Author Topic: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz  (Read 157701 times)

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
Re: What movies are we watching: B-Movie Blitz
« Reply #870 on: 29 December 2018, 08:06:02 »
Going classic with the Battle of Midway.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #871 on: 29 December 2018, 14:18:55 »

The Cybertron scenes were great, and had a neat mix of comic feel and cinematic detail, as well as form and even voice accurate parts.  Worth watching for that alone.

Definately worth seeing.

Just got back from it...decent flick but I wished they had done more on Cybertron...also, I thought Wheeljack was supposed to be in it, but I didn't see him...

Still so worth it if only to see and hear "Ravage...Eject!"

Edit: and I must also say that Aquaman was well worth seeing on the big screen as well...not sure how well it will translate to the small screen in some of the scenes...

Ruger
« Last Edit: 30 December 2018, 14:31:51 by Ruger »
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #872 on: 02 January 2019, 21:47:38 »
Watching Contact with my dad tonight.
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #873 on: 02 January 2019, 23:15:37 »
There was a movie that missed the point of the book.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Pimpin' Mopar Goodness since the Dawn of Time
« Reply #874 on: 04 January 2019, 22:53:30 »
Kentucky Fried Movie

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #875 on: 06 January 2019, 07:47:22 »
I must be on a John Wayne kick. Yesterday I watched Operation Pacific and Flying Leathernecks while painting minis.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #876 on: 06 January 2019, 14:38:43 »
Bull Durham

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #877 on: 06 January 2019, 17:29:26 »
I have been pretty sick for the past week or so. I drank lots of tea, took lots of nyquil, and must have watched The Last Starfighter 5 or 6 times.... 😂

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #878 on: 06 January 2019, 17:39:51 »
You may be taking too much NyQuil.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Kidd

• Major
« Reply #879 on: 06 January 2019, 19:20:11 »
I have been pretty sick for the past week or so. I drank lots of tea, took lots of nyquil, and must have watched The Last Starfighter 5 or 6 times.... 😂
that's some sickness you got. even in the utter pits of maudlin nostalgia I haven't watched Last Starfighter more than twice in a year.

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #880 on: 06 January 2019, 22:12:52 »
that's some sickness you got. even in the utter pits of maudlin nostalgia I haven't watched Last Starfighter more than twice in a year.

Too lazy to take it out of the xbox and kept falling asleep during it. Only watched the whole way through once.  ;)

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #881 on: 07 January 2019, 03:14:07 »

For me, it's maybe 2-3 times in the past 6 years.
It's not who you kill, but how they die!
You can't shoot what you can't see.
You can not dodge it if you don't know it's coming.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #882 on: 07 January 2019, 08:49:23 »
Clock in the Wall with Jack Black in it.  Family "scary" magic movie set in the 1950s.  It was enjoyable and funny.
Not sure if they will continue it into a series, but this movie is fun never the less.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #883 on: 07 January 2019, 15:48:29 »
Clock in the Wall with Jack Black in it.  Family "scary" magic movie set in the 1950s.  It was enjoyable and funny.
Not sure if they will continue it into a series, but this movie is fun never the less.

I was laughing like crazy at the banter back and forth between Black's character and Blanchette's one..
Also did you get a feeling that maybe that little black girl, who seemed to wanna become friends with the kid hero of the story, MAY have been the love child of Izzy and that shape shifting gal??

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #884 on: 07 January 2019, 20:05:59 »

I'll have to se if they have this on the plane on my next business trip.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #885 on: 13 January 2019, 04:37:06 »
I watched The Stand tonight.  Well, the second half of it, having watched the first half last night.

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

MoparMessiah

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #886 on: 14 January 2019, 22:12:29 »
The Badlanders - old school western

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #887 on: 15 January 2019, 06:46:08 »
I watched The Stand tonight.  Well, the second half of it, having watched the first half last night.

Perhaps the most faithful rendition of a King novel I've seen. I really enjoyed The Stand, even if it is long and drawn out.

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #888 on: 15 January 2019, 11:56:48 »
Perhaps the most faithful rendition of a King novel I've seen. I really enjoyed The Stand, even if it is long and drawn out.
Not unlike the source material. 

The only problem I had with TV adaptation of The Stand was Molly Ringwald as Frannie.  I am an 80's kid with a big weakness for red heads, so I had the prerequisite crush on her, but she was really miscast.  The rest of the cast is pretty solid, and Jamey Sheridan was perfect as Flagg.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #889 on: 16 January 2019, 06:52:16 »
After reading most of the Dark Tower series, I have a new appreciation for Flagg as the Ageless Stranger or Maerlyn...

Banzai

• Major
  • Team Banzai visits Jurassic Park.
« Reply #890 on: 17 January 2019, 13:06:56 »
Flagg in The Stand was, for me, a much more frightening and interesting character than most of the iterations in The Dark Tower books, though I think The Covenant Man in Wind Through the Keyhole hit most of the right notes in a low-key song.

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #891 on: 17 January 2019, 23:29:07 »
Watched Serenity last night as I was painting some minis.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Nightlord01

• Lieutenant
« Reply #892 on: 18 January 2019, 02:26:45 »
Flagg in The Stand was, for me, a much more frightening and interesting character than most of the iterations in The Dark Tower books, though I think The Covenant Man in Wind Through the Keyhole hit most of the right notes in a low-key song.

Flagg was downright alarming in The Stand, such a charming and charismatic character in public, but an absolute monster either way. His ability to bring out the worst in people was impressive.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #893 on: 18 January 2019, 03:06:26 »
The first time Tick-Tock Man thinks "my life for you", it raised hairs on the back of my neck.  That familiar slavish bit of devotion recalled Flagg to me perfectly.  That's the shame of the Dark Tower movie.   Not enough time to tell the full story. 

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #894 on: 29 January 2019, 10:57:06 »
Bohemian Rhapsody- I prefer to watch drama movies at home so I waited until it came out on streaming. Rami Malek is pretty good as Freddy Mercury, but the teeth issue is overly exaggerated, imo. The movie is uneven, with some scenes not really coming together and it rather sanitizes many key aspects of Mercury's life, but in the end, the good outweighs the bad since the music portions are very good. 7/10

Widows- about a group of women who team up on a heist after their criminal husbands die in a shootout with the cops. Although the premise is good, I thought the whole thing felt contrived, and it had the obligatory Hollywood ending. Also, the twist at the end was pretty predictable, I guessed about 70% of it right. 5/10

The Sisters Brothers
- Western about two brothers who are bounty hunters, and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it is. Joaquin Phioenix, John C Reilly, and Jake Gyllenhall are all good in it. I was expecting it to be somewhat of a parody, but it was played straight- way better than The Ballad of Buster Scruggs. Unpredictable plot and somewhat unexpected ending too. 7.5/10

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #895 on: 29 January 2019, 11:46:39 »
Iron Eagle  and Iron Eagle II.

Say what you want about Iron Eagle. They made 4 movies of the Iron Eagle series....only 1 Top Gun!!!

Ruger

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
« Reply #896 on: 29 January 2019, 12:06:12 »
Iron Eagle  and Iron Eagle II.

Say what you want about Iron Eagle. They made 4 movies of the Iron Eagle series....only 1 Top Gun!!!

Four Iron Eagles and only 1.5 to 2 that I really liked...

And aren't they working on a Top Gun sequel?

Ruger
"If someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back." - Malcolm Reynolds, Firefly

"Who I am is where I stand. Where I stand is where I fall...Stand with me." - The Doctor, The Doctor Falls, Doctor Who

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #897 on: 29 January 2019, 13:25:34 »

Ruger

Yes they are doing a Top Gun Sequel. It will have Tom Cruise and Star FA-18s not F-35s.

garhkal

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #898 on: 29 January 2019, 14:13:47 »

Ruger

I only ever "LIKED" the first.  the rest were just barely OK..

Foxx Ital

• Captain
  • Still Clanilicious
« Reply #899 on: 30 January 2019, 00:19:17 »
Second one wasn't bad,but I was a kid when I watched it.
Clan Ghost Bear:  We may not like you, but you're not bothering us, so you may exist.
 If your BA tactics can't be described as shenanigans, you're probably doing it wrong. ^-^ -Weirdo
 <Kojak> Yeah, there's definitely a learning curve with BA, But once you learn how to use 'em well they're addictive,heck, just look at what happened to Foxx ;-)
<Steve_Restless> its YOU who I shouldn't underestimate. I could give you a broom handle and I'd find you sitting on top of the enemy stormcrow, smug surat grin on your face