Author Topic: What Could Go Wrong  (Read 125874 times)

2ndAcr

• Captain
Re: What Could Go Wrong
« Reply #30 on: 19 August 2022, 18:14:58 »
28 December 3039
Breed (Federated Commonwealth)

Captain David Mitchell took a deep breath before proceeding towards the NAIS team now inside the hanger. He paused until he identified the person in charge. His pace slowed as he felt the small bag containing the data drives for what must have been the millionth time. Once near the man directing the rest of the NAIS team, he waited to be noticed. It took almost ten minutes, so engrossed in his task was the man.

"Can I help you with something Captain?" The small man said

"Captain David Mitchell sir. I located some data drives containing old SLDF deployment locations, after action reviews from 2765 and 2766. I think there might be more information on them, important information but we have not been able to really dive too deep in it." Captain Mitchell explained while handing over some hard copies they had printed

The man took the bundle of paper and rapidly flipped thru the pages before handing it back "While this is interesting stuff, I see nothing in here that would be of interest to the NAIS, except maybe to Professor Julie Grant, her specialty is military history."

"Sir, there is one account of a Germanium deposit rich enough for the SLDF to garrison. A former Outworlds Alliance system no longer on maps but close to our border with them." Captain Mitchell tossed out the big bone for a bite

"All well and good Captain, but if it is close to our borders, it probably means it is inside space claimed by the Outworlds Alliance. I doubt the Federated Suns will go to war over this system. Add in that it would take a detailed search to locate this system and I do not see the Federated Suns violating Outworlds claimed space to find it." The small man replied before turning back to his task

"So, you're saying the NAIS does not want this information or the drives mister?" Captain Mitchell asked

Clearly irritated, the small NAIS leader turned to face him fully "Captain, outside of Professor Grant, the NAIS has no interest in this information or drives. You can send them to her, keep them as an heirloom, maybe sell them to a private collector. Now if you will excuse me, I have much more pressing tasks to accomplish. And the name is Professor Hiram Igram, New Avalon Institute of Science." The conversation over, the NAIS leader moved closer to the Battlemaster BLR-2C pointing and shouting at his team.

Well, no one can say I did not try, Captain Mitchell thought as he also clicked off the small recorder in his pocket as he walked away. This had been a risky plan, but also one he wanted some cover for later down the road. At least he was not arrested for prying into the data drives. But now, he could proceed with a clear conscious. Now I just have to figure out how to make this work, he thought.

30 December 3039

"Your resigning your commission? Why?" Major Edwin Davion asked

"Got passed over for promotion. It could be 3-4 years before I come back around. I have done 12 years, been in 2 wars. That is enough for a lifetime. It is time for a change." Captain David Mitchell informed his Battalion Commander. A Davion he might be, but he was on a very distant branch, quite a way removed from First Prince Hanse Davions line. But he was still a Davion and the name alone could cause trouble.

"I see. Your an excellent company commander, an excellent combat commander. You have seen your fitness report I assume. I gave you the highest marks I could in those fields." Major Davion said

"Yes sir, you did. But then you also marked me low on administration skills, lack of staff time in headquarters and made the observation that I was combative with higher ranks." Captain Mitchell replied

"All very true. You have done everything possible to stay out of a staff position, which is greatly needed for promotion. You have also been quite, let us say hostile, to many of my idea's, plans or the way I lead this Battalion." Major Davion said

He took a deep breath before answering, have to control my temper. "Sir, beg your pardon but I kept this Battalion alive during the last big fight. I do not agree with many of the ways you lead this Battalion. Trying to fight a stand-up fight against Battlemechs is asking for this Battalion to get slaughtered. Instead of letting the Battalion spend more time training, you have us doing endless inspections and drills. Last time I looked, this was the Armed Forces of the Federated Suns, no Federated Commonwealth, not some Lyran social club."

"The amount of field time you and the other company commanders request costs money, lots of money. One 2 week field exercise is enough per year. We do our twice a year range qualification. If you spent more time in the staff here at headquarters, you would understand that. So, Captain Mitchell, I will expedite your paperwork for you. Dismissed." Major Edwin Davion said, ending the conversation
« Last Edit: 24 August 2022, 17:23:57 by 2ndAcr »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #31 on: 19 August 2022, 18:36:16 »
They both have a point.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Rodon

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 19 August 2022, 18:37:00 »
"The amount of field time you and the other company commanders request costs money, lots of money. One 2 week field exercise is enough per year. We do our twice a year range qualification. If you spent more time in the staff here at headquarters, you would understand that. So, Captain Mitchell, I will expedite your paperwork for you. Dismissed." Major Hiram Davion said, ending the conversation

That is a Davion?  Wow, what an idiot.  When this all gets around to Hanse, you can bet that the entire staff and everyone who passed though will be 'dismissed', maybe from the family tree itself.

Edit:
They both have a point.

The Major might, if he took their combat training seriously.  As it is, both sides are in the wrong, but the Major is worse since he is more worried about paper work and less about how effective his unit is.
« Last Edit: 19 August 2022, 18:40:14 by Rodon »

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #33 on: 19 August 2022, 18:57:35 »
That is a Davion?  Wow, what an idiot.  When this all gets around to Hanse, you can bet that the entire staff and everyone who passed though will be 'dismissed', maybe from the family tree itself.

Edit:
The Major might, if he took their combat training seriously.  As it is, both sides are in the wrong, but the Major is worse since he is more worried about paper work and less about how effective his unit is.

Amatuers study tactics.  Professionals Study Logistics.  You might be able to mock up some sort of 'training' through drill without a budget, but if you dont' have a budget, you can't do in-depth professional training and development.

Simple facts:

Gear requires maintenance, weapons require ammunition, and maintenance.  Training-as-you-fight is resource intensive stuff.  (an NTC pass costs an assload of money, which is why units only go on a pretty broad and wide rotation.)

Infantry is at the bottom of the list, back of the line, last to get the scraps of what gets absorbed by Armor, 'mechs, and everyone else.  Hind Teat, as it were.

He might have a more valid point than you're giving him credit for, though clearly he's already been defeated in budget fights in the past and no longer has the will to fight those, and thus, probably ought to be replaced due to demoralization.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #34 on: 19 August 2022, 19:54:43 »
I suspect NAIS will be letting a certain researcher go in about 10 years...  ^-^

Rodon

• Corporal
« Reply #35 on: 19 August 2022, 20:41:56 »
He might have a more valid point than you're giving him credit for, though clearly he's already been defeated in budget fights in the past and no longer has the will to fight those, and thus, probably ought to be replaced due to demoralization.

Maybe, granted as you say, you can do a lot of pure infantry drills up to regiment size.  As long as you don't fire a round or start an engine. Think WW I level combat. 

The US Army did quite a bit of that between the wars when congress was holding the purse strings tight, didn't fully make up for full up training efforts, but it worked to make sure squad/platoon/company level skills were kept sharp, since that is the area that sees the highest turn over.  Like for WW II, a lot of the generals were Majors or Colonels during WW I, and between the wars they had some additional full up training (especially as the threats ramped up).

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 19 August 2022, 21:22:04 »
6 January 3040
Breed (Federated Commonwealth)

With the new year over with, word spread through the Battalion like a wildfire about his resignation. Both Corporal Nathan Davis and Master Sergeant Harry Caldwell wasted no time beating down his door upon their arrival back on base. When Captain David Mitchell opened the door, both pushed past him into his quarters.

"What the hell sir? We come back and find out you have turned in your resignation?" Master Sergeant Caldwell said

"Yeah, you're not ditching us are you sir?" Corporal Davis asked

"No, I am not ditching either of you. Go grab a beer for both of you and grab a seat." Captain Mitchell replied

After both had sat down and opened their beers, he started explaining. "Once the NAIS jackass blew me off, I knew I had to get the ball rolling. That I have some info is now out in the open. It is now or never. So, I have 2 months of leave saved up. I already talked to Personnel and Major Davion was not bullshitting about pushing it thru quick. So, by 1 April I will be out. I already booked an expensive ass ticket to Sevon in the Outworlds Alliance. I will get there in 43 days instead of 118 days. I will be making a bunch of transfers catching different jumpships."

"What the hell is on Sevon?" Master Sergeant Caldwell asked

"Alliance Mining and Geology. I am going to try and get a meeting with the CEO. Maybe they will be interested in a nice Germanium find in their own backyard. Maybe I can get them to help foot the exploration bill, for a nice finder's fee for us. Davis, you have 7 months on your enlistment. Hopefully, I will have all the groundwork laid before you get out. Either way, I will pay for the trip to link up if I need to. That leaves you Master Sergeant Caldwell." Captain Mitchell said

"I have 21 years in sir. I can put my retirement papers in today. Figure in 3 months, I can head out with you. With that information, I don't think you should be riding solo. If you can arrange another ticket, I can pay for it, but not much more than that." Master Sergeant Caldwell replied

"Glad you said that, you owe me 27,000 C-Bills." Captain Mitchell said as he handed over the ticket

"Sweet Jesus, that is expensive. I might owe you Captain." Master Sergeant Caldwell replied taking the ticket

"I figured as much. We are going to need more people. People we can trust and preferably know. Davis, you and the Master Sergeant start looking around, but for God sakes, no mention of what we are up to. Just that we have a business opportunity. If I can get Alliance Mining on board, I will try and get them to foot the bill for express tickets for everyone you guys' recruit." Captain Mitchell said

"Sir, how many people? I ask because all I have heard is grumbling about your leaving since I got back on base. I can honestly say that most of the Battalion will follow you into hell." Corporal Davis said

"Not sure I can get anyone to pay for 400 tickets. So only pick the very best to tell. Make sure anyone and everyone understands, word gets out, they slip of the tongue, they are out in the cold. No job. We all on the same page?" Captain Mitchell asked

Both Corporal Davis and Master Sergeant Caldwell nodded in agreement.

18 January 3040

A knock at the door brought Captain David Mitchell to his feet. Opening the door, he saw a grinning Master Sergeant Caldwell, he waved him inside and closed the door. "What has you all happy go lucky Caldwell?"

"Let us just say that Major Davion is dumber than we thought." Master Sergeant Caldwell replied heading for the fridge and grabbing a couple beers.

"Help yourself. What has he done now?" Captain Mitchell replied sitting back down on his small sofa.

"Seems he submitted the paperwork to write off some of our vehicles and equipment as combat losses back in December. That paperwork has been approved and the vehicles and stuff no longer show on the Battalion inventory. Rumor has it, he was going to sell them off on the open market, at a discount." Master Sergeant Caldwell said

"Okay, and that is good news how?" Captain Mitchell asked, sipping his beer

"Well, those vehicles are no longer on the base. I even have copies of the combat loss, dispose of as scrap orders. Since he wrote them off as combat losses, he cannot report them stolen or missing. Seems that equipment is also no longer on the base at all." Master Sergeant Caldwell said, taking a long pull on his beer and obviously proud of himself

"Exactly what was written off and where is at then?" Captain Mitchell asked, now paying a little closer attention

"Sitting in a warehouse, owned by a friend of mine, real close to the space port. Seems our corrupt leader wrote off 6 Heavy Track APC's, 2 Hunter Light Support Tanks, enough small arms and equipment to equip the entire Battalion from scratch. Our Major Davion checked the wrong boxes, he reported it all as destroyed or so heavily damaged as to be only fit for scrap. Plus, me and a few friends visited a few of those caches you created during the fighting, we have all that ammunition stored as well." Master Sergeant Caldwell replied, finishing his beer with a loud burp and opening another one.

"Who is this friend of yours?" Captain Mitchell asked, now fully alert and interested

"Oh, no one really important. Just the head of Customs and Cargo operations at the space port. And before you ask, I have 9 mechanics on board. They helped me move our new inventory. I even managed to convince old Sergeant Major Pullman to join us. You know of him, he just retired before the fighting. I could think of no one better to help keep control of this rag muffin expedition we are creating. Davis is up to 22 people, all from your company and due to get out around same time as Davis. Seems Davis hacked the personnel database, he knows when everyone is getting out and is working off that list, being very selective in who he talks to. He's a good troop." Master Sergeant Caldwell said

"Sergeant Major Pullman, he was 2nd Battalions Sergeant Major. Tough crusty NCO. Put the fear of God in everyone, from Battalion commanders on down. He is as solid as they come, but I never worked with him personally. How do you know him so well?" Captain Mitchell asked

"Me and Pullman go way back. Before I transferred to 1st Battalion, I was in 2nd Battalion as a mechanic. I fixed many a jeep that the Sergeant Major banged up after a few too many to drink on the down low and off the radar. How do you think I made Master Sergeant? I have been busted down 3 times before I made Sergeant. Seems having old Pullman in your back pocket is a good thing. I don't think there is an enlisted person on this entire planet that does not owe that man a favor. And probably half the officers owe him too." Master Sergeant Caldwell said

"Okay, so now we have a rough platoon of people in addition to APC's and equipment. Transport might get very expensive really quick." Captain Mitchell replied

"Yeah, I mentioned that to Pullman, he just snorted and told me that when the time comes, what we need will be where we need it to be, when we need it there. I believe him too." Master Sergeant Caldwell said

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 20 August 2022, 06:34:00 »
Speaking of expensive, that rough "400 tickets" comes out to 10.8 million C-Bills.  Before Caldwell pulled his miracle, that would be in the ballpark of a Mark VII landing craft.  Installing some "infantry bays" in there would probably have fit all the people in Bay quality quarters.  Now though, they're going to need at least a Fury...  ^-^

mikecj

• Major
  • Veteran of Galahad 3028
« Reply #38 on: 20 August 2022, 14:50:20 »
Nice.  Interesting to see a Davion that dumb - in every sense.  Leadership, morality, criminality.
There are no fish in my pond.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf
Romo Lampkin could have gotten Stefan Amaris off with a warning.

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #39 on: 20 August 2022, 19:05:10 »
This is starting to sound like the Battletech version of Kelly's Heroes.  Keep going, this is great!

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 20 August 2022, 22:22:11 »
It will be interesting to see them run head long into the Terran Hegemony in exile....

vianca

• Sergeant
« Reply #41 on: 21 August 2022, 03:44:33 »
They need a Leopard or so.
And why do I think that third drive is navigation data for a dropship/jumpship it's navigation computer?
Mmm, FC, so it's after 3025 at the very minimum, that's a bit of a shame.

It looks like they need access to the Black Market, at the very least.
That or a SLDF Warship Wreck.
Who knows what that could thus cause.
At the minimum, they might be able to salvage some simulator components, even if it's the inside components of the simulator, like the seating setup.

Too bad they can't get the wreck those drives came from, if only to get those old storage slots and connectors, that way they could more easily transport them, at the very least.

Leopards are fun, they are aerodynes, know what else is?
ASF's and those birds have neurohelmets for control reasons.
Add in the fancy stuff the Battlemechs are getting up too, with neurohelmet setups and....
In the air it might not mean much, but in space...
Does mean getting some very good SLDF computers, though.
Mmm, if they can find a SLDF simulator setup, for Mechs & ASF's, then they might have something that could potentially be used to display all three drives.
« Last Edit: 21 August 2022, 03:48:38 by vianca »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #42 on: 21 August 2022, 07:24:56 »
A Leopard would need more work to be suitable, at least with their current configuration.  A Fury fits perfectly as is.

Iron Grenadier

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 21 August 2022, 10:16:46 »
Welcome back 2ACR!

Just to confirm, it looks like this Mitchell is part of a conventional battalion?

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #44 on: 21 August 2022, 10:33:14 »
There are 'mechs in the unit too from what I can see.

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 21 August 2022, 12:02:06 »
 Captain Mitchell is/was part of the 33rd Breed Mechanized Infantry Regiment (That is what I am calling it anyway.) There is a Battlemech Battalion as part of the planet militia. A regular AFFS line Infantry Regiment, part of the large conventional garrison on Breed. They fought a delaying/defensive/guerrilla war against the DCMS invaders during their "invasion" of Breed. While some Regiments took up to 80% casualties trying a standup fight against the DCMS, the 33rd did not and only took 30% casualties roughly but inflicted losses on the DCMS invaders.

Very end of War of 3039 Breed attacked by DCMS (15 July - 4 November) with the 3rd Ghost and 2 Batt of 4th Ghost. AFFS had following on planet:

2nd Robinson Rangers
 2nd NAIS Cadet Cadre
 Ten conventional regiments
 Reinforcements (1 Nov)
 1st Robinson Rangers RCT
 2nd Robinson Rangers

Most of the Battlemech elements had left planet on 30 July for Robinson, only to return later. 2nd NAIS took 60% losses. 3rd Ghost was effectively destroyed while 4th Ghost took 40% casualties and withdrew 7 August.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #46 on: 21 August 2022, 12:27:20 »
That's a brutal fight, even by 3039 standards...  8)

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #47 on: 21 August 2022, 13:23:10 »
27 June 3040
Sevon (Outworlds Alliance)

David Mitchell and Harry Caldwell, now formerly discharged and retired from the AFFS/AFFC had been on planet for 3 days. After six failed attempts to see the CEO of Alliance Mining and Geology at the company headquarters, they had left a message at the front desk each time they were turned away by the receptionist. But this morning, they had gotten a call at their hotel room informing them to be at the front desk at 11am sharp. Now, at 1045am, they sat near the receptionist desk waiting. A woman exited the elevator, and the receptionist pointed her towards them. Mitchell and Caldwell both stodd as she reached them.

"I am Susan Long, Division Head of Alliance Mining and Geology. I am told that you both have been coming here daily trying to meet with me. So here I am and what can I do for you?" Susan Long said

"David Mitchell and this is Harry Caldwell. We have a business proposition for you and your company." David Mitchell replied

"And what sort of business idea do you have that could interest me?" Susan Long asked, clearly feeling she was wasting her time on this small meeting

"We have come into some information that could very well change the foundation of your company and possibly your nation, but we would need assistance to locate the exact location. I would prefer a much more private location before we speak further." David Mitchell said

"Before I make that determination, exactly what kind of find are we talking about?" Susan Long asked

Seeing no one was remotely close to them David Mitchell lowered his voice and leaned in "Germainium and I go no further. Not here."

Her interest now fully peaked, Susan Long gestured both men to follow her. She led them to the elevator and once the doors were closed pushed the button for the top floor. On arriving, she gestured them to again follow her, leading them to her office and as they walked past her secretary she said, "Hold my calls, Cheryl."

Once inside her office, door closed and everyone seated, she started the conversation. "Germanium. How much and where?"

"Enough that the SLDF placed a full-time garrison in the system, only that system is no longer on any maps I have been able to find. But I have a pretty good idea of where it is located at, we just need a ship and crew to help us locate it exactly." David Mitchell explained

"My company is just a Division of Alliance Industries Diversified. That sort of expenditure would have to be approved by Adam Smith Pallas CEO. And what are you asking in return for this information?" Susan Long asked

"The information itself is not for sale. We go with the exploration team. Once we have located it, well, we can discuss terms at that time. But I think I should talk to Mr Pallas." David Mitchell replied

"Tell you what Mr Mitchell, I will speak to the CEO and see what he says. Go back to your hotel, I will be in touch very soon." Susan Long said

"Thank you for your time, Miss Long, but this kind of information is valuable, and I can think of quite a few other companies that would jump at this kind of information, do not take long." David Mitchell replied while standing up

28 June 3040

The phone call came in at 730am, waking them both up. Hanging up, David Mitchell looked over at Harry Caldwell and said "9am, we have our meeting with Mr Pallas and Miss Long. A car will pick us up downstairs at 830."

"We going to be packing?" Harry asked

"Damn straight. Just hope we don't need them." David said as he pulled the Hold-Out Needler Pistol out from under his pillow.

At promptly 9am, David Mitchell and Harry Caldwell met by Susan Long at the doors to Alliance Diversified's headquarters building. "Mr Pallas was interested, but he wants more information from you." She said as she led them into the office building, to the elevators and up to the top floor. On entering a conference room, David Mitchell counted 3 seated men wearing suits. The blading man at the head of the table did not stand but waved them to seats. "Susan told me about you little find, and though it interests me, it is going to cost a lot of money, so I need more information to work with."

Taking his seat next to Harry, David said "Right to business then. I have come into information that details a large Germanium deposit in a system near the Federated Suns border. 26LY from Inner End to be exact. Technically it is inside space claimed by the Outworlds Alliance, and that is why I am here, but I am sure First Prince Hanse Davion would love to have this information and would not hesitate to act on it. But getting to see him is impossible. The deposit itself was rich enough for the SLDF to garrison the system itself on a permanent basis. The system used to belong to the Outworlds Alliance but no longer appears on any Star Maps."

"What would you need and what exactly do you want if this find is found?" Adam Pallas asked

"I figured we would talk terms once we confirm what we found and it's actual worth to you and your company." David Mitchell replied

"I will give you 500,000 C-Bills for the information right now." Adam Pallas said

"Yeah, that is not going to happen sir. If you feel I am wasting your time, we will just leave, and you can explain to someone why the Federated Suns just came into possession of a Germanium deposit that used to belong to the Outworlds Alliance to begin with. I can think of several companies that would gladly take possession of this find and pay a large merc unit to garrison it. So, if that is the best you're going to offer, we will quit wasting your time." David Mitchell said as he pushed the chair back from the table

"Take a seat Mr Mitchell, it is business. I wanted to see how you would react. Obviously, you're not trying a scam, because a scammer would have taken the money and been out the door. You obviously believe in what you have come across and that the information is gold plated and not a wild goose chase. Now, what do you think this expedition will take?" Adam Pallas said

Sliding back to the table David Mitchell replied "A Jumpship, with crew, probably 2 Dropships to assist in locating the deposits itself, since it is said to be in a asteroid belt. I will aid the Jumpship navigator in more detail when we arrive at our search area. I have already given you more information than I wanted."

"How long do you expect this to take, I am not writing a blank check for this." Adam Pallas said

"On arrival, I would hope no more than 6 months." David Mitchell replied

"Three months on arrival. After that, I will have the Jumpship crew drop you off on Inner End and you're on your own. If you find it, they will bring you back here and we will finish our business." Adam Pallas said

"Then I guess that will have to do. Thank you Mr Pallas, we will await your team's arrival on Inner End. I assume you can have a team on site there by January 3041?" David Mitchell replied as he stood

"If there are any changes to the schedule, I will make sure you are located. I do not have a Jumpship and Dropships in my back pocket, that does take some effort on my part." Adam Pallas said
« Last Edit: 21 August 2022, 14:16:59 by 2ndAcr »

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #48 on: 21 August 2022, 13:25:18 »
That's a brutal fight, even by 3039 standards...  8)

It's canon also. The fight itself except the part about the 33rd. Lot's of brutal fighting in the War of 3039. Heavy casualties for a year long war.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/War_of_3039

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #49 on: 21 August 2022, 14:15:05 »
Excellent research as always, good sir!  :thumbsup:

Was the proposed buy out 50,000 or 500,000?  ???

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #50 on: 21 August 2022, 14:16:35 »
 Forgot about this one, so a little back in time.

17 May 3039
Layover (Federated Commonwealth)

Soon after Captain Mitchell and Master Sergeant Caldwell had left for the Outworlds Alliance, Sergeant Major Pullman had made a trip to Layover to meet one of his biggest debt owners, Hauptmann General Clive Renegor, part of the AFFC's Department of the Quartermaster. He easily spotted the man in the crowded bar.

"General Renegor, long time no see." Sergeant Major Pullman said pulling out a chair.

"It's Hauptmann General now, in another year or so, it will be official and the AFFS will officially be the AFFC. Lots of changes coming down the road. Some good, some not so good. So, you called, and I am here. What is this about?" Hauptmann General Clive Renegor explained

"Calling in a marker of course. I need to get some people to Inner End and some equipment is all." Sergeant Major Pullman said with a smile

"How many people and how much equipment?" Hauptmann General Clive Renegor asked

"322 people and 8 vehicles. maybe 250 tons of assorted supplies and ammunition." Sergeant Major Pullman replied

"So, a Battalion. You gone merc Pullman?" Hauptmann General Clive Renegor asked

"Not exactly. But I am in business with these people, I just need an assist in getting us to Inner End. And we cannot afford the freight costs and such." Sergeant Major Pullman replied

"So, a pickup, ride and drop off. Nothing else?" Hauptmann General Clive Renegor asked

"That is it sir. On the down low of course." Sergeant Major Pullmand said

"Okay, big favor equals a big marker. I think we will be square Sergeant Major." Hauptmann General Clive Renegor said

"I will agree to that sir. We will be even. How fast can we make this happen?" Sergeant Major Pullman asked

Hauptmann General Clive Renegor was silent as he thought for a minute before answering "How fast can you have your people ready to go? Because we are taking delivery of 4 Seeker Dropships here on Layover in 2 weeks, they are being shipped to the Kilbourne DMM on Kilbourne. I can arrange a little detour to Inner End to drop you folks off. But why do I feel you already knew all that?"

"Because you know me well General Renegor. I will have my people waiting on Breed for pick up. I like the original rank better than this new stuff. We are even sir. Clean slate and thank you." Sergeant Major Pullman said

"I highly doubt this will be the last time but at least then you will owe me favors. Safe trip Sergeant Major Pullman." Hauptmann General Clive Renegor said as he watched Sergeant Major Pullman stand and wink before leaving

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #51 on: 21 August 2022, 14:17:20 »
 500,000 fixed it. Good catch.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #52 on: 21 August 2022, 14:23:20 »
Thanks for the quick fix... that definitely shows how serious Mitchell and Caldwell are!  :thumbsup:

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #53 on: 21 August 2022, 14:43:00 »
Going strong here, great story.
"First, one brief announcement. I just want to mention, for those who have asked, that absolutely nothing what so ever happened today in sector 83x9x12. I repeat, nothing happened. Please remain calm." Susan Ivanova
"Solve a man's problems with violence, help him for a day. Teach a man to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime." - Belkar Bitterleaf

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #54 on: 21 August 2022, 17:27:46 »
18 November 3040
Inner End (Federated Commonwealth)

Though Inner End was still technically Federated Suns territory, just about everyone was switching to saying Federated Commonwealth on everything. It was sort of a confusing time all around. Over the years, there had been an increase of ships from the Lyran Commonwealth plying the shipping lanes inside the Federated Suns and vice versa. So, when the Lyran registered Invader Jumpship arrived at the Nadir jump point, nothing was really thought about it. Sergeant Major Pullman would be arriving at the end of the month, but he had sent Lieutenant Jordan Sanders ahead with a full platoon of Veteran Infantry, all former members of Captain Mitchell's Alpha Company, along with Corporal Davis. They had been on Inner End when Captain Mitchell and Master Sergeant Caldwell had arrived. The meet up had been surprising for Mitchell and Caldwell, but on arrival in system a HPG message had been waiting for them advising them where to meet up. This had gone without any issues.

"Sergeant Major Pullman thought you might need some backup out here. So, he sent us. The rest of the command will arrive mid-December, seems the AFFS Jumpship had a breakdown, but has now been fixed but it delayed them about a month." Lieutenant Sanders had explained on linking up with Captain Mitchell.

"Well, I for one am happy to see you and your people." Master Sergeant Caldwell said

Captain David Mitchell refocused on the mission at hand instead of remembering the link up as the Shuttle docked with the Invader Jumpship that would serve as their home base for the next few months. Lieutenant Sanders and his platoon were directed to board one of the mounted Dropships, an ancient Intruder Dropship. The other Dropship was a Mule, old but serviceable. Captain Mitchell, Master Sergeant Caldwell and Corporal Davis were led to the Jumpships bridge. There they met the ships master.

"Welcome aboard. Pete Kellog, Interstellar Expeditions. Adam Pallas hired us to do some looking around with you. We were between missions at Alpheratz when he made the call. Seems like an easy gig, but we have no clue where we are going. He said you have that information." Pete Kellog said

"Thank you, mister Kellog. Yes, mister Davis will assist your navigator on where we will be heading." Captain Mitchell replied, but he was actually looking at a couple of seedy looking people on the other side of the bridge.

Following his eyes, Pete Kellog smiled "Ah, forgive my manners. This is Major Lockton, he commands our escort under contract to Interstellar Expeditions."

Without taking his eyes off Major Lockton, Captain Mitchell nodded in greeting but got no gesture in return. Just a steady stare, we are going to have top post guards at all times, he thought.

"Shall we get started? We still have a few days on recharge, but I am not known for sitting still. If your man will help Ms Campbell with our destination, we can get this mission started." Pete Kellog said

"Mr Davis, show them where we are going." Captain Mitchell said and watched Corporal Davis move to the small navigator. He double checked and could see the bulge where Corporal Davis was carrying a pistol. He knew himself and Master Sergeant Caldwell were openly carrying pistols. From a distance he heard Corporal Davis speaking in a low voice to Ms Campbell.

"There are 7 star systems within 27Ly of where we are now. 3 of those are closer than 21LY so we only need to focus on these 4 systems." Corporal Davis said as he pointed to the stars on the star map.

He watched the navigator consult her own readings via the ships navigational arrays and telescopes. After fifteen minutes she said "Sir, there are actually 5 systems meeting your range specifications. This one here is not even on the star maps but is exactly 26.4LY from us."

Corporal Davis looked at Captain Mitchell who nodded "Then we will go look at that one first since it is the biggest mystery."

Once they reach Lieutenant Sanders, Captain Mitchell called an all-hands meeting. "I want armed guards posted at all times; everyone moves in pairs minimum. If you have not bumped into them, there are mercs on this mission and the few we saw looked more like pirates."

"Yeah, we seen them sir. About 2 platoons of them and a couple Aero jocks. This whole Dropship is their ride. Scrubby looking bunch. We were already discussing what we do if the hammer drops when you guys got back. Sergeant Chambers says we should just have at them and eject the bodies into space. Says they look and smell like pirates. Says a preemptive strike would be classified as justifiable self-defense in any courtroom in the Federated Suns." Lieutenant Sanders said

"Well, let's hope it does not come to that, but I will take Sergeant Chambers advice under consideration." Captain Mitchell replied, he looked around the large bay noting a change in weapons.

Seeing Captain Mitchell looking at the weapon change, Lieutenant Sanders spoke up. "Sergeant Major Pullmans idea. He told me to swap weapons for these Needler rifles and Needler pistols while we were aboard ship in Zero G conditions. So, we busted them out when we got in here. We stowed our normal weapons in the shipping containers that are code locked."

"I am not going to even ask where Sergeant Major Pullman got them, but it was good thinking." Captain Mitchell said

"He got them from his contacts with Customs. We have all he could score. One squad only has pistols, and we have one for each of you also. Plus, a decent ammo stock for them." Lieutenant Sander replied

"Very well. Pistols only outside the bay here, but guards inside each door with rifles. Lieutenant, make a guard rotation schedule. I don't want to wake up with my throat cut." Captain Mitchell said accepting the Needler Pistol he was handed and handing back his service pistol for storage.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #55 on: 21 August 2022, 17:35:55 »
Alpheratz??  That's kind of a LONG way from the OA border...  ???

2ndAcr

• Captain
« Reply #56 on: 21 August 2022, 17:49:25 »
Uh, no it's the capitol of the Outworlds Alliance.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Alpheratz

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #57 on: 21 August 2022, 17:53:00 »
Oops... I misread that as Alphard over on the Marik Periphery... Sorry!  :-[

mikecj

• Major
« Reply #58 on: 21 August 2022, 18:08:31 »
Oops... I misread that as Alphard over on the Marik Periphery... Sorry!  :-[

Now we know where the MIIO operatives following them are heading...

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #59 on: 21 August 2022, 18:09:27 »
LOL... that's a good one!  :D

Register