Author Topic: TRO: Succession Wars (yes, you can buy it now)  (Read 35384 times)

Maingunnery

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pirates and C3 masters are on the hitlist
Re: TRO: Succession Wars (yes, you can buy it now)
« Reply #60 on: 23 July 2017, 08:31:28 »

Good intro product, too bad about all that old Loose art and the missing designs.
Herb: "Well, now I guess we'll HAVE to print it. Sounds almost like the apocalypse I've been working for...."

The Society:Fan XTRO & Field Manual
Nebula California: HyperTube Xtreme
Nebula Confederation Ships

ChrystalNiNja88

• Corporal
  • THE WORD, THE WORD, THE WORD....
« Reply #61 on: 23 July 2017, 09:32:39 »
Very disappointed with this. If I had known that iconic Mech's would be COMPLETELY OMITTED; aka the Rifleman, Marauder, Warhammer, All the Ost Mech's, Stinger, Wasp, etc etc etc, then I would not have bothered to purchase it. Serious buyers remorse.

I agree with that sentiment. I'm alright with nabbing the pdf if this is all that it'd have, but I won't be grabbing a paper copy unless those are included.
Socket to me! -Robot Nixon

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #62 on: 23 July 2017, 09:36:03 »
They won't won't be. Sorry, I'm literally the first to be unhappy about it, but what you see there is what went to press.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

wolfspider

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #63 on: 23 July 2017, 10:32:22 »
They won't won't be. Sorry, I'm literally the first to be unhappy about it, but what you see there is what went to press.
Sad to hear but I know you tried your best. Good Luck w 3250 I hope it works out, meanwhile I will looking for something that will be "EPIC"
I may have a low amount of posts but I have a PHD in Battletech and mechs older then most people on this board!

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
« Reply #64 on: 23 July 2017, 10:34:16 »
I imagine that's also why BattleMech Manual reuses the Mad Cat art instead of that Rifleman  :'(

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 23 July 2017, 10:46:37 »
Uh, wasn't the Rifleman intended for cover of CM:Davion? Never read of any plans for a classic 'Mech to be on cover of the BMM.

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
« Reply #66 on: 23 July 2017, 10:57:22 »
Uh, wasn't the Rifleman intended for cover of CM:Davion? Never read of any plans for a classic 'Mech to be on cover of the BMM.
nope, CM Davion will have a Battlemaster
the cover features a Marauder under Battlemaster's feet, maybe they will not use this one either

I found this image here
https://img.fireden.net/tg/image/1470/43/1470437957803.jpg

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #67 on: 23 July 2017, 11:04:21 »
Oh, well, still don't recall anything about BMM getting a Rifleman.

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #68 on: 23 July 2017, 11:12:32 »
So outside of a new TRO and something on my shelf that looks nice.
Is there nothing really new in this book??

Im going to get it anyways just want to know.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 23 July 2017, 11:20:46 »
Introduction set in 3250, three new entries with new art but no new 'Mechs per se, art for some of classics but nothing we haven't seen before. It is a compilation product meant for new players after all.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #70 on: 23 July 2017, 11:41:14 »
Oh, well, still don't recall anything about BMM getting a Rifleman.

The original BMM preview did have a Rifleman.  You can see a video or two online when the book was first announced with Randall holding up the cover.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #71 on: 23 July 2017, 11:48:02 »
The original BMM preview did have a Rifleman.  You can see a video or two online when the book was first announced with Randall holding up the cover.
Ah, that explains it, i never watch any videos about anything so i miss stuff like that.

Adacas

• Lieutenant
  • In the Cesar Service!!
« Reply #72 on: 23 July 2017, 12:03:53 »
I doubt very much that the houses will bow their heads and have accepted a clan like First Lord, would not rule out that this New Star League has been established on the territories occupied by the clans, the rest I see it doubtful

The missing mechs very rare and very regrettable their omission

Eisenwolf

• Sergeant
  • Martius Lupus
« Reply #73 on: 23 July 2017, 14:36:10 »
Why was the Talos included?

According to the MUL it was allready extinct by this period.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #74 on: 23 July 2017, 14:48:06 »
Why was the Talos included?

According to the MUL it was allready extinct by this period.

The book includes stuff from Age of War to first half of 31st century. I guess this could be a retcon, or there were enough Taloses it warrants inclusion in the book even if it is functionally extinct and no longer produced(contradictory to be sure, but this is BattleTech...).
EDIT Actually, the entry itself justifies its inclusion:
"Nevertheless, with thousands of the hardy ’Mechs already built, the Talos remained in service within the Periphery armies, as well as second-line Inner Sphere units, until the early Succession War era"

A meta-reason may be to give it some visibility. TRO/Record Sheet units are better known than units exclusive to source books.
« Last Edit: 23 July 2017, 14:49:48 by Empyrus »

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #75 on: 23 July 2017, 15:05:34 »
 [copper]
Ok guys, this topic is about the Succession War TRO.
If you want to continue discussing HG, please do so in the following thread, which was split out from this one:
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58142.0
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #76 on: 23 July 2017, 15:07:14 »
The book includes stuff from Age of War to first half of 31st century.
That's why in a nutshell. The title "Succession Wars" was a compromise, but it's a compilation from the dawn of the BattleMech to the end of the Succession Wars.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #77 on: 23 July 2017, 15:19:33 »
Ah, that explains the jarring switches in tech level.  Previous TROs broke out different tech levels in different sections.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #78 on: 23 July 2017, 15:23:45 »
That's why in a nutshell. The title "Succession Wars" was a compromise, but it's a compilation from the dawn of the BattleMech to the end of the Succession Wars.

Technical Readout:  Broad Cross Section of the History of the Battlemech in the Inner Sphere up until Operation Revival doesn't exactly roll off the tongue, after all.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Luciora

• Major
« Reply #79 on: 23 July 2017, 15:55:49 »
I was going to wait for the deadtree edition, but now going to get the PDFs as well.  I'd rather my money going to a group that's still actively putting out product than waiting decades to only grudgingly allow a trickle.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #80 on: 24 July 2017, 06:33:33 »
I have to save for the book, get it yet. I'm confused why the Age of War Mechs were included. The Talos for an example was extinct when the First Successsion War broke out with exception of a single survivor that was placed on top of a pillar that was later destroyed.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #81 on: 24 July 2017, 08:35:55 »
I have to save for the book, get it yet. I'm confused why the Age of War Mechs were included. The Talos for an example was extinct when the First Successsion War broke out with exception of a single survivor that was placed on top of a pillar that was later destroyed.

AG answers that few posts earlier. It is a compilation product that covers 'Mechs from their dawn to up to Clan Invasion. Also, the Talos entry actually notes the 'Mech served during the early Succession Wars. It is extinct in MUL because it is no longer manufactured, and existing numbers are relatively low (and is is probably limited to certain regions too).

Note the earlier name was "Technical Readout: Star League and Succession Wars" but that was axed due to being too unwieldy.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #82 on: 24 July 2017, 09:05:08 »
AG answers that few posts earlier. It is a compilation product that covers 'Mechs from their dawn to up to Clan Invasion. Also, the Talos entry actually notes the 'Mech served during the early Succession Wars. It is extinct in MUL because it is no longer manufactured, and existing numbers are relatively low (and is is probably limited to certain regions too).

Note the earlier name was "Technical Readout: Star League and Succession Wars" but that was axed due to being too unwieldy.
They should have stuck with years instead of “Succession Wars”, I understand unweilding part.
Thiat’s why I like years being assigned to it.  4 digits is easier to remember. TRO: 2500-3039 would have cleared it up too.  I’m not marketing person thou. :/
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Konrath

• Corporal
« Reply #83 on: 24 July 2017, 10:15:02 »
So why was the Mauler omitted?

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #84 on: 24 July 2017, 10:16:31 »
I'd rather stick with TRO:3039, and made a supplement.  Everything that was needed was in there. :/

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
« Reply #85 on: 24 July 2017, 10:26:45 »

Considered less important in 3250 than the Nightstar?
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

Xiwo Xerase

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #86 on: 24 July 2017, 10:47:45 »
My guess: The Mauler was introduced in 3048 and is outside the scope of the book.  If there's an equivalent book for the Clan Invasion era, it should end up there.  (Listing the Daboku without any knowledge of the Mauler makes little sense to me.  And it's not like the Daboku was a great 'Mech of its time (of any time?).)

Or maybe they're holding on to the Daboku to headline TRO: Succession Wars II.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #87 on: 24 July 2017, 10:53:02 »
Yeah, the Mauler's any real impact (if any) has been post-Clan Invasion. The Daboku had minimal impact on the War of '39, and it wasn't even an innovation when it arrived since it was far from the first new 'Mech in 31st century. The Cataphract, Raven and Hatchetman and other early 31st century new 'Mechs are arguably more important and deserve a place in the book, unlike a 'Mech that was deemed a failure.

I'd rather stick with TRO:3039, and made a supplement.  Everything that was needed was in there. :/
This thing is for new players, and a companion to BattleMech Manual which includes a bit more than just introductory tech. Plus the TRO works as a companion for Succession Wars sourcebooks.
As TRO's go, this makes sense IMO.
« Last Edit: 24 July 2017, 10:55:23 by Empyrus »

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #88 on: 24 July 2017, 10:53:36 »
there were a number of omissions... I want to say at least a half dozen. The Champion and Caesar aren't in there either. IIRC there are page limit cutoffs in the publishing process, which probably accounts for the MIA units.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

sadlerbw

• Captain
« Reply #89 on: 24 July 2017, 10:55:56 »
Haven't picked up the PDF yet, but I probably will tonight.

I'm disappointed that some of the Classics were not included, not because I wanted the new art (I did) but because they are some of the best units in the succession wars eras. The Warhammer and Marauder especially are THE trooper heavies of 3025. The Phoenix Hawk is also one of the better mediums as well. LRM support also gets tough with no Longbows, Archers, and Crusaders. Honestly, I would have preferred to have the sheets included, even if they just had the outlines, or the reseen art. I really think leaving those mechs out screws with the balance of that period of play. Sure we wouldn't have new Minis available for those exact variants, but we rarely have minis for every variant anyway and there ARE minis available for other variants of pretty much all of those chassis. Even if you couldn't show the pictures, I think those units are important enough that their sheets should still be there.

Still, I'm glad to see these PDF's out and look forward to picking them up. Can't let perfect be the enemy of good and all that.

Register