Author Topic: Gun Geekery VI: The grandson of Gun Geekery  (Read 183741 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
Re: Gun Geekery VI: The grandson of Gun Geekery
« Reply #1230 on: 09 January 2019, 18:50:34 »
Probably a squib load, they'll do that.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1231 on: 09 January 2019, 21:19:23 »
Finally made it to the range with new PPQ.  Its not the one ragged hole at 25 yrds that came with the proof target.  But not too bad at 11 yards, standing, with a new gun.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1232 on: 09 January 2019, 23:02:05 »
Probably a squib load, they'll do that.
As i understand it a squib is a misfire essentially.

So a stuck round will blow out the receiver on the second round most likely i would think.  This seems worse. ???
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1233 on: 09 January 2019, 23:06:07 »
For pistols a squib will blow out the receiver and blow the magazine into your foot.  For rifles what happens is that bolt usually locks up and causes all that pressure to try and escape out the barrel.  hence the reason why the barrel usually looks like some sort of flower sculpture when its over.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1234 on: 09 January 2019, 23:47:49 »
The gun shown is a bolt-action which means that the system stays sealed until it's manually opened, or until all of the bolt-lugs shear off sending the bolt flying.  The barrel would fail first, in such a situation, as happened here.

CrossfirePilot

• Captain
« Reply #1235 on: 10 January 2019, 23:50:56 »
A final issue that could have blown the barrel would be accidently loading pistol powder into the rifle case.  I have read of one incident where someone bought some remanufactured rifle loads and they remanufacturer neglected to drain the powder funnel after doing pistol reloads prior to starting the rifle loads.

Corky

• Private
« Reply #1236 on: 12 January 2019, 08:39:55 »
If I recall correctly that one guy had in issue with a case sticking and extraction issues. High pressure mil surp rounds combined with "match" 50 cal chamber and extractor not doing its job. Guy was smart enough to tap it out with a leaning rod but not smart enough to take it out.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1237 on: 12 January 2019, 11:35:57 »
If I recall correctly that one guy had in issue with a case sticking and extraction issues.
Pressure maxes on .50 BMG are around 60,000psi, and it's a big round - ballparking 0.35 inches interior radius and 3 inches in interior length, that's 7+ inches of surface area at that pressure.  And if he's getting it to the point it's fire-forming to the chamber hard enough to stick...

...Yikes.  Not a lot of difference between an overpressured .50 and a small pipe bomb at that point.

Corky

• Private
« Reply #1238 on: 14 January 2019, 09:51:20 »
Yep, in situations like these vent holes and blow out plugs save lives.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1239 on: 11 February 2019, 16:42:15 »
Just got my hands on a Marcolmar CETME L.  It is a thing of beauty.   :drool:
"Kiss my hairy ass Falcon,"  Star Colonel Onyx,  17th Wolf Regulars Cluster, Clan Wolf  Wars of Reaving.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #1240 on: 21 February 2020, 00:15:04 »
Recent video on YouTube on Forgotten Weapons channel tells about controversy behind G36 heating up and becoming inaccurate. One comment sums it up this:
"Rifles get less accurate when they get hot."
"In other news, water is wet."
Video title is The Truth Behind the Great G36 Controversy. It is loaded with rule #4 related things, so I refrain from direct link. If moderator feels it isn't too much so, then please post the link.

The rifle:

You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #1241 on: 21 February 2020, 01:02:16 »
Anyone else have one of the Heritage .22 replica six shooters?

My wife gave me the go-ahead before Christmas (surprise, I was going to wait for the next Black Friday sale) and it was pretty accurate on the iron sights and fun to shoot.  Never fired a revolver before so it was a different experience.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1242 on: 21 February 2020, 10:22:32 »
Starting to shop for a precision rifle, something in the RPR or Savage 10BA Stealth neighborhood. I'm split between 5.56mm and 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm just target shooting at a range, so I don't need a lot of energy on target, and my range is only 200 yards, so I don't need .308. 

Any thoughts on platform and/or cartridge?
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1243 on: 21 February 2020, 18:11:04 »
Starting to shop for a precision rifle, something in the RPR or Savage 10BA Stealth neighborhood. I'm split between 5.56mm and 6.5 Creedmoor. I'm just target shooting at a range, so I don't need a lot of energy on target, and my range is only 200 yards, so I don't need .308. 

Any thoughts on platform and/or cartridge?
Out of the box Bergara and Tikka are supposed to be pretty good.  6.5 Creedmoor is capable of more than a .308.  I don't think it is as common yet as .308.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
« Reply #1244 on: 21 February 2020, 18:19:17 »
Cartridgewise you'll probably do a lot better in 5.56.  There's a LOT of AR users in matches, so it stands to reason there'd be plenty of match grade ammo for it either from the manufacturer or components to roll your own.  Ubiquitous round, plenty of support.  That'd be my suggestion, especially if you reload; you'd have plenty of options to tune your choice to compared to a wildcat.

Ghost0402

• Lieutenant
« Reply #1245 on: 22 February 2020, 14:50:18 »
Cartridgewise you'll probably do a lot better in 5.56.  There's a LOT of AR users in matches, so it stands to reason there'd be plenty of match grade ammo for it either from the manufacturer or components to roll your own.  Ubiquitous round, plenty of support.  That'd be my suggestion, especially if you reload; you'd have plenty of options to tune your choice to compared to a wildcat.
There are tons of match grade from 69-77 grain, foreign and domestic.  Most of it is readily available on the internet for half the price most gun stores charge.

DOC_Agren

• Major
« Reply #1246 on: 01 March 2020, 04:45:31 »
Anyone else have one of the Heritage .22 replica six shooters?

My wife gave me the go-ahead before Christmas (surprise, I was going to wait for the next Black Friday sale) and it was pretty accurate on the iron sights and fun to shoot.  Never fired a revolver before so it was a different experience.
I don't own one, but I have fired .22 revolvers before and they are fun
"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast, And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill, And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1247 on: 06 March 2020, 14:11:35 »
Its the first revolver I have ever actually messed with so its a new experience.  I was surprised by how accurate it was with stock iron sights . . . though when I tried firing from the waist like Westerns- well the first shot hit the dirt about 8 feet in front of me.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1248 on: 06 March 2020, 14:17:12 »
Its the first revolver I have ever actually messed with so its a new experience.  I was surprised by how accurate it was with stock iron sights . . . though when I tried firing from the waist like Westerns- well the first shot hit the dirt about 8 feet in front of me.
Yeah, I learned that one with CO2 pistols as a kid. :-)
I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1249 on: 02 April 2020, 08:19:26 »
I have a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II 3-9x40 BDC 150, and I'm in the market for a sun shade, but Nikon has discontinued theirs. How might I go about determining what other brands use the same threads as Nikon?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1250 on: 02 April 2020, 10:30:41 »
Yeah, I learned that one with CO2 pistols as a kid. :-)

I meant putting my hand sideways over the hammer to go to rapid fire.
Colt Ward

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #1251 on: 02 April 2020, 13:08:35 »
I have a Nikon Prostaff Rimfire II 3-9x40 BDC 150, and I'm in the market for a sun shade, but Nikon has discontinued theirs. How might I go about determining what other brands use the same threads as Nikon?

Nikon exited the firearms scope market entirely

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #1252 on: 02 April 2020, 13:30:32 »
I am wondering if you could find a 3D printed part.
Colt Ward

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #1253 on: 02 April 2020, 15:53:56 »
I am wondering if you could find a 3D printed part.
I could make one if I had to. Heck, I could turn one out of aluminum(once the world is open for business again), if I knew the threads

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #1254 on: 02 April 2020, 23:35:52 »
I could make one if I had to. Heck, I could turn one out of aluminum(once the world is open for business again), if I knew the threads

write to Nikon maybe?  I know it sounds stupid, but sometimes those companies are happy to share information to people who bother to ask, especially for discontinued items and products.  If you document your efforts and use something like the Kindle-self-publishing software you might even get additional help for free in exchange for the free advertising.

« Last Edit: 02 April 2020, 23:38:28 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1255 on: 18 July 2020, 13:48:30 »
Hunting season approaches, did my yearly proficiency test. (All big game hunters in Norway must pass a proficiency test each year, and have at least 30 registered training rounds).
Shooting a reindeer figure at 100meters, all 5 shots have to be within a 30cm area.

I pulled one shot to the right, from a prone position without any aids.

Going on reindeer hunting in the end of august.
« Last Edit: 18 July 2020, 14:45:20 by Øystein »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #1256 on: 18 July 2020, 14:37:34 »
Does the red mean you put two rounds in that spot?  ???

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #1257 on: 18 July 2020, 14:44:10 »
Naah, red is just the last shot fired.

nerd

• Captain
  • Nunc Partus-Ready Now
    • Traveller Adventures
« Reply #1258 on: 18 July 2020, 15:07:41 »
So, I'm looking at getting an airgun for home plinking. Any brands people recommend?
M. T. Thompson
Don of the Starslayer Mafia
Member of the AFFS High Command

chanman

• Major
  • Architect of suffering
« Reply #1259 on: 18 July 2020, 17:22:13 »
So, I'm looking at getting an airgun for home plinking. Any brands people recommend?

If you can afford it, Weihrauch. I have the HW75 and HW45 air pistols, and they're amazing. Pretty loud though. I recommend ear pro, especially indoors. Some of their models are also sold under the Beeman name.