Author Topic: Scouting Rule -- a better way to use scouts?  (Read 1392 times)

abou

• Captain
Scouting Rule -- a better way to use scouts?
« on: 15 August 2018, 22:16:22 »
This is something that has bothered me a lot: how do you use scout 'mechs to better achieve the meta of the universe beyond the standard game? And even in Campaign Operations I don't think I saw anything that really achieved what I wanted. So far what I have is probably best used in a campaign setting with a GM. I don't know if this is the best answer, but this is what I have been working on:

Borrowing from A Time of War, the die roll is a Target Number of 8 on a 2D6 with various modifiers increasing or decreasing that roll.

Average piloting skill of the formation (most commonly a lance) have the following effets:
Green: -1
Regular: +0
Veteran: +1
Elite: +2

Speed of the slowest unit in the formation determines the speed modifier, which is the movement modifier for walking speed -1. Eg: an Urbanmech would generate -1, an Atlas +0, a Phoenix Hawk +1

Extras: Active Probe +1, ECM +1, etc.

But then this is where I get stuck. Should there just be the scouting player rolling or should the opposing force get a roll (compare to something similar with AToW's melee combat). What about margins of success and margins of failure? What is percolating in my brain are ideas like this:

Scouting party loses:
1. Runs into pickets place by opposing force (eg. vehicles, infantry, 'mechs); must breakthrough or retreat.
2. Pickets plus reinforcements inbound in X turns; advised to retreat.
3. Stumbled into heavy force on patrol; must escape.

Scouting party wins:
1. Basic information on force dispositions or main target
2. Able to advise main body of where to best strike; gains +1 initiative bonus for the next battle.
3. Able to pinpoint a weakness in the enemy deployment and strike at a vulnerable location. Opponent is only able to deploy a fraction of the intended force, which may or may not be able to show up in time for the battle.

So something along those lines. Just the fineries escape me.

Col Toda

• Captain
Re: Scouting Rule -- a better way to use scouts?
« Reply #1 on: 28 August 2018, 05:54:40 »
Recon is done many ways . In force with say 60 ton Argus Mechs . With the  formation go in blind with the active probes in the attacking force . Or most commonly with light units going into enemy territory looking for enemy being out of postion to exploit.

abou

• Captain
Re: Scouting Rule -- a better way to use scouts?
« Reply #2 on: 29 August 2018, 10:53:20 »
The problem is not what recon is done and how it is achieved. The problem is how do you play that in a game like BattleTech. Considering most fights are done on 1 or 2 map sheets, throwing lights into a fight is often a waste. A PPC or high caliber AC is pretty much the end of it. 'Mechs like the Stinger have a use on the field as scouts or pickets so the idea was how to give that feel of warfare.

To be honest, I don't think I have achieved it. But I wanted to give it a go to see if someone else could supplement.