Author Topic: NEW RELEASE: Shattered Fortress  (Read 84622 times)

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
Re: NEW RELEASE: Shattered Fortress
« Reply #510 on: 23 October 2018, 16:35:14 »
Felt like the Wolves were doing the same thing, which opens up the Empire to predation from either the FWL or the Lyrans.  First FWL Guards is just sitting right on the border next to some fantastic real estate (such as a Wolf production site for Clan-tech DHS) very nearby on the other side of the line, itching for the moment.

Frankly I'd not be surprised if the Falcons and Wolves both pulled everything that could reach Terra early, on time, and fashionably late - the entire mindset is that Earth is the prize.  All the other OZs are just OZs, becoming the ilClan is the true goal.  Throw everything you've got on Terra in one giant throwdown, because second place is meaningless in Malvina and Alaric's mind.  The OZs and all they've done prior to that moment is expendable, because winning and holding Terra means it was all worthwhile.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #511 on: 23 October 2018, 17:29:02 »
I think the wolves have the edge over the falcons here since former Lyran's don't seem to mind being part of the wolf empire while any goodwill the falcons once had in their OZ is probably all dried up.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #512 on: 24 October 2018, 16:50:25 »
If (if!) the Wolves and Falcons are smart, they'll understand that their OZs are like rocket boosters that are designed to drop away as they push for Terra.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #513 on: 24 October 2018, 19:11:40 »
Wouldn't that leave them in the same position as the Republic in the 3130s, i.e. surrounded by powerful, numerically superior enemies?

History has not been kind to states that try to hold Terra and environs. It's the most vulnerable position in the Inner Sphere. The key to holding it seems to be diplomatic: you need either assiduous neutrality or incredibly good diplomacy, and on top of that a big stick to disincentivise people attacking you. The Hegemony had its technological edge and Aggressive Peacemaking strategies, and even then it was conscious enough of its vulnerability that it invented the Star League to secure its borders, and invented and deployed the most powerful space defenses in human history, in a time of peace. ComStar was rigorously neutral and threatened to shut down the HPGs. And the Republic was only possible in the first place because everyone was allied with it, and even so it desperately wanted everyone else to disarm.

Terra and environs are by their very nature vulnerable. You have half a dozen or more neighbours, at least several of which are likely to hate you at any given time, and once you start to fall apart, everyone has an incentive to invade and snap up what they can. Terra is not stable.

A Clan could abandon their entire OZ and try to make a 'Clan Hegemony', so to speak, based around Terra. But the Clans are noticeably bad at diplomacy, peacemaking, or neutrality; and the tech gap is almost gone. A Clan Hegemony might stick for a while in the Dark Age, since all the great houses are tired and devastated, but you can't hold Terra through force alone, and neither can you through the fear of force.

If not for the fact that their entire culture demands it, I would be inclined to suggest that trying to conquer and hold Terra is a strategically terrible move for any Clan to make.

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #514 on: 24 October 2018, 19:22:04 »
I think any faction has a good chance at taking terra, but Wolves have the best chance at holding it.  Lyrans and Marik both have too much going on within their current boarders to have time to extend(or reclaim) them. The falcons don't have any potential allies and a whole pot of trouble brewing within their own ranks.  Everyone else is too busy fighting each other to the point that even trying for Terra is a stupid idea to begin with.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

JPArbiter

• Captain
  • Podcasting Monkey
    • Arbitration Studios, your last word in battletech talk
« Reply #515 on: 24 October 2018, 23:53:57 »
I think any faction has a good chance at taking terra, but Wolves have the best chance at holding it.  Lyrans and Marik both have too much going on within their current boarders to have time to extend(or reclaim) them. The falcons don't have any potential allies and a whole pot of trouble brewing within their own ranks.  Everyone else is too busy fighting each other to the point that even trying for Terra is a stupid idea to begin with.

Except Daoshen Liao was boldly aiming for Terra.  Who would have thought the Cappelans are the leading dark horse for the IlClanship...
Host of Arbitration, your last word in Battletech Talk

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #516 on: 25 October 2018, 14:29:33 »
Wouldn't that leave them in the same position as the Republic in the 3130s, i.e. surrounded by powerful, numerically superior enemies?

<analysis removed for brevity>

If not for the fact that their entire culture demands it, I would be inclined to suggest that trying to conquer and hold Terra is a strategically terrible move for any Clan to make.

The Clans seem to be all about poor strategic moves in the face of numerically superior enemies in service to their single minded, and very skewed, culture. I think it fits perfectly.

I also don't want to see a Clan-dominated Inner Sphere, but I think there are plenty of interesting ways for this to play out in the next installment.

Azakael

• Warrant Officer
  • Brotherhood of Outreach - Until the Sword Breaks
« Reply #517 on: 25 October 2018, 18:18:19 »
To be honest, if I were a House Lord, I wouldn't give two whits over who holds Terra anymore.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #518 on: 25 October 2018, 19:55:10 »
To be honest, if I were a House Lord, I wouldn't give two whits over who holds Terra anymore.

And yet for ilClan to be a distinct era from the Dark Age: the House Lords either care that there's an ilClan, or are conquered by it.

If a Clan taking Terra doesn't mean the end of the status quo we know it, it wouldn't mean it's the establishment of a new Age rather than a single (albeit important) event of the Dark Age.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2018, 19:58:13 by Tai Dai Cultist »

Mecha-Anchovy

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #519 on: 25 October 2018, 21:18:19 »
The Clans seem to be all about poor strategic moves in the face of numerically superior enemies in service to their single minded, and very skewed, culture. I think it fits perfectly.

Oh, yes. I said "if not for the fact that their entire culture demands it". The reverence for Terra is one of the interesting things about the Clans, and when it comes right down to it, sensible strategic moves often don't make for very interesting gaming. The impossibility of holding Terra is one of the reasons why it's so fun to try, since it guarantees a giant furball in the middle of the Inner Sphere. Every single Inner Sphere faction can get in on that, which means gaming opportunities galore.

If I were a house lord, I'd certainly want to reject the idea that holding Terra confers a sort of moral authority to rule the human sphere. It doesn't do that. It hasn't been widely believed to do that for centuries, and the view that it should is essentially superstitious.

That said, Terra is still a very valuable world. Holding Terra is a big advantage, and if whoever holds Terra has the muscle need to press a claim to ruling the Inner Sphere by force... well, that's a chance for a lot more war.

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #520 on: 25 October 2018, 22:09:21 »
Eh focusing on terra is the wrong view. It's a culmination rather than a starting point. The ilclan is a violent punctuation on the IS clan acculturation process in progress since 3050. The latest flag to fly over Terra simply brings into sharp focus that Kerensky's children have already won long before clan troops ever jumped into orbit around Sol.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

The_Livewire

• Warrant Officer
    • The Livewire's Battletech Blog
« Reply #521 on: 06 November 2018, 16:41:50 »
Disclaimer, I've not read the book, money's tight and I'll be waiting for the conclusion before I throw c-bills at it.

I wanted more to reply to Tai Dai Cultist's comment about liking the Dark Age.  I'd been meaning to write a post on my blog "How I learned to stop worrying and learned to love the Dark Age."  I do think it had a lot of potential as a throwback to the 3025 era, if things settled down.  With Prefecture X in its bubble of plot, there were things moving, but moving too fast.  The shattered nation of the great states, well except for the DC and CC, scrambling, the clans evolving and moving away from their twisted roots, the remnants of the Sphere offering campaign opportunities of both conquest and diplomacy as planets are wooed or forced back under new management.  With retro, intro, lostech and clantech floating around, prospecting and upgrading becomes real.  Instead of SLDF caches it's an old WoB cache someone missed, or a Republic depot that has a box of clan ER smalls that was left in the closet...

Of to vote, but I'll have more thoughts on other comments later, if anyone cares to read them.
Alamo - When you care enough to send the very best.

And Purifiers *still* suck.

Now doing battletech blogging
https://livewire2112.blogspot.com/search/label/Battletech

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #522 on: 17 November 2018, 12:50:04 »
Shattered Fortress is confirmed for a street date of Friday, Nov. 28. But you can order the book and book+PDF combo now through our store!

Book only: https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-shattered-fortress-book-only

PDF only: https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-shattered-fortress

Combo: https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-shattered-fortress-book-pdf

« Last Edit: 21 November 2018, 09:15:28 by Cubby »
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #523 on: 17 November 2018, 13:49:00 »
Nice  :drool:

Any idea how long after that it'll be available in the UK?

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #524 on: 20 November 2018, 22:46:52 »
Is the "Combo" link working for anyone, because for me it only goes to the PDF.   :-\  At the site, I can also find the book, but I can NOT find a Book/PDF Combo.   :(
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Cubby

• Space Wizard of Secrets
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Major
  • BattleTech Assistant Line Developer
« Reply #525 on: 21 November 2018, 09:16:43 »
I had the links switched around above, my fault. They're fixed now, but here's the link to the combo:

https://store.catalystgamelabs.com/products/battletech-shattered-fortress-book-pdf

All three have been in the store since the initial post - your best bet is to try searching by partial title, all of them came up that way.
Demo Team Agent #639, northeastern Maryland.

BattleTech Assistant Line Developer, writer and editor - Sarna.net Profile

ajcbm

• Sergeant
« Reply #526 on: 21 November 2018, 13:03:07 »
Reminds me of a Stackpole novel. Seems like the default setting of battletech is 1950's comic book plot lines.

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #527 on: 26 November 2018, 18:47:13 »
Bought the PDF with its nice discount I only read the first bit but five things jumped at no so far

1) the start is very Sun's centric
2) the mood is almost upbeat in places with the AFFS hit and run attacks given the overall storyline that was surprising
3) Rikkard Nova Cat is going to get himself killed piloting a firestarter
4) the sidebar about the Wolf saKhan was unneccessary hes a Clanner who hasn't been seen for a bit and someone else is in his job I read first paragraph and got the gist.
5) the raising of Arc Royal was almost as brutal as Irece in two books there's essentially been a Trial of Annihilation played out
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #528 on: 26 November 2018, 19:16:55 »
For those who've bought this around GenCon, has you received notice that there's been an update to the PDF?

I'm hoping that the errata corrected in the final print form makes it to the PDF side as well.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #529 on: 26 November 2018, 19:32:19 »
Is the store supposed to send an update notification? I didn’t receive one

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #530 on: 26 November 2018, 20:12:11 »
I'm not sure how the store side does it, so I couldn't say.

Just to be clear: there's been no announcement that there was a new PDF.  I just wanted to know if there was and I simply didn't hear of it.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #531 on: 05 December 2018, 06:46:38 »
I'm not sure how the store side does it, so I couldn't say.

Just to be clear: there's been no announcement that there was a new PDF.  I just wanted to know if there was and I simply didn't hear of it.

I have bought it on DriveThru* and there are no signs of updating/new PDF version.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #532 on: 17 December 2018, 15:37:40 »
Bought the PDF with its nice discount I only read the first bit but five things jumped at no so far

3) Rikkard Nova Cat is going to get himself killed piloting a firestarter

Honestly, not sure he really drives that Firestarter much . . . when they invaded Marik he was running a Shadow Hawk IIC.  I THINK the Firestarter was a requirement to be piloted due to fluff elsewhere- like maybe 3150?  He had one back in 3132, but honestly that should have been smashed flat back in the Republic.  I am not even sure since I do not have the dossiers in front of me at the moment if he was a Star Commander or Star Captain at that stage- may have been a Star Colonel but I doubt it.  The Cats had a LOT of Star Colonels per the novels, so unless you want to try to claim they had just 3 clusters you fix that with either provisional clusters (and thus brevet Star Colonels) or lots of 'understrength' normal clusters (9 or 10 stars).  Both options can explain how they were everywhere . . . and winning everywhere.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Cap’n-Generalissimost
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #533 on: 24 December 2018, 12:26:29 »
My copy showed up today. Ordered on the 18th, shipped on the 22nd, delivered in this AM. Pretty good turnaround - I didn’t expect to see it until after Christmas

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #534 on: 26 December 2018, 21:20:01 »
I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but I just realized that the Wolves in Exile went missing in 3148. I wonder if it is their fleet that shows up in the final sentence of this book.

TigerShark

• Major
    • MekWars: Dominion
« Reply #535 on: 27 December 2018, 11:33:56 »
I don't know if it has already been mentioned, but I just realized that the Wolves in Exile went missing in 3148. I wonder if it is their fleet that shows up in the final sentence of this book.
There was definitely a point to their refusal to re-join the Wolves. Though  their becoming ilClan a total let-down after the epic history of the Clans. WiE is such a meaningless faction compared to Clans like Steel Viper, Jade Falcon, Wolf, Smoke Jaguar, etc.
  W W W . M E K W A R S - D O M I N I O N . C O M

"You will fight to the last soldier, and when you die, I will call upon your damned soul to speak horrible curses at the enemy."
     - Orders of Emperor Stefan Amaris to his troops

Rainbow 6

• Captain
« Reply #536 on: 27 December 2018, 14:09:36 »
There was definitely a point to their refusal to re-join the Wolves. Though  their becoming ilClan a total let-down after the epic history of the Clans. WiE is such a meaningless faction compared to Clans like Steel Viper, Jade Falcon, Wolf, Smoke Jaguar, etc.

It would certainly enrage the Wolves and Falcons though, enough to help spring a trap?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #537 on: 27 December 2018, 14:47:43 »
It would not enrage the Crusader Wolves that the Wardens ended up on Terra first- they would just not recognize them unless they conquered, stepping foot on the planet does not grant you the title.  The Falcons?  Oh yeah, I can hear Malvina's shrieking from over here.  But she also would not recognize them- in her case, it would not matter if they did win the planet in a Trial since she would use the same flaw with the ilClan's positioning.  Truly becoming the ilClan requires the other Clans to recognize the victorious Clan's accomplishment then become subservient to the ilClan's leadership and culture.  MAYBE the 3060s Marthe Falcons would have submitted . . . but never Malvina's Falcons, she got pissed off enough when Alaric NoBloodname refused to call her Chiggis Khan over Tharkad.  Bears, Foxes and Ravens would ignore it (combine?  make us) and for the Horses . . . not really sure how they would respond.

Besides, one of the theories is that the Hounds and Exiles both went off into the periphery together- 'back to where it all began.'
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #538 on: 27 December 2018, 15:41:11 »
As much as I'd hate to see what would become of the falcons afterwards, I would like to see Malvina just nuke the crap out of the earth in a jealous rage.  It would just be interesting to see where the fiction went with earth out of the picture.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #539 on: 27 December 2018, 16:30:08 »
I'd agree that the setting would benefit from Terra getting glassed.

Register