Author Topic: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition  (Read 163524 times)

iamfanboy

• Captain
Re: The Anime M@sterthread - Platinum is a Full Metal Panic Edition
« Reply #60 on: 08 June 2018, 15:08:01 »
Yep, Love Hina is another one like that! At the time, it revolutionized & re-popularized shonen love comedies, but now everything in it has been done to death, to the point that even though I loved it I struggle to enjoy watching it now. It felt REALLY stale on my last rewatch, but damn if it wasn't hilarious & innovative when it came out.....
....And that's ANOTHER one that I thought was stale and boring when I first watched it, too. Maybe I was more jaded to anime than you were at the time?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #61 on: 08 June 2018, 16:32:40 »
....And that's ANOTHER one that I thought was stale and boring when I first watched it, too. Maybe I was more jaded to anime than you were at the time?

Possibly, although I know I have a perculiar ability to enjoy nearly infinite repetitions of essentially the same experience with minor variations. I think the reason my love for Love Hina has faded somewhat is that my enjoyment of fiction is almost wholly character based, & much of the anime experience was focused on comedic & artistic visual spectacle. The quieter character moments still get me, but Keitaro as pinball just isn't that funny anymore.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #62 on: 09 June 2018, 07:49:03 »
*snicker* pinball boy *snicker*

My only issue with Love Hina is how dated it is on modern Tvs/monitors. Makes it.... hard to watch. I loved Record of Lodoss War but last few times I tried to watch it.... eewwww. I would probably have the same issue if I broke out my old VHS tapes of Dirty Pair, Starblazers, Heroic Legend of Arslan, or even Roujin Z.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #63 on: 09 June 2018, 08:05:43 »
I guess it feels dated only because way they approach things and how society is now.

Look at the Crusher Joe stuff. It's animation was state of the art when it came out. Yet it's depends who watching it.  I recently watch (arguably Hong Kong version) of Super Fortress Macross (it's name they used, not Clash of Bionoids or Macross Do you remember love?).  Its old but damn its action pack fun watch.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #64 on: 09 June 2018, 09:46:37 »
I was referring more to how dated the video quality is. Even changing a monitor to lower resolution only does so much... Tvs are a bit easier, but modern tvs sure don't like it either lol

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #65 on: 09 June 2018, 10:03:24 »
I was referring more to how dated the video quality is. Even changing a monitor to lower resolution only does so much... Tvs are a bit easier, but modern tvs sure don't like it either lol

If you don't have a Blu-Ray player that actively filters low-end video from.source DVDs, yeah, that can look awful, & don't even think about putting VHS on an HD TV........there's a reason BD remasters are a thing!

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #66 on: 09 June 2018, 10:15:41 »
You can only spend your hobby budget so many times...  xp

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #68 on: 09 June 2018, 11:55:14 »
Funimation has Lodoss and it still looks like crap, so not every streaming service is going to have remastered video. And it sucks... I try and watch a favorite 30 yo anime and end up frustrated cuz of how dated the quality and don't have access to anything higher quality.

But anyway, what does everyone think of No Game No Life as an isekai?

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #69 on: 09 June 2018, 12:15:17 »
Funimation has Lodoss and it still looks like crap, so not every streaming service is going to have remastered video. And it sucks... I try and watch a favorite 30 yo anime and end up frustrated cuz of how dated the quality and don't have access to anything higher quality.

Your best bet is to get a player that adequately filters the video rather than try to re-buy all the disks. It's cheaper & a lot of those things won't even get upscale releases. I recommend a high-end Sony player if you can get it. Playstation 4 actually does a pretty good job.

Really couldn't stand the main characters after the first two episodes so I dropped it. There's only so much wallowing in your dislike of reality's basic responsibilities I can tolerate. LN artist plagiarized Kantoku too, which shows he has good taste but doesn't earn any respect from me either.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #70 on: 09 June 2018, 12:19:21 »
I have just recently (day or 2 ago) watched couple videos on YouTube where is explained why CRT TV/monitor is the best companion for an old game console. I guess same goes for old anime? I'm not too picky about it though, and I enjoy playing Mega Drive games on my PC & HD monitor. But with anime, interlacing is a bitch. What deinterlacing feature do you recommend to be used with VLC Media Player? I started watching Maria Holic just recently (DVD version, and I'm playing it from disc image instead from disc itself)

[edit]
I also have PowerDVD 10 & 14
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #71 on: 09 June 2018, 13:07:21 »

It has some of the most unlikable protagonists I've ever seen.

And I'll second MadCapellan's recommendation about using a PS4 or other Sony Blue Ray player for older DVDs.

But I think that there's only so much that can be done for Record of Lodoss War- my memories of it were that it didn't look good back in the day.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Dies Irae

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #72 on: 09 June 2018, 19:38:56 »
Darling in the FranXX Ep 20:

I was successfully tricked into watching Gurren Lagann again...

I'm sort of fine with that.

Ghostbear_Gurdel

• Lieutenant
  • Live by the Sword...
« Reply #73 on: 09 June 2018, 20:11:31 »
Darling in the FranXX Ep 20:

I was successfully tricked into watching Gurren Lagann again...

I'm sort of fine with that.
i feel like hes not wrong.....

Re: FMP:IV: Damn Souske, that was one hell of a roaring rampage of revenge, but i feel you're starting to get a little too aggressive, you're making more and bigger mistakes the longer this goes on. this seems like an unhealthy path you walk.
"The real question is, just how badly do you want to pound your opponent?  You can do things to your opponent with an ASF that are illegal in 39 states and 14 countries, and that's without even trying hard." - Paladin1
Member No. 3 of the JM6 haters club

VhenRa

• Captain
« Reply #74 on: 11 June 2018, 01:16:49 »
i feel like hes not wrong.....

Re: FMP:IV: Damn Souske, that was one hell of a roaring rampage 1of revenge, but i feel you're starting to get a little too aggressive, you're making more and bigger mistakes the longer this goes on. this seems like an unhealthy path you walk.

When you set out on a path of revenge, dig two graves.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #75 on: 12 June 2018, 12:36:42 »
Was some discussion about isekai genre. I have seen some of it.

Magic Knight: Rayearth
Seen anime on TV and on anime club. 3 high school girls from different schools are summoned to fantasy world to fight against some evil dude and his minions. This is clearly aimed for the children and therefore wasn't really enjoyable for me.

The familiar of Zero
I've got all anime seasons on DVDs. Female lead is magic school student from bottom of the barrel. Her attempt to summon a familiar gets her a NEET from Japan. Heavy on comedy, romance with some kissing, and abuse against male lead, series has some good characters and character development. Also bunch of stuff that don't make much of sense: one student blows a whistle, bunch of knights crash through the doors and windows, some kind of trial is being held against one of the students, and teachers & rest of the school staff are nowhere to be seen nor has their absence ever been explained. What the Hell?

Konosuba
Translated light novels and manga are available at least for Kindle and Apple's iBook software, anime is at least on Crunchyroll. Japanese NEET dies of heart attack and goddess of water ask him to go to fantasy world to fight demon king, along with 1 thing of NEET's choice. He choose goddess herself. Unfortunately, goddess don't have much in the way of knowledge, skills, nor fighting ability aside holy attacks against undead. 2 other misfits join them: wizard, who can cast 1 powerful explosion in day and nothing more, and crusader, who can endure punishment better than her plate armour, but can't hit broadside of the barn. "My party can't be this dysfunctional". Despite being surrounded by beautiful girls, male lead don't seem to have romantical interest for anyone, though light novel #5 brings some development on that front. Anime is decent adaptation which puts more emphasis on scenes that light novels skim over but also make some cuts, and manga only makes cuts without adding anything new.

Re:ZERO -Starting Life in Another World-
I have watched anime on Crunchyroll. Japanese guy (again) suddenly finds himself inside of unfamiliar city in fantasy world. He thinks he knows something about isekai genre, but I have a feeling he don't know about The familiar of Zero and Konosuba. And soon enough things go worse for him than either for Saito or for Kazuma: he dies. Surprise: he ends up going back in time being alive, and looking for ways to survive through incoming disaster after disaster. Heavy on angst and PTSD, but this time there are good justifications for that: dying horribly and repeatedly has to suck big time. And he sucks it up and moves on. Along the way he meets girls and there is some romance going on.

GATE: Where the JSDF Fought
That is the official translation of the manga, and I've got it. First volume at least, and I'm wondering why more hasn't come by now. Stargate (of sort) appears in middle of Tokyo and fantasy army comes through of it. JSDF curb-stomps it and goes through the gate. Main character is lieutenant otaku commanding a recon squad. As he and his squad do reconnaissance, they come across with elfs, dwarfs (looks like anyway), dragons, cat girls, bunny girls, mages, immortal demigoddess loli... Yeah. But there is a war going on, and war is Hell. And bloody, even without colours. And rape. And bathing. Manga has a good number of pages that goes against the forum rules. Anime is available on Cruncyroll and HIDIVE, and it cut & censor whole lot. Lieutenant gets close with some of the fantasy girls, but he don't have romantic interest for anyone and stonewalls any advances the girls make towards him.

[New Life+] Young Again in Another World
Light novels, translations available at least for Kindle. Why did I even bought this? Oh, right, this:
"He was, therefore, understandably upset when he woke up again in an empty space, devoid of memories, with a young girl in a tunic rambling on and on about how she’s God. So, he did what any reasonable person would have done under those circumstances: he sent the girl flying with a kick to the face."

Isekai story about reasonable guy who don't take crap from a girl? Yes please! It turns out to be a mismash of comedy, parody, and some serious action. Guy ends up saving 2 girls from being raped and thus they start adventuring together. With God's blessings and experiences from his previous life under his subconsciousness, guy kicks serious ass and saves his party time and again. But despite being flanked by 2 beauties, he don't have any romantic interest for either and stonewalls their advances. Repeatedly and desperately holding on to his chastity.

Mushoku Tensei: Jobless Reincarnation
I have bought some manga volumes of this. Adult Japanese NEET gets overrun by a truck and is reborn in fantasy world. Remembering his past miserable life, he decides to do better this time around. He has talent for magic, and his parents hire a pretty demon instructor to educate him. Largely slice-of-life with some romance and action, this is pretty much average in isekai genre.

Death March to the Parallel World Rhapsody
Anime is available at least on Crunchyroll. Japanese game developer falls asleep under his workdesk and ends up dreaming (?) of being inside the RPG he is working on. Soon enough he is surrounded by enemies and he ends up using limited mega über attack he had coded in the game the day before. As a result of hundreds of kills, he ends up with a large amount of experience points which makes him totally overpowered game character. Because he don't feel like conquering the world, he introduces himself as traveling merchant. He also ends up with whole bunch of pretty slaves, and one of them is reincarnated Japanese. All his slaves are eager to serve their master, but instead he makes visits to brothels. HAIL TO THE KING, BABY!

Re:Monster
Originally light novel (or Web novel, whatever), I've got couple manga volumes in English. Man dies and is reborn as a goblin. However he inherited some supernatural powers from his past life he already had back then. Along with his superior human knowledge, he becomes top-goblin soon enough and leader of the tribe. With his new-found authority, he liberates captured human women from his tribe and they become his willing lovers. Spoilers tell he will have children. HAIL TO THE KING, BABY!

How a realist hero rebuilt the kingdom
Translated light novels are available for Kindle and I have read them all, short of the newest one. Japanese university student is summoned to fantasy world under attack of a demon king. Human king calls him a hero, ask for his help, and why would a hero from Japan refuse? Even though kingdom in question isn't in direct confrontation against demon lord and his minions, economy is in shambles, king's authority is undermined by corruption, and pressure from surrounding nations just keeps building up. Japanese hero has proper education for many of the problems, and therefore king declares the hero as his successor and betrothal to the princess, effective immediately. Jaws hit the floor. On top of that, princess tells the hero king to take more wives calling it a king's duty. Very unique take on isekai genre. King even kiss the princess, embrace his entire harem, and ... HAIL TO THE KING, BABY!

Aah, that took some time to type.
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Istal_Devalis

• Major
  • Baka! I didnt change my avatar because I like you!
« Reply #76 on: 13 June 2018, 10:14:20 »
[New Life+] Young Again in Another World
Light novels, translations available at least for Kindle. Why did I even bought this? Oh, right, this:
"He was, therefore, understandably upset when he woke up again in an empty space, devoid of memories, with a young girl in a tunic rambling on and on about how she’s God. So, he did what any reasonable person would have done under those circumstances: he sent the girl flying with a kick to the face."

Isekai story about reasonable guy who don't take crap from a girl?
Notable for its anime being cancelled, because the author was so racist/nationalist that the actresses quit and no one else wanted to touch it. The LN's soon followed.

And reasonable guys dont kick people in the face for the crime of being annoying.

Re:Monster
Originally light novel (or Web novel, whatever), I've got couple manga volumes in English. Man dies and is reborn as a goblin. However he inherited some supernatural powers from his past life he already had back then. Along with his superior human knowledge, he becomes top-goblin soon enough and leader of the tribe. With his new-found authority, he liberates captured human women from his tribe and they become his willing lovers. Spoilers tell he will have children. HAIL TO THE KING, BABY!
I tried reading that one. The power fantasy was one of the worse I ever saw. He was a super powered human before he dies and reincarnated, and then he got even worse. Never mind how unrealistic the woman situation was (Liberates. Right.). And then THAT got worse, too. I stopped once they got to the 'We're going to feed the elves aphrodisiac' point, and they essentially justified it as not rape because 'they did so willingly'. 

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #77 on: 13 June 2018, 10:35:04 »
Notable for its anime being cancelled, because the author was so racist/nationalist that the actresses quit and no one else wanted to touch it. The LN's soon followed.
Really? Wasn't it about years old tweets saying that the protagonist may or is one of the soldiers in China, possibly involving Nanking?
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #78 on: 13 June 2018, 10:48:02 »

I really struck me reading about the anime being green-lit & then summarily cancelled that most of the sponsors on production committees must never read this stuff & it's all approved on the good word of the publisher. I hope Hobby Japan doesn't find itself ostracized from the industry over this.

I tried reading that one. The power fantasy was one of the worse I ever saw.

It's pretty amazing that you can make a living as an author in Japan taking the plot from generic fantasy porn manga & removing the graphic content!  ;D I still don't know how products like that even sell.....

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #79 on: 13 June 2018, 10:56:26 »
Really? Wasn't it about years old tweets saying that the protagonist may or is one of the soldiers in China, possibly involving Nanking?

All of the above.

>In the original web novel, protagonist killed 3,000 people in the War in China, & went on to kill 2,000 more (specifically Chinese) after the war. Final print version was somewhat ambiguous.
>Tweets were found by the author from a couple of years back directing racist vitriol at Chinese & Koreans
>When called out, Hobby Japan apologied & indicated it would be further edited out of future reprints
>Voice actresses then pulled out of the anime production
>The author publicly apologied on twitter & promised to delete his twitter once his apology was widely circulated.
>Committee cancelled anime production, possibly because no-one would sign up to act in it.
>Hobby Japan finally announced the entire series was cancelled.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #80 on: 13 June 2018, 11:38:04 »
Yikes.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #81 on: 13 June 2018, 11:57:19 »
One would think that Sengoku period would be a treasure trove for anime. But based on what I have read in few posts above, I can see why anime based on that period are few and far between. Bummer :(

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #82 on: 13 June 2018, 12:06:51 »
Fujoshi love Sengoku. That's generally where all the period action is in anime.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #83 on: 13 June 2018, 12:08:51 »
Fujoshi love Sengoku. That's generally where all the period action is in anime.
Huh? I must have missed something. Is there anything else besides Rurouni Kenshin?

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #84 on: 13 June 2018, 12:33:41 »
Rurouni Kenshin is set in the Meiji period.  The Sengoku period is the Warring States Era, when works like Inuyasha, The Ambition of Oda Nobuna, or Sengoku Basara are set.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #85 on: 13 June 2018, 12:52:38 »
I was definitely thinking stuff like Hakuoki,Token Ranbu, & Sengoku Basara, but I suspect that's not what Matti has in mind.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #86 on: 13 June 2018, 13:03:13 »
He was a super powered human before he dies and reincarnated, and then he got even worse.
Superpowered? More like he was the same as after reincarnation. A cannibal that is.

And if i remember right that the women were "liberated" by him. Not from his tribe, but from another one that he basically took over. Sometime after the human cattle his own tribe held, including his mother, died and were eaten by him...

The Sengoku period is the Warring States Era, when works like Inuyasha, The Ambition of Oda Nobuna, or Sengoku Basara are set.
And about 1-2 anime per season since... the 90s or so... (seriously, just how many Oda Nobunaga anime adaptions are there? 20?)

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #87 on: 13 June 2018, 13:35:14 »
Oh and lets not forget the more bizarre Nobunaga the Fool xp

Weirdo

• Painter of Borth the Magic Puma
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major General
  • We can do it. We have to.
    • Christina Dickinson Writes
« Reply #88 on: 13 June 2018, 13:42:32 »
Okay, I've heard of some weird anime and manga, but what in the actual ******?!? :o
My wife writes books
"Thanks to Megamek, I can finally play BattleTech the way it was meant to be played--pantsless!"   -Neko Bijin
"...finally, giant space panties don't seem so strange." - Whistler
"Damn you, Weirdo... Damn you for being right!" - Paul
"...I was this many years old when I found out that licking a touchscreen in excitement is a bad idea." - JadeHellbringer
"We are the tribal elders. Weirdo is the mushroom specialist." - Worktroll

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #89 on: 13 June 2018, 13:47:28 »
Okay, I've heard of some weird anime and manga, but what in the actual ******?!? :o

Dude, this hole goes so deep not only can you not see the bottom, you probably don't want to! ;D It's a little like Made In Abyss, actually!

Register