Author Topic: Forgotten Realms & Dungeons and Dragons: Same Thing?  (Read 19396 times)

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
  • Master of the LolCat Horde
Re: Forgotten Realms & Dungeons and Dragons: Same Thing?
« Reply #30 on: 17 February 2013, 01:01:06 »
I think you're cheating by using Spelljammer worlds, but that's still a really impressive list.
The list was meant to cover all prime material plane worlds that were 'canonically' recognized D&D settings by the publisher.  It also works as a good overview of settings the way it's set up.
One does not just walk into Detroit

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #31 on: 17 February 2013, 01:01:53 »
Loved Dark Sun, especially when the players were new to it.  The trick to running it was to show scant mercy and punish mistakes heavily. Force the players to unambitious with their goals by making even mundane survival a challenge.  Logistics is important, make them feel water waste as a catastrophe, a shared meal a heavy investment, and the in party bickering common to most of D&D totally unacceptable waste.
"Roll up characters, cheating on the stats is not only condoned but advisable, it wont do you any good anyway."
"No, you cant have a longsword and banded mail, here have a sharp stick. Sharp stick and ignorance."
"Yep, thats right, ignorance.  You dont know zip about the world except sun, sand, hard work, rough bread, and not enough tepid water."
"So you want to play a mage yes.  Ok, I advised you to pick ignorance <shrug> ok we do it your way.  You still only get a sharp stick and your spell glyphs are embroidered onto this rag.  As you aren't ignorant you are a threat to others even less ignorant than you, knowledge sticks out like a tree in the wasteland, and attacts big and dangerous things."
"All set, welcome to Athas. You will likely not survive and not be missed, but if you enter the crucible cautiously, be sparing with your trust, and observe carefully without asking questions, you might survive long enough to prosper, and thats as much advice as I am going to offer."

« Last Edit: 17 February 2013, 01:04:52 by Von Jankmon »
It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #32 on: 17 February 2013, 01:05:26 »
Personally I prefer the party wakes up in the Lower Planes amidst scene straight out of fantasy WW1.  "You know those really friendly hot women at the tavern?  They were succubi recruiters, welcome to the Blood War."

She ignored the dragon, and Freddy Mercury who arrived to battle it with the Power of Rock.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #33 on: 17 February 2013, 01:33:26 »
Dark Sun had cannibal halflings.
If they ate each other then yes that's cannibal. If they ate other sentient humanoids....well that's just being an extreme carnivore. :)
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #34 on: 17 February 2013, 01:45:58 »
AFAIK, they did both.
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

RunandFindOut

• Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: 17 February 2013, 01:58:40 »
AFAIK, they did both.
If I remember right those halflings ate everything.  Not that I can complain, the last group I GM'd a Dark Sun campaign for had party members resort to cannibalism as well.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #36 on: 17 February 2013, 02:46:15 »
That's because other humanoids tended to be the least dangerous source of calories in the campaign setting.  The one time my group tried playing it, we concluded within the first hour that simply feeding blank character sheets into a paper shredder was a better option because it had the same end result but got us there faster.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #37 on: 18 February 2013, 04:42:46 »
That's the thing about Dark Sun, it was different.  It took real thought to survive in the setting, most people don't play the environmental aspect in the typical D&D world.  In Dark Sun it was your main opponent, men and monsters were icing on the cake.
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

Von Jankmon

• Lieutenant
  • Everyone is entitled to my opinions
« Reply #38 on: 18 February 2013, 11:58:17 »
I believed in giving the players a choice, despotic city state or wilderness.  The successful balance was to accumulate enough from the surplus of the cities fields, conceal it and your intentions before making a foray into the wilderness for a bit of freedom and adventure, a balance of furtive resource gathering and masked rebellion.
This involves giving players the impression that any messing about inside the city will likely be detected and mercilessly punished, and yes the way to play is pre Prism Pentad, which IMHO part ruined a good setting by limiting its oppressive hopelessness.

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion. By the juice of the brew my thoughts aquire speed, my mind becomes strained, the strain becomes a warning. It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Death by Zeus

• Warrant Officer
  • 3rd Lyran Regulars
« Reply #39 on: 18 February 2013, 19:19:14 »
Unless playing a ranger type or a druid?  Oppressive City State for the win!  The Prism Pentad cycle did kind of throw a monkey wrench in the works. 
Light 'mech pilots benefit from big balls and small brains.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #40 on: 19 February 2013, 22:26:17 »
I miss DnD... I gotta get a group togther soon... dying here, starved really!  >:D

Fate rolls hurt the most, insead of 3d6, 2d6.

I have a custom game that I had played years ago, up to just last summer. 1st ed. chara, 2nd ed. equipment and spells, 3rd ed. monsters and treasure.

Is that true evil? " Your dagger does half damage against that skeleton! * rolls * 2 Points! Mighty warrior does 1 point of damage to skeleton! " * Skeleton has 4 points left * " Skeleton hits you for 3 points, oops major damage as you started out with 4 points of damage. "  >:D

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 20 February 2013, 17:41:55 »
I was sadden when Spelljammer was killed off and demoted in 4th ed, when it became just a dimenionsal vehicle verse actual magic starship. 

Same here..  IMO SJ was one of the better expansions they made for the game.. gave a reason to travel from krynn to greyhawk back to krynn the to faerun and so on without the issues of planner travel.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Carcosa

• Private
« Reply #42 on: 06 April 2013, 02:13:47 »
Dungeons and Dragons created Forgotton Realms setting

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #43 on: 06 April 2013, 03:17:36 »
You know, you could have actually read the thread before necroing it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #44 on: 06 April 2013, 12:58:08 »
Take it easier on the new guy.  [copper]

@Carcosa: Yeah it was pretty much answered earlier. Don't sweat it too much though.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #45 on: 06 April 2013, 18:48:36 »
Yeah Shrek, ya money lovin for hire!  ;)

New guy, welkome to da boards!

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016