Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: Shattered Fortress  (Read 85510 times)

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
Re: NEW RELEASE: Shattered Fortress
« Reply #120 on: 03 August 2018, 12:24:33 »

Fall of New Avalon confirmed in the novellas. Any more word of it in the book?

The Table of Contents that Cubby spoiled upthread might give some interesting hints of a Kuritan roll-back.  What with "Binding the Dragon's Tongue" and "The Harried Dragon" sections.  But don't forget this is the same timeline that in introduction to TRO3150 says (among other things) that the "FedSuns is fighting for its life" and that the Dragon has "begun chipping away at the Republic".  I'm not so sure either (much less both) would be accurate if the Republic, Dominion, or some other party began saving Davion's bacon by opening a new front on the Combine.

I don't have access to a copy of Shattered Fortress but in my reading of the tea-leaves I'm expecting the Davion-Kurita conflict in that book being an elaboration of the Operations PERCEVAL and the responding TSUJIRI that we first read about in TRO3150.  And from TRO3150 it really sounds like that ends in a less-than-good way for Davion despite being reasonably successful at first. (Remagen is treated as one of the Touchpoints in the ToC)
« Last Edit: 03 August 2018, 12:33:21 by Tai Dai Cultist »

MarauderD

• Major
« Reply #121 on: 03 August 2018, 12:34:31 »

My thought was that without the industrial output of New Avalon, which is staggeringly massive in terms of mechs, tanks, and especially BattleArmor, I have some doubts that the AFFS will be able to hold out even as a rump state. Without Robinson and New Avalon, you are relying on Kathil, Crofton, and New Syrtis. Wow. Just wow!

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #122 on: 03 August 2018, 12:40:24 »
I'm pretty sure I remember reading in one of the novellas that The AFFS fled from New Avalon.  This might indicate that they preserved their strength and could even have potentially conducted scorched earth to deny the DCMS that production..  But, then again, maybe not.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #123 on: 03 August 2018, 13:50:12 »
Having seen the map there isn't much left of the Republic at all. The bears have barely moved an inch but even they seem to be approaching.
Every man lives by exchanging - Adam Smith

Karasu

• Mecharcheologist by appointment
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #124 on: 03 August 2018, 13:53:01 »

My thought was that without the industrial output of New Avalon, which is staggeringly massive in terms of mechs, tanks, and especially BattleArmor, I have some doubts that the AFFS will be able to hold out even as a rump state. Without Robinson and New Avalon, you are relying on Kathil, Crofton, and New Syrtis. Wow. Just wow!

And isn't New Syrtis in Capellan hands?

Mech Dingus

• Private
« Reply #125 on: 03 August 2018, 14:02:55 »
And isn't New Syrtis in Capellan hands?

The focus of one of the Novellas is the retaking(and successfully defending from a counterattack) of New Syrtis.

Battletech: A game of which factions turn it is in the gnard smacking chair.

Sellsword

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #126 on: 03 August 2018, 18:27:03 »
Any mention of the WOB?

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
« Reply #127 on: 03 August 2018, 18:35:18 »
No.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
« Reply #128 on: 03 August 2018, 20:12:10 »
http://benhrome.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/00-ilclan-outline-final.pdf

Now is a good time to remember Ben Rome's joke from 4 years ago and see what was really true after all

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #129 on: 03 August 2018, 20:14:34 »
Section 1: Cover - Out of all of that.... There is an Atlas II involved.

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #130 on: 03 August 2018, 20:40:31 »
Also from that preposterous fake outline was this line:

[May] Fox envoys arrive at Terra to challenge the ilClan and fail the subsequent Trials of Conquest. Stripped of their military power, the Foxes are tasked as the new Supremacy’s Merchant Caste. [500] 

If this happens I'll quit BattleTech even though I've essentially played it as long as I've been alive UNLESS...

All Clan Jade Falcon players are forced to only be allowed to play ATOW bankers.
All Ghost Bear players are only allowed to play ATOW with the Interest/Arts
All Clan Wolf players are forced to only be allowed to play ATOW with Interest/Lacrosse
All Raven Alliance Players are forced to only be allowed to play ATOW and only genetically engineer sharks.
All Hell's Horses players - no changes required. As you were.... what do you guys do anyways? As far as I can tell you're just out there hooning in the desert. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bkX5VkZg8U

Fair is fair after all.

(p.s. I wouldn't actually quit battletech. I was joking. I'd just be the worlds only dark age grognard. xD)
« Last Edit: 03 August 2018, 20:46:33 by Kitsune413 »

bobthecoward

• Captain
« Reply #131 on: 03 August 2018, 22:11:56 »
No luck on a PDF today....see you all on the fourth.

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #132 on: 03 August 2018, 22:14:23 »
Bankers or Baker's, Kitsune?

Trial of possession for quick rising yeast!
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #133 on: 03 August 2018, 22:31:16 »
I now will only accept that trials take place in the form of Master Chef.

For the position of Star Commander you will be subjected to... BATTLE SNOW CRAB

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

Kitsune413

• Major
  • Diamond Khanate Sakhan
« Reply #134 on: 03 August 2018, 22:41:04 »
Bankers fits the fluff... but they don't have nightmare kitchen with alton brown... sooooo….

Bakers it is.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #135 on: 03 August 2018, 22:59:46 »
http://benhrome.files.wordpress.com/2014/04/00-ilclan-outline-final.pdf

Now is a good time to remember Ben Rome's joke from 4 years ago and see what was really true after all

I'm so glad that didn't actually happen.  Joke/April fool's release is enough. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #136 on: 03 August 2018, 23:04:45 »
I'm so glad that didn't actually happen.  Joke/April fool's release is enough.

I'm still assuming the Joke is that the outline was actually completely sincere but we were just supposed to think it wasn't.  I won't be convinced until I see some thing else actually published.

rebs

• Colonel
  • Et tu, Brute?
« Reply #137 on: 03 August 2018, 23:10:35 »
I'm still assuming the Joke is that the outline was actually completely sincere but we were just supposed to think it wasn't.  I won't be convinced until I see some thing else actually published.

I think Ben Rome actually got a kick out of seeing how many people took everything he typed seriously, no matter how preposterous it was/is.   Just the vibe I got from his postings.

When almost no one caught on to that, it kind of bothered him.  It's my opinion, but he really just wanted to be able to post and not have everyone take everything he said as a canon-overriding statement.  Lots of us were guilty of that. 
Playing Guitar On My YouTube Channel:
Current cover tune: "The Wind Cries Mary" (by Jimi Hendrix)
https://youtu.be/m6a8wZiCsjM?si=0w7tVOgk7yylNv6a

"Thou shalt not create a machine in the image of the human mind." ~ The Orange Catholic Bible, Dune, Frank Herbert

TwinkieMonkieIIC

• Corporal
« Reply #138 on: 04 August 2018, 00:19:26 »

I am very excited at the possibility of a previously unknown Thuggee Death Commando unit out there which would be so both badass and terrifying at the same time.  Its possible that they were just some "regular" Death Commandos and the AFFS and Danai both seem to believe it was Death Commandos conducting a brutal insurgency campaign on New Syrtis but not even Danai was privy to those operations.  I think/hope this is some kind of Thuggee related commando unit for several reasons.

1.  The AFFS noted similarities between the chemical attacks and the Wei nerve agent used during the Capellan St. Ives War which was never recovered by the CCAF.

2.  "Ritualized" killings.  Possible psychological warfare tactic but I think CCAF death commandos would just kill as efficiently as possible rather than rituralize killings.  Sounds rather culty to me.

3. Black with crimson paintjob expressly noted as being inconsistent with known Death Commando schemes.

4. Daoshen's belief in his own divinity meshs better with the Thuggee's nutty beliefs than Sun-Tzu's pragmatism so it seems like the kind of thing he would promote.

What does everyone think?

Crimson Dynamo

• Lieutenant
  • Opening hearts, minds, and throats since 2807
« Reply #139 on: 04 August 2018, 00:25:50 »
I came away from it as they were a Capellan PSYOPS unit imitating the old Thuggee cult. The sister mentions she was going to have stern words over their handiwork with Daoshen over the Death Commandos' behavior, specifically the wanton killing of so many potential pro-Capellan people.
"Well, I do, Marcus, and rule number one of the MAC has always been that the man with the plan leads. If we get shot up, I'm the first one to get my ticket punched. There are no flags in the MAC."
"And there never will be," Barton said, nodding his head in agreement.

"You guys are facing a freaking Shadow Division! These guys have strict policies against playing fair!"

"I don’t care. Kill them. I planned the defense so I know it will work. If they claim otherwise, they’re cowards. Any step back is a betrayal of me, and saying they don’t have enough men is just an excuse for incompetence and disloyalty. Tell the Krypteia to do it if you’re too soft but get it done." -Emperor Stefan Ukris Amaris I

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #142 on: 04 August 2018, 11:14:36 »
EDIT: We had to get something in the description changed, but it's good to go now. You'll see some promotion shortly, but it's LIVE!

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/collections/e-publications/products/battletech-shattered-fortress

Please note: Because a relatively few customers were able to obtain the print book at Gen Con, we wanted to push the PDF version out as quickly as possible so everyone has a chance to read the latest exciting chapter of the BattleTech saga. As a result, at this time, ONLY the PDF version is available. The usual PDF + Print combo will not be available on the store until the print book has a street date, later this fall. An upgrade to the print + PDF combo is not possible at this time.
« Last Edit: 04 August 2018, 11:28:54 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

I am Belch II

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • It's a gator with a nuke, whats the problem.
« Reply #143 on: 04 August 2018, 11:36:36 »
Downloading.
Walking the fine line between sarcasm and being a smart-ass

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #144 on: 04 August 2018, 11:41:49 »
Great news. 

Unfortunately not on drivethrurpg yet :(

It is there now.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #145 on: 04 August 2018, 12:55:21 »
*Furiously Reading*
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #146 on: 04 August 2018, 13:11:17 »
Downloaded. Now to select reading music. Hmm...
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Centurion03

• Master Sergeant
  • Jacta Alea Est - The Die is Cast
    • South African Wargamer
« Reply #147 on: 04 August 2018, 13:17:52 »
Downloaded. Now to select reading music. Hmm...

Seems like the Jon Everist-created BattleTech OST is an appropriate option. ;)

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #148 on: 04 August 2018, 13:20:03 »
Seems like the Jon Everist-created BattleTech OST is an appropriate option. ;)

A haunting, searching harmony. You could almost say it searches like a... scout?

Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

SteveRestless

• Major
« Reply #149 on: 04 August 2018, 13:26:47 »
I'm listening to the Timothy Seals Mechwarrior Soundtrack Remixes as I read.
Шонхорын хурдаар хурцлан давшъя, Чонын зоригоор асан дүрэлзэье, Тэнхээт морьдын туурайгаар нүргэе, Тамгат Чингисийн ухаанаар даръя | Let’s go faster than a falcon, Let’s burn with the wolf’s courage, Let’s roar with the hooves of strong horses, Let’s go with the wisdom of Tamgat Genghis - The Hu, Wolf Totem