Author Topic: How would you simulate a closed ecology life system?  (Read 2256 times)

Korzon77

• Captain
How would you simulate a closed ecology life system?
« on: 19 March 2018, 23:46:38 »
Which is to say, a life support system that recycles enough of the used material that it doesn't need to be resupplied on any given basis, rather converting waste material back into food, water and air?

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: How would you simulate a closed ecology life system?
« Reply #1 on: 19 March 2018, 23:49:49 »
Don't add animals that require aerobic respiration?  As I recall, we all exhale slightly less than we breathe in.

Beyond that, increase the mass of passenger/crew spaces. Fallgug had a good system somewhere on a previous incarnation of the board that added an additional 10 tons per person for hydroponics, as I recall.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
« Reply #2 on: 20 March 2018, 16:19:32 »
added an additional 10 tons per person for hydroponics, as I recall.

That's what I was going to suggest.
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #3 on: 20 March 2018, 20:53:23 »
Aha... is that where the requirement for full quarters comes from on long duration ships?  (Yes, I'm mixing PMs with posting here...)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 20 March 2018, 21:03:32 »
StratOps discusses life support requirements, and the differences in use of consumables by passengers/crew in quarters, bays or general cargo. It gets...pretty bad.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"

Vition2

• Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: 20 March 2018, 21:33:11 »
I ended up using around 30 tons per inhabitant on the ArcShip I ended up building.  Now this is intended to be a mostly self-contained set of hydroponics with a fairly diverse menu - and including fresh fish.

Link to the ArcShip design: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=58412.0

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 20 March 2018, 21:38:10 »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #7 on: 21 March 2018, 02:47:54 »
If you're using house rules, bay quarters are the way to go.

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 21 March 2018, 04:17:34 »
I'm doing something similar to the Drsgonstar small craft, using infantry bays for passengers.  It's just that a ton of consumables only lasts 20 days for one person at that point, which is objectively worse than the escape pod or lifeboat.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #9 on: 21 March 2018, 06:56:48 »
At the very least Gio, I'd like to thank you for making a point for me... I'm not the only one that sees consumables as a design constraint!