Author Topic: Pregnancy issues  (Read 6616 times)

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
Pregnancy issues
« on: 18 June 2018, 22:26:37 »
So I am playing on HQ 43.8 and I have noticed a few women in my list are pregnant. 
I don't remember clicking to manually make anyone pregnant, but I am fine with some popping up. 
Anyways I was clicking along the advance day and I am alerted that Seetha Shirazi has conceived. 
So I click on the link and I'm not on her. 
It takes me a while but I figure out that she is a prisoner and that is why she doesn't show up (Could we get an all living tab on that dropdown that would include prisoners?) 

When I click on her it says she is active (pregnant) and the due date is 3057-07-27! 
It is 3056-12-05 now so that isn't even nine months away! 
I also don't know what the baby is named and I can't find it on any personnel tabs. 
I would have thought it would be under dependents, but they are all of legal age, not newborns. 

Are these known issues that have been fixed in later updates? 
Would any of these things be in the logs because I could attach those if needed. 

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Pregnancy issues
« Reply #1 on: 18 June 2018, 23:22:17 »
Well the child will not be named or show up in the list until after being born and pregnancy isn't always a 9 month thing and as far as I am aware the code does take this into account and sometimes will randomize short or long.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #2 on: 19 June 2018, 00:08:03 »
So you don't get to keep your kids in the HQ program to watch them grow up? 
Thats a shame. 
I guess as she was a prisoner the kid would be part of the ransom when that got done. 

Still I have an issue with someone getting pregnant the day they give birth.... 
I guess tech could have advanced enough that you could somehow artificially inseminate or otherwise implant an embryo on the same day, but for that to happen to a prisoner means that I have serious issues with what my group of mercs are doing  :o 

Maybe a cooldown period where you can't get pregnant for some amount of time after conceiving, unless set by GM mode.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 19 June 2018, 00:34:12 »
Well IRL it is very easy to get pregnant right after childbirth so its not entirely impossible.

But... the real issue here is the fact that a prisoner got knocked up. Don't think that should be happening. Or at least it probably wasn't meant to happen

So you don't get to keep your kids in the HQ program to watch them grow up?

Actually you do. At least from your normal personnel. Have no idea what might or would happen to the child of a prisoner.

Also, there are two options for pregnancy. One for those in a relationship (married), and the second add on anyone can get knocked up. The chances are lower for the second option but it does still happen.

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 19 June 2018, 06:40:05 »
The first time my unit had a pregnancy... it was my unmarried CO!   :o

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #5 on: 19 June 2018, 07:39:34 »
Well the information you provided doesn't give any indication that she gave birth the day before.  So I suspect you're tripping up over terminology or the information being provided.

Anyways I was clicking along the advance day and I am alerted that Seetha Shirazi has conceived. 
  So she has conceived.  Nothing provided says she gave birth yet.  Conceived in this context means she has gotten pregnant not that she has given birth.  MekHQ will actually give a message saying that the character gave birth when the child is actually out of the womb and will create a new dependent in your unit unless there is some special code to deal with children of prisoners but I've never kept a prisoner long enough to get pregnant, let alone give birth so

Keep her around until 3057-07-27 and you'll see the message difference.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #6 on: 19 June 2018, 07:52:58 »
So unit member's children don't become part of it?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 19 June 2018, 23:37:24 »
Once a child is born it gets added to your personnel list as a dependent. Once they come of age they do not automatically become part of the unit. You can choose to make them part of the unit though. Just add or pay for the skills (they do get xp like everyone else if you have the x xp per x months option in use).

In FM:Mercs any dependent that gets promoted into your unit starts as a regular skill level person. So if you want them to be a mech pilot just give them that skill and zero out their xp if they have any.

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #8 on: 19 June 2018, 23:54:24 »
Well the information you provided doesn't give any indication that she gave birth the day before.  So I suspect you're tripping up over terminology or the information being provided.

Keep her around until 3057-07-27 and you'll see the message difference.

I think you are completely right. 
This is why I shouldn't play late at night. 
I had never seen the message before and since I have another member of the crew pregnant and had not seen the message ( I don't know if I miss clicked something or she rolled an accident on the RNG table) I assumed it was saying that the baby was born. 
Now that I know what to look for I see the other woman's conception note in her log. 

So we don't have an issue of being pregnant the same day she gave birth issue which is most reliving. 

Of course she got pregnant while a prisoner of my mercs and that gives me issue. 
I don't want to get into an issue of consent or bring up the R word but I think that prisoners getting pregnant should be hidden under a special evil flag if it is going to happen at all. 

I do think my unit commander needs to investigate and court martial someone.   

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #9 on: 20 June 2018, 06:48:37 »
Glad I could help clear it up.

For the rest, well all I will say is at least it has injected some role play/fluff into your campaign.  Beyond that could get into rule 4 real quick.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 21 June 2018, 08:22:34 »
I added a one or two pregnancies manually after creating some realtions between my MechWarriors.
I never got a notification of birth or are aware to got some dependants.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

txsoldier94

• Sergeant
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2018, 18:51:41 »
The fun thing with dependents, is that the "child" goes through the random stat generator.

Which is how I ended up with 2-year old Fajahat Hoepken, son of one of my Company Sergeants Major and my Senior Doctor.

He also needs to shave, and has +4 tactics and is listed as a Vehicle Gunner, despite having to actual skills.  I have him flagged as a dependent, but cannot change his primary role.

Already 2, one of my highest rated tacticians, and can almost form a complete sentence.

Ain't procreation fun?

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 21 June 2018, 20:13:00 »
I have yet to see a dependent like that since ral added pregnancy.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #13 on: 21 June 2018, 23:08:52 »
That 2 year old looks somewhat like Chris Pratt.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Iceweb

• Warrant Officer
  • Lyran Engineer
« Reply #14 on: 22 June 2018, 01:48:05 »
He also needs to shave, and has +4 tactics and is listed as a Vehicle Gunner, despite having to actual skills.  I have him flagged as a dependent, but cannot change his primary role.

Already 2, one of my highest rated tacticians, and can almost form a complete sentence.

I am slightly upset that he has somehow developed pain resistance at such a young age. 
Do we need to call CPS?

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 22 June 2018, 03:37:18 »
Well it's not working for me. Maybe I need medical help :D
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Southernskies

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #16 on: 22 June 2018, 08:02:23 »
About half of the children born in my game have Tactics +2 or better (for a newborn!!!).   :o

I think it still rolls for 'special' skills during creation.

txsoldier94

• Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 25 June 2018, 18:57:46 »
Smart little buggers using their skills to manipulate the adults....

SirMegaV

• Private
« Reply #18 on: 25 June 2018, 20:42:07 »
And now you know how you ended up guarding Toy"R"Us factory instead of a mech factory.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #19 on: 25 June 2018, 23:44:22 »
And now you know how you ended up guarding Toy"R"Us factory instead of a mech factory.

:thumbsup: Yes, save the "Mech" factory! And then the adults find out they are now the proud owners of 6 regiments of toy mechs...

SirMegaV

• Private
« Reply #20 on: 26 June 2018, 21:09:33 »
If you can fit a micro laser each, 6 regiments is scary.

Aimen

• Recruit
« Reply #21 on: 03 July 2018, 10:41:33 »
I have a 3-year-old dependent in my unit with +4 VTOL Piloting...

Not taken him out on a mission, yet, though.

Sir Chaos

• Captain
  • Artillery Fanboy
« Reply #22 on: 03 July 2018, 11:03:53 »
I have a 3-year-old dependent in my unit with +4 VTOL Piloting...

Not taken him out on a mission, yet, though.

You probably shouldn´t have gotten him that RC helicopter set for his last birthday.
"Artillery adds dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl."
-Frederick the Great

"Ultima Ratio Regis" ("The Last Resort of the King")
- Inscription on cannon barrel, 18th century

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #23 on: 20 May 2019, 05:53:17 »
OK, I know it's an old thread but anyway. Having just installed the latest development of MHQ I found my pregnant MechWarrior Queens being retired. Do I have to reemploy them manually or will the program do that for me automatically?
Also, the character info screen shows a due date. Do I have to GM the new found mercenary member into my roster?
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #24 on: 20 May 2019, 06:16:34 »
My pregnat warriors always worked until they gave birth, then continued working. And you get the child in your roster automatically. I just wish it would show who the parents or at least the mother are.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #25 on: 20 May 2019, 06:40:07 »
Maybe it just doesn't work in the current version or because I switched versions in between. Neither do the warriors return after birth nor do the child appear in the roster. Maybe I am looking under the wrong tabs?
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Dr. Banzai

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
  • I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube.
« Reply #26 on: 20 May 2019, 07:30:16 »
It's working well for me, not sure why they would retire in the current version. New children come in as Dependents, without a primary role. I agree on showing the parents, at least you can see the children on the parents' view.

I am not the Dr. Banzai from Facebook/Youtube. That person is a hateful person that does not represent the spirit of Buckaroo Banzai nor its fandom.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #27 on: 20 May 2019, 08:38:16 »
If it's supposed to happen automatically with roster additions, it would also nice to have an information in the daily dialogue, I suppose. Something to celebrate when you mercenary family grows.
As it is now, I add pregnancies manually, keep track of due dates and also add the new members by GM Mode without any primary roles attached and "Dependent" special flag. I can still do it with my relative small company but that would be a real hassle with anything larger.
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"

Rince Wind

• Sergeant
« Reply #28 on: 20 May 2019, 08:46:00 »
In the current version one of my MechWarriors got pregnant and delivered her child. There is a message in the log for both concieving and delivering. The new dependent was added automatically.

Schugger

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #29 on: 20 May 2019, 14:52:45 »
Just tested it: Assigned pregnancy manually advanced multiple days to due date - roster not updated. Any ideas?

Edit: As usual - if you have a computer problem, it is probably sitting 20" in front of the monitor.
I just found and checked those boxes under the personal tab in the campaign options...
« Last Edit: 20 May 2019, 16:15:36 by Schugger »
"Shit!"
"What?"
"Clanners!"
"No!"
"Yep."
"Shit!"