Author Topic: Primitive Light and Extra Light Fusion Engines, Primitive Gyros & Primitive DHS.  (Read 534 times)

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Now this is something I have thought about for a while now. Now this might seem redundant to do. But I think these would be sort of funny to see if implemented properly. First I'll go over the engine types and then Primitive DHS. Lore Pending, as they are considered advanced/experimental tech in universe. Overall I wanted to give some construction options to Retrotech units.

Primitive Light Fusion Engine: This is an engine based upon the Primitive Fusion Engine, Developed in parts unknown. This Engine Weighs 75% as much as a normal Primitive Fusion Engine. but takes up more space than even the standard tech-based version, 3 critical slots per a side torso vs the normal Light Fusion Engines two slots per a side torso. These do have an advantage due to being based upon a more primitive fusion engine of being cheaper to make/deploy vs normal tech ones. having half of the BV per a rating in comparison to normal light fusion engines and only costing 1.5 times more than a normal primitive fusion engine of the same rating and the tonnage is the primitive fusion engine divided by 4 then multiplied by three.

Primitive Extra Light Fusion Engine: This Engine similar to the Light Primitive Fusion Engine, Weighs 50% of the weight of a normal Primitive Fusion Engine of the Same Rating. The BV is half of that of the standard Extra Light Fusion Engine and costs 2.5 times as much as a primitive fusion engine to make. But it takes up worse critical slots in comparison due to the use of more primitive materials 5 slots per side torso vs 3 for a standard IS XLFE. Engine Rating is calculated like that of a standard Primitive Fusion Engine.

Primitive Light Gyro: this functions almost identically to the standard XL Gyro, albeit adapted for use on Primitive BattleTech. Taking up 5 critical slots in a mech and only providing 75% of the weight reduction of the normal Gyro. the standard tech version is identical to the primitive version but only takes up four critical slots vs the XL gyro's six.

Primitive Double Heat Sinks: These Function Just like the normal double heatsinks but cost half as much to use both in BV and monetary cost, however they take up 5 critical slots outside of the engine for mechs and aerospace fighters. Otherwise they follow the same rules as normal DHS. Developed from standard DHS.

Now I understand if this could make Primitive/Retrotech units more viable or more powerful overall. but I feel if the lore and mechanics are tuned correctly these could be slotted into the TT game decently. though I understand if others feel like these need some tuning at least before implementation.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ

Izzy193

• Warrant Officer
Here's how I did prototype DHS: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,62762.0.html

I am made well aware of your version of Prototype DHS, these Primitive versions Lore wise would likely be age of war era tech. Being a part of early developments of battlemech technology the looked promising and were developed further into modern prototypes.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
Glad you saw them at least... :)

Retry

• Lieutenant
Frankly I think anything less advanced than the normal Double Heat Sink is too simple to be credible, either realistically or balanced-wise.  Even at 5 crits (which is such a light density that it's already disbelievable) such a thing would/should obsolete normal SHS, because the extra heat sinking is too valuable and low tech just has so many crits to work with (no ferro-fibrous, no endo-steel hogging up all the crits) that the increased crit cost isn't really a "real" cost for them.

Maybe it can be made to work if they weighed 1.5 tons per instead of just 1, at a crit cost of 3-4, and also with the extra restrictions that they cannot be part of a SFE's free heat sinks or hidden in the engine, similar to those prototype freezer things.

Primitive XLEs has a similar though not quite extreme problem since for low-tech mechs there's no real issue getting enough crits to fit it.  While somewhat more vulnerable than "normal" XLEs it's not that huge of a vulnerability jump compared to them, since a lost torso kills both.  It's mostly a way to get more cost-effective XLE lights and is virtually a penalty-free discount for combat vehicles.

Frankly at a certain point, armed support vehicles with more primitive tech ratings become your retro-tech.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
That's why I went the route I did for prototype DHS... mine don't double the HS in the engine.