Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: BattleTech Beginner Box and BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat  (Read 106732 times)

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Would that make you an air pirate?

probably as i'd try to make off with some of the product

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

00Dawg

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • CamoSpecs Coordinator

CDT Special Agent #343

LightGuard

• Master Sergeant
  • They called him Camouflage
Would that make you an air pirate?

*Dusts off a copy of Crimson Skies* Aye!

Though, I seriously hope we get these in time for Christmas. My wife has a helluva time getting me something I want before I buy it for myself...
The Things I Do for Love...

Do not try to apply real-world logic to Battletech.  Naught lies there but madness and ruin. - moneylovingogre4hire

That's fine, then.  I've been waiting since 2014 or so, what's another year?  Time laughs at all things, but BattleTech laughs at time.  Then launches a trial of possession for it. - rebs

avon1985

• Major
Very good news, just in time for Christmas! :thumbsup:

Umgar

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Recruit
  • Demo Team Agent #258
I've had pre-orders in for both sets for a good while now at my FLGS, stopped by yesterday to confirm they still had them in the system and update them as to the expected arrival time.

One interesting thing I've noticed though is that while the distributor (Alliance) has the Beginner Box in their system already, and has for some time, they don't have the Game of Armored Combat box. I'm not sure if this means anything, I just thought it was odd.
New to Battletech? Handy infographic here: https://i.imgur.com/TcTWdFB.png

Joewrightgm

• Master Sergeant
It’s going to be the 3rd this week! I’ve never been this excited for a Monday!

SajuukKhar

• Private
I am having trouble finding these boxes in Canada, are they out yet?  I heard the beginners box should be available now and then the main box about a month later?

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
The Beginner Box should hit distributors around now.  When it gets to stores is another matter.

In general, start looking.  But at this point the precise times are going to be all over.  U.S. will see it first, Canada et al typically to follow.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
The Beginner Box should hit distributors around now.  When it gets to stores is another matter.

In general, start looking.  But at this point the precise times are going to be all over.  U.S. will see it first, Canada et al typically to follow.

And, I just put in a pre-order with my FLGS for five of these beauties :)

Bishop2K7

• Recruit
Is there a link to download a PDF of the new Mech Record Sheets that come with the new boxset?

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
BattleTech Boxed Set Update #3 and Shattered Fortress Availability

We're pleased to announce that the full print runs of the "BattleTech Beginner Box" and "BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat" reached our fulfillment center as scheduled on Dec. 3

After a week of discussions with that partner company, we can confirm that the Beginner Box has moved into the distribution pipeline and could appear on store shelves as soon as this Friday, Dec. 14, with full availability likely during the week of Dec. 17. This distribution is taking place by special agreement outside the company's normal ordering and street date schedule, an effort to get the Beginner Box to the public as soon as possible and before the holidays. However, local availability in your area may vary as this unique distribution process unfolds.

Following the fulfillment center's planned shutdown for the winter holidays, the "BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat" boxed set will have a street date of Wednesday, January 23. Both box sets should be available via your local game store's order form, and both will become available via the Catalyst Game Labs webstore on January 23.

In addition, due to a miscommunication regarding scheduling, "Shattered Fortress" will have a street date of Wednesday, January 23 rather than the previously-announced date of November 28. The full print run of that sourcebook has been received by the fulfillment center and is available now through the Catalyst Game Labs store. However, all orders for that product placed through the Catalyst store will be fulfilled and shipped immediately--many customers have already ordered and reported receiving their copies.

We hope you enjoy these long-awaited products and have a very happy holiday season.

Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra

I applaud your taste in movies, good sir :)

This is excellent news!

Warboar

• Recruit
So I am slightly new to Battletech and I am confused on how to get started with the tabletop. Is there a difference between the board game and tabletop or am I confusing myself lol. And which boxed set would I buy if I wanted to play Battletech Tabletop. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
So I am slightly new to Battletech and I am confused on how to get started with the tabletop. Is there a difference between the board game and tabletop or am I confusing myself lol. And which boxed set would I buy if I wanted to play Battletech Tabletop. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Battletech is a hybrid, designed as a board game, but played frequently like a tabletop wargame. Even the tabletop experience is most commonly a hybrid where players still use hexes, just in a beautiful 3D environment instead of a game sheet. Others dispense with hexes and use tape measure/miniature gameplay using commonly available conversion rules.

As for getting started, if you would like playing as a board game, the box sets described above will be your best bet once they're fully available. I have both of them and recommend both of them, but if you want to wait for the full box (A Game of Armored Combat), feel free.

I should note that the beginner box uses a redacted rule-set intended to support teaching just like you would get with, say, the D&D intro box, Shadowrun intro box, and other ~$20 boxes. I still recommend it because it's still such a cool package. But the full rules are in the AGoAC box.
« Last Edit: 11 December 2018, 15:52:20 by Bedwyr »
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
I should note that the beginner box uses a redacted rule-set intended to support teaching just like you would get with, say, the D&D intro box, Shadowrun intro box, and other ~$20 boxes. I still recommend it because it's still such a cool package. But the full rules are in the AGoAC box.

Also the Beginner Box comes with the Griffin miniature, which is exclusive to that product.

Warboar

• Recruit
I really appreciate the quick reply!!! Everybody seems awesome on these forums. So I’m very interested in playing it as a tabletop wargame. Where can I find the rules for that? And the 2 starter boxes would still be a good investment? Thanks again for your time!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Simple rules will be in the first box with the two mechs.  More rules will be in the Game box released in January though I am not sure about their depth.  If you are just interested in Mech rules, to include optional ones that can scale up the challenge, you should look at the BattleMech Manual which has a reprint coming soon to include errata and trying to make the language simpler.  The full ruleset are in books like Total War, Tactical Operations, and more in that set that add layers of the wargame nature and expand the scope- the idea that each new book zooms out to increase the scale.

A few people have topics about getting started with the game, I believe Sartis has a really good one outlining the products before these boxes.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
The beginner box has cardboard cutouts for additional 'Mechs, no? Two plastic minis, and cutouts? Or were the cutouts only in the full box set?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
The beginner box has cardboard cutouts for additional 'Mechs, no? Two plastic minis, and cutouts? Or were the cutouts only in the full box set?

Beginner box also has listed:
“Punchboard of additional BattleMechs”
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Beginner box also has listed:
“Punchboard of additional BattleMechs”

You get a lance of "red team" vs "blue team" standups, two of each: thunderbolt, wolverine, locust, griffin

A few people have topics about getting started with the game, I believe Sartis has a really good one outlining the products before these boxes.

I did a little guide for new people for items to look at after the boxset

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=44730.msg1030134

Sargon

• Recruit
I stopped by my local game store tonight and they still didn't see any entry from their distributor for A Game Of Armored Combat.  I will check back with them again in a few weeks.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
Ah fudge, I thought I could actually buy the sets before the New Year. Guess not.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
From a macro perspective it would have been clutch to get them out before Christmas. My selfishly, my wallet needs a rest

radian

• Recruit
Any option to buy direct?
This site still links to battlecorps.com

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Any option to buy direct?
This site still links to battlecorps.com

Not yet. Both boxes are planned to be up for sale at store.catalystgamelabs.com on Jan. 23.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

igycrctl

• Recruit
I thought I had heard that the beginner box was going to hit stores yesterday, but no one seems to have it. Has anyone seen it in the wild?

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
There was the potential for it to hit yesterday. If your store ordered it, it should show up this week

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Lol, I called the local store at least 3 times in the last two weeks.  Yesterday it was to check on if it was available through their distributor yet.  I also had them set aside a Settlers of Catan I decided to give my nieces & nephew for Christmas, a board game I felt confident in working for the high school to elementary school spread.  Might have to pick up another Lance Pack for my 2 year old, he has a company of plastics so far.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
stopped by my flgs today to check. they said it's still listed as "coming soon" which means they didn't get it and can't order it. looks like i'll have to wait a month since i refuse to patronize the scalpers on ebay

though i REALLY wanted to buy the complete set of gencon aluminum dice on ebay for $400 as was only prevented from doing so by the fear of being executed mob style by my wife