Author Topic: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)  (Read 198752 times)

Xeno426

• Sergeant
Quote from: Foxx Ital
So thoughts on a non HA version of the viking iic?
How would it get made? IIRC, the company that made the Viking IIC went under, with that mech being their last hurrah as an attempt to stay afloat. The TRO entry suggests nobody was, or is,  interested in it to a large enough degree to restart production.

Quote from: Jellico
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/182/axel-heavy-tank-iic-standard

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/2081/mars-assault-vehicle-hag

http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/1550/huitzilopochtli-assault-tank-huey-aaa
I know the Axel IIC was created by the Dominion, but I didn't know the other two were as well. Where is that information found? Besides MUL, that is.
« Last Edit: 28 May 2018, 19:33:46 by Xeno426 »

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
What the bears lack in honor they make up for with hueys!!
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • BattleMechs are the lords of the battlefield
B&B is making Hueys. Odin makes Mars. (Objectives:The Clans)

Upgrades come from 3060 Upgrade Milspec.pdf. A Battlecorps product.

Hmm. Maybe the Sarna guys need to find this and have a look...

Xeno426

• Sergeant
B&B is making Hueys. Odin makes Mars. (Objectives:The Clans)

Upgrades come from 3060 Upgrade Milspec.pdf. A Battlecorps product.

Hmm. Maybe the Sarna guys need to find this and have a look...
The Objective: The Clans doesn't say what variants are being built, though, which is more what I was getting at.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
See Milspec. It has fluff for the new variants in TRO3060.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
Re: The Rasalhague Dominion: Friend of a Friend (but not your Friend)
« Reply #936 on: 01 June 2018, 22:35:39 »
The TRO entry suggests nobody was, or is,  interested in it to a large enough degree to restart production.
IIRC Arc-Royal picked up lost production when the Viking IIC's original manufacturer shut down. (Which also kind of explains why the Viking IIC is on the Steiner RAT, in my opinion.)

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #937 on: 02 July 2018, 15:17:55 »
Another year passed: a day of decanting for the not really an Iron Womb.. didn't get to play BT on my birthday this year unlike the last two ... but I have assembled two stars of Ghost Bear-ish forces (including a full star of Undine picked up very cheaply (of which I will never use)) and am trying to complete a third star including making it a Nova . Then comes painting, of which while I prefer to put them in Alpha Galaxy colors, I might have to modify the paint scheme a bit (because I'm a complete novice at it) to a more solid color scheme of sorts.

On the other hand my Wolverine force sits at two stars and my Inner Sphere Battalion is not at eight companies... none painted.

How are the rest of you trothkin?

Diamondshark

• Lieutenant
  • Bringing back the enlightenment to the Star League
« Reply #938 on: 08 July 2018, 09:02:12 »
Another year passed: a day of decanting for the not really an Iron Womb.. didn't get to play BT on my birthday this year unlike the last two ... but I have assembled two stars of Ghost Bear-ish forces (including a full star of Undine picked up very cheaply (of which I will never use)) and am trying to complete a third star including making it a Nova . Then comes painting, of which while I prefer to put them in Alpha Galaxy colors, I might have to modify the paint scheme a bit (because I'm a complete novice at it) to a more solid color scheme of sorts.

On the other hand my Wolverine force sits at two stars and my Inner Sphere Battalion is not at eight companies... none painted.

How are the rest of you trothkin?

I am quite well, for one: I am playing multiple Against the Bot campaigns on MekHQ, my new wife and I are going to get around to playing in person sometime soon (eventually maybe), and I am quite impatient for new releases.  :P
"We are the Clans, the Star League incarnate.
None can stand against us and survive."

-- The Remembrance, Passage 272, Verse 8, Lines 18-19

SD501st

• Sergeant
  • Lead me, follow me or get out of my way!
« Reply #939 on: 21 July 2018, 09:03:02 »
Okay, I got two questions for all other Bears on the board.

I am currently "designing" a very high tech Mi-24 HIND equivalent as a BA or Infantry transport for the Bears. It's reasonably fast(10/15 thanks to an XL... yep, thats right) well protected with 4 tons of FA armor and has a 5 ton infantry bay to transport a full point of BA's as well as an Active Probe to detect hidden units. It's intended to go in and clear out landing zones from any infantry, BA and the odd vehicle(the armament is designed around that mission, obviously) be they hidden or not, before dropping off it's slow heavy/assault BA or Infantry in tactically/strategically important locations, then hanging back to support them. The reason for this design is the obvious decline in Omni-Mech usage for all IS-Clans. It's basically an airborne IFV. Obviously there's also a gunship variant for longer range support.  ^-^

So my first questions is... does a 5 ton infantry compartment fit 5 assault BA? I'm really not sure, I remember something about assault suits taking up more space/weight inside infantry compartments.

And number two, which Battle Armor suits is the Dominion using in the 3150 Era, apart from the obvious Elemental, Gnome, Golem, Rogue Bear and Constable? Does the Dominion have access to the CWiE Cuchulainn by any chance? Any slow heavy/assault suit with good long range firepower? Which suits or infantry units do you think would fit best for this intended role?

Thanks in advance for the answers!  :)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #940 on: 21 July 2018, 10:15:02 »
The MUL is your friend and it can answer questions like yours.

RasDom BA in the Dark Age (of note: include Rabids, Kobolds, and Thunderbirds to your list)  I didn't inlcude the IS general or IS Clan general as I'm honestly not sure which the Dominion now qualifies as in the Dark Age... but surely the good old IS Standard BA suits are still in use by purely sphereoid units as well.

And as for tonnage requirements for transport: the Golem Assault armor has the CAR5 special for a 5 man squad... i.e. it's still 1 ton per trooper.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2018, 10:17:18 by Tai Dai Cultist »

SD501st

• Sergeant
« Reply #941 on: 21 July 2018, 11:46:16 »
The MUL is your friend and it can answer questions like yours.

RasDom BA in the Dark Age (of note: include Rabids, Kobolds, and Thunderbirds to your list)  I didn't inlcude the IS general or IS Clan general as I'm honestly not sure which the Dominion now qualifies as in the Dark Age... but surely the good old IS Standard BA suits are still in use by purely sphereoid units as well.

And as for tonnage requirements for transport: the Golem Assault armor has the CAR5 special for a 5 man squad... i.e. it's still 1 ton per trooper.

Thank you very much! That was exactly what I was looking for!  :D

Mhm, the Kobold IIC is interesting... let's say I use a full star of the "Hind" VTOL's with 2 points being fire support variants(those have ECM), I could load two points of Kobold IIC's  to provide even better detection(and TAG!) capability than the Active Probe of the VTOL, to make sure that the landing zone really IS secure before the others land and unload 4 points of Golems/Gnomes. Afterwards, the Kobolds would be an excellent scout platform for both their heavier brethren(or infantry) and the VTOL's. That would be one hell of a "mobile mine field" so to speak. :drool:

As I said, my thinking was that Omni-Mechs are getting rather rare in the Dark Age... combine that with the Bears heavy focus on BA, and there is imho a need for a fast BA transport, able to function in any terrain, that can still take a hit. Also, they might have learned a thing or two from the Horses after getting over their mutual feud.

What do you guys think about the Dominions BA transport capability and the whole idea behind this concept? Would a pretty expensive VTOL with FL armor and a 110 rating XL engine(do the Bears have any native production of this type?) be a valid addition to the touman?
« Last Edit: 21 July 2018, 12:12:04 by SD501st »

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #942 on: 21 July 2018, 12:29:46 »
First, you know that the and the [url=http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anhur]Anhur are things, right? The former covers the looks and the latter the functionality.

With that out of the way, the troop capacity rule depends on if you run with alternate TO rules. By default, five tonnes is enough for a point of any Clan BA. However, TO has rules where the compartment has to actually be large enough for the infantry inside. This means that for a point of assault BA, the compartment needs to be 10 tonnes.

Regarding BA that the Bears use in 3150, I'd suggest consulting the Master Unit List.
From here, we see the Dominion has access to the Thunderbird Battle Armor (probably isorla, so limited quantity after the Nova Cats get murdered) and the Corona Heavy Battle Armor (probably limited number, since I don't think any Dominion factory was building them after the Abjuration of all the IS Clans).
It's probably safe to say that the Gnome, Golem and Rogue Bear make up the bulk of their heavy BA force.

SD501st

• Sergeant
« Reply #943 on: 21 July 2018, 13:37:11 »
First, you know that the and the [url=http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Anhur]Anhur are things, right? The former covers the looks and the latter the functionality.

With that out of the way, the troop capacity rule depends on if you run with alternate TO rules. By default, five tonnes is enough for a point of any Clan BA. However, TO has rules where the compartment has to actually be large enough for the infantry inside. This means that for a point of assault BA, the compartment needs to be 10 tonnes.

Regarding BA that the Bears use in 3150, I'd suggest consulting the Master Unit List.
From here, we see the Dominion has access to the Thunderbird Battle Armor (probably isorla, so limited quantity after the Nova Cats get murdered) and the Corona Heavy Battle Armor (probably limited number, since I don't think any Dominion factory was building them after the Abjuration of all the IS Clans).
It's probably safe to say that the Gnome, Golem and Rogue Bear make up the bulk of their heavy BA force.

Yes, I know that the Lamprey and Anhur are a thing. That didn't stop others from producing/designing similar vehicles in universe... hell, thats actually the opposite of what is usually happening for Mechs, Tanks and most everything else. I'm sure the BT universe as a whole runs on the principle of constantly getting new "old" designs. Some higher power must have decreed this...  :lol:

As for factual in universe reasons why I didn't go for the Anhur or Lamprey... both are 5 tons heavier, the Lamprey is an IS vehicle and produced literally on the other side of the Inner Sphere, while the Anhur is less well armed and slower... both are not protected with Ferro-Lamellor. ^-^
Also, this whole question was about figuring out how to "fluff" the thing... and I just wanted to design a Clan Hind, dammit! ;D

Anyway, the only question that's unanswered is how others percieve the viability of a purpose-designed, high end Clan VTOL BA+Infantry Transport/Gunship for the Rasalhague Dominion Touman.  :)

Actually... is it allowed to post fan designs in threads like this? It would make the viability question much easier to answer if I could show you the design, but I'm quite sure it's forbidden to do so anywhere outside the "Fan Designs and Rules" subforum.  I haven't put it there because... well, I don't have much of the fluff figured out, besides the faction and the design role. No background, no manufacturer for the unit itself or it's components(especially the 110 XL engine), no quirks... just the barebones stats.
« Last Edit: 21 July 2018, 13:42:39 by SD501st »

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #944 on: 21 July 2018, 14:37:18 »
Well, keep in mind it's likely going to equip second-line units, since front-line ones tend to have plenty of omnimechs for BA to grab on to.

The Bears have already shown a basic interest in producing their own BA transport--see the Tyr, a replacement for the Svantovit--so I don't think a VTOL transport would be out of place for their touman. Though keep in mind that "ineffective use of a bigger unit than necessary for the job" is kind of a running theme of Bear designs.

Jellico

• Spatium Magister
  • Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #945 on: 22 July 2018, 20:08:16 »
You need to start thing of the role.

For example Active Probes are stupidly short ranges. Do you really want a transport that close to the action?
Do you want to be carrying Assault suits at all? Their lack of JJs limits their ability to exit at altitude.

Anhur
Eldingar
Tyr
are all in production. This does not include imports.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #946 on: 07 August 2018, 10:20:31 »
The bear sleeps. Rejoyce!! Trothkin, we managed to get a few paragraphs!!! Could be worse, could have gotten the raven treatment.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #947 on: 07 August 2018, 11:51:50 »
The bear sleeps. Rejoyce!! Trothkin, we managed to get a few paragraphs!!! Could be worse, could have gotten the raven treatment.

Hey, don't be drawing attention to that. We're just your friendly neighbourhood background Clan. Nothing to see here, move along, move along.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #948 on: 07 August 2018, 12:47:16 »
My book and new set of Ghost Bear Faction Dice will come on Thursday :)

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #949 on: 07 August 2018, 16:52:33 »
Hey, don't be drawing attention to that. We're just your friendly neighbourhood background Clan. Nothing to see here, move along, move along.

Y'all spent the whole time perfecting your disco elemental. Explains the 27th boogie fever cluster.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #950 on: 07 August 2018, 22:57:18 »
Question for the thread: What do the Ghost Bears do for a pre-Trial of Position ritual?  We have a really solid look at the Falcon version in The Way of the Clans, but I'm not aware of any definitive source on the Ghost Bear version.

Interested for a campaign I'm looking to start, and want to get it as accurate as possible.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #951 on: 07 August 2018, 23:01:21 »
I haven't really read a lot of Ghost Bear novels. But I imagine with their focus on family the whole sibko gets together.

They are also into American Football. Maybe their bear trainer gives them a coach carter speech.  ^-^
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Zeruel

• Lieutenant
  • the Angel of Might
    • Z's DeviantArt gallery
« Reply #952 on: 11 August 2018, 04:25:42 »
My book and new set of Ghost Bear Faction Dice will come on Thursday :)

wait a minute, are those dice available for purchase?? the ones from gencon?
« Last Edit: 11 August 2018, 04:28:19 by Zeruel »
"I'll give the Bears this... they do not care about "being clan" one bit, and they own it." - cold1

"Question: Under zellbrigen, how does one engage Shadow Divisions?
Answer: With orbital bombardment."

73rd Battle Cluster - The Lash

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #953 on: 11 August 2018, 05:59:43 »
Question for the thread: What do the Ghost Bears do for a pre-Trial of Position ritual?  We have a really solid look at the Falcon version in The Way of the Clans, but I'm not aware of any definitive source on the Ghost Bear version.

Interested for a campaign I'm looking to start, and want to get it as accurate as possible.

None of the novels depict anything special, but they do have a intimate funeral when a member of the unit passes away.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #954 on: 11 August 2018, 08:59:10 »
wait a minute, are those dice available for purchase?? the ones from gencon?

Yes: don't have the dice in person yet (guy forgot them and his backpack) but apparently they were sold individually.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #955 on: 28 September 2018, 17:04:38 »
So I've hit my 1,000 post (woot go me) and an update in my Ghost Bear Trinary.

Currently unpainted, not primed, one star not assembled, and missing five Elementals and a Fire Moth but.... Slightly over strength

Command/Assualt Star
Kodiak
Executioner
Warhawk
Nova Cat
Kingfisher

Heavy/Striker Star
Timber Wolf
Mad Dog
Mad Dog
Stooping Hawk
Nova

Recon Star
Shadow Cat
Stormcrow
Pirannha
Bear Cub
Fire Moth

Support Star
Epona Hovertank 4x
Elemental Battle Armor 45x
Undine Battle Armor 24x

Yeah it's a bit of a mess. The Undines, Bear Cub, and Pirannha most likely won't be apart of the final force composition. Didn't plan on the Epona's originally but he price was right and they are awesome tanks. A couple of other mechs I'd like to add but lack of money and other things of course.

Eventually they will be a full Cluster or Galaxy: definetly going to work up a backstory for them. As far as painting them I actually don't quite know how I want to paint them but I'm looking at a mix between Alpha, Beta, and Delta scenes lol.

Xeno426

• Sergeant
« Reply #956 on: 29 September 2018, 15:29:58 »
What era are you going for?
If you've got the Bear Cub, you're looking at the Jihad. Maybe add a Karhu to the list?

A potential replacement for your BattleMechs in your light star would be the Adder, since it shows up on a fair number of the Bear RATs. Otherwise another Fire Moth would be useful given all the BA you've got.

Tyler Jorgensson

• Captain
« Reply #957 on: 30 September 2018, 17:29:25 »
I was thinking 3067 honestly but I can live with the fact that the Bear Cub was 3068.
If I was going to go to Jihad Era a Karhu would be my top pick

A Fire Moth is definetly going to replace the Pirannha at some point. However I may have just acquired a dozen more Clan Mechs (against my better judgement) so let me see if I'll convert it to two full Trinaries :)

BigDuke66

• Master Sergeant
  • Last of the Wilds!
« Reply #958 on: 27 December 2018, 01:48:18 »
Star League Day
The most solemn Clan holiday refers to the assassination of First Lord Richard Cameron, which caused the fall of the Star League on 27 December, 2766.

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #959 on: 27 December 2018, 05:18:10 »
Star League Day
The most solemn Clan holiday refers to the assassination of First Lord Richard Cameron, which caused the fall of the Star League on 27 December, 2766.

I forget, how do we celebrate this day again? Oh that's right, trialling house Kurta 😁

Register