Author Topic: Strike Force: New RPG system!  (Read 33269 times)

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
Re: Strike Force: New RPG system!
« Reply #30 on: 10 March 2011, 11:16:05 »
Bookmarking :)
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #31 on: 11 March 2011, 14:06:14 »
I'm not talking about a flat rate for just the skill. It would be like a 13 point Phoenix Hawk and a Skill 2 pilot (+4) would be a total of 17 points. My problem with the modifier is that the skill doesn't make it harder to hit you. Basically my problem with the modifier is that you can have 2 Marauders at 18 points with skill 4 pilots OR 1 Marauder at a skill 2, they almost equal themselves in point values. The Marauder is still only a +1 to hit ( in most variants) and is bound to go down before the Skill 2 will destroy the other 2 MAD's.  But if you just added a +4 to the skill 2 MAD's 18 point value you end up with a total of 22 points and the other side would have to compensate by maybe taking a lighter mech to even out the point differences.

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #32 on: 17 March 2011, 10:18:08 »
Hey guys I found a easy and FREE!! PDF editor.  www.PDFescape.com      It allows you to simply upload the PDF card templates that I am supplying below and add your pilots pictures and mech's card by simply uploading the image and pasting it right onto the pdf. It's great. Anyways if your interested in using pdf's instead of the open office templates I recommend this pdf editor.

FedSunsBorn

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 18 March 2011, 21:06:05 »
Gotta say that I really love this idea. The format is slick, your use of pictures is awesome and the system seems pretty logical. I have been wanting to get back into the RPG scene for awhile now and this just might do it. Now I have to find a decent picture...
Made by HikageMaru

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #34 on: 01 April 2011, 13:17:38 »
Hey guys, been working on Faction Abilities and testing them out. So far I have come up with one for each Major House but lately I am thinking about just changing them to a purchasable Ability for your unit. ( hint hint, I am working on your unit as a whole being able to acquire points and save up for better equip tables, initiative abilities, and other fun little things I am coming up with.)

Anyway, as for a units Initiative Bonus I have:
#1 - When you win initiative 3 times in a row all pilots gain a +1 MP and a -1 to hit modifier until you lose the initiative ( Officer Level 2 would be great for this!)
#2 - When you have destroyed 50% or less of you opponents force you may use 3D6 for you initiative rolls.
#3 - When you destroy a unit you may add a +1 INT bonus per unit destroyed for the next rounds INT roll.
#4 - When you win the INT, take your dice roll result and subtract it from your opponents. Divide by 2 and that is how many units are able to move and fire before anyone else may move. ( helpful when you want to destroy a unit before they can even move!)
#5 - For every 2 INT rolls you forfeit to your opponent, you gain an automatic INT win to use at any Initiative Phase in the game.

Legion

• Master Sergeant
  • Je te provoque en duel, Freebirth!
« Reply #35 on: 02 April 2011, 11:42:18 »
#2 - When you have destroyed 50% or less of you opponents force you may use 3D6 for you initiative rolls.

Did you mean 50% or more?

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #36 on: 03 April 2011, 14:55:06 »
yeah haha sorry 50% or more of the opponents force

Ataraxzy

• Private
« Reply #37 on: 08 April 2011, 02:00:26 »
3d6 initiative rolls are quite powerful.

Compare to giving a permanent +1, which the minimum roll on that extra die is.

That's huge in a 2d6 contest. What this rule proposes is a variable bonus from +1 to +6. This does not even take into account the 18 or so rolls that the opponent can never equal.

Even 3d6 drop the lowest is only an "improvement" in the sense that you can no longer achieve rolls that your opponent can never match, the bell curve generated is still skewed waaaay to the right, it's just chopped off at 12 now.

Consider changing it to +1 or +2, max 12.

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #38 on: 20 May 2011, 11:06:15 »
Well I am in the process of writing Strike Force 3.0! Had a chance to play an Abstract Aerospace game at the Gamer's Reunion in Rochester, MN the other weekend. Have to say it was a lot of fun. I saw lots of opportunities for Aerospace Pilot Abilities. Also trying to play more games with battle armor and infantry so hopefully there will be some stuff for them to.

I wanted to know if you guys had any changes, additional abilities, or rules that you guys have thought up while playing Strike Force. I would love to hear any thoughts or comments.  Just a little preview of what will be in version 3: Create a unit and be able to gain points for successful missions and purchase Unit abilities. Also some rule changes on physical combat, critical hits, and I am developing a system that will help in creating missions or scenarios and track your unit throughout its victories and failures. And finally I am working on new card designs!

Again I would love to hear back on any changes, comments, or loopholes that anyone has on my Strike Force system. And thanks for the great response to my little homemade project, I am glad it is getting people excited again for Battletech and Battleforce.

YingJanshi

• Major
  • Switch Friend Code: SW-4326-4622-8514
« Reply #39 on: 20 May 2011, 12:14:45 »
  I really like this, been trying to get my group to switch to Quick-Strike. If I remember it says that you get a +2 modifier to roles when piloting a 'Mech bigger than what your pilot is used to, but nothing for smaller. So if you start out as a light and then lose you 'Mech and salvage an assault you suddenly lose all the modifiers for the smaller 'Mech classes even though you've never piloted them.
  Piloting a light is very different from a heavy or assault. It seems to me you should get a free ability "Specialization: Mech Class" equal to whatever your starting Mech is and if you ever change 'Mech classes you have to buy a new Specialization, with a +1 modifier until you do.
  For example I'm a medium 'Mech pilot until my fourth mission when I lose my 'Mech. I salvage a heavy. I now have a +1 modifier until I gain enough points to buy the "Specialization: Heavy".
  Just an idea.

Initiate of the Order of Valhalla

(HBS: Backer #4,960)
(Clan Invasion: Backer #314)
(Mercenaries: Backer #6,017)

Sagan

• Sergeant
« Reply #40 on: 12 June 2011, 07:18:10 »
  Kell I read through you Strike Force book and like what I see. I will be giving it a try here in a week or two with one of my friends. What I'm interested in hearing about is the campaign rules that your group is using in conjunction with Strike Force. Also keep us updated on your progress with V3.0

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #41 on: 06 July 2011, 07:57:00 »
I am going through and updating a few things and thinking about making some slight changes to existing abilities. I would just like to know from those using it or who have read through the handbook: Which abilities do you like, which abilities do you think should be changed? 

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #42 on: 22 August 2011, 07:20:13 »
The website that contains my rulebook is currently down so here is a dropbox link to Version 2.0
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/9027821/Strike%20Force%20Handbook%20V%202.0.pdf

Dahmin_Toran

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #43 on: 22 August 2011, 12:57:13 »
Thanks!

Revanche

• Warrant Officer
  • Fanah’s Fangs (formerly of the Talitha Division)
« Reply #44 on: 24 August 2011, 13:18:33 »
Kell, apologies for not having read the entire thread before posting this (and I will go back to read), but have you considered points for 'failures'? As a gamer, I hold we learn more from what we fail to do, than what we successfully do, as that failure leads us to try harder, explore a different angle.

I understand introducing failure points without modifying the existing point system would create too many opportunities, but it seems to me that a force -whether or not it is victorious by any margins- would still have the opportunity to improve because of the experience of the battle.

Just throwing this in there for conversation's sake, as clearly the rules as you wrote them are easily house-modifiable.

Thanks.

Also, you might want to go back and fix the Initiative post above to show the "50% or more".
« Last Edit: 24 August 2011, 13:21:18 by Revanche »

iamfanboy

• Captain
« Reply #45 on: 25 August 2011, 03:36:54 »
What, you mean they don't?

Hurm. For some reason, I thought characters got skill points even if they failed; I must've been using my old-fashioned Necromunda logic where everyone got experience just for surviving.

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #46 on: 25 August 2011, 19:29:29 »
I will have to go through Version 2.0 again, but I though I changed the point system that anytime a pilot enters a battle they recieve 10pts just for participating ( within reason, you cant place a pilot on the map for a round and retreat and get 10pts, unless you GM is okay with that )

Wanted to really get to Gen Con this year and show case some new cards and the Strike Force system but couldn't make it.... I'll be there with bells on next year though!

Did anyone play with strike force cards at Gen Con?

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #47 on: 20 September 2011, 10:30:34 »
Alright, getting close to almost finishing Version 3, and I thought I would share some of the goodies. Right now here is the new Piloting Tree Abilities List:
Piloting

ALL TERRAIN: level 1
You may ignore the +1 modifier of going up or down elevation changes of 1 level at a time and light woods.

DASH: level 2
You may add +1 MP to your units existing MP.

DODGE: level 3
You may ignore 1 point of damage from all attackers within your firing arc.

HARD TARGET: level 4
All attackers must make a targeting roll of 7 or better in order to fire on you, except when in short range.

GHOST: level 5
You may ignore 2 points of damage from all attackers withing you firing arc, plus you gain HARD TARGET.

hope you enjoy:)

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #48 on: 21 September 2011, 00:26:43 »
The damage reduction skills, I would limit them to lowering the damage to no lower than 1.  Otherwise they are too powerful if you are fighting all light 'Mechs.
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #49 on: 21 September 2011, 07:39:56 »
I had been going back and forth with having damage reduction or added modifiers to hit and finally came to the conclusion that at Level 5 your pilot more or less has a skill or 1 or 2, and therefore adding modifiers are probably not going to do much. So I went with damage reduction.

Here is the Combat Tree Abilities List:

Combat
HOT HEAD:
You gain a -1 to hit for every point you are up on the heat scale.

STEADY SHOT:
You may receive a -2 to hit in exchange for a -2 MP

EAGLE EYE:
Pilot receives a -1 for all range modifiers.

TRUE SHOT:
Pilot does 1 extra point of damage from long range.

SNIPER:
Pilot receives a -2 for all range modifiers plus gains TRUE SHOT.

Medron Pryde

• Captain
  • Life's a beach, enjoy the sand between your toes
    • P.R.I.
« Reply #50 on: 22 September 2011, 03:01:33 »
Damage reduction is fine.  AMS works like that, but says that damage will not go below 1.

Trust me, if you have a damage reduction of 1 in this scale, then you will be the God of War when facing Wasps or Stingers or most of the other light 'Mechs in the game.  Which may be fun for the player playing it, but when the person on the other side has NO HOPE of hurting the other guy, it takes the fun out of the game...
Col Medron Pryde - DropShip Irregulars - Phoenix Hawk LAM - A Proud Browncoat

RSM Regstav Pryde - Battle Corps Legion - BattleMaster BLR-K4
Angel Strike - They thought they'd killed us.  They were wrong.  We struck back...
Pryde Rock Industries - Your Source for awesome BattleTech programs
My Deviant Art Page
Jack of Harts - updated daily
Strike Force - a fanmade RPG supplement for Alpha Strike

Kell

• Corporal
« Reply #51 on: 22 September 2011, 07:20:09 »
Gunnery Tree Abilities List

Gunnery
AIR WATCH:
It is a -1 to hit all jumping or airborne targets.

WEAPONS EXPERT:
If your mech has AC, SRM, or LRM weapons, you receive a -1 to hit. (maximum -1 to hit.)

MARKSMAN:
Pilot automatically hits for 1 point of damage regardless of  To Hit roll result.

DEAD EYE:
Pilot may choose Critical Hit location instead of rolling (If you target the head or ammo, pilot must add a +3 to their to hit rolls.

ASSASSIN:
Pilot automatically hits for 2 points of damage (if allowable) regardless of To Hit roll result. Plus you gain DEAD EYE.

Assault Tree Abilities List (Rule Change: if a unit has the MEL ability and they successfully hit for a physical attack they not only do 1 point of additional damage, but they also roll 2D6 and on a result of 7 or better they can roll for a critical hit.)

Assault
FIGHTER:
Add your units weight to your physical attack to hit roll.

BRAWLER:
You gain the MEL ability and a -1 to hit for all physical attacks.

BERSERKER: After destroying a unit you gain a -1 to hit and a +1 MP the next turn

INTIMIDATOR:
You gain the MEL ability and your critical chance roll is reduced to 5 or better.

ZELOT:
After destroying a unit you gain a -2 to hit and a +2 MP the next turn. Plus you gain INTIMIDATOR.

WhiteLeviathan

« Reply #52 on: 19 January 2012, 01:20:25 »
I really like the warchest points system and found this thread looking for pre tested ways of mixing with BF or QS rules. I was wondering if there was anyway that you could reconcile the Warchest Point System with the strikeforce system. As I start my campaign I will continue looking for a way...

WhiteLeviathan

« Reply #53 on: 19 January 2012, 11:43:45 »
I guess what I am thinking is that I will use the point system in Strikeforce as a bonus to the warchest system combining the points into one pool. Any thoughts?

WhiteLeviathan

« Reply #54 on: 19 January 2012, 14:27:19 »
I have been working all day on this and this is what rules I have begun with

Warchest to Supply Points

(Fullunits+.5xPartial Units)1.5(Warchest Points+StrikeForce points)=Supplypoints

Repair
Battlemechs and Aerospace =Bvx5
Vehicles=BVx2.5
Battlearmor=50 Points per suit
Infantry = 5 points per man

Upgrades
Difference in BV x 10 if new componants used
Difference in BV x 8 if Salvadged componants used

Purchasing
Battlemechs and Aerospace=BVx50
Vehicles Equal=BVx25
Battlearmor=50 per suit
Infantry (foot) =100
Infantry (motorized) =200
Infantry (jump)=300

Selling
Each unit may be sold for half its purchase value

Notes on Strike force
-use ranges as indicated
-once an additional unit is full an additional pilot may be advanced using the strikeforce rules as the commander of that unit
-all other pilots advance for 20 Supply points per level (simple advancement)
-Each pilot may only be upgraded once after each track
-Once a pilot converts to the strike force rules they may not return to the simple advancement rules
-Support points are always converted back to Warchest Points

I think BV is the best way to keep things simple and fair

Tell me what you think!

jasper_ward

• Corporal
  • The Wolf Pack Expands
« Reply #55 on: 20 July 2012, 16:53:26 »
Been using this for a solaris QS Campaign, am curious, is this dead, or just on hold, would be willing to help test as I run 2 weekly groups

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #56 on: 29 July 2012, 18:02:21 »
I'm curious if 3.0 is still in the works?

jasper_ward

• Corporal
  • The Wolf Pack Expands
« Reply #57 on: 29 July 2012, 18:43:46 »
TBH, It may be dead, though I'm using 2.0 in a weekly game, with the permission of Kell, It might be feasible to continue work ourselves

Papabees

• Lieutenant
« Reply #58 on: 29 July 2012, 22:36:49 »
Do you know why he quit working on it?

jasper_ward

• Corporal
  • The Wolf Pack Expands
« Reply #59 on: 29 July 2012, 23:07:32 »
not sure, I Resurrected this thread to see if I could get a response, as he hasn't responded to my email.

Register