Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: BattleTech Beginner Box and BattleTech: A Game of Armored Combat  (Read 106868 times)

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
Yeah, between the Plastic Shadow Hawks, and the metal Shadow Hawks, I gots enough ;)
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

Easy

• Warrant Officer
cleanup
« Last Edit: 29 May 2019, 15:40:05 by Easy »

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Visited my FLGS today; my order status Sold Out, waiting for Restock. Believe the owner is now looking into it, going to double check the product code the next time I visit just in case.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Andrew_Cluetain

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Sniper Mech?
My FLGS has had my copy of BT:GoAC on order for about a month, his distributor Alliance says it is out of stock at the warehouse.  So I'm wondering if more copies are being printed or is there some other problem...
Any info would be helpful, thanks!

PS: a few of my players have the same issue.
Remember us Ravens seek the ultmate highground, space.

CSR Beta Galaxy

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
Are you US or Europe?

I think demand outstripped what distributors sent.  Seems like a lot of stores did not get their full pre-order.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
If he's using Alliance, he's in the US.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
My FLGS has had my copy of BT:GoAC on order for about a month, his distributor Alliance says it is out of stock at the warehouse.  So I'm wondering if more copies are being printed or is there some other problem...
Any info would be helpful, thanks!

PS: a few of my players have the same issue.

The GoAC didn't sell out as quickly as the Beginner Box so it's on a different restock cycle. Restocks have either been ordered or are in the process (I'm unclear of which) but we will be getting more.

If you want it now, our website still had copies in stock, though we don't know how many

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-a-game-of-armored-combat
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

Andrew_Cluetain

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Corporal
  • Sniper Mech?
I'm US, and while I have no problem waiting, my players where hoping for answers / when they might get the GoAC.  So to answer their question, Restocks ordered means that it is in production and shipping to distributers or does it mean something else?  I know better than to ask for dates but knowing roughly where in the process the item is can help my players be less concerned.
Thanks!
Remember us Ravens seek the ultmate highground, space.

CSR Beta Galaxy

Bosefius

• Will Moderate for Hugs
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
I'm US, and while I have no problem waiting, my players where hoping for answers / when they might get the GoAC.  So to answer their question, Restocks ordered means that it is in production and shipping to distributers or does it mean something else?  I know better than to ask for dates but knowing roughly where in the process the item is can help my players be less concerned.
Thanks!

It means that they've been ordered. They may be in production, we don't know where the order fit in the queue. It's probably, at minimum, 2 1/2 months from hitting the warehouse, if not longer.
Catalyst Demo Agent #221, Huntington, WV

It's times like this I ask myself "What would Jabba the Hutt do?"

BloodRose

• Sergeant
TL;DR Catalysts team vastly underestimated the demand - which is both a good and a bad thing!
>MOC - 3rd Canopian Fusiliers         >Capellan Confederation - Holdfast Guard
>Lyrians - 5th Donegal Guard          >Free Worlds League - 1st Oriente Hussars
>Federated Suns - 2nd NAIS           >Word of Blake/Comstar - undecided unit
>Draconis Combine - 1st Genyosha  >Clan Jade Falcon - Delta Galaxy
>Escorpion Imperio - Seeker Cluster >Pirates - Harlocks Marauders
>Mercs - Roses Heavy Lancers          >Mercs - Reinhold's Raiders
>Mercs/specops - Mausers Shreckenkorps >Mercs - Idol Squadron

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
There’s also the small matter of printing what they could afford to print. It doesn’t matter how high you project demand if you’ve only got enough in the bank to pay for half of that up front

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Geont

• Master Sergeant
I don't think they underestimated demand. I think that they based numbers on demand of lance packs/previous intro box. They had probably taken into account a lower number of minis and return to paper maps that weren't mostly well received. Big unknown were new sculpts although these were mostly well received. Also the plan to do continual prints of these boxed probably played a role in decision making.

I am stopping today at my FLGS to get GoAC box after a long wait. I know that one shop in my country (Czech Republic) has now 30 pieces of GOaC box in stock. I am still amazed by how big stock they have given how small country we are (even when adding a friendly neighbour country of Slovak republic we are a pretty small market).
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
I've given up waiting with enthusiasm for my store to get it and spent my money elsewhere. When it comes, it comes, and I'll consider getting it then. The excitement  has turned sour for our group as we keep hearing we have to wait while others boast about buying up every copy they can find. A guy on another forum was laughing about buying all 6 copies his store got while 2 other people came in looking for it...
CGL is doing no one any favors with this trickle-release scheme...
Sorry to sound salty, but I AM...

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
I've given up waiting with enthusiasm for my store to get it and spent my money elsewhere. When it comes, it comes, and I'll consider getting it then. The excitement  has turned sour for our group as we keep hearing we have to wait while others boast about buying up every copy they can find. A guy on another forum was laughing about buying all 6 copies his store got while 2 other people came in looking for it...
CGL is doing no one any favors with this trickle-release scheme...
Sorry to sound salty, but I AM...

Again . . . that is your DISTRIBUTOR . . . NOT CGL.  CGL sells a couple thousand boxes to the distributor who then decides how to divide up the order among the stores that are requesting copies.  And as someone who worked in a store that took special orders & pre-orders . . . pssss, not everyone picks up what they 'want' due to various reasons.  As was mentioned further up in the thread, CGL themselves still has some stock they are selling direct from the CGL Store . . . the pros & cons of that have and can be discussed but its not like CGL held back from the distributors.

If you had it pre-ordered and your store put boxes on the shelf rather than meeting your pre-order, that is between you and the store- CGL had nothing to do with their decision to ignore your pre-order request.

We also know that for whatever reason the GoAC box did not trip the triggers the Intro box did to get more re-ordered earlier.  CGL & TPTB went to a different order model/cycle for the two new boxes in a effort to maintain the box to meet demands rather than how they did it before.  Put together the box, print a run, and move on to another project . . . come back 2 years (or more) later and redo the whole project.

I did not put in a pre-order with my store.  I also did not buy one of the boxes when it was on the shelf b/c it did not fit the budget . . . now that it does, I have to wait.  Might be a bit impatiently, but that is not the stores fault or CGL.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
Again . . . that is your DISTRIBUTOR . . .

This, Alliance had no problem making sure other games stores in St. Louis, MO had GoAC boxes but my neighborhood game store is still on the waiting list.   
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
We also know that for whatever reason the GoAC box did not trip the triggers the Intro box did to get more re-ordered earlier.  CGL & TPTB went to a different order model/cycle for the two new boxes in a effort to maintain the box to meet demands rather than how they did it before.  Put together the box, print a run, and move on to another project . . . come back 2 years (or more) later and redo the whole project.

From what Cubby and Bosefius said elsewhere, I believe the sales speed of the intro box is just that much faster, so triggered the reprint earlier and got in line at the overseas printing press.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
Yes, that part I understood . . . but it was more a distribution & stores thing, since the announcement was made IIRC shortly after it was released to shelves . . . did stores order more copies of the Intro box or only the intro box?  My local store did not get the full order of intro box in from what I understand, but I think their order of GoAC was met.  Guess it could be a perception thing for whoever orders for a store- I know when I ordered product for a store I was more likely to go with the smaller sizes or a volume rather than the larger sizes b/c of the price point when I had a budgeted 'X' to spend on each order.

Or to put it simply, the Intro box was reordered on store stocking demands while GoAC may have been reordered on customer purchase.  Both are good signs for BT.
Colt Ward

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
Late to the party, but I FINALLY found a copy of the Beginner Box in the wild.

Really, really great job, guys. Everything about the set just screams quality. The minis are brilliant and the standees are much sturdier than I expected them to be.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Exilyth

• Private
I tried to go and grab a box last week. Didn't go as planned.

Went to FLGS#1: both intro box and GOAC sold out.  :(

Went to FLGS#2: "Oh, the GOAC sold out pretty fast, but for some reason we didn't even get any intro boxes"  :(

Well, at there's some interest in CBT in my region.  :)
"Wife, in honor of our marriage, in addition to this morsel I give you a vast prize. My love, I give you the Capellan Confederation!" - Hanse Davion to Melissa Steiner-Davion at their wedding reception, sparking the Fourth Succession War, August 20, 3028

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
It looks like the beginner box set is back in stock at both local game shops in Grand Forks ND.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
We had one of our twice monthly games last night, 4 Beginner boxes were on the shelves . . . and I think a total of 3 walked out.  I had seen both boxes when others bought them but this was the first I had picked up yet.  I think it firmly establishes the Wolverine as 2nd in my collection (unseen -6R, -8K, -7H, -3R, -6M, and now classic -6R) and the Shad looked good up against the IWM one released last year.  The cardboard for the stand ups and pop out terrain were great & feel resilient.

I also think the positioning of the fiction in the box was a great touch- seen right under the mechs.
Colt Ward

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
New stock of Game of Armoured Combat spotted in Dublin, so it's getting back into distribution from Asmodee too.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

BerserkMech

• Private
Does anyone know how many copies for each box set were made in the first print run?
Mechwarrior, show'em what you've bought!

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
Does anyone know how many copies for each box set were made in the first print run?

We have not released that data, and likely would not.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
We have not released that data, and likely would not.

Too bad.  Many companies do these days.  On the wargaming side, GMT, Revolution Games, Legion Wargames, even MMP(!) share their print runs numbers.  As a fan of the hobby, it's quite interesting.  It also keeps us informed on what hurdles companies faces these days and how things compare when stuff is made in china vs made locally.  It makes companies look more "human", I think.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
True, but it also draws a metric ton of less than helpful criticism from those who aren't in the business.  I think their decision to not release it is completely reasonable.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
Total print run numbers are largely meaningless without knowledge of how they’re distributed

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

kinwolf

• Master Sergeant
That's not what I've seen happen with those companies I listed. But indeed they can do whatever they want to do, it's one of the perks of running things.
« Last Edit: 13 April 2019, 13:16:46 by kinwolf »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Stick around here a while and I think you'll see what I mean...

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
And to be clear, I should have put air quotes around “we” there. I generally have been told not to make those figures public. But I’m not management. Those who are could put them out tomorrow. The “likely not” is because based on prior experience, I doubt they would.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile