Author Topic: Tell me about....Jump Infantry  (Read 21332 times)

Welshman

• Mostly Retired Has Been
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Tell me about....Jump Infantry
« Reply #60 on: 20 March 2015, 10:27:58 »
Look at the lady from the 292nd League Regulars-

One of my favorite art. I thought long and hard on this one before approving the design of the infantry (AlexanderKnight did all our infantry design for 3085) and create art notes. It really is a bit of a cross between a motorized trooper and a jump trooper whose mother was a Kanga.

-Joel BC-
Catalyst Freelancer (Inactive)

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #61 on: 20 March 2015, 14:12:36 »
I love the Royal Gurkhas from TRO: 3085. That art made me want to play around with jump infantry.

Though...I imagine in combat the bush hat gets replaced with a helmet.

Also the Starfire is an surprising choice of weapon for jump infantry. Single fire weapon that can only be fired every few seconds, but powerful and with a long range, really a sharpshooter's weapon. But the beam is nearly invisible so that's good. I just imagine auto or at least burst fire weapons would be preferred for a lot of jump infantry units, or at least laser rifles without the cool-down time.

I think that speaks to the Gurkhas only firing their weapons while on the ground.
« Last Edit: 20 March 2015, 14:15:46 by Alan Grant »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #62 on: 20 March 2015, 14:40:20 »
I love the Royal Gurkhas from TRO: 3085. That art made me want to play around with jump infantry.

Though...I imagine in combat the bush hat gets replaced with a helmet.

Also the Starfire is an surprising choice of weapon for jump infantry. Single fire weapon that can only be fired every few seconds, but powerful and with a long range, really a sharpshooter's weapon. But the beam is nearly invisible so that's good. I just imagine auto or at least burst fire weapons would be preferred for a lot of jump infantry units, or at least laser rifles without the cool-down time.

I think that speaks to the Gurkhas only firing their weapons while on the ground.
Nah, it's a fancy lostech bush hat.  Proof against all sorts of weaponry.   :D
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #63 on: 20 March 2015, 14:53:33 »

The Gurkha are an exception to the rule. Their jump packs are to get them into position, not to attack.

And no, no helmet. These were a specific design I called for based on my own research and fascination with the Gurkhas. The irony is my fascination came from the Sten science fiction series of the 1980's. The Nepalese tribes that Gurkha soldiers are recruited from are perhaps the closest thing to Dwarves we have in the real world. There is an account of a Gurkha soldier being kicked by the regimental mule. The soldier complained of a headache, the mule went lame.

I specifically made them jump infantry from the inspiration of a Gurkha assault on Burma in WW II. During the briefing the senior enlisted Gurkha (they weren't allowed to be officers until after WW II) protested that jumping from the airplane at 500 feet was too high and asked that the planes fly at 200 feet. The general in the room said "Good god man, your chutes won't have time to open!" To which the Gurkha responded, completely straight faced, "Oh we get parachutes, then 500 feet will be fine."

He was ready to have all his men jump out of a moving airplane at 200 feet and then attack a Japanese airfield.

If I had known the Mariks had Gurkhas when I first got into BT, I would never have gone Davion in the first place. :)
-Joel BC-

"Some closets will never contain Narnia, no matter how many times we open the door." - Weirdo, in relation to the power of hope.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 20 March 2015, 18:25:07 »
TRO 3085 shows some Jump Troopers with rather heavy waponry, the support weapons just part of the Jump Module/Jump pack.

Look at the lady from the 292nd League Regulars- you can see sophisticated targetting gear, ammo and the missle launcher. OTOH you have the Gurkha- who carries a rifle and normal backpack like jump pack.

So there is a lot of variety.

I've always wondered what was going on in this pic - is that contraption strapped to her a giant Jump pack with a built in AA launcher?
Does she jump around with that thing strapped to her? Or is a collapsible unit they assemble once in position.
Because it looks huge and incapable of carrying around

"Hold your position, conserve ammo... and wait for the Dragoons to go Feral"
- last words of unknown merc, Harlech, 3067

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 20 March 2015, 18:31:50 »
I've always wondered what was going on in this pic - is that contraption strapped to her a giant Jump pack with a built in AA launcher?
Does she jump around with that thing strapped to her? Or is a collapsible unit they assemble once in position.

That is a jump "platform". It's what a jump pack dreams of becoming when it grows up. Essentially it's an exoskeleton combined with a jump pack to allow the carrying of heavy weaponry like the infantry fired AA Missile.
-Joel BC-

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #66 on: 20 March 2015, 18:32:07 »

The Blood Kite can jump 90 meters (the length of a football field) and land at a run.

There are much more egregious offenses to the sensibilities than a bulky jump pack. ;)
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #67 on: 20 March 2015, 19:11:00 »
That is a jump "platform". It's what a jump pack dreams of becoming when it grows up. Essentially it's an exoskeleton combined with a jump pack to allow the carrying of heavy weaponry like the infantry fired AA Missile.

Cool. Although I can't imagine it being capable of landing on rough terrain, etc?

Also - wanted to say I love the Gurkha units! Bush hat, ER laser and jump pack is a winning combo for me any day!

Alexander Knight

• Peditum Generalis
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
  • O-R-E-O
« Reply #68 on: 20 March 2015, 20:27:05 »
I prefer the dragon riders.  Elephant guns and pith helmets ho!  :D

DoctorMonkey

• Captain
  • user briefly known as Khan of Clan Sex Panther
« Reply #69 on: 21 March 2015, 05:03:16 »
Cool. Although I can't imagine it being capable of landing on rough terrain, etc?

Also - wanted to say I love the Gurkha units! Bush hat, ER laser and jump pack is a winning combo for me any day!

The Gurkhas prefer to close and use anti-Mech kukris though

Watching a platoon cut trophy 'Mech heads off their fallen enemies is only a rumour but 'Mech jocks in the Lyran and Capellan militarises still whisper such stories...
Avatar stollen from spacebattles.com motivational posters thread

ChanMan: "Capellan Ingenuity: The ability to lose battles to Davion forces in new and implausible ways"

Nav_Alpha

• Major
« Reply #70 on: 21 March 2015, 06:17:02 »

The Gurkhas prefer to close and use anti-Mech kukris though

Watching a platoon cut trophy 'Mech heads off their fallen enemies is only a rumour but 'Mech jocks in the Lyran and Capellan militarises still whisper such stories...

I could imagine entire Cappie units deserting courtesy of mere rumours the Gurkhas were in the area....

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #71 on: 21 March 2015, 07:17:05 »
I prefer the dragon riders.  Elephant guns and pith helmets ho!  :D

I would love to see art of a jump infantry unit with some variation of the pith helmet. That would be awesome.

Now I'm just playing trooper dress up I guess.   

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #72 on: 21 March 2015, 22:57:34 »
I could imagine entire Cappie units deserting courtesy of mere rumours the Gurkhas were in the area....

I can't validate the story directly. However when I was doing my Gurkha research I had a friend who was on first name basis with the head of the Royal Rifles Corps, so the story isn't a random internet rumor.

The story goes that during the Falklands war an Argentine regiment found itself caught between a full regiment (of high skill and repute) and a Gurkha battalion which it outnumbered significantly. The Argentine regiment surrendered to the full regiment of British troops so they wouldn't have to face the Gurkhas.

-Joel BC-

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #73 on: 22 March 2015, 01:13:51 »
I would love to see art of a jump infantry unit with some variation of the pith helmet. That would be awesome.

Now I'm just playing trooper dress up I guess.
Completely understandable, BTech is filled with fashion victims.
Making the dark age a little brighter, one explosion at a time.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 22 March 2015, 13:00:42 »
Do we know if infantry thruster jet packs work in a no-oxygen environment?

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #75 on: 22 March 2015, 13:08:23 »
The fiction I referenced earlier mentions fuel and oxygen storage, so I would guess yes.
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #76 on: 22 March 2015, 14:02:38 »
Thanks!

And another question....

Do we have any vehicle transports with 4 ton infantry bays? I see a lot of vehicles with 3 or 6 ton bays (probably designed with 3 ton foot infantry in mind). I'm looking for something with either 4 or 8, meaning it can carry 1-2 platoons of jump infantry without leaving any empty capacity.

I mean both air and ground transport btw, so VTOLs and and ground vehicles. I'm basically trying to figure out options for mechanizing jump infantry.

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #77 on: 22 March 2015, 14:21:34 »
IS BA squads weigh 4 tons, look for anything designed as an APC/IFV in an era where BA are common.  The Maxim-Infantry comes immediately to mind, it has 12 tons of infantry bay space.
Sunrise is Coming.

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #78 on: 22 March 2015, 18:43:48 »
Good point thanks.

I found the movie Minority Report on youtube. Found the scenes with the jet pack cops.     :)

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #79 on: 24 March 2015, 20:54:53 »
Do we have any vehicle transports with 4 ton infantry bays? I see a lot of vehicles with 3 or 6 ton bays (probably designed with 3 ton foot infantry in mind). I'm looking for something with either 4 or 8, meaning it can carry 1-2 platoons of jump infantry without leaving any empty capacity.

I mean both air and ground transport btw, so VTOLs and and ground vehicles. I'm basically trying to figure out options for mechanizing jump infantry.
Karnov-BA, 8 tons for 2 BAS or 2 JIP.
Bandit & Badger both come with 4T bays on them fixed IIRC with some versions that pack in a 2nd bay.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #80 on: 24 March 2015, 21:44:44 »
Well my preferred aerial delivery unit for BA or Jump Infantry actually has to be the Maxim Hover Tank.....

Air dropped from a Zugovel Omni Support Craft.

Then again, I could be biased.
-Joel BC-

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #81 on: 24 March 2015, 23:08:26 »
Maxim from a zugovel would be a hard landing...
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Welshman

• Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 25 March 2015, 00:51:13 »
Maxim from a zugovel would be a hard landing...

Read the intro to FM:3085.
-Joel BC-

Alan Grant

• Captain
« Reply #83 on: 25 March 2015, 07:51:34 »
Do you think jump infantry in the periphery are a lot rarer than they are in the inner Sphere?

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #84 on: 25 March 2015, 08:07:57 »
Current timeline? No idea. Before the time jump? They're everywhere.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #85 on: 25 March 2015, 09:15:52 »
The Periphery nations aren't that backward in the infantry field, quite the oppossite since they rely more on conventional forces instead of mechs.

Jumpers are simply rare in general. It's simply so much easier to raise a grunt or motorized infantry. Each faction has usually a single cannon jump school, maybe a few more; but almost every planet has the means to train regular infantry, and most do. No point for a planet to send thousands of recruit across the empire, just to fill up its own planetary militia.
Have you met the clans? Words like "Naïve" and "misguided" are not enough to describe the notion that a conquest of the IS by the clans would result in a Utopian pacifistic society.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #86 on: 25 March 2015, 14:10:46 »
Do you think jump infantry in the periphery are a lot rarer than they are in the inner Sphere?

Current timeline? No idea. Before the time jump? They're everywhere.

The Periphery nations aren't that backward in the infantry field, quite the oppossite since they rely more on conventional forces instead of mechs.

Jumpers are simply rare in general. It's simply so much easier to raise a grunt or motorized infantry. Each faction has usually a single cannon jump school, maybe a few more; but almost every planet has the means to train regular infantry, and most do. No point for a planet to send thousands of recruit across the empire, just to fill up its own planetary militia.

I would say they are more rare in the Periphery because everything "advanced" is more rare in the Periphery, but as Sol says they are NOT common in the IS either.

The FC-RCT's have them as 1/5 Regiments but that is only in the RCTs.  They are the least common type of infantry & are rarely found outside of RCT deployments.

The question then is what is "Rare" outside of RCT deployments?  Would you say Rare would be 4 RCT Jump regiments for every 1 Non-RCT Jump regiment?  I'm honestly not sure but that sounds like a good figure.

Some quick stats.
There are 14-ish Infantry Regiments for every Mech Regiment in the AFFS Line Forces.
Half are assigned as individual regiments, the other half are assigned to RCTs & Full Infantry Brigades.
So if we multiply that by 4 RCTs we have a total of 56 Infantry Regiments. 
Based on our 4/1 Jump ratio question this means 5 of which would be Jump Regiments.  So less than 10% of all Infantry.
Half of the infantry regiments (28) are assigned as Single Regiments typically to garrison worlds, probably as a "liason" type position to coordinate with the planetary militia or as a core unit for the PM to form around & take direction from.
20 Regiments are assigned to the 4 RCTs.
This leaves us with 8 Regiments assigned as part of Infantry Brigades.  So probably 2 Brigades of 4 Regiments each with an attached tank regiment taking it to 5 total regiments.  I would guess that 1 extra Jump Regiment is part of one of the Brigades v/s being independently assigned as garrison.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 25 March 2015, 14:15:04 »
Still doesn't  mean they're not everywhere. Deep periphery, maybe not so common but the close periphery nations would have them.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #88 on: 25 March 2015, 14:24:18 »
Agreed, I don't think anyone is restricted from having them.  Simply that they might be even more rare in the Periphery.
Say 5% v/s 9% or whatever.  But still part of the military for sure.

solmanian

• Captain
« Reply #89 on: 25 March 2015, 14:42:12 »
I'd be very interested to know where those stats are from (and what era). Always on the lookout for such "hard" data (even if it only accounts for "line" units, while the militia infantry would definitely outnumber them by a huge margin).

Register