has not tipped his hand by claiming a DZ yet.  So, what do I do?  I use my lesser unit to pin down and attract my enemies attention while I..merde.
"Move on all three DZ's....Colonel Pruitt!"
"Sir!"
"Were moving out ASAP.  Recon companies and fast movers out ahead of main force.  Special Cargo in the Center.  You've got front, I've got rear.  As soon as the dropships begin their final we set up a perimeter, and  the dropships cover us while we load."
"Yes Sir.  Playing a hunch sir?"
"Educated guess, Colonel.  2nd Sword broke off two days ago.  Kurita knows we've got limited choices to land, and he's force marched the 2nd to cover them.  Major Deutsch, tell D company to blow Point Warren and fall back best possible speed."
"Sir!"

Pruitt and the 1st moved out smartly. The 1st Davion was an elite unit, and it showed.  Despite the weeks of hide and seek, combat and stress, they moved with alacrity and purpose, and no complaining.  The end was close, the dropships had broken through the ASF cover and were getting ready to land, and they knew it.  Now all they had to do was survive the next few hours.
He ducked, but not quickly enough, and the PPC blast from the enemy Warhammer took off the Holly Missile launcher on the Battlemasters left torso.  Not that it mattered, it had fired the last ammo a few minutes earlier.  Stabbing the mechs right arm out, he fired his own PPC in return, watched as the beam dug into the Warhammer's hip joint.  With a short tremor, the Warhammer tottered, then fell over.  Backing his mech up, Hanse looked for cover as he watched the approaching heavy company.  A loud roar echoed through his cockpit, and he glanced up and saw Leftenant Mowbray's Victor sail through the air on a short jump, twisting to avoid the energy beams fired at him.  The Warhammer, lacking hands and lower arm actuators, would have had a hard time standing up without the damage to it's hip, as it was the Kurita pilot managed to get his mech into a sitting position, but it didn't matter.  Mowbray landed a few meters short of the sitting mech, and the Pontiac 100 roared directly into the Warhammer's   cockpit.  Scores of LRM's reached out, but with a deft touch Mowbray sidled out of the path of most of them, the few that hit exploding with little effect on his left torso.

A Kurita Awesome stepped out from behind an outcrop, the three PPC's atomizing much of the rock Mowbray was using to shield himself.  Stepping out, Hanse fired his PPC and medium lasers, taking little notice of where they hit, he just wanted to distract the Awesome for a moment.  It worked, the Awesome turned towards him as Mowbray bounded away again.  Hanse stepped back in time to avoid the Awesome's return fire, then watched with satisfaction as Sgt. Hawkins Archer blanketed the Awesome with 40 LRM's.  The Awesome retreated, its armor now pockmarked and pitted.
"Dropships in five!"  Pruitts voice was strained, he had his own problems to deal with on the other side of the DZ.
Five more minutes.

Fall back, move around, fire.  The Awesome made another appearance, but ducked back again when confronted by Hawkins and the Prince.  The LZ was a warren of rocks and gully's, and the mag sensors were going off the chart.  It came down to who saw what first, and who fired first and best.  Hanse wheeled his Battlemaster around one outcropping, and ran full on into a pair of Sword Panthers that were trying to work around the flank.  One of them literally bounced off his mech, falling backwards.  The other snapped off a shot with the SRM and PPC, but both missed wide.  Hanse was better, his medium lasers reaching out and hitting the one panther in its already damaged chest.  With a shudder, the Panther shook, then fell backwards as a stream of smoke and metal worked its way through the holes in the armor,  the gyro shredding itself as it fell.  With a quick step back and a twist, Hanse kicked the other Panther in the hip with not only enough force to warp the actuator, but to bounce the humanoid mechs head off the rock as well.  Checking to make sure it was unmoving, Hanse stepped back again.  The Awesome made its presence known, the three PPC beams blasting the outcropping Hanse was standing next to.  Intentional or not, several boulders flew off and struck his mech, one of them with enough force to bend the barrel of a medium laser.  He watched out of the corner of his eye as Mowbray sailed again through the air, only this time he wasn't so lucky, as a pair of PPC beams and several LRM's caught him just before he landed.  One of the missiles hit the cockpit, and it jarred Mowbray enough that instead of landing properly, he landed feet first then pitched forward, the mechs momentum digging a furrow in the ground.

He was getting ready to step out from cover again and fire, when the ground a hundred meters in front of him exploded.  Scores of missiles and beams traced an imprecise line between the Davion and Kurita mechs, but it was enough to stop the Dracs from advancing.  Hanse glanced up, and saw the Overlord  class dropship descending.  Slightly above it were Four Unions, a Fortress, and a heavily modified Mule.  All showed signs of damage, one of the Unions in particular had several columns of smoke coming from one of the weapons bays.

The firing slowly died down.  A Kurita Marauder tried closing in, but several beams from the Overlord took it's legs off in a surgical manner.  As long as the 1st was under the dropships guns, they were safe.

The minutes ticked by.  One by one the mechs of the 1st Davion Guards moved into a dropship bay.  As if by unspoken agreement the Heavy and Assault lances were the last to move.

A Kurita Battlemaster stepped out of the line, stopping at just beyond the dropships effective weapons range.  With a smart salute it raised it's PPC in the air.  Hanse zoomed in, focusing on the mech.  The coiled dragon on the shoulder confirmed his suspicion.  He maneuvered his own mech forward and returned the salute, broadcasting in the open.

"Konnichi Wa, Coordinator."
"And to you Lord Davion."
"It has been a well fought series of battles Coordinator.  I salute you and your men."
"And I salute yours, Prince.  I must say your battlefield reputation precedes you." 
He was tired.  Two days of living in the cockpit had sapped his strength, and the last four hours of battle had drained what was left.  He had no time to play the game of obfuscation and little entreaties.  He could endure this small loss of face, after all, he won.
"Coordinator, you can see that your troops cannot advance.  My troops are embarking, and then  we are leaving.  You have lost this battle, but it is one you have fought with honor.  There is no shame in this loss."  It was good timing, but to emphasize his words one of the Unions lifted off in a blaze of ion plasma.
There was a pause, a moment of time that seemed to stretch out between the two. 
"You and your men have fought well, Prince Davion.  Until we meet again."  With surprising grace and agility, the Kuritan Battlemaster bowed.  Hanse hoped his return bow was equally graceful.  When he returned to a full standing position the second Union was lifting off.  He turned his comms back to the Guards frequencies.
"Contact, contact coming in fast, looks to be two ASF's, range 10 clicks and closing fast!"

They were closing in fast, two teardrop shaped Slayers.  The second Union, the Jonesboro was still in the process of lifting off, a slow, fat target that was to good to pass up. 

"I've got 'em." Sergeant Jess stepped forward, the Garret radar on top of his Rifleman spinning furiously.  Stepping forward he raised both the Riflemans arms to the sky, loosing a steady stream of autocannon and large lasers.  Jess was as good as his word, the first Slayer flew threw a stream of shells, shuddered in the air, and changed course, trailing black smoke.  Hanse heard Pruitt screaming on the radio for ASF cover of their own, but he was to busy following the second Slayer.  It came in at high speed, jinking up and down, but not fast enough for Jess.  The second Slayer shrugged off a few autocannon an laser hits, until one of them appeared to hit near the cockpit.  The plane, trailing smoke and pieces of structure, flew straight and narrow for a moment, then pulled up and at its best possible speed, flew into the lower side of the Jonesboro.

It was a morbid fascination, watching the event unfold.  The Jonesboro hung in the air for a few seconds, trying to right itself.  From within the interior of the ship was a sympathetic explosion, and one of the bay doors exploded outwards, followed closely by a Quickdraw that was tumbling end over end.  There was even more debris...paper, floating in the air.

The Jonesboros engine stuttered, then stopped, and then slowly began to fall back down.

It was the paper that caught his attention, the remains of the books they had fought the past four weeks  to save.

Close, so close.   

Several mechs dodged and jumped out of the way as the Jonesboro fell back to the ground.  If there was a saving grace, it was that it was too close to the ground to achieve terminal velocity on the way down, and the impact could have been much worse.

He wasn't sure who fired first.  He knew it wasn't him, but the next thing he knew the comms were alive with people screaming and cursing, and then the air was filled with missiles and laser fire as the 2nd Sword charged.

He screamed, the stress of the last few days, the sight of the books falling back to earth.  A war cry, inarticulate with rage, escaped from his lungs.  Turning, he raised his PPC and fired, watching as the fire of the nearest dropship reached out over him to try and stave off the advancing horde.  They couldn't fire for long, in a few moment they wouldn't be able to tell friend from foe.  He advanced firing as he went, caught up in the tunnelvision of rage and bloodlust.

He fired, he punched, he kicked, shrugging off the hammerblows of the enemy mechs.  He saw his target, the Battlemaster, standing and firing, a Marauder on one flank, an Orion on the other.  Missiles and lasers flew by him on all sides.  A Victor, maybe Mowbrays, flew through the firestorm and landed a few meters in front of the Battlemaster.  The Pontiac roared just as the Orion fired at it, jerking it away from its intended target and into the Marauders leg, which collapsed, taking the Marauder to the ground.  What armor remained was not enough to save Mowbray, his heat shielding gone, he ejected.  Hanse watched as the prone Marauder tracked Mowbrays chair then fired...

A barrage of missiles enveloped the fallen Marauder and the Battlemaster.  When the dust and debris cleared, the Marauder was immobile, black smoke escaping from the seams and joints.  The Battlemaster looked sandblasted, its armor pocked and dented, leg fused at the knee.

Hanse raised his PPC, the Battlemaster blinked under his reticle and he fired.  Nothing happened.  He pulled the trigger again, still nothing.  He risked a glance, and saw that half of it was missing, the remains a melted mess.
"When did that happen" he though to himself.  He tossed the remains aside, risked another look at his screens.  Voices filled his comms, the loudest was Pruitt's, cursing him and calling him back, urging others to go to his aid.  The Orion stepped in front of the Battlemaster, autocannon flashing,.  Hanse ignored the mech, moving closer to the Battlemaster as fast as he could.  The missiles had rattled the coordinator, maybe one or more had hit the cockpit and shaken him up some.  So much the better.
The Orion turned to tracked him, then recoiled as it was shoved aside by Hawkins charging Archer.  Despite its missing arm, the 70 ton mech rocked the heavier mech backwards, then fell under the Archers torso medium lasers and a couple of well placed punches.

"TAKASHI!" He screamed.  He was close now.  Rearing back, he punched, but the coordinator recovered in enough time to pull back, enough to avoid most of the damage.  The return punch was a hammerblow, crushing the remaining medium laser on his right torso.

He didn't know how long it lasted.  Kicking, punching, firing.  His gyro screamed in protest, the feedback from his neurohelmet was overwhelming.  Kurita punched and missed, over extending himself, and seeing an opening, Hanse returned with a punch of his own.  He smiled in grim satisfaction, saw the Coordinator looked out the cracked cockpit to see his fist coming towards it, maybe it would be the last thing he saw.Just as his own fist hit the "neck" joint of the Kuritan Battlemaster. Something struck the side of his mech, throwing him against his seat restraints hard enough that his head bounced off the side.

Pain, unbelievable pain.

Blackness.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2012, 19:38:32 by Davout73 »

Khan Jade Wolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Ut faciem venti bellum
« Reply #8 on: 25 June 2011, 18:00:33 »
 :o [drool] [rockon] More more more! [applause]
Semper paratus !

snakespinner

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 25 June 2011, 23:00:08 »
From interview with a Mercenary to this
Excellent.
I wish I could get a good grip on reality, then I would choke it.
Growing old is inevitable,
Growing up is optional.
Watching TrueToaster create evil genius, priceless...everything else is just sub-par.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 26 June 2011, 00:44:49 »
Superb.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

sandstorm

• Lieutenant
  • Slayers Clear the Way
« Reply #11 on: 26 June 2011, 04:00:09 »
You truly are a master with the words.
Ex Dubio, Obscura
--------------------
"Only a warrior chooses pacifism; others are condemned to it."

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: 01 July 2011, 13:41:07 »
I never want to see that again.  As long as I live.  I watched Yorinaga Kurita kill Ian, and the way he fought for those 10 minutes I know Hanse would have taken both of them on and killed them both.  And he may have ended up in better shape than he did on Halstead.

Giles Mowbray, AFFS, retired.

Losing most of his upper right leg was not the biggest obstacle he had to overcome.  Sure, he could have amputated and replaced the leg, or augmented what was left with myomer, but he refused it.  And it wasn't the lung damage either, although he did have those replaced.  That's not what hurt him most, it was the books.  We took six, maybe seven thousand from the Library.   Maybe half of those were lost on the Jonesboro, the rest were taken back to New Avalon, used to help found the Institute.  If your lucky, you can get a tour, watch them work on the books, catalog them, translate them.  Your behind six inches of glass, and they're in a clean room...There's a reverence to it.
All but one book.  He carries it with him everywhere.

Private Diary of Quintus Allard

At a best guess estimate, elements of the 1st Davion recovered 6,555 units of information from the Library on Halstead Station (A unit refers to a book, either whole or portion thereof, or electronic storage device in which some data is recoverable).  By the time the 1st reached the LZ, a little over 300 had been lost, most due to wear and tear.  Approximately 3,100 units were on the Jonesboro when it crashed.  878 were recovered by AFFS forces before lifting off.  At the time it was assumed that the hostile environment of the Halstead Station atmosphere would degrade and/or destroy the remaining units on the planet surface, but it  is known that Kuritan elements were able to recover close to 1500 units of information from the wreck of the Jonesboro.  Initial reports show that the majority of these are medical in nature, though it is known that several engineering and industrial texts are included as well.

From the Daily Briefing, MI3 section.  Declassified, 3066

Why couldn't that bastard just die already...damn his luck!

From the Private Diary of Michael Hasek

July 15th, 3014

The sound of the cane hitting the table was like a gunshot, and the conversation in the room immediately died.  Several participants around the table made an effort to look offended, but their efforts paled at they looked at the source of the sound.
Hanse Davion, six months removed from the Battle of Halstead Station, six weeks out of hospital, looked pale and tired, but his face was mask of anger and disappointment.
“Enough.”  The word hung over the assembly.  Business Leaders, Academics, planetary nobility of New Avalon, all were there to voice their protests against his latest proposal.
“This is ridiculous. This petty, internecine squabbling is over.  The Halstead Collection represents the biggest recovery of Lostech information  of the past 300 years.  It will not be broken up and parceled out, it will not be restricted, it will not be hidden from sight.”  A few people, mostly from the Academic representatives,  began to protest, but stopped when Hanse looked at them with a hard stare.
“The Science Institute of New Avalon will be built.  I do not care what it costs to build, because I will personally pledge the privy purse of the Davion family to ensure its construction and completion on time.  Any delay in its completion will not only incur my public disappointment, but my private wrath.
Yes, the Institute may draw away the best and brightest of business, but the simple fact of the matter is that the students they turn out, and the research the conduct under one roof instead of many, will lead to  a bigger pool of talent to draw from, and mean faster discoveries of new technology and faster implementation of old, rediscovered technology.  It does this nation no good if Business A and Business B are working on the same technological goal but do not share information.  You say you are worried about lost revenue from technologies produced, from license fees, from the lack of monopoly on being the first to bring a new item to market.  Oppose me and I guarantee I will  bring the full force of the Ministry of Ways and Means down on you, and if that means parking a Sheriff in your office to question everything you do as a CEO, I will. I do not care if you're GM or Federated Boeing.  You can explain to your stockholders why you thought it was better to go it alone, spend billions of C-Bills for Millions in returns over 20 years when cooperating would net you Billions of returns on Millions invested in 5 years.”  Several business representatives stare in open mouth shock.  This is a side of the Prince not seen before, in public or private.
“This is a matter of National Pride, of National Prestige, of National Honor.  The Institute will be a beacon for everyone, not just those of us in the Federated Suns, and I will not have it sullied anymore by this bickering.
“Is that clear?”
The tapping of the cane on the tabletop was the only sound in the room.

December 1st, 3015      

With great fanfare, the Coordinator officially opened the Luthien KenkyÅ«jo no Kagaku to Gijutsu (Luthien Institute of Science and Technology) today.  While many of the Combines best Scholars and Scientists have been here for the better part of year, repairing, translating and cataloging the tomes rediscovered at Halstead Station, today is the first day of School for the first class of students.  Brought here from all corners of the Combine, these are the best and brightest stars in the Dragon's Constellation, and in only a couple of years time they will further strengthen the Pillar of Teak, and in doing so further strengthen the Dragon.

Partial excerpt from Press report, Imperial Press, Luthien.

Khan Jade Wolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Ut faciem venti bellum
« Reply #13 on: 01 July 2011, 21:09:44 »
Dude that is more of how I saw Hanse Daion as the leader of Federated Suns. But there was never anything written of him that deep in the books I read!
 [rockon]
« Last Edit: 03 July 2011, 15:03:38 by Khan Jade Wolf »
Semper paratus !

Neufeld

• Captain
  • Raven, Lyran, Horse, Capellan, Canopian, Bear
« Reply #14 on: 03 July 2011, 14:04:30 »
Hanse, F.P.

"Real men and women do not need Terra"
-- Grendel Roberts
"
We will be used to subdue the Capellan Confederation. We will be used to bring the Free Worlds League to heel. We will be used to
hunt bandits and support corrupt rulers and to reinforce the evils of the Inner Sphere that drove our ancestors from it so long ago."
-- Elias Crichell

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 03 July 2011, 14:13:57 »
"When a Zibler is born, a new mech leaves the proving grounds" - Attributed to First Prince Melissa Davion, 2888.

September 19th, 3015

He had been to the Fox's Den before, but never to these private offices.  He stood outside a door, save for the hulking armored infantryman standing in front of it, would have been as nondescript as the others in the hallway.  Trying not to fidget, he checked his uniform one more time as best as he could.  The alarm on his watch beeped, and he knocked on the door.  Even before the second knock had landed, a loud voice called on him to "ENTER!"
Opening the door, he marched in smartly, stopping three steps away from the desk, and snapping off the smartest salute he could.  "Sir, Colonel Thomas Zibler reporting as ordered."
"Thank you Colonel. Sit." 
"She looks more like my grandmother in person than on the vids." He thought.  The Princes Champion, Marshall Yvonne Davion, did indeed have a matronly look about her.  She was perhaps the most powerful grandmother in the Inner Sphere, with the entire Armed Forces of the Federates Suns at her beck and call.  "She'd as soon drop an RCT on your head as she would feed you a cookie."
She smiled briefly at him, finished shuffling through some documents, and then looked at him squarely, hands in front of her.
"So, Colonel Zibler.  How do you like Strategy and Tactics?"
"It's fine Sir."
"It does give you a lot of free time, doesn't it?"
"Well, truth be told sir if I had my choice, I'd rather be doing than thinking, but at the moment, thinking is what they pay me to do.  If this is what I have to do to advance my career then I will do it to the best of my abilities."
Marshall Davion smiled at him, then picked up a folder, opened it and began reading.
"Thomas Andrew Zibler, born April 1st, 2978.  Entered Albion Military Academy at 16 in 2994.  Left Albion in 2996 and entered Sakhara, where you missed graduating with honors due to a large number of demerits incurred.  Assigned to the 1st Ceti Hussars as a Sargeant for 2 years, transferred to the 7th Crucis, where you fought at Lincoln in 3001, earning the Silver Sunburst Medal, a promotion to Leftenant, and three months in the brig.  Transferred to to 1st Chisholm's Raiders in 3005, promoted to Captain.  Demoted to Leftenant again in 3006, promoted to Captain again in 3008.  Promoted to Major 3011 as a reward for the fighting on Delacruz.  Transferred to New Avalon that same year, assigned to Strategy and Tactics, and you've been in a cubicle ever since.  Recent Promotion to Colonel six months ago was under the board and quite out of the ordinary.  Do you know why?"
"Sir, I wouldn't presume to know-"
"It wasn't your fathers influence, or your Uncles for that matter.  Or your Aunt the Countess."
"Janene?" he asked with surprise.
"No, I was referring to Agatha, your other Uncles, never mind, it's not important.  You got that promotion for you work with  the Ministry of Foreign Relations Department while you were seconded to Strategy and Tactics.  I have a memo here from Sub-Minster Felsner who praises your forthrightness and ability to think outside the box, while at the same time bemoaning your lack of tact where certain individuals and topics are concerned.  General Davies is of two minds on the matter, on one hand he is very impressed with you and your abilities, and he'd like to see you as part of his team.  His big fear is that he may use his other hand to strangle you while your there."
"I think I understand, Sir."  His voice was quiet.
"I know your a lifer, but let me ask you something.  Do you think your ready to spend the rest of your career as a colonel stuck in some middle office here on New Avalon?  I won;t deny you would do some great things, I've seen your first drafts of the proposed Gauntlet curricula for NAMA and if they are just the tip of the iceberg as it were for you.  They tell me that mentally you are very capable of doing great things, but some reason the mental filter that you need to become a success in the AFFS is just not there.  How soon do you think it would be before you said the right thing to the wrong person?  How long before you find yourself in charge of some depot on the ass end of the Outback asking yourself "Where did I go wrong?""  She looked at him, waiting for an answer.
He sat and thought about it for a moment, but only a moment.  It was a conversation he had with himself many times since he joined up, especially after that first demotion.  He wasn't married, he knew his one and only mistress would be the AFFS, but the thought of withering away at a desk was not what he wanted, but still.  He couldn't explain it really.  His reputation for honesty was well known, as was the
"Sir, if that's what the AFFS thinks I am best suited to do, nothing will stop me from giving it my all."
The Marshall sighed, and sat back in her chair, steepling her hands under her chin.  He suddenly felt like a wayward child caught with his hand in the cookie jar.  She stood up.
"Follow me Colonel," she said, standing up.  She exited a side door and he was right on her heels.  Past another hulking trooper, down a hallway, through a series of corridors, and he found himself in a small conference room, with a holotank in the center of it.
Sitting down at the chair at the head of the table, typed in a few commands.  The holotank came to life, zooming and twirling into focus.  He saw a few planets come into focus.
"The Point Barrow PDZ," the Marshall said.  "Oh, sit down Colonel, please."  She gestured to a chair, which he took.
A Few more taps of the keyboard, and several planets in the region came into the center of the screen, Kettering in the middle. 
"Kettering.  Defiance, Perdido, Minette, Xenia, Weldon, Bluford.  These worlds will make up the Kettering Proving Grounds.  This is going to be the training area for the AFFS."
Zibler couldn't help it, he leaned forward.
"The core unit of this area will be the Kettering Proving Ground RCT.  However, with only a few exceptions, there will be no mechs or vehicles assigned to this unit."
"Sir?"
"You don't have the clearance for this yet, but one of the discoveries at Halstead Station was a holoprojector network series of manuals.  Essentially, you rig an industrial or agromech with one and it can emulate any mech out there.  Throw on some dummy weapons, tie them into the computer networks, and you have a walking, running Battlemech.  And there are some decent customizable agro and industrial mechs out there that we can emulate probably 98% of anything in existence.  Vehicle's are even easier, a couple of wooden panels and your good to go there.
"Each training area is going to be watched and monitored by several systems, audio, video, satellite, all recording, all capable of being integrated and replayed.  The Kettering RCCT is going to be an aberration,  as an Opposing Force Unit it may be emulating a Capellan Unit one cycle, a Kuritan unit the next, a Taurian Unit followed by an Outworlds unit.  It needs to emulate those countries doctrines and way of fighting better than they do, but doctrine only goes so far.  I want a thinking, devious Davion trained mind behind those doctrines, because the idea is that a unit will come to Kettering and fight, and in the process get its tail kicked from pillar to post.  After the fighting comes the grading and that needs to be done as openly and honestly as possible, without the possibility of recrimination.  I don't want any shortcuts or ass kissing, if the son of Duke So and So can't tell down from up, then I want to know about it."
"Sir, may I ask why your telling me this?"
"Colonel Zibler, I've spent the past six months looking into your past and your record, and a few things have always cropped up.  You're an innovative thinker, an excellent teacher, and while you respect and tolerate the chain of command, when you do have a difference of opinion, those opinions have been made forcefully, factually, and without cruelty or malice.  Your knowledge of the CAF and DCMS is excellent, as are your organizational skills.  I need someone who can kick a person in the teeth, and do so with a smile, and then tell the victim what to do to avoid getting the same treatment the next time."  With a hard stare the Marshall looked at him, and with a few keystrokes the holotank shut down.
"Colonel, I am offering you Command of the Kettering Proving Grounds and Training RCT.  You get your pick of personnel, mostly;a fairly open budget, and a chain of command that goes from you, to my deputy, to me, and then the First Prince himself.  It's the closest thing to a blank check and dream chain of command that anyone in this Princes Army would kill to have."
"Are you ordering me to take this job Sir?" he asked.  His mind was already reeling with the possibilities, but part of him was sure this was a joke on the cosmic scale.
"Son, the depot on Maran needs a new laundry officer.  But then I'm not ordering you to take the Kettering command either.  You have a choice, those are your two options."
"Yes Sir, thank You Sir!" he said, standing up.
"Sit back down Colonel.  For the next three months this is your home.  You have access to 99% of the personnel files of the AFFS.  While you may request anyone, I have final say, is that clear?"
"Yes Sir."
"Excellent.  Initial groundwork and construction on Kettering is already underway.  Assembly and Training of the Kettering RCT begins in January, the unit will officially activate in February of next year.  Your first Cycle is September, against the 17th Avalon Hussars.  Each Cycle is going to be 6 weeks.  1 Week for the unit to assemble on planet, 4 weeks of combat exercises and review, 1 week for them to leave.  Your RCT then gets 6 weeks of repair, rest and preparation for the next unit, which should be 2nd Chisholm.  Both those will be scaled down to battalion size, we're still trying to figure out how to move a full RCT on the without causing to much fuss.
"Yes Sir. With your permission?"  Zibler indicated the keyboard at his chair.
"Of course Colonel." she replied.  He stood up and removed his jacket, then rolled up his sleeves, and sat down.  A few minutes later he was ensconced in his own world.  With a wry chuckle, Yvonne Davion, Marshall of the AFFS and Princes Champion, let herself out of the room and found one of her aides, a bright young Captain at his desk.
"Make sure he eats and sleeps on a regular basis Greg.  In fact, consider yourself his aide from this moment on.  He will frustrate you to no end, but it will be worth it."
"Yes Ma'am." replied Greg Sanromea-Davion, trying not to sound sullen.
"Cheer up Captain.  He's either going to make your career or break you while trying."  Her smile was nothing short of terrifying as she said those words.
« Last Edit: 24 August 2012, 19:39:45 by Davout73 »

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 03 July 2011, 14:15:13 »
Timeline

January - While fighting on Halstead Station, Hanse Davion is severely wounded and almost dies.  Takashi Kurita is also wounded, but not as severely.  Davion troops retreat with the majority of the cache, Kuritan troops also recover materials.

May – Anton Marik declares himself Captain-General of the Free Worlds League, precipitating the Marik Civil War.  Wolf's Dragoons are contracted to fight for Anton.

July – The founding of the Science Institute of New Avalon (SINA) is announced. 

August – The Luthien Institute of Science and Technology (LIST) is founded in the Imperial City.

February – Anton Marik's forces kill 26 of Wolf's Household staff (and supposedly family) on New Delos, including Joshua Wolf, Jaime's brother.  In retaliation, Alpha Regiment and the newly formed Black Widow company assault Anton's Ducal estate, killing him and essentially ending the rebellion.  A few weeks later Janos Marik offers the Dragoons a 5 year contract.

April – Maskirovka agents capture several geneticists from a Davion research Station on Sanilac.

May – DCMS forces invade Mara, pushing the defenders off in August.

December – The official openings of SINA and LIST are announced

January - Marshall Yvonne Davion announces a limited expansion of the AFFS, and the creation of the Kettering Proving Grounds.  The newly constituted units are the 4th, 5th and 6th Ceti Hussars, but for the moment, they are nothing more than cadres.

February – Construction of the Kettering Proving Grounds begins.  Assembly of the Kettering Training RCT begins as well.

March – Operation PINPRICK begins.  AFFS units begin raiding the Capellan Confederation, averaging one raid every two months for the next three years.

August – An unknown team of assailants attacks one of the hospitals attached to the Luthien Institute of Science and Technology, starting several minor fires that are soon contained and put out.  ISF investigates and pins the attack on the MIIO, who denies any knowledge of the attack.

September – The Kettering Proving Grounds are officially opened.  The first unit to participate, the 2nd Battalion and assorted infantry and armored units of the 17th Avalon Hussars RCT, are severely humbled in two months of mock combat.

Khan Jade Wolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Ut faciem venti bellum
« Reply #17 on: 03 July 2011, 15:31:04 »
Thank you for share this, keep it coming!
Semper paratus !

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 07 July 2011, 16:07:13 »
Timeline

February – Luthien Institute of Science and Technology announces new cancer treatments and therapies based on materials found at Halstead Station.

April – Capellan forces invade Spica.

May – After a weeks long running battle Capellan forces are forced off Spica.  Candace Liao is severely injured in the campaign.

July – Science Institute of New Avalon announces breakthroughs in Myomer grafts and cybernetics.

November – The pace of Operation PINPRICK slows down.  Davion raids on Capellan Space still continue, but at a reduced rate.

March – An  assassination attempt is made on Hanse Davion and Michael Hasek-Davion's life while both are meeting on New Avalon.  Privately Hanse suspects that Michael was behind it all, but an intense investigation by MIIO reveals that Michael knew nothing about the attempt.

June – Hansen's Roughrider's are hired by the Lyran Commonwealth.

July – Hanse Davion begins a tour of the Outback Region.

November – Planning begins in the Free Worlds League for an attack into Steiner space.

December - Janos Marik presents the plan to Wolf's Dragoons.

January –  Wolf's Dragoon's cross the border into Steiner Space.  Over the next six months they conduct a dizzying array of raids deep into Steiner Space, culminating with the drop on Hesperus.
By the middle of July, despite facing overwhelming numbers, the Dragoons are within sight of the entrance to the battlemech factories, but carefully hidden Lyran reinforcements, including Hansen's Roughrider's, force the Dragoons to retreat off planet with heavy casualties at the end of June.  Retreating back to Sterling, the Dragoon's exercise their escape cause and disappear into the Periphery again.

August – At a meeting on Filtvelt, Hanse Davion and several business leaders announce the recreation of the Outremer March.  The business leaders are there to announce expansion plans on several planets in the Davion outback.  In a series of backroom deals, Hanse Davion has given them financial incentives to expand in the Outback, related to tax breaks and “other” incentives.

December – Wolf's Dragoons return to the Inner Sphere, and accept an offer from the Lyran Commonwealth.

January – Maximilian Liao starts secret negotiations with Michael Hasek-Davion

March – Katrina Steiner sends her peace proposals to the other Successor Lords of the Inner Sphere.

April – The Outremer is officially incorporated in the Federated Suns.  Hanse Davion reads the Archons proposals and is intrigued by the possibilities presented.  An honest answer in May starts a slow dialogue between the two nations.

June – Retired DCMS Colonel Lloyd McGavin forms the Night Stalkers.

August – Maximilian Liao and Michael Hasek-Davion conclude a neutrality pact.

November – 1st Battalion of  the 1st New Ivaarsen Chasseurs becomes the first unit to tie the Kettering Proving Ground RCT.  It is the first time the Kettering RCT has not won.
« Last Edit: 07 July 2011, 16:11:31 by Davout73 »

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 07 July 2011, 16:09:30 »
September 29th, 3017
Fort Blaine, Defiance
Kettering Proving Ground

"No, No, No, No, and for the last time, No Captain."  Major Jasper Hathaway's voice was beginning to lose its patience.  "Watch the replay again."
The lights were dimmed, the holotank came back to life.  The planet rotated, and zoomed into the Profitt Valley.  A column of mechs on route march advanced.  There were flankers out on either side, but there was a certain, sloppiness to unit.  A couple of enemy tanks appeared over the ridge line, and fired some LRM's, an ineffective spread but one that caught the column by surprise.
"Contact Left!  Two Saracen's at 400 meters!"
A series of confused commands came down, and the column slowly reoriented itself and began to move after the hovertanks.  A few more hovertanks popped out and fired, what appeared to be two lances of Saracens executed a perfect fighting withdrawal further into the valley.  A few minutes later, as one mech moved up the hillside, the ground erupted in a column of flame and smoke, followed closely by others.  A simulated minefield and artillery strike rained down, the computers incapacitating damaged and destroyed mechs by locking their systems down. All the mechs in the column were damaged to some degree, some destroyed outright.  The comms came to life again briefly, until the computers and referees shut down their comm systems.  A lance of heavy Mechs, painted in Capellan colors, came over the hill and made short work of the remaining damaged mechs.  A couple of Davion mechs were able to disengage, but in less than 10 minutes the majority of a company was damaged or destroyed.
"Captain, did you ever consider that the tanks were a lure, a decoy?" asked a referee, hidden by the dark?
"Yes Sir," Captain Angus Macaffee.
"How Captain?" asked another referee.
The silence was heavy.
"Lets face facts," said Major Hathaway.  "If you thought this was a decoy, why not have your recon element investigate?"
"Sir, I -"
"You didn't think to have them investigate." interrupted the Major.  "You heard the shots, and directed everybody towards the sound of the guns, full speed, against a unit that was smaller and more maneuverable than you.  You became so locked on those tanks you ignored the tactical reality of the situation, right?"
The silence lasted for a few seconds.
"Right?" This time Major Hathaway was on the verge of yelling.
"Yes Sir."  If Captain Macaffee could have sounded more dejected, he would have.
"Excellent Captain.  Accpetence is the first step on the road to improvement." There were a few chuckles.
"Whose the Leftenant who managed to retreat?" It was a question Hathaway already knew the answer to, but he wanted to see if Macaffee would volunteer it.
"Leftenant Rodgers sir." 
"Leftenant Rodgers, what would you have done differently?"
"Reconned the area a little more aggressively sir.  We were to lax in our march, and we failed to utilize our supporting elements to their fullest extent."
"That's true.  Win the recon battle and you have the advantage.  Go in blind and you just might find yourself on the wrong end of the stick, right Captain Macaffee?"
"Yessir," came the still dejected voice.
"Lights," called out Major Hathaway, shutting the holotank down. 
The Mechwarriors of Delta Company, 2nd Battlion, 33rd Avalon Hussars were a dirty, grimy lot.  They had come out of the valley, back to the makeshift mech bays and directly into the review room, with barely enough time for a drink and a quick bite.  The referee's had found out early on the quicker the review began, the quicker a resolution began.
"Look Captain," said Hathaway, coming to the center of the floor. "We've all screwed up at one time or another.  The good thing is you and your company walked away from this with nothing more than a few bumps and bruises. It's a lesson you need to learn from.  If you don't learn from it one of two things is going to happen.  You'll be cashiered from the service, or you be killed while serving.  Remember that the next time you're out there, which will be in about six hours.  You're OpOrd will be sent then."
Major Hathaway smiled, and it wasn't friendly.  "And the Warriors of House Jomamma look forward to beating you on the field of battle again.  Dismissed."

"I wasn't expecting to see you here, House Master," Major Hathaway said with a smile.  He himself was dressed in a very good facsimile of a CCAF House Battalion leader.
"I wasn't expecting to be here, either.  How go the travails of House Jomomma?"  Colonel Zibler said with a grimace.  He didn't like the name, one of the first OpFor captains had come up with it.
"We have added many glorious victories to the House of Liao, captured many banners, and shamed many Davion Dogs." was the smiling reply.  "On a lighter note, kicking butt and taking names.  How go things on Perdido?"
"The 1st Dragon Regiment of the Draconis Combines Misguided Soldiery do well, but that's not why I am here.  Listen Jasper, I've got some good news and bad news." 
"Oh.  Well, hit me with the bad news first."
"Words come down from On High.  After the next cycle, we stop training for 9 months, equipment upgrades, and we need time to integrate the new members."
"New members sir?  That's ahead of schedule."
"I know, which leads me to my good news," replied Zibler, reaching into his pocket.  He handed over a pair of Leftenant Colonel epaulets to Hathaway, who stared at them in silence for a minute.
"When, Where?"
"After the next cycle.  Your being transferred to the 6th Ceti Hussars, they're being moved to Bromhead.    You're the new CO of Combat Command Beta.  In a way I envy you, I served in the Ceti Hussars, I miss it...its a great opportunity."
"Yes Sir, Thank You, Sir."  They started walking down the hallway again.
"I am sorry to lose you Jasper, you're a good referee, and a top commander.  I'm on my way to find Captains Shore and Jarvis, they're getting transferred out as well."
"And Captain MacIntyre?"
"She gets your job, and well deserved at that."
"Yes Sir, I do agree with that.  I know where she is, I think it might be more appropriate to tell her first."

November 23rd, 3019
Location Unknown

"You look tired."
"The death of a brother will do that to you."
"It is more than just his death..."
"You have my sympathies, as alien as they are to me on this manner.  I wish I could say I know how you feel, but I have never lied to you in the past, and I am not going to start now."
"In time.  In time.  At this point there needs to be a strong leader, and there are very few who have been with us since the beginning willing to step up.  I've asked, and the one person who came close to agreeing said they could never do it while I was still there, looking over their shoulder.  And she was right." 
"I can understand that point of view.  I still get my elbow jogged from time to time, its enough that I want to declare a circle and get it over with, but that would be rash."
They walk in silence for a minute. 
"I have a change of orders for you."
"Oh?"
"The Council is becoming...agitated.  It's becoming more and more difficult to reign in the Crusaders.  Three, maybe five generations, and they will be ready, and I cannot guarantee which way the vote will go."
"I understand.  What do you wish us to do."
"Unless circumstances warrant it, you are to stay behind.  Fulfill your original mission, serve each House, and when that is done, prepare."
"For?"
"The coming storm.  You and I both know what could happen when the crusaders get their way.  You and I know that's not the way it should be.  So we want you to prepare."
"That...could be difficult.  There has been a complication."
"What complication?"
"Something is not right with Blake's creation.  We heard a name on New Delos.  One I cannot place, but one that is troubling to me."
"What name?"
"The Blessed Marillier."

A few days later.

"I will do what I can to find out the source of the name for you.  My orders however remain unchanged.  This is your new charge:  Serve the remaining Houses, then find a new home, and do what you can to prepare.  If I can warn you, I will.  Unless it is an emergency of the highest order, this is the last time you and I will probably see each other.  So long my friend.  Tell Natasha she is welcome back with open arms."
"Your getting better at lying Kerlin."
« Last Edit: 24 August 2012, 19:41:46 by Davout73 »

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 10 August 2011, 20:03:47 »
The following conversation was recorded on June 10th, 3020 in the Office of the first Prince of the Federated Suns.  Present are the First Prince Hanse Davion, the Minister of Intelligence Investigations Quintus Allard, and Foreign Minister Olivia Fenton. Released to the public on June 10th, 3070.

June 10th, 3020
New Avalon

Hanse Davion:  Good morning Olivia, Quintus. 
Both replying:  Good Morning Hanse.
HD:  I take it you've both had the opportunity to go over the Archon's reply.
QA:  Backwards and forwards.  I must admit it has me a little worried, but that's entirely due to my own paranoia.
HD:  How so?
QA:  Well, lets be honest, her Peace Proposal was nothing more than a cease fire writ large, essentially maintaining the status quo.   
OF:  Which is what, in your opinion, Minister?
QA:  That things are slowing down.  The tempo of operations has slowed to such that large scale operations that were the hallmark of the First and Second Succession wars are no longer possible.  Wait, I shouldn't say impossible, but rather improbable.  Everyone is ground to a halt, or nearly so.  Sustaining offensive operations on a long term scale is no longer plausible or feasible.  Something is going to have to change.  She knows that.  We know that.  Any leader worth his or her salt knows that.  And to be honest, the economic proposals in her message are heavily weighted in her favor.  If sh were serious, why negotiate like that?
OF:  I think her proposal is a starting point.  She set the bar high, but not so high, I think there's room to negotiate.  But what if her proposals go beyond what she sent.  Reading between the lines of course.
HD:  How so?
OF:  I am reading her differently of course.  I think she truly meant what she sent out, as much as you truly meant your reply to her, and the next two communiques are nothing short of astonishing, at least to me.  There's a real opportunity here.
QA:  For what?  A dialogue?
OF: Yes.  Look, I don't want to have to point out the obvious here, but the fact of the matter is these last three months of communications are the first time in over a century two House leaders have talked to one another without threatening some sort of military action, and I think there is some real opportunity here.
HD:  For what?
OF:  More talking.  Whats the damage, short and long term, if we build on the small dialogue we have here?
QA:  True.  Talking doesn't hurt either of us in the long run, at worse we sound each other out.
HD:  And best case, in your opinion?
OF:  Formalized trade Trade and Tariff agreements?   Technology Transfers? The Lyran Market and Economy  could be as much a boon to us as ours could be to them, and they know it.  The fact that we share borders with a common enemy can't hurt our cause either, especially if we frame the discussion that way as well when the time matters.
QA:  I agree.  It will be years before we see a return on the investment in the Outremer, at last two decades before we break even on just out initial investment, Lyran currency  and equity would go a long way in redressing that balance.
HD:  I Agree. What's your read on your counterpart Olivia?
OF:  I think she's intrigued by the possibilities as well.   
HD:  OK.  Let's take a chance here.  Olivia, next message tell the Grafina that  your willing to conduct a face to face series of meetings, if you have to agree to do it on one of their coreward worlds, New Earth perhaps.    Set it up for  three, four months from now.  In the meantime I want a team to study the potential effects of a series of economic agreements, ranging from the limited to the unlimited, maybe if we can sell them on the idea of mutual economic treaty, we can get some more out of it as well.
OF:  Yes Sire. With your permission then?  <Minister Fenton leaves>

“Billions of C-Bills are being invested, on what?  Infrastructure, they say.  In order to build an economy in this  “Outremer”, they first have to prepare the planets  to be able to support an economy.    So I ask, why invest Billions in building infrastructure to prepare for an economy when there is already an economy languishing here in the Capellan March.  Has the Outremer suffered the depredations we have?  No.  Do they live under the threat of the Capellan Sword as we do?  No.  In fact, were it not for the sacrifices of the Capellan people, it could be that the Outremer would be worse of than it is now.  But your still going to tell me that those worlds need the help more than those of the Capellan March?”

From an editorial in the New Syrtis Times, widely reputed to have been written by Duke Hasek-Davion.

“There is only one thing worse than a clever man trying to be devious, and that is a devious man trying to be clever.  Duke Hasek-Davion is either blind or ignorant, and I know he's a smart man.  Building up the Outremer means more of our industries and wealth away from the front lines, where they cannot be raided, stolen, or destroyed.  When Hasek has to fight the Capellans to take his planet back, then he can complain.”

From the Private Diary of James Sandoval

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #21 on: 10 August 2011, 20:04:58 »
November 24th, 3021
Fort Ian
Kettering Proving Grounds
Kettering

He was sitting at his desk, eyes deep in paperwork, when he heard the door open. 
"Be with you in just a moment," He muttered.  He read the latest report from Major Dupree, who commanded his 3rd Battalion.  They had just kicked 2nd Battalion, 2nd New Ivaarson Chasseurs in the teeth, hard.  Really hard judging by the accompanying comments the Battalion commander has attached in his own defense.  The door shut, and he assumed whoever had stuck their head in had left.  His aide probably saw the look on his face and was doing his best to cover for him.  He was very good at that. 
"Rough Day Colonel?" asked a voice.
He knew that voice.  Dreaded that voice.  He looked up from his notepad, and sitting in front of him was Yvonne Davion, Marshal, Princes Champion.
It didn't happen to Thomas Zibler often, but when he froze, he froze.  Hard.
"Don't get up Colonel.  It's not as if you knew I was coming."
So this is how the axe fell.  With a grandmotherly smile and an offer of cookies...
"Uh, No Ma'am.  Thank you Ma'am, I was unawares of your travel plans."
"Well, to be honest, this is a brief visit, I am on my way to Broken Wheel for a meeting and a tour of the PDZ.  I must say Colonel, that you have exceeded even my expectations.  Not a cycle goes by now when my deputy doesn't get a message from the last CO who came through complaining about something you said, or did."
"Are those something I should be apologizing for Ma'am?'
"Good gracious! No!"  Great, he thought, even her laugh was matronly.  "That's one of the reasons he's there, so I don;t have to listen and or read them out right.  I should also tell you that I have another folder, albeit one not as thick, with messages from others who have participated saying it's on of the better things to happen to them.  And to be honest, we're seeing an uptick in requests to transfer to the unit."
"I've seen those too Ma'am."  It was a new phenomenon to him, actually having outsiders request in.  Since the Proving Ground RCT had been created he had vetted all the members, approved them all, and with only a couple of mistakes, had done very well.  That those previous members of his unit had gone on to do some very good things obviously had caught the attention of others.
"I will say though, a number of feathers have been ruffled in some of the After Action Review Sessions.  Mostly CO's and XO's who feel they are being to harshly judged in front of their troops."
Zibler, couldn't help it.  He groaned and put his head on his desk, and would have banged it more than a few times had not the Right Hand of the First Prince been sitting there.  He sat back up.
"You know Ma'am, when we first started doing this, that was one of our primary concerns.  And the first couple of rotations, we had the Commander's sit in a different AARS, but we found out petty quickly it devolved into a "My CO told me to do this" and "My troops misunderstood/ignored/didn't hear me."  It became a bitch session where every0ne was blamed, no one took responsibility, and nothings going to improve that way.  No, AARS where everyone is present is the only way to go.  If your ego gets bruised, it gets bruised.  But better bruised here then dead on the battlefield."
If she was at all disturbed by his physical actions she didn't show it.  Yvonne nodded her head.
"I fully agree with that point of view Colonel.  And I and the Prince will continue to endorse that point of view.  If a commander cannot willingly admit his mistakes in front of them men and women he commands, then he shouldn't be allowed to send him into battle."
"Well, to be honest Ma'am, that sounds a lot better coming from you than it does from me."\
"How so?"
"Apparently I'm just a Colonel with an ego problem and no tact."
Marshal Davion looked at him for a brief moment, then reached into her tunic.
"What if I could solve that?"
"I'm afraid you can't Ma'am, the tact thing will always be an issue."
"I didn't mean that."  She tossed something on his desk.
Zibler was obviously tired.  When he looked at them they were Marshal's tabs.  He was buried on the list.
"I didn't take you for the practical joker Ma'am."
"It's not.  I had an interesting communique from Marshal Nicholas Stephenson, after his units rotation here.  He thought that you and your subordinates made a lot of good points, did a lot of good things, had a lot of things to teach his unit.  But then the RCT XO piped up and said that you were getting to much time and consideration, especially as, and I quote "A Colonel in command of an RCT that exists on paper only."
Thomas picked the tabs up in one hand, holding them.  A Marshal.  He never thought he'd make it past Major, not after that incident.
"Ma'am, not to belabor the point, but isn't this just a dodge.  An end run around the critics?"
Yvonne Davion smiled, which was disarming.
"It is.  But the fact of the matter is Marshall Stephenson has a point.  So he raised the issue. And it was passed along."
Zibler, despite his best effort, sighed, and picked the tabs up.
"Some people will still think it's a dodge."
Smiling, Marshal Davion reached into her tunic again and pulled out a piece of heavy paper, and handed it to Zibler.  He opened it, read it once, then dropped it on the table.
"I'd frame it, put it behind you or keep it close, so the next time someone tries to discount this, they are put in their place."  She glanced at her chrono.  "No rest for the wicked Marshal Zibler.  You have my congratulations, and my thanks.  However, I do have a request for you."
"Yes Ma'am?"
"I understand that next years rotation has the 5th Syrtis Fusiliers coming?"
"Ah, yes Ma'am, that's true."
"Make sure they leave with their tails tucked between their legs."
"Yes Ma'am!"
The Princes Champion stood, and Zibler shot to his feet as well.  His half baked attempt at a salute was met with a laugh and a wave.  "Good Day Marshal Zibler.  Congratulations on your recent promotion, and good luck to you and yours this coming year."  She shut the door behind her as she left.
Zibler, unsteady on his feet for a few moments, sat down, then picked up the paper again, and read:

June 15th, 3021

Be it known to all, on this 15th Day of the Month of June, in the year Three Thousand Twenty One, Thomas Andrew Zibler is hereby promoted to the rank of Marshal, date effective immediately, by my order, signed by my hand.

Hanse Davion.

The veriagraphed signature was just icing on the cake...
« Last Edit: 24 August 2012, 19:43:33 by Davout73 »

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 10 August 2011, 20:05:48 »
Time Line 3021- 3025

March – Comstar and Janos Marik finalize an agreement that allows Marik's youngest son Thomas to become the heir of the Free Worlds League.

May – The LIST announces a breakthrough in cancer treatments.  The SINA announces a new treatment in the regeneration and regrowth of bone.

September – Wolf's Dragoons attacks Dromini VI.  Infighting among the Kuritan commanders allows the Dragoons to decimate the DCMS defenders.  During the campaign Minobu Tetsuhara encounters Jaime Wolfs damaged Archer and allows him to leave the field of battle unhindered.

November – After encountering difficulties from the commanders of units whose performance has been revealed as lacking at the Kettering Proving Grounds, Princes Champion Yvonne Davion promotes Thomas Zibler to Marshall and gives him overall command of the Kettering Proving Grounds Zone.

January – Smithson's Chinese Bandits raid Sian.

May – The Federated Commonwealth Accords are signed on Terra. Galtor III is captured from the Draconis Combine.

October – The Initial Proclamation of the Concord of Kapteyn is announced.

November – McCarron's Armored Cavalry begins its raid into the Federated Suns, hitting Kathil.  Maximilian Liao meets with Michael-Hasek Davion on Lee.

December – Wolf's Dragoons exercises its escape clause with the Lyran Commonwealth and enters into contract with the Draconis Combine

March – The 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry becomes the first unit to win a Kettering Proving Ground Campaign, with a record of 5-4-1. 

March – While out on a tour of the region, First Prince Hanse Davion and his escort of Heavy Guards encounter McCarron's Armored Cavalry during their raid on Beten Kaitos.  In a week long running battle, the AFFS forces whittle down the MAC forces, injuring McCarron on the last day of the battle.  The MAC retreat off planet, and although injured, McCarron is still able to coordinate his now infamous raid.

May – Taking advantage of the massive tax breaks being offered by the Exchequer, Several companies announce expansion plans in the Outremer.  Federated Boeing announces the construction of a new manufacturing center in Filtvelt.  General Motors of Kathil announces a new civilian motor vehicle factory will be built at Broken Wheel.  Already 30 other companies have set up divisions on Zolfo, where recent mineral and oil deposits have led to a booming system.  In addition, the AFFS and Department of Education begin constructing the Outremer Academy System.  With the primary campus, also doubling as a Military Academy on Filtvelt, and Satellite campuses on PDZ command worlds, the Outremer should see improvements in a very short while.

June – In a rapid campaign, AFFS forces retake Tancredi, ending a 10 year Combine occupation of the Planet.

August – Wolf's Dragoons raid David, and the next four months go on to raid Elidere and Cimmaron.

October – The MAC attack the Listowel Depot.

February – The Dragoons raid Breed, starting a trend of almost 1 raid every six weeks on a new Federated Suns Planet planet for the year.

March – The MAC attack Kathil again, surprising the local units. 

June – The first Lyran students start attending the NAIS. 

July – MAC hits Mira and Mesartim, then cross back into Capellan space in October. 

August - September– The Kettering Proving Ground RCT defeats the 10th Lyran Guard in a series of closed games on New Earth. 

October – While traveling back to the PGZ, the Kettering Proving Ground RCT stops briefly on New Avalon.  While there, Marshall Zibler is reassigned.  The Kettering Proving Grounds Zone is now commanded by Marshall Erik LeFarge, former CO of the 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry.

November – Elements of the 12th Star Guards arrive in in the Lyran Commonwealth, commencing a new contract.

December - Lyran troops defeat the Combine on Severn.

January – Two Regiments of Wolf's Dragoons hit Deshler, beginning a bloody four month campaign. 

February – Operation SWIFT LANCER commences, as AFFS units begin several raids on the Combine border.  Marlowes Rift, Delacruz, Capra, Thestria, and Al Na-ir are hit in rapid succession the rest of the year.  On Thestria, the 1st Chisholm Raiders, a recent “graduate” of the Kettering Proving Grounds, soundly defeats Epsilon Regiment of the Wolf's Dragoons.

April – Capellan Forces invade and conquer Redfield.

May – Acting on what was supposed to be false intel, the Combine invades Galtor III in search of a Star League cache, setting off one of the most brutal, contested campaigns of the early century.  By September, more than 20 different units on both sides will have rotated through combat on the planet  Serious infighting between the two Combine commanders prevent them from coordinating together.

July – Taking advantage of an AFFS High Command distracted by the Galtor Campaign, Capellan units jump to Stein's Folly, and in a swift campaign eject the Davion troops from the planet.

August-October  A curious time for the Federated Suns, after celebrating the victory over the Draconis Combine on Galtor and Deshler, the AFFS moves to blunt the Liao troops on Steins Folly, and do so in a swift campaign.  Soon after the battle, Hanse Davion begins to openly repudiate provisions of the Federated Commonwealth Accords, going so far as to remove several people from their posts and jail others.  It is eventually discovered that Hanse Davion has been kidnapped while on a working retreat on Argyle, and replaced by a body double. 

August – The LCAF 2nd Royal Guard beats the 3rd Ceti Hussars in the Second Alliance Games, held on New Earth.  It is later revealed the 2nd Royal has done noting but train the past 9 months in preparation for the Games.

November – By mutual exhaustion, the Third Succession War ends.

December – Takashi Kurita announces the formation of the Ryuken.

drakensis

• Lieutenant
« Reply #23 on: 12 August 2011, 02:54:06 »
Very interesting.
"It's national writing month, not national writing week and a half you jerk" - Consequences, 9th November 2018

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 12 August 2011, 08:25:32 »
Very interesting.

Actually, what's interesting, to me anyways, is that with exception of the KPG, some operation names and the POD changes, 90% or more of the timeline is Canon

Davout
« Last Edit: 12 August 2011, 08:27:15 by Davout73 »

Khan Jade Wolf

• Master Sergeant
  • Ut faciem venti bellum
« Reply #25 on: 12 August 2011, 08:48:48 »
It is by far better than My own  book!
Semper paratus !

EricJ

• Private
    • My Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 12 August 2011, 08:53:24 »
A good read so far...

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 17 August 2011, 21:19:13 »
From an Intelligence briefing in September, 3022.

AFFS units are stretched to the limit.  With constant raids on the Draconis Border, and the aftereffects of the Tancredi Operation, and tensions on the Capellan border still at an all time high, something has to give, and soon.  And if this present raid by McCarron is a sign, we are in no position to do much. 
It's telling that Kurita is using Wolf's Dragoons for these raids, as they must use their own supplies, and then buy replacements from Kurita, Is this an attempt to try and force them into the company store approach?   With regards to current operations, something has to change soon.  Years of Low Intensity Conflict have taken their toll.  We all have reached a breaking point.  And the question before us is:  Who will break first?

June 3023

So what, they announced new investments.  I don't care what he spends, or how he spends it.  I know for a damned fact I ain't seeing any of the results in my lifetime.  Unless he's putting extra bodies in my fields so I can harvest the crops faster, I could care less who's coming here and why.

From the trivid series Interview in the Outremer

September 3023

Look, we're no slouches.  Next time you run across the 8th Sword of Light or the 3rd Prosperina Hussars, you ask them “Hey, are the 22nd Avalon Hussars walkovers?”  They'll give you the straight stuff.
Anyways, everybody's heard of Kettering.  We had a company Commander in the unit who was part of the unit there for a year, and the Colonel picked his brains but good.  And we practiced as well, blew through our training budget in almost 5 months.  Heck, we had guys in the sims on weekends and holidays practicing...May rolls around and we are ready.
So we get there, we pass and review, and we go to the first briefing.  And this room, it's like something out of the movies.  Holo display's and graphics everywhere, manipulative video feedback, sensor tie ins.  I thought that stuff only existed in the movies, it was that shit hot.  Anyways, we sit down, and across the room is the Kettering folks, and they looked, I don't know...bored. Marshal Zibler, he was on the ball though.  Spent three hours talking about what the next six weeks were going to entail, but it felt like 20, 30 minutes tops.  I loved the line about “After Action Review Sessions are not the place where you air out your grievances with your current command.  They are not the place to belittle and attack those you serve with.  What happens on the Training Ground is recorded and played back, without any edit.  So when you screw up, and you will, everyone will see it.  This is a learning opportunity ladies and gentleman.  Learn here, bleed less when its real.”
So that night were at one of the local watering holes, shooting the breeze.  The Kettering Guys are playing it pretty close to the vest, and I notice there's a sign above the bar, that says 23-1-4.  I ask one of the Kettering guys what that is, and he says that's the scoreboard.  Since 3016, they've averaged 4 cycles a year, fought 28 different units, and in that time they've gone 23-1-4, with the average score being 7-2-1 out of ten missions on the rotation.
So, I ask him.  “So, who was the 1?”  And he says “2nd Battalion, 1st Federated Suns Armored Cavalry.”  And I'm thinking, those guys are tip man, no wonder Kettering lost.  And the troop I'm talking to sees it in my face, and says “Final score was 5-4-1.  They had to win the last battle on the last day to pull out the win.  And they deserved it.”
I'm thinking to myself, man, that's gotta smart.  RUMINT said the Kettering troops were a bunch of insufferable prancing ponies because they never, ever lost.  They were good, they knew they were good, you knew they were good and they were still going to wipe the board with you.  So anyways, we're drinking and shooting the breeze, and I know I had to many cause I say “Man, I would have hated to be the unit that came in after the FSAC.  I know you guys must have been angry about losing for the first time, and just itching to take it out on whoever is next.  Guy smiled, and set his beer down. 
“You could say that,” he says.
“So, who was the next unit?” I ask, ordering another beer.
“Why Troop, that would be you guys.”  And the guy pats me on the shoulder and walks out.  And I get this feeling in the pit of my stomach like I'm going to throw up.
And they cleaned our clocks.  We went 2-8 against them, and one of those was a gift. 

From “Damn, I Volunteered for This?”, the memoirs of Mechwarrior Cody Jones, 3018-3048.

Look, I know a few  things after “fighting” the 10th Lyran on New Earth.  One is that we train more than any unit in the Inner Sphere, so it stands to reason we're going to be good.  Two.  I ran into a Colonel who had seven years in uniform.  Seven.  And he had two rows of medals, one of which he earned by jumping into a system and then out again because the local ASF patrol fired at the dropship he was on.  Third, if the 10th Lyran is a good Elsie unit, they're in trouble.  Given the proper jumpship and supply support I have no doubt I could make my way to Tharkad and beat any unit, or any three units, there with next to no trouble.  Four, When I told Duke Frederick that, I think he was ready to join me, but not for the same reasons.  The Man's brave, but lord, he's a sledgehammer, and not every problem, strategic or tactical, is a nail waiting to be hammered.  That said, God help whomever they face should they get competent.

From a communique to Marshal Yvonne Davion, from Marshal Thomas Zibler.

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 17 August 2011, 21:20:23 »
New Avalon
November, 3025

"Who is he?"
"We have no idea.  He know from his bloodwork that he is from one of the Rasalhauge planets."
"How so?"
"He has antibodies in his system to fight Harkung's Disease.  Which is only found on a couple of planets in the Rasalhauge district.  Plus there is his DNA itself.  It compares quite favorably to certain Scandinavian stock found in Rasalhauge."
"What about his DNA."
"We believe parts of it have been changed,  in particular those strands and segments that relate to eye color and hair color."
"And his memory?"
"His original memory?  Wiped.  We don;t know how, other than it was aggressive.  His mind was basically emptied and filled with yours highness.  He believes he is Hanse Davion."
"Well, he certainly came close enough.  Do we have an idea who did this?"
"Well, we don't have the technology, at least the DNA change technology.  That to me speaks of Kuritan influence, many of their recent medical breakthroughs are based on DNA, RNA and amino acid manipulation.  The mind wipe could be any of the houses really, but judging from the evidence proffered by the other conspirators, that was Liao's doing."
"So we have a Kuritan citizen who was mindwiped by Liao into becoming me?"
"It would appear so, Highness."
"And the leg?"
"They did that, medically speaking.  It appears they even broke his arm and reset it so it would reflect the injury you suffered when nine."
"Monstrous, simply monstrous.  To think what he could have done had he succeeded."
"To be honest Sire, he wouldn't have been able to accomplish much."
"What do you mean."
"He's dying sire.  Or at least his brain is."
"WHAT!?  How?"
"The changes in his DNA have caused his body to reproduce T-Cells and attack elements within his body, in particular several areas of his brain, those that were wiped.  I would like to call it unintended consequences of what happened, but there is a certain, elegance...to whats happening to him that makes me think this was intentional."
"So whats going to happen to him?"
"In effect sire he has the effects of rapid onset Alzheimers.  In three years, five tops, he will no longer be able to function beyond autonomic body control, but that's just guessing.  It is not something I would wish on my worst enemy."
"What about your two worse enemies?"
"Excuse me Sire?"
"Nothing.  Do what you can.  Spare no expense."
"As you order, Sire."
« Last Edit: 24 August 2012, 19:44:14 by Davout73 »

Davout73

• Captain
« Reply #29 on: 17 August 2011, 21:26:02 »
New Avalon
January 15th, 3025

The nice thing about being underground was the warm air.  The not so nice thing was you forgot what the sun looked and felt like, although judging from the reports of local weathermen no one had seen or felt the sun in a few days.  You also forgot to what time it was.  If it weren't for the attendants, and the meal schedule, a person could quickly lose track.
Of course, a few weeks of inactivity meant losing track of the days was the least of many things to worry about.  Losing his mind over inactivity was another.  On the surface he had a nicely appointed apartment he never spent any time in.  In the Den he had been given an office, a small staff, and nothing else.  Various memo's came across his desk, he read them, then usually threw them away.  The only ones he did save were regarding the Kettering.  LaFarge and the new officers had picked up where he had left off, drubbing the 8th Crucis Lancers.
The other memo's he had studied dealt with the recent raid by MacCarron's Armored Cavalry.  He had gone so far as to appropriate whatever information he could, and with a Marshall's Rank and security clearance so high it was almost stratospheric, that was quite a bit of information, and he was studying it intently.  It was bold, daring, took more than a few risks, but the planning and logistics behind it were what impressed him.  It was long thought that coordinating an RCT on a planet taxed a commanders resources, and here McCarron had done it across two years and several star systems.  He had detailed maps and after Action reports printed out, covering one wall, and when he wasn't standing in front of them studying them, he was at his desk, studying them from afar.
When the knock on the door occurred, he was standing in front of the wall again, jacket off, sleeves rolled up, eating a roast beef sandwich, admiring again the coordination McCarron pulled off with his jumpships.
"ENTER!" he half yelled,taking another bite.  He heard a soft curse from his much put upon aide, but paid it no mind.
"Are we interrupting something, Marshal Zibler?"
Dammit, he knew that voice.  He had to stop impressing her like this.
"No Sir," he said turning away from the wall.  Marshall of the Armies and Princes Champion Yvonne Davion stood looking at him, arms crossed, a slight smile on her face.  That's when he realized she was not alone.
"Marshal Zibler, it's a pleasure to meet you," Hanse Davion, First Prince of the Federated Suns, walked forward, cane in one hand, other hand outstretched.
Zibler momentarily went into brain lock. Do I say Hi?  Do I shake his hand?  Do I salute?  Deciding that when push came to shove, the military way was the only way, He assumed a position of attention and began to salute, then realized he was still holding the sandwich in that hand. 
"Sir!" he barked.  "Um, sorry, My Prince, if you'll forgive me..." he raised the hand with the sandwich in it almost apologetically, stepped over to his desk, put it down, grabbed a napkin and wiped furiously for a second, then turned back around.  Both the Prince and the Marshall were looking at him with something bordering on amusement.  Beyond them he could see his aide hanging his head, shaking it.
The Prince proffered his hand again, and the Marshal shook it. 
"Please, Sirs, sit," he gestured to a pair of chairs in front of his desk.  "Would you care for any tea?  I do have a pot of water ready."  Marshall Davion went and sat down, declining his offer.  The Prince went over and stood in front of the wall, looking over many of the charts he had.
"This," Hanse Davion said with a sweep of his hand, "Is most impressive."  Marshall Zibler couldn't help himself, he went and stood next to his Prince, and started talking.
"I agree sir.  A most impressive campaign run by a very capable commander.  Hard to believe that this level of coordination was pulled off in this day and age."  Out of the corner of his eye he could see Marshall Davion wince.
"Actually, Marshall Zibler, I was referring to your display of information.  You have data from three different intelligence branches and six different working groups organized in a clear, cognizant manner that I suspect very few people would have trouble following."   The Princes voice was very matter of fact, he waved his cane at a few printouts.
"Yes Sir, thank you Sir.  If anything it's a teaching moment for us sir, one that I think we can learn from."
"And that, Marshall Zibler, is why I am here.  Lets go to my office."
"Uh, yes sir."  They left quickly enough that Zibler forgot his jacket.  The walk to the Princes office was quick, with next to no small talk.  Once inside behind the double doors, Prince Davion keyed a device that sat on his desk, then sat down quite heavily, favoring his leg.
"Weather playing hell with your leg sir?" Zibler asked.  Davion returned the question with an arched eyebrow.
"My Uncle had a similar injury, said he always knew when the weather was going to be bad because it would hurt like a mother"”well, it would really hurt.  I never really believe him till I spent the summer with him once and he predicted every day it would rain."
Hanse smiled apologetically.  "I'll manage Marshal, although I thank you for your inquiry."  He sat back in the chair, thinking for a minute, just long enough for Zibler to start contemplating exactly what the hell minefield he had gotten himself into this time.
"Marshal Zibler, first of all I wanted to congratulate you on your performance and the Kettering Proving ground commander.  You did yeoman's work in getting that up and running, and your record speaks volumes to you and your troops capabilities and efforts.  I have been very pleased with the results."
"Thank You Sir," Zibler couldn't help it, he smiled.  Praise was one thing, but praise from Hanse Davion was something else entirely.  "and thank you for the promotion, it did cut a lot of the chaff at the end of the day."
"You earned it Marshal, I was more than happy to sign that particular piece of paperwork.  Now, what exactly can you tell me your working on now?"
Zibler paused.  "Well, to be honest sir, nothing really.  At the moment I seem to be "without Portfolio" as it were.  I've done some Gauntlet work for SINA, but other than that, not a lot.  I'm presently attached to Strategy and Tactics, but I have no official duties as of yet.  I know Marshal Karrendal at SINA wants me to give a couple of lectures this semester, I am looking very forward to that."  And he was.  Teaching was one thing he found he had a knack for.\
"Well, Marshal, I have another assignment for you.  He hit a button, and one wall slid away to reveal a flatscreen display.  A Map of the Federated Suns was prominent, and it zoomed in.  Hanse Davion stood up, and with a small arm movement beckoned Zibler over.
"Watch, and tell me what you think, Marshal."
Zibler did.  Hanse hit a button on the display, and data began to flow.  RCT locations, jumpship timetables, then slowly, lines began to appear, units moving from the core and edge towards the interior.  Ten, Twenty, Fifty, soon some 75 Mech regiments had wound their way across the Federated Suns and to the Capellan and Kuritan border.
"Impressive Sir.  The basic work looks good, and the movements are well planned, but there are some underlying issues I think were missed."
"Thank you Marshal, it's nice to know my planning skills haven't eroded over the years."  The Princes smile was genuine.  In her chair Yvonne Davion almost choked on the tea she was drinking.  Inwardly Zibler felt his stomach knot up.  "Christ man, one of these days just keep quiet!" his inner voice was telling him.
"Uh, you welcome Sir.  If I may point out a few things?"
"Of course.  Excuse me." Hanse turned around and sat back down in the chair next to his Champion.
"It's ambitious, but there are several flaws.  The first is that this sort of movement has never taken place before.  Which means that something will go wrong, and judging by the time table in place I would say that bottle neck would be the transportation assets involved.  Looks as if a lot of the jump ships are assigned double and in some cases triple duty.  One failure would cause a ripple effect that would set the whole thing back."
"Solution?" asked Marshal Davion.
"If this is what you want to do, temporarily seize civilian assets.  It's the only way this has a chance if succeeding.  The second issue I see is that this is overly ambitious.  75 mech regiments moving is going to play havoc with the system, and then set off our neighbors."
"What if that's the final plan?" Asked the Prince.  Zibler blinked. 
"This is the "Run" part of the plan, Sir?" he asked.
"If you are referring to Crawl, Walk, Run, then yes."
"Ah, well, that does make sense.  Well, There are always going to be logistical issues involved with such large maneuvers.  But, as long as your willing to give local commanders the leeway to get things done the best way they see fit I suppose, and the bullets and butter guys are up to speed, that shouldn't be a problem.  But to be honest, until we do it, there's no telling what issues are going to arise.  I could do my best forecast and still miss stuff."
"So how big would the crawl phase have to be in your opinion Marshal?" asked Yvonne.
Zibler thought for a few minutes.  "At a minimum.  10 RCT's, with accompanying units.  If those were moved to the Terran corridor, it would be enough to set of alarms everywhere, which can be good and bad."  He Paused.  "Plus it will give us a good idea on what needs to be done in terms of supply and the like.  There's going to be enough snafu's moving 10 RCT's, I can imagine the headaches moving more than 50.  No, 10 RCT's is a crawl.  Next we do 20, maybe 30 RCT's.  After that we see what we can really screw up..." Zibler stopped talking.  He felt it the right thing to do before further embarrassing himself.
Hanse nodded to his Champion.  "I can see why you like him, Yvonne."  He stood up, walked next to Zibler, and swiped the deployment map away.  It was replaced by an Org chart, one that did it's best to show the AFFC high command and its departments.  Rumor had it if you stared at it long enough and relaxed one eye, various images would jump out of the jumbled mess in 3-D.  Hanse zoomed in, to where his name was at the top, followed by Marshal Davion's, then a line leading to Strategy and Planning.   Off of that line was a dotted line, leading to a box, with his name in it.  The pit in his stomach grew tighter.
"Marshal Zibler, what you've just seen is the basis for what I am calling Operation GALAHAD.  It is now your responsibility.  You answer to Marshal Karrandal in theory only, for the time being you talk to noone but myself and Marshal Davion about this.  I want preliminary plans and OpOrd's generated for a 10 RCT movement to these PDZ's."
"Uh, yessir.  Thank You sir."
"Marshal Davion and I will help assemble your staff.  This is going to be codeword clearance only, and I suspect we'll be spending quite a bit of time going over a few things related to this."
Zibler tried not to gulp.
"Thank you sir."
"Excellent.  Marshal Zibler, I thank you for your insight and opinions.  The guard outside will escort you back to your office."  Hanse Davion stood, proffered his hand again, and this time, Zibler took it.  Than hand shake was just on the right side of bone crushing, and the look in his rulers face was determined, to say the least.  Suddenly, the knot in his belly went away.  Zibler could never explain why, but looking into Hanse Damion"™s eyes, seeing what burned within, made him want to succeed, lest he be on the receiving end of that anger.
Marshal Davion shut the door behind him, laughing quietly to herself.  A guard in body armor waited outside.
"Where to Sir?" he asked politely.
"You know Sargent, I haven't the faintest idea."
« Last Edit: 24 August 2012, 19:45:05 by Davout73 »

Register