Author Topic: NHL 2018-2019, rebuild, retools, and retreads, oh my!  (Read 37686 times)

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
Tavares didn't sign before midnight with the Islanders so that means no 8 year deal if he stays with the Islanders.    Only other real news to report thus far is that James van Riemsdyk appears to be signing with the Flyers.  Folks can start signing at noon EST.
« Last Edit: 30 June 2018, 23:49:55 by Firesprocket »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
Re: NHL 2018-2019, rebuild, retools, and retreads, oh my!
« Reply #1 on: 01 July 2018, 00:28:07 »
Logan Couture signed an 8-year deal worth craploads of money. Too bad he didn't sign this deal a few years back. Sharks overpaid and the contract is too long. Hope they enjoy cap hell in a few years.
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: 01 July 2018, 12:11:33 »
Tsn is now reporting tavares to the leafs.  No terms or money has yet been disclosed.  Stasny signed with the knights.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #3 on: 01 July 2018, 19:14:59 »
And we lose Beagle. Glad to see he is getting a pay raise. I'm just bummed that he is leaving the Caps. Great off ice guy. His face off and PK skills will be missed.

JadeHellbringer

• Easily Bribed Forum Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #4 on: 01 July 2018, 21:42:10 »
And we lose Beagle. Glad to see he is getting a pay raise. I'm just bummed that he is leaving the Caps. Great off ice guy. His face off and PK skills will be missed.

Yeah, once Carlson got signed it didn't look good for getting anything done with anyone else (Smith-Pelley was actually a surprise in that regard), so Beagle had to go. Not sure he's going to be happy out there in rebuild-land, but he got his Cup finally at least. One of the more unsung heroes of the Caps over the past several years, good to see him get recognized in the bank account for it.

Speaking of people wanting to get paid, Anton Khudobin wanted to remain in Boston for $5 million a year to back up Rask, and that's... no, just no. He ended up getting $5 million, but over the course of two years in Dallas- his place on the B's roster is now occupied with an old friend of the Capitals, Jaroslav Halak. Not a big fan of it, but it's not a massive overpayment for a backup at least.

Watching the Leafs against Boston this past playoffs, it felt like they were a player away from really turning the corner and becoming a powerhouse. I figured that needed to be a defenseman. They seem to think differently. That's a huge payout for Tavares- and a team that now can pretty much bank on scoring at will most nights, that will eat opponents alive if they take penalties, and... if we're honest, it's hard to not see them as a frontrunner for the East next year at the very least. I don't know if this was the player they really needed, but a very good offense is a hell of a lot better- and that can only help in the short-term. (Long term, good luck with the cap in a few years...)
"There's a difference between the soldier and his fight,
But the warrior knows the true meaning of his life."
+Larry and his Flask, 'Blood Drunk'+

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

wantec

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
« Reply #5 on: 02 July 2018, 07:48:50 »
Upside of Halak signing in Boston is he gets to watch the Caps raise their cup banner on opening night.

The Leafs now look kind of like some older Caps teams, loads of offense, big name player signed to a huge long contract, and questions on defense. Here's hoping it works just as well in the playoffs for them as it did for those Caps teams.
BEN ROME YOU MAGNIFICENT BASTARD, I READ YOUR BOOK!

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #6 on: 02 July 2018, 08:26:40 »
My biggest surprise: I genuinely figured that after the Islanders made their big pitch to Tavares (in vain, as it turned out), the next team looking to show their dedication to keeping their star player happy by doing... something, ANYTHING at all, would be Ottawa. Nothing huge, but at least show you're looking to make up for what you lost by trading away Hoffman and try to get back on track.

Nothing. Not a peep.

The team claims to have made their offer to Karlsson, so that's nice, but if he wanted out already I can't see how July 1 would have changed his mind. Ditto for Anderson. If those guys were waiting to see if this team was dedicated to rebuilding into a winner again around them, the answer is a thunderous 'meh'.

"You know, basically war is just, like, a bunch of people playing pranks on each other, but at the end they all die."
+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 03 July 2018, 01:41:07 »

Yeah, once Carlson got signed it didn't look good for getting anything done with anyone else (Smith-Pelley was actually a surprise in that regard), so Beagle had to go. Not sure he's going to be happy out there in rebuild-land, but he got his Cup finally at least. One of the more unsung heroes of the Caps over the past several years, good to see him get recognized in the bank account for it.
I think he took Vancouver's offer not simply because of the amount of money, but how it is allotted. Six of the 12 million is tied up in signing bonus which means he gets paid that money through a work stoppage.  I'm not going to say he wouldn't have had as good an offer elsewhere.  The Caps certainly wouldn't be able to or want to offer up that guaranteed cash.

Speaking of people wanting to get paid, Anton Khudobin wanted to remain in Boston for $5 million a year to back up Rask, and that's... no, just no. He ended up getting $5 million, but over the course of two years in Dallas- his place on the B's roster is now occupied with an old friend of the Capitals, Jaroslav Halak. Not a big fan of it, but it's not a massive overpayment for a backup at least.
That's a pretty silly thing of him to think he'd get 5 mil a year as a back up.  While some of us have moved on, I think there will be more than a few fans who will have some satisfaction knowing that while they won't raise that Stanley Cup banner in front of the Pens, we will get some small pleasure raising it in front of Halak.

Watching the Leafs against Boston this past playoffs, it felt like they were a player away from really turning the corner and becoming a powerhouse. I figured that needed to be a defenseman. They seem to think differently. That's a huge payout for Tavares- and a team that now can pretty much bank on scoring at will most nights, that will eat opponents alive if they take penalties, and... if we're honest, it's hard to not see them as a frontrunner for the East next year at the very least. I don't know if this was the player they really needed, but a very good offense is a hell of a lot better- and that can only help in the short-term. (Long term, good luck with the cap in a few years...)
I think you are spot on and aggree with you .  There isn't much mid to high end talent left for the year UFA class.  All the big names have been picked up now.  Toronto have 6 D signed to start the season which should be more than enough.  All that remains on the block are lower end talent and role players. 
If I were Toronto I'd look at some low cost players to fill out the 24 man and call it a day. Next year will have more high level talent available through UFA.

My biggest surprise: I genuinely figured that after the Islanders made their big pitch to Tavares (in vain, as it turned out), the next team looking to show their dedication to keeping their star player happy by doing... something, ANYTHING at all, would be Ottawa. Nothing huge, but at least show you're looking to make up for what you lost by trading away Hoffman and try to get back on track.

Nothing. Not a peep.

The team claims to have made their offer to Karlsson, so that's nice, but if he wanted out already I can't see how July 1 would have changed his mind. Ditto for Anderson. If those guys were waiting to see if this team was dedicated to rebuilding into a winner again around them, the answer is a thunderous 'meh'.

The 'big name' free agents are pretty much all off the board. So I can't really blame any teams that tighten up their wallets and settle for how gets one rol playeru  As for Ottawa, they are just a mess from the top down.  Until EM sells that team, I don't see how they become competitive.
« Last Edit: 03 July 2018, 01:43:06 by Firesprocket »

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #8 on: 03 July 2018, 12:13:07 »
Well, it seems Montreal is now as attractive a destination as Buffalo or Arizona.

Not a single available free agent centre came anywhere close to signing with the team.  They were never seriously in the running for Tavares, and even Ryan O'Reilly didn't think Montreal was enough of an upgrade on Buffalo that he would actually consider playing for the Habs.

Habs fans should expect next season to look much like the last one.

We'll only know if Jesperi Kotkaniemi pans out as their centre of the future in another 2, 3, maybe 4 years.  Same with any of the other lower-ranked centres they hauled in at the draft this year.

So even if nobody in the Habs' front office will actually utter the word "rebuild" to the media, that's what it is.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 04 July 2018, 01:01:51 »
Well, it seems Montreal is now as attractive a destination as Buffalo or Arizona.
While I'm not 100% certain about anything in Buffalo these days, Arizona seems to be an attractive destination.  Baring a trade of say the Erik Karlsson variety they are probably competitive enough to make a shot at the 2nd wild card in the WC.  Assuming Arizona isn't on Karlsson's list of teams he can't be traded to they can take the salary hit of signing him to 11 million a year that Doughty received.  I wouldn't give that type of money to Doughty.  Hell, I think the only guys I'd give 11 mil to would be McDavid, Crosby, Malkin, Karlsson, and maybe Ovenchkin when he was 26.  I'd entertain Patrick Kane as well.  The salary structure on the Black Hawks at some point though drags down the talent he has around him and is going to drag him and his large contract down with him from okay to not so good.

Not a single available free agent centre came anywhere close to signing with the team.  They were never seriously in the running for Tavares, and even Ryan O'Reilly didn't think Montreal was enough of an upgrade on Buffalo that he would actually consider playing for the Habs.
To be fair there isn't/wasn't a large amount of top end talent in the UFA pool this year at center.  It was basically Tavares, Stastny, and Joe Thornton.  We know Joe Thornton isn't likely go anywhere else if he continued to play.  You can throw darts at the board for anything else that would work.  Next year it will be quite similar in that there are notable #1 centers available with a few #2 centers of note after that.

To the second point, that O'Reilly had any want or say on where he went, that is unlikely.  He has no trade protection at all.  Berglund did and apparently he didn't have any issue in heading to Buffalo.

Ultimately though why would Montreal want to offer in trade for O'Reilly?  Certainly not picks and a prospect which are the core to the deal.  Shaw, 2 high picks to a division rival, and at least one other established player, perhaps Phillip Danault, and a prospect.  That would be something hard to justify to trade within the division.

Berglund and Sobotka stats are nothing to write home about when compared to O'Reilly.  They can however each have around a 50% career face off rate.  While that's significantly less on O'Reilly for either of them, I'll take that outlyer as decent. 

Habs fans should expect next season to look much like the last one.

That's probably an understatement. They will probably be worse next year.  Between them an Ottawa it is probably going to be a race to the basement.

For the non Habs chatter today, I saw that Lehner signed with the Islanders a 1 year deal.  He definitely got less than he's probably worth, but it is a show me contract for sure.  Calvan De Haan, formerly of the islanders, signed with the Hurricanes for 4.5 million/year for 4.  That probably more than he is worth. but comparable to Karl Alzner that signed last year.

Now the Hellbiedollar question, with John Moore signed to the Bruins, do they shop Torey Krug?

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: 05 July 2018, 14:16:04 »
More bad news for the Habs.  Weber is out 5-6 month after having arthroscopic surgery.  If management ever needed an excuse gift wrapped to obfuscate a tank they just received it.  Here is hoping Weber experiences no issues with his recovery.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: 06 July 2018, 08:24:49 »
More bad news for the Habs.  Weber is out 5-6 month after having arthroscopic surgery.  If management ever needed an excuse gift wrapped to obfuscate a tank they just received it.  Here is hoping Weber experiences no issues with his recovery.

Make that 5-6 MORE months.  First the tendon surgery and now this.  He was going to miss training camp and at least the first month of the season anyway and now he'll be done for half the season--by which point it'll probably over again for the Habs.

David Poile must've known this was going to happen when he agreed to the Subban trade.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #12 on: 24 July 2018, 20:57:51 »
And the Caps just brought back Orpik on a cheap one year contract.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 25 July 2018, 00:36:47 »
And the Caps just brought back Orpik on a cheap one year contract.

I'd rather that hadn't done that, but at least they didn't go out of there way to sign Jack Johnson to a 5 year deal at 3.25m a year.  They still have 6.2 mil in cap space this season so they should be able to afford Wilson and still have funds to spare for any salary they take on as a result of a trade at the deadline.  I'm just hoping the money they ultimately give Wilson isn't absurd.  3-3.2m is probably still on the high side, but I wouldn't want to sign him for more than that. Eller, for the sake of comparison puts up similar numbers, and gets 3.5m AAV.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: 27 July 2018, 20:27:34 »
So much for that idea of financial sensibilities by the Caps.  Wilson's contract is for 6 years at 5.17m aav.  This is a horrible, awful, contract both on money and structure for the Caps.  While the financial numbers aren't an exact match, they just gave Wilson a contract comparable to Patric Hörnqvist in terms of AAV.  Tom Wilson isn't even close or comparable to Patric Hörnqvist scoring contributions.  If that wasn't bad enough, they appear to have given Wilson a MNTC for the last 4 years of the contract!  That's absolutely insane.
« Last Edit: 28 July 2018, 00:45:38 by Firesprocket »

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #15 on: 28 July 2018, 09:10:45 »
Have the Caps turned into the newest version of the Islanders?
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 28 July 2018, 16:26:32 »
Have the Caps turned into the newest version of the Islanders?
I don't think that is possible at the moment.  What exactly do you mean?

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #17 on: 28 July 2018, 17:31:58 »
Stunned by that deal. That's the kind of deal that got Boston in trouble after their Cup run a few years ago, deals like that got handed to guys like Lucic and things went to hell fast. Wilson's become a pretty important guy on that team, but man, that's a lot more than I'd have thrown for THAT term.

If there's a long-term plan in DC, that can't have been part of it. Any shrewd planning from the Orpik situation just went right on out the window.

+Crow T. Robot+

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #18 on: 28 July 2018, 18:34:23 »
I don't think that is possible at the moment.  What exactly do you mean?
Making poor financial decisions and locking in players who are not worth the money that was invested.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 31 July 2018, 00:10:12 »
Well in that case, no.  I think the Islanders still have the historical market cornered quite well:

Alexi Yashin didn't work out for them and at the time the contract was massive.  It would still be massive today with the caveat that you can't do a 10 year contract, but could to a 8 year deal.  But as with most players his performance degraded over time and he was bought out.

Rick DiPietro wasn't the worst contract they put to paper, but the odds the betting man that says he plays out his full contract were slim and none due to the wear and tear.  Sure enough injuries shortened his career and he just could cut being a league average goaltender.  Had he though, that AAV at 4.5 mil would have been an absolute steal against their cap.  I honestly would give the Islanders a pass on this if it hadn't lead them to trading Roberto Luongo to Florida

Andrew Ladd, the less said, the better.  He was a 'star' for Atlanta and Winnipeg, because someone had to be.  Meanwhile, Frans Nielsen and Kyle Okposo production has decreased with there moves to other cities, they could have looked at signing one or both and either and remained as productive as Ladd. 

Okposo certainly seems to be a product of the players around him.  Health aside he's tanked since he left Long Island.  Nielsen drop off isn't as bad as Okposo, but he didn't have never had the luxury of a couple 60 point seasons that Okposo put up either.

Cal Clutterbuck.  Someone forgot to tell the Islanders that his scoring regressed after he got traded to the Islanders from the Wild.

And finally there is Mikhail Grabovski.  Injuries pretty much did him in as soon as he got to the Islanders.  He won himself a healthy raise with that one year as a Capital, but it never panned out on the score sheet after that.

I will however blame the Islanders because obviously Wilson is better than Cal Clutterbuck who makes 3.5 million a year and Wilson should be making probably that amount instead of 5.1+M a year.  Clutterbuck's offensive ineptitude though at 3.5M a year demanded a higher bar for Wilson.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 02 August 2018, 22:27:22 »
We interrupt your NFL Hall of Fame game to announce a trade!

Jeff Skinner traded to Buffalo for prospect Cliff Pu and three picks — a second rounder in 2019 and a third and a sixth in 2020.  Skinner's knock has been his defense, but obviously that's not why Buffalo traded for him.  His scoring is pretty balanced between PP and EV.  I'd say what Carolina got back in return was probably immediately lower than an expected return, but you never know how those picks will pan out.

Buffalo is still going to be bad this year so a high 2nd round pick in next years draft seems good on paper. At this point I no longer know what the Hurricanes are trying to do.  The defense looks improved, their offense looks as good (meaning bad) as it did before.  I can't imagine Carolina being spenders at any point, but  next year's UFAs are definitely more attractive and plentiful when compared to this years class.  I suppose worse case they can take over Phoenix's traditional spot and leverage bad contract for draft picks going forward for the year as Phoenix is at their 50 contract maximum now.

JadeHellbringer

• Administrator
  • Colonel
  • Third time this week!
« Reply #21 on: 03 August 2018, 07:30:45 »
I like it from the Buffalo perspective. Theoretically, that's going to be a scary offense this year (if god-awful in their own end). Carolina... underwhelmed with the return on this, and as FS said kind of unsure what it is the Canes are trying to build here. Very odd trade from their side. The one thing that this does is free up a big chunk of cap space for them, but to what end? Karlsson? He doesn't really help them all that much, does he? Unless there's something else I don't see, this doesn't do a great deal of good.

+Crow T. Robot+

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 05 August 2018, 01:39:16 »
Yeah, I just don't get it.  Trading Skinner makes sense if they didn't think they could re-sign him.  In spite of his poor defensive set and down season I have to suspect when his UFA salary would demand wasn't something the new owner would be prepared to pay.  Their GM Don Waddell, claimed that no discussions on an additional term or contract had been discussed.

Skinner, for his part, thought he was going to be dealt at the draft from one article I read.  Given he went to a team that is hasn't made the playoffs just about as often at the one he was leaving, he apparently favored Buffalo, to a degree, because it was closer to home.   So with the NTC he had he had final say on where he went.

Non Jeff Skinner news of the day is that John Gibson was extended for 8 years at 6.4M AAV with Anaheim.  Aside from the fact 8 years is a long time to hitch yourself to a a goalie, the contact appears to be more team friendly than player friendly in my opinion.  There is no signing bonus attached to it so if there is a work stoppage, he isn't getting paid while it happens unlike some of the other contract signed this off season.

His regular season play has stayed consistent through his brief career and his playoff career is hit or miss.  Gibson gets a limited 10 team NTC that kicks in at the start of the 2021 season.  That is just reasonable enough for the player to not get shipped off worst teams in the league in any given season.  His salary should make next off season and the one after next all that more interesting to see what money gets thrown at Bobrovksy and Holtby.  Bob's stock is down, but won't take a significant hit unless he starts playing like the 2014-2016 version of himself.  Holtby has that nice little ring that inflates his value up as well to probably over 7 mil AAV.  I hope that isn't the case, but the bar is probably north of that for both players.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #23 on: 10 September 2018, 22:21:36 »
Well I think it is obvious at this point.  Marc Bergevin keeping the seat warm until Geoff Molson fires him and hires Garth Snow.  In case it was missed, Max Pacioretty was traded to Vegas for Nick Suzuki, a 2019 pick, and Thomas Tartar.  Suzuki and the pick are obviously the focus of the trade, but I can't see Bergevin being around to use the pick.  Ottawa is probably the only thing keeping Montreal out of the basement.  It's a fairly slow decent into fan madness.

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: 10 September 2018, 22:48:31 »
Well I think it is obvious at this point.  Marc Bergevin keeping the seat warm until Geoff Molson fires him and hires Garth Snow.  In case it was missed, Max Pacioretty was traded to Vegas for Nick Suzuki, a 2019 pick, and Thomas Tartar.  Suzuki and the pick are obviously the focus of the trade, but I can't see Bergevin being around to use the pick.  Ottawa is probably the only thing keeping Montreal out of the basement.  It's a fairly slow decent into fan madness.

Finally the drama and soap opera are over.  Bergevin was trying to move Patches since the trade deadline last year, and, depending on whose side of things you believe, had a deal lined up with LA that the player himself scuttled by not wanting to agree to an extension.  Now it's the same sort of "he said, we said" that happened with Alex Radulov, with each side saying different things (Bergie:  "a trade was requested last year", Patches:  "I never requested a trade out of Montreal")

At least now, Patches gets to play for a coach he likes and who understands the modern NHL.  As for the Habs...with this and the previous disposal of Alex Galchenyuk, they now have no bona fide high-scoring threats left.

We've braced ourselves for what's coming; the only question is just how bad bad will be.  And amazingly, the Habs' front office STILL won't say the "r" word.

cheers,

Gabe

p.s. And unless Garth Snow shows that he has a heretofore unknown mastery of French, he's not getting the Habs GM job.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #25 on: 11 September 2018, 01:07:37 »
Objectively, I'd scuttle a trade to LA as well.  I doubt they could have paid him 7 mil a year and they have a low upside right now with a smaller window in which to make another serious run before the core of that team breaks down entirely.

As far as Pach's new home, I'm skeptical that Vegas will make it back to the SCF next year.  There is no reason to think they can't win their division this year unless they implode they will probably have a good shot at making at least the conference finals.  They also have the cash to splash next off season or come trade deadline time to sign Erik Karlsson.  Pach give them a solid replacement for the loss of James Neal and Stasny make them 3 deep with quality centers.  Really their only issues look like they are on defense and should they lose Fluery for any large length of time, again.

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: 13 September 2018, 20:18:57 »
What a difference 48 hours makes.  Erik Karlsson is now a Shark and Yzerman is no longer GM of the Bolts.  And because he plays in Dallas little fan fare has been given to the fact that Tyler Senguin signed a contract extension.  If you like your signings in 8 bit then this link is for you https://twitter.com/DallasStars/status/1040285920858136576/video/1

gyedid

• Captain
« Reply #27 on: 13 September 2018, 20:56:26 »
What a difference 48 hours makes.  Erik Karlsson is now a Shark

At least Eugene Melnyk is honest enough to say the word "rebuild".

Cheers,

Gabe

Firesprocket

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: 13 September 2018, 21:48:13 »
At least Eugene Melnyk is honest enough to say the word "rebuild".
Its a crazy world we live in that the word honest and Eugene Melnyk are used in the same sentence.  It should also make the Avs fan base happier as they look like they are going to get the best odds of #1 lottery pick next draft.  I'm skeptical they make a WC spot this year and might peg them for a finish that sees them drafting twice next year in the top 10.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #29 on: 14 September 2018, 00:34:03 »
Finally, Matt Duchene will pay dividends!  ^-^