Author Topic: The Wolf Empire: Our Khan Beat Devlin Stone in a Savage Wolf! Buy Savage Wolves!  (Read 194796 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Aha, got it. And I completely screwed up the reference.

Era Report 3145, pg 109, Ganrer Kerensky. "The Kerensky Bloodline has been on the decline for five decades ... fewer sibkos created each year ... those cadets who emerge fail to live up to the  high standards established by the bloodline's pedigree... Garner Kerensky is a rare exception to the downward trend."

So yeah, that sounds like a withering bloodline to me. And as mentioned, Garner is no longer saKhan in 3150, which is pretty high on the Dull Surprise index.
I blame Vlad.  If he had just been more careful with that bottle of bleach...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
Screwing things up is what Vlad does best.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Decoy

• Captain
Actually, I blame Ivan Kerensky. His use of reaving trials against certain bloodhouses left the Kerenskies open to reprisal. No one is to blame for the Kerensky house's downfall but themselves.

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
how much of the decline though is just unrealistic expectations?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
how much of the decline though is just unrealistic expectations?

I'm sure there's some of that.

The main problems to me are the loss of so many genetics experts from the double blows of the Wars of Reaving and the Jihad, as well as the steadily decreasing genes used. The last time new genetics were infused into the genepool were with the creation of the Kell and Magnusson bloodnames - neither of which are Wolf (Empire) names - and I guess the illegal/secret inclusion of Steiner-Davion with the creation of Alaric Ward.

The Wolves should take to heart the idea of creating NEW bloodhouses for their crop of Spheroid warriors, if those warriors prove themselves worthy. New bloodhouses lead to new genes which leads to more diversity and will hopefully slow or stop the degradation of the bloodlines.

Or maybe that's all just smoke and their training sucks.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Deadborder

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Technical Victory!
    • Elmer Studios Blog
From my research, the Wolf Empire's Mu Galaxy is an entirely new formation and not named for a previous (pre-Jihad/WoR) formation. Does anyone know of any references for a colour scheme for the Galaxy? CSO doesn't have any, and while i'm sure the answer is "none given", I'm just being thorough.
Author of BattleCorps stories Grand Theft Agro and Zero Signal

How to Draw MegaMek Icons the Deadborder Way. Over 9000 so far. Determination or madness?

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
I haven't heard of any yet. I guess just go with generic Wolf grey for the time being.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

Vlads Fangs

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
  • Wolf Empire Forever! Next stop- Terra!
2 month check in to see if anything is happening with the Wolves yet.Are we still in limbo?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Anyone ever comb through WCSB to list the AFFC/Ras mech regiments captured/wiped out?  Armor?

Also have to wonder how many JS & DS they captured as they moved forward.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteveRestless

• Major
So, how 'bout that pic for ilClan's cover, of Devilin Stone versus Khan Ward?

The battle damage they're taking is something, but what's really interesting to me is that it appears there's a circle of equals around them. The Warwolf, Black Knight and... I'm not sure what the 3rd background mech is, but they are just standing around watching.

Does anyone recall how the Gencon Duel between Alaric and Devilin went? IIRC it was a wolf win, wasn't it?
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Easy

• Warrant Officer
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 13:11:33 by Easy »

SteveRestless

• Major
I am pretty sure the stone-is-arthur thing has been discussed to death elsewhere, and it was my impression that the  word was that no, he is not.

Regardless of whether he is Arthur or not, he IS an old man with freezer dementia. So I imagine most of the tension would come from the twenty five ton disparity between Alaric's Savage Wolf and Stone's Atlas II.

I think the idea is more "two heads of state battling at the climax" than "this is a fair fight"

I would take, say, a 2/3 Savage Wolf Prime over a 3/4 Atlas II, even if we gave it the benefit of the doubt and used the Atlas II Kerensky (figure the head of the Republic can afford some clantech for a refit).
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
So, how 'bout that pic for ilClan's cover, of Devilin Stone versus Khan Ward?

The battle damage they're taking is something, but what's really interesting to me is that it appears there's a circle of equals around them. The Warwolf, Black Knight and... I'm not sure what the 3rd background mech is, but they are just standing around watching.

Does anyone recall how the Gencon Duel between Alaric and Devilin went? IIRC it was a wolf win, wasn't it?

That middle mech looks like a Malice.  It is interesting that there are Empire and Republic mechs making up the Circle of Equals.  It might just mean there was a Trial for Earth ala Tukayyid.  It might also mean that as of the moment of that Trial, the forces of the Empire and Republic have already merged and Devlin and Stone are settling who'll lead the new entity (presumably, the ilClan).

From my impression of the lore, Devlin Stone is actually Arthur Steiner-Davion, supposedly assassinated during the FedCom Civil War, but actually kidnapped by WoB and taken to Kittery, where he was held in a camp after the SLDF Eridani Light Horse and Nova Cat garrisons went off to fight the Civil War w/ Victor and the Blakists moved in after the dissolution and started the Jihad.

If Stone /is/ actually Arthur, then the lore does not paint him as a particularly elite Mechwarrior, but more of a political leader/strategist.

It doesn't seem like much of a stretch for a cunning trueborn to defeat an old man who largely spent his time with command staffs and military advisors.

Maybe I missed the context of the matchup, why this would be a real contest...

Whether he was once Arthur or not, he's now a different character.  And as that new character, he's always been portrayed as a kicker of asses and taker of names.

SteveRestless

• Major
That middle mech looks like a Malice.  It is interesting that there are Empire and Republic mechs making up the Circle of Equals.  It might just mean there was a Trial for Earth ala Tukayyid.  It might also mean that as of the moment of that Trial, the forces of the Empire and Republic have already merged and Devlin and Stone are settling who'll lead the new entity (presumably, the ilClan).

Ah, You are right, that is a malice. For some reason I'd been remembering that as bulkier. For a hundred tonner it doesnt look much bigger than that black knight.

If the context of the gencon battle is worth anything (and I suspect it is) this fight is concurrent with the rest of the battle for unity city at the climax of terra's conquest. My guess as to why they have formed a CoE is that the republic is pushed into a corner, and stone knows the clan mind. Must figure his best chance for the republic's survival is to try for a one on one.

And I am pretty sure it is actually the Savage Wolf Alpha config that is being used there, since there are no rear-facing missile ports that I can see, and there's a trio of beams extending to the Atlas II. Best match is the A. Had been going off the established fact that Alaric tended to use the prime configuration. Could be the Charlie, but I would expect larger missile racks on that.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
I am pretty sure the stone-is-arthur thing has been discussed to death elsewhere, and it was my impression that the  word was that no, he is not.
<snip>
I think the idea is more "two heads of state battling at the climax" than "this is a fair fight"

Yeh. Discussed to death is not the same as resolved. Ok, alot of players don't really care, but fictional characters do, and it would be a good thing, I think, if the truth was revealed.

I think it matters, but there are two questions, related to Aleric and Devlin that want a definitive answer, to wit the Lyran Succession, and Aleric's claim on the Archonship.

Devlin (actually Arthur?) defeating Aleric could mean more than just Terra, but also Tharkad.

This is why I'm claiming that there is a sign of a mysterious canon source out there guiding this that we, in the general public, might not be aware of, that doesnt have retroactive consequences on the timeline, /per se/, but might be significant to plotting storylines that don't create Alternate Universes any more than strictly necessary.

Does this make sense? It motivates my question, because the characters care.

SteveRestless

• Major
Yeh. Discussed to death is not the same as resolved. Ok, alot of players don't really care, but fictional characters do, and it would be a good thing, I think, if the truth was revealed.

my thought was more "a wolf chatterweb thread is probably not the place where it'll be definitively settled.
I would very much like for TPTB to definitively reveal in a sourcebook whether or not he was arthur and put the matter to bed, but Hard Facts and putting this sort of speculation to bed is not modern battletech's tendency.

Way too much work to find it, but I have memories of Herb outright saying that Arthur was not Stone, and that stone was just some new guy, no particular importance to his life before being Stone.

I think it matters, but there are two questions, related to Aleric and Devlin that want a definitive answer, to wit the Lyran Succession, and Aleric's claim on the Archonship.

Devlin (actually Arthur?) defeating Aleric could mean more than just Terra, but also Tharkad.

This is why I'm claiming that there is a sign of a mysterious canon source out there guiding this that we, in the general public, might not be aware of, that doesnt have retroactive consequences on the timeline, /per se/, but might be significant to plotting storylines that don't create Alternate Universes any more than strictly necessary.

Does this make sense? It motivates my question, because the characters care.

Wolves already won on Tharkad, and cared so little about it, that they only did so to tweak the falcons' collective beaks. They could have had that planet long before they have reached Terra.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Wolves already won on Tharkad, and cared so little about it, that they only did so to tweak the falcons' collective beaks. They could have had that planet long before they have reached Terra.

I believe what Easy was getting at is Alaric's publicly outing himself as a Steiner and therefore implicitly placing a claim on legitimacy to the throne of the Commonwealth.  Even if calling himself "Archon" started off as purely a Sheeple Management Tactic to maintain control over the Empire, it could feasibly expand into designs on the entire Commonweath (real or imagined).

Easy

• Warrant Officer
I believe what Easy was getting at is Alaric's publicly outing himself as a Steiner and therefore implicitly placing a claim on legitimacy to the throne of the Commonwealth.  Even if calling himself "Archon" started off as purely a Sheeple Management Tactic to maintain control over the Empire, it could feasibly expand into designs on the entire Commonweath (real or imagined).

Yes, with the proviso that Aleric's mother, Katherine, was a Steiner-Davion, like Arthur, not Steiners like Peter and Adam. In other words, Devlin would be Aleric's uncle, but both would be Steiner-Davions and not Steiners like the /actual/ line of legitimate Archons Andrew, Melissa and Trillian.

The gut-shot to Aleric, in this matchup, is that Devlin (if Arthur) could, if the Secret Identities are exposed, <insert anxious dodge here>, Devlin can drive a stake in the heart of Aleric's bloodline claims on the LC, and, really, Clan Wolf, because his rivals would, undoubtedly, use that against him.

OR, Arthur really did die already, or something else happened.

Piqued my interest.
« Last Edit: 03 June 2017, 12:55:37 by Easy »

SteveRestless

• Major
Who cares about Tharkad though? Terra is far more important to the culture of the clans than some successor state capital.

If Alaric can secure Terra for Clan Wolf, hell, if he can just open the door to it, it wouldn't matter if he was three monkeys in a trenchcoat, he'd still have made them (or opened the door to becoming) the ilClan and any other factors would pale against that.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Who cares about Tharkad though? Terra is far more important to the culture of the clans than some successor state capital.

Sigh. No, j/k. I'm not sure this is something all the Khans would agree with as a general policy of them all. I think there is a significant number of Clans who do not look at the legacy of the Terran Hegemony as something to recreate. After the Jihad, many Clans contributed to the Republic, so, maybe the Hegemony had the last laugh in a way. The Republic seems to treat the Clans pretty instrumentally, though. Does Devlin Stone recognize some kind of natural right to Terra, the way a Khan might? That might matter to an envious Khan.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Actually, Trillian IS a Steiner-Davion.  Its why she was sent to the FedSuns as an ambassador.

With that aside, I do not expect to see Trillian handing over the throne to Alaric just because of his claim.  It IS interesting b/c it puts the Clans involved in a potential dynastic squabble.

I thought Devlin had a Atlas III?  Looked up, nope its a II.  I am not sure his version really has all that much more firepower than Alaric's Savage Wolf, all the Clan component versions and armored equipment kind of balances with the Wolf's Ferro-Lam armor.  I thought he used a ATM version rather than the Prime, which would encourage them to close since he would actually outdamage the Atlas II with HE rounds.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel

arKhan.

I will never not make this 'correction'.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Actually, Trillian IS a Steiner-Davion.  It's why she was sent to the FedSuns as an ambassador.

With that aside, I do not expect to see Trillian handing over the throne to Alaric just because of his claim.  It IS interesting b/c it puts the Clans involved in a potential dynastic squabble.

Ok. Trillian is a Steiner-Davion, like Alaric, although I'll still suggest that most Lyrans consider Steiner-Davion the cadet branch, any more. Even still, Trillian's claim is legit, Alaric's is not, but does the Republic give less than two-tenths of a half of a crap about it? Magic 8-ball says no. Or Maybe. Or yes. Depends on how many times you ask, maybe.

About expecting the Lyran Succession to be settled by ANY Clan, one with the blood of a Steiner-Davion or not, especially KATHERINE, lol. I mean, I'm not here to pick a fight with Clan Wolf, if your getting that impression, but, Alaric-fans, how delusional do you have to be to even entertain the thought that any authority over any Lyran world can descend from Katherine.

Alaric can play the scourge, he may even take Terra and replace the RotS regime with one of his own.

He will never be Archon. General war would ensue, I tend to think, and would not end until he was dead and Clan Wolf had a new Khan with a mandate to keep his hands off of the LC.

This is all just idle speculation, though. We'll see what the new Line Devs will reveal.

I hope it happens before I'm over Steiner and on to something else, but, you know, don't give up the ship.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2017, 09:12:53 by Easy »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Alaric's claim is just as good as Trillian's claim . . . its a matter of who controls the throne world and controls the most worlds.

You need to look at the period material more, if the Wolves wanted Tharkad they could have kept and if they wanted it now they could take it.  Trillian's LCAF is in bad shape and they do not have the kroner any longer to hire mercs.  She left one of her strongest allies to die off (supposedly) and endangered the biggest producer of war material her country has . . .

. . . granted she has not had a lot of options with those choices, but its what she decided to do.
Colt Ward

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
There are interesting details in FM3145.

The Empire is (as of 3145) an artificial construct.  The Empire's touman has absorbed native sphereoids wholesale, and even then it's still woefully not enough to control all the worlds they already have, only the civilians' lack of offworld communication has prevented the Empire's forces from being bogged down by rebellions (pg 152).  That could certainly mean that should Alaric want Tharkad, he's not in a position right now to take it and hold it.

However I think it's also clear that any designs on Tharkad would be for the immediate term moot.  He wants Terra first and foremost.  Now I find another quote from that same page in FM3145 to be a Chekov's Gun:

Quote from: FM3145 pg 152
While [abandoning their lower castes in favor of enlisting sphereoids into the Clan] will certainly have repercussions in the long term, it has, like many of the Wolves’ recent actions, kept them fighting and winning—and, perhaps, if they keep winning, the long term might well take care of itself.

The Wolf Clan is, imo, soon to be a relic of the timeline's past and that quote is the tipoff.  It's undergoing a transformation... and it looks to me like the writers are teasing the fans with what they're going to become.  Probably the ilClan, perhaps in concert with or by merging with other faction(s).  Or maybe they're about to merge with the Inner Sphere and quit being distinctly "Clan", as the Bears have already done and the Ravens are in the process of doing.  Quite possibly: both.  Then again, maybe that ominous sounding line isn't about to "go off" in the ilClan storyline and it isn't really a Chekov's Gun.  I can't say; but I think it is.
« Last Edit: 05 June 2017, 18:56:58 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Easy

• Warrant Officer
Alaric's claim is just as good as Trillian's claim . . . its a matter of who controls the throne world and controls the most worlds.

You need to look at the period material more, if the Wolves wanted Tharkad they could have kept and if they wanted it now they could take it.  Trillian's LCAF is in bad shape and they do not have the kroner any longer to hire mercs.  She left one of her strongest allies to die off (supposedly) and endangered the biggest producer of war material her country has . . .

. . . granted she has not had a lot of options with those choices, but its what she decided to do.

A very strong argument to make to a Khan. Unfortunately for Alaric, it's not the Khans he must convince, but the Estates General. If the Estates General would pull the rug out from under Archon Melissa, because they did not feel she was good enough to deal with the existential threat to the Commonwealth, how much less would they support the bastard son of Katherine Steiner-Davion, who was responsible for what many sources call the bloodiest war the LC and FS ever fought? This is the argument you make to everyone BUT the Khans.

But I understand some of the support for that point of view. The perpetual Occupation Zones of the Wolves and the Falcons engenders a sense that any world will simply lie down. Some would, but not as many as the map of the Inner Sphere would suggest.

You can question the views of human nature that these politics represent and second guess the intentions of the Line Devs, we all do. It's normal, but what you might really want is possession of the objective facts.

Committing to those objective facts can be hard and can produce anxiety. However, I think it's worth it.

Some disagree.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
The Estates General is a sop, Peter was made Archon after taking Tharkad and the power was transferred from Alessandro to the real Katrina through politics.  He takes enough members, or any still on planet if he captured it again, and Alaric is declared Archon- who holds the capital, the building the Estates General meet in and a number of members.

Its the same sort of argument about why Katherine could not be First Prince- yet she held New Avalon and the throne, fait accompli.  No matter that she did not meet the strict requirements of FedSuns law, she was First Princess for a time.

TDC, they brought a number of their civilians with them though no all.  Its also not a matter of communication, Alaric's swift and harsh response to any rebellion will settle any attempts before they flare up.  You can easily see that in the view of the youngest Halas-Marik, who flat out stated it was pointless trying to foster any rebellions on former League worlds because they were brutally crushed.  It was better to target Lyran occupied worlds.

As for the Empire Touman and their positioning, they are a military encamped for movement.  Alaric is trying units against the Remnant and Galatean League, with the bulk & best poised to charge for Terra when the Fortress is breached.  They clearly state in FM3145 that its the chief strategic calculus in their deployments.
Colt Ward

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
There are interesting details in FM3145.

The Empire is (as of 3145) an artificial construct.  The Empire's touman has absorbed native sphereoids wholesale, and even then it's still woefully not enough to control all the worlds they already have,
When I read FM 3145 I got the impression that the Lyrans, Suns, former & reformed FWL, Republic, and others were in a similar situation.

That could certainly mean that should Alaric want Tharkad, he's not in a position right now to take it and hold it.

However I think it's also clear that any designs on Tharkad would be for the immediate term moot.  He wants Terra first and foremost. 
I agree Terra is his likely primary goal, but the big thing stopping him from taking Tharkad is the Falcons and Malvina. The Falcons, and especially Malvina seem to believe the Lyrans are their private hunting grounds and would go berzerk if the Wolves took Tharkad. Alaric probably sees it as a waste of resources to capture and then defend from the Falcons.

A very strong argument to make to a Khan. Unfortunately for Alaric, it's not the Khans he must convince, but the Estates General. If the Estates General would pull the rug out from under Archon Melissa, because they did not feel she was good enough to deal with the existential threat to the Commonwealth, how much less would they support the bastard son of Katherine Steiner-Davion, who was responsible for what many sources call the bloodiest war the LC and FS ever fought? This is the argument you make to everyone BUT the Khans.

But I understand some of the support for that point of view. The perpetual Occupation Zones of the Wolves and the Falcons engenders a sense that any world will simply lie down. Some would, but not as many as the map of the Inner Sphere would suggest.

You can question the views of human nature that these politics represent and second guess the intentions of the Line Devs, we all do. It's normal, but what you might really want is possession of the objective facts.

Committing to those objective facts can be hard and can produce anxiety. However, I think it's worth it.

Some disagree.
I think that argument can be made if Trillian or Roderick is still around. Otherwise I think Alaric has as strong a claim as any with the Estates General. In fact, unless something drastically changes, I think all he has to do is beat down the LCAF some and demand his title of Archon. If not, the understrength forces will be left without an Archon to face down the Falcons and Leaguers. At that point, I think the Estates General would welcome the Wolves with open arms and the Alaric as Archon. Better to have a loose tie to their past than have one or both of their enemies tear them apart.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

Sharpnel

• Colonel

Trillian did not desert her allies nor anger Vedet Brewster, that was Melissa's. Trillian is left picking up the mess that her cousin(?) created.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Decoy

• Captain
He's talking about the Tamar Trap Trillian made of Hesperus II. The one where Trillian's forces just gave the Eridani Light Horse a big middle finger. I wonder what the ELH did to Trillian to merit such treatment from her. I guess Trillian is another psycho Steiner. *shrugs*

Register