Author Topic: Need some advice for a RPG  (Read 8429 times)

Wombat

• Captain
Re: Need some advice for a RPG
« Reply #30 on: 12 February 2013, 09:23:54 »
Crunch, some good ideas.  However, the Theurge has the Rites thing covered already.  I may try talking to J though.

...have you consider shaving him while he sleeps. No, not his character.  [copper]
"Remember gweilo, you suck when you are nervous." - James Hong

"Everyone has a plan until you get punched in the mouth." - Mike Tyson

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." - Adam Savage

GreenDragon

• Major
  • I'll Have my Roast Beef Shaved not Sliced.
« Reply #31 on: 17 February 2013, 03:46:17 »
So, session 3.  M (Storyteller) and G (player - Lupus Theurge CoG) try to involve me in the game several times.  Everytime, L or J segued or jumped in to take over the scene.  This on top of only getting 2 hours from the time we actually started, until someone had to leave.  I basically stopped trying.

Upon coming home, I told M that I had only attended for his benefit, and asked once again if I can quit.  Since my attempts to get involved were trampled on everytime, I have finally gotten his OK.

If I had the night off, I might have accomplished something worthwhile.  That was a incredible waste of time.  I suspect that the other players were unaware of their jumping on my part.  My absence two weeks from now is going to be a shock.

Davion, we're just better than you. - 97Jedi
Its like Doomsday and the Apocalypse had a baby.  And its ugly. - Calhoun

Userbars by Notsonoble and xtrahmxwohld.
Live Long and Prosper

StCptMara

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Looking for new Adder skin boots
« Reply #32 on: 17 February 2013, 05:26:40 »
green Dragon...I am curious what were the Auspices and tribes of the others? Were there other Galliards?
If not...why couldn't your Galliard do anything? I mean..your gifts fulfill a different niche then any other Auspice.
There are Rites that should be just Galliard, as well(or, at least, if someone else knows them, they might be looked
down upon). Basicly, it seems like in the Wolf Pack, you ended up the Omega. I am also curious, the one group of players
that kept trampling on any attempts to involve you, is this normal behavior from them?
"Victory or Debt!"- The Battlecry of Mercenaries everywhere

"Greetings, Mechwarrior! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against---Oops, wrong universe" - Unknown SLDF Recruiter

Reality and Battletech go hand in hand like a drug induced hallucination and engineering a fusion reactor ;-)

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #33 on: 17 February 2013, 05:58:13 »
green Dragon...I am curious what were the Auspices and tribes of the others? Were there other Galliards?
If not...why couldn't your Galliard do anything? I mean..your gifts fulfill a different niche then any other Auspice.
There are Rites that should be just Galliard, as well(or, at least, if someone else knows them, they might be looked
down upon).
N - Fianna Ragabash
G - CoG Theurge Lupus
J - IR Philodox
Me - IR Galliard
L - SF Ahroun/Alpha/Self-Appointed Voice of the Party

If M had permitted the Hive Mind Totem Power (I forget the real name, I calls 'em like I sees 'em.  Its the Telepathic Link used by Jean Grey/Martian Manhunter/etc. in comic books) then my Mindspeak Gift would have been totally useless - not that an opportunity to use it has come up yet.

Basicly, it seems like in the Wolf Pack, you ended up the Omega. I am also curious, the one group of players
that kept trampling on any attempts to involve you, is this normal behavior from them?
For L, its been part of the problem in this game.  For some reason, we can game fine when I'm running, and ok when he runs, but when we are both playing there are problems.  I've yet to figure out why.  I also suspect my not showing up two saturdays from now will be a surprise and result in a phone call asking me to come back - or the game's death.
For the others, it was a matter of the time.  We have to wait until 10:30 to start, so L's son has gone to bed (though tonight he was staying with Grandma and we could have started sooner).  But N's wife needs him to come pick her up when she gets off work, which was around 11:30.  So we didn't even make an attempt to start until almost midnight, and then people started falling asleep, resulting in ending the session at 1:30 (instead of the planned 2:00).  Consequently, no one was actually getting into character.  G actually left the room and played solitaire on L's computer for a good part of the night.
Everyone who wasn't directly involved in what M was trying to do at any given time was cross-talking, and interrupting.
(I'm not blameless in this either, though I largely just zoned out, and thought about prep for one of my games for a bit.)
« Last Edit: 17 February 2013, 06:01:13 by GreenDragon »

Live Long and Prosper

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #34 on: 17 February 2013, 10:56:00 »
Dang.

I am a little mystified that the Storyteller didn't offer at least letting you tweak your character if not outright re-create them so that they could do something better.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #35 on: 17 February 2013, 12:01:10 »
I didn't ask.  I was so disappointed with the game, I had no interest in the attempt.  And no clue what tweaks would provide a useful skill set that wasn't already claimed or usurped.

Live Long and Prosper

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #36 on: 17 February 2013, 12:54:59 »
*nod*

Something I've been trying to get the group I'm a part of to do has been trying to get them to discuss with each other what kind of characters they will be playing and what kind of role they want to assume.  It hasn't met with a lot of success with us so far but it might be worth attempting the next time you get to play in another's campaign.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #37 on: 18 February 2013, 06:19:36 »
I've tried that before, with mixed success.  To wit, players who don't want to be team players often don't get it.

My hunch appears correct.  M told L of my departure tonight, and I elaborated on my not enjoying the game and having no niche, leaving out any accusations toward L.  He genuinely appears to be unaware that he was doing it to me.

Live Long and Prosper

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
« Reply #38 on: 18 February 2013, 10:13:45 »
*nod*

Though sounds like your group does conspire with each other more than our group does.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #39 on: 18 February 2013, 11:53:25 »
Just so you guys know, I'm very cool with the problem solving and the thread's been just fine so far. But just as a precaution, do take care you don't get into massive negativity (or worse a group member comes on here and sparks fly) about it. That's about when it gets into rule 7 territory and it would make me very sad.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

GreenDragon

• Major
« Reply #40 on: 24 February 2013, 09:08:29 »
So here is an update/conclusion to the drama.
I asked M if he minded me quitting, and got his blessing.  However, since his campaign - in the short term - needed a Northerner with High Society connections (he intended to use the Enlightened Society of the Weeping Moon), my absence created a problem.  The campaign would basically have devolved - in M's words - into punishing L.  And M refused to sink to that.  So he has ended to campaign.
When he informed L of this, he explained that it was due to my quitting, and that I was quitting because of my being excluded from the pack - by L mainly.  We both emphasized that we didn't believe he was doing so intentionally, and his reactions to the matter tend to support that.  Nor did either of us hold any malice toward him.

M is now considering a new campaign, with a different game.  Fortunately for me, he has been talked out of Hunter:the Reckoning.  I refuse to play that game, preferring my 'joe average' hunters to not have magical powers - especially ones that were not written with an eye to crossover compatibility (despite H:tR being Crossed Over with the Big Three in most books for those lines).  M considers a classic Hunter's Hunted game to be nothing more than a meatgrinder, because the book was written prior to the introduction of rules like Delirium/Fog/Mists/etc. and so Hunters without Numina or Edges don't have options to resist it.  But I Digress.

Thank You all for the advice and moral support in this situation.

Live Long and Prosper

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #41 on: 24 February 2013, 14:52:05 »
Glad to hear that there's been a resolution.  Hope your next game goes better, whatever it is.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #42 on: 24 February 2013, 17:07:36 »
Try Dark Heresy.  The book specifically states that the party should be well rounded, and the players should try to make characters that differ sufficiently but can still support each other.  After all, they were recruited as a party by an Inquisitor for their various talents, not as a party of clones.

So the game could be where the characters are recruited by someone, as a personal problem-solving group.  They give you a monthly paycheck, and monthly assignments.  The players are told their characters are supposed to provide a variety of options, and if one character already does what someone else wants, the new character has to change.  Also, if a player joins in later, part of their skill set has to be what the party needs.

I.e. if a group is going up against undead, they will want a cleric, paladin, or fireball wielder.  An Illusionist would be told to make a new character.