Author Topic: Star Trek general thread  (Read 140767 times)

monbvol

• Colonel
  • I said don't look!
Re: Star Trek general thread
« Reply #420 on: 08 May 2020, 23:25:34 »
Could have sworn they re-did it as a TAS episode but I can't find it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #421 on: 15 May 2020, 11:15:26 »
Looks like Star Trek getting another prequel series, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds. I found this report on Polygon and Vanity. 

If they can keep writing good, it will be great show.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #422 on: 15 May 2020, 11:24:55 »
Ah, so they're going ahead with that Pike show everyone's been asking for.

Sadly I suspect fandom will be divided over this one too.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #423 on: 15 May 2020, 11:27:43 »
should be good - they were great as guest stars on Discovery.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #424 on: 15 May 2020, 11:44:23 »
They were definitely good guest stars, though I can't comment much on character.

Number one didn't show up enough to get more than the surface level characterization, and Spock spent half the season as a macguffin, so we'll have to wait and see what sorta Spock we get when everything's the usual USS Enterprise weirdness.  Even if we know who all about who Spock is by this point, characterization does get colored a bit by the actor portrayal.

On a side note, with a Pike show, I'd actually kinda be interested in seeing a remake of The Cage.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #425 on: 15 May 2020, 12:19:04 »

Same as it ever was. 
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #426 on: 16 May 2020, 00:18:53 »

There's a simple way to find out: does the show have "Star Trek" in the title?
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #427 on: 16 May 2020, 03:12:34 »
Yeah, I suppose you're right.
Enterprise was already prequels ruining TOS canon, and Deep Space Nine already destroyed Gene's vision.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #428 on: 16 May 2020, 03:42:55 »
Yeah, I suppose you're right.
Enterprise was already prequels ruining TOS canon, and Deep Space Nine already destroyed Gene's vision.

"Gene's vision" was a cartoon drawing of him holding a big bag that says "Star Trek profits" while running away from the collaborators he screwed over. Much of the best Trek was made at a point when he had no creative control over the franchise - which generally happened because his behaviour was so destructive he had to be removed from production.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #429 on: 16 May 2020, 04:31:50 »
I actually recently had a video pop up in my youtube feed titled "Is Gene Roddenberry Overrated" and that was basically the tl;dr, that he got everything started but all of the actual legwork was other people, the writers and the producers.  Roddenberry created Star Trek, but he didn't really make Star Trek, and most of the stuff held in the highest regard is stuff he spent time complaining about and even trying to stop (he died right after having his lawyer start building a case to block the release of The Undiscovered Country)

It was also pointed out the irony of the 'no conflict among the crew' rule he had for TNG since Spock and McCoy bickering was a central element of TOS.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #430 on: 16 May 2020, 04:38:06 »
Reading about the production of TMP is a real trip, mostly for the crap he was pulling behind the scenes. 

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #431 on: 16 May 2020, 04:56:26 »
I've not looked in to that one.
I've mainly heard of his arguments over the employment of his girlfriend and future wife and him writing lyrics for the theme song to steal monetization of it, and him interfering with later movies and TNG.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #432 on: 16 May 2020, 05:08:58 »
I've not looked in to that one.
I've mainly heard of his arguments over the employment of his girlfriend and future wife and him writing lyrics for the theme song to steal monetization of it, and him interfering with later movies and TNG.

Yeah, he wrote lyrics for the TOS theme so he'd get half the writer's royalties.  He was sleeping with Majel Barret while still married to his first wife, and established the licensing company he founded in Barret's name so when he divorced his first wife she wouldn't get a share of it. He screwed Dorothy Fontana out of a raise during the production of TAS, and she was very reluctant to work on TNG as a result (Shatner did a documentary about the first two years of TNG called Chaos on the Bridge and it's amazing). 

During the pre-production period on TMP, when it was moving back and forth between being a movie, a TV show and a TV movie, he played a lot of power games to try and gain creative control and the sole production credit.  He was eventually successful but it delayed the movie entering production by about a year.  He had a severe case of writer's block during the filming, leading to two production halts because they ran out of script to shoot.  Shatner, Nimoy and Robert Wise had script consult rights, but when they made suggestions throw tantrums and pick fights. Eventually Paramount removed him from the production and Shatner, Nimoy, Wise and Howard Livingstone completed the script. 

He wasn't the only reason TMP was a production nightmare that came this close to bankrupting Paramount, but he was a big part of it. Memory Alpha's writeup of the production is fascinating.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #433 on: 16 May 2020, 07:14:58 »
Yesterday they revealed the new Space Force Command, which will be headquartered in the city in which I live, and it looks very familiar

Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #434 on: 16 May 2020, 10:01:47 »
That's becasue the Trek insignia is heavily influenced by earlier US logos. But that's crossing into politics and real life eventually.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #435 on: 16 May 2020, 10:08:50 »
I'll be more impressed with Space Force Command when they actually get ships or vehicles verse controlling boxes with solar panels in space.

Anyways, Star Trek: Strange New Worlds will hopefully keep them magic of what happened during Discovery cameo of the future cast. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
« Reply #436 on: 18 May 2020, 09:05:20 »
On a side note, with a Pike show, I'd actually kinda be interested in seeing a remake of The Cage.

It would require some major rewrites and re-imagining of the script IMO, not least because of the difference in Anson Mount's vs. Jeffrey Hunter's characterization of Pike.  For me, it's difficult to imagine Mount's Pike threatening to blow the Talosian's head off with a phaser. 

The biggest question for me right now is the time frame of the new series, whether it will take place entirely after DISCO S2, or whether it will straddle that period, covering events both before and after Pike's stint on the Discovery.

Cheers, Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #437 on: 18 May 2020, 09:20:08 »
I doubt we'll see a redo of The Cage, just because they've already dealt with it in DISCO.  There's something like 6 years between the end of DISCO series 2 and Kirk taking command of the Enterprise, so there's plenty of space for a good-sized Pike show in the middle. End it with him accepting promotion to fleet captain, fully aware of his fate being sealed...

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #438 on: 18 May 2020, 13:54:40 »
It occurs to me that if this new series bombs, they're going to put someone's head on a...

...Pike.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #439 on: 12 July 2020, 13:59:38 »
Lower Decks trailer:

https://youtu.be/V3RkBKedKWw

Starting August 6th, airing on the usual TV channels in Canada, not sure on international streaming yet.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #440 on: 12 July 2020, 15:53:00 »
Hmm.
I mean have to actually WATCH the show to make a determination, but I'm not liking the look of a wholly unprofessional crew from top to bottom.  I tend to find shows that are nothing but goofy tend to stray into farce more than comedy.  Though I tend to prefer situational comedy already.

I hate that ship, though.  Don't need to see the show to know that already.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #441 on: 12 July 2020, 16:41:21 »
I dunno, I kinda like it.  It feels like the kinds of things I'd be saying/doing/thinking in the Trek universe...
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #442 on: 12 July 2020, 16:55:43 »
I laughed a few times when I watched the trailer, and that's basically good enough for me to try the show out. The showrunner was a senior writer on Rick and Morty and used to do that TNG Season 8 twitter that was hilarious (and popular enough he got hired to write a book on the "unproduced episodes" by Pocket Books), so he's got comedy and Trek pedigree.

ThePW

• Lieutenant
  • One post down, a thousand to g... Oh we're here?
« Reply #443 on: 12 July 2020, 17:15:45 »
I dunno, I kinda like it.  It feels like the kinds of things I'd be saying/doing/thinking in the Trek universe...

The closet design I can think of, in comparison, is an Oberth-Class.

IDK about that intro. Every 4 seconds i kept expecting Rick & Morty to pop up...

I hope they don't even consider it cannon?
Even my Page posting rate is better than my KPD rate IG...

2Feb2023: The day my main toon on DDO/Cannith, an Artificer typically in the back, TANKED in a LH VoD.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #444 on: 12 July 2020, 17:27:16 »
The showrunner was a senior writer on Rick and Morty
Ah well, I didn't like Rick and Morty all THAT much.

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #445 on: 12 July 2020, 21:12:26 »
Well based on that one clip, it makes me think that 7 of 9 will be the second worst thing to ever happen to Star Trek.

Tymers Realm

• Lieutenant
« Reply #446 on: 12 July 2020, 22:18:51 »
I had seen pics of the ship already. I feel it's only slightly less ugly than the Crossfield Class. It looks like a Miranda Class, but made with Galaxy Class parts.

I couldn't really like or dislike the vid. But when I viewed it, there was 3K Likes and 3.6K Dislikes. So take that as you will.

And keep this in mind...
If this is the best animated work that is done for the Paywall, I feel sorry for the group involved in the animated project being produced for Nick. They certainly can't be any worse...

On the upside, with the ST:LD (and facepalming at the connotation...) being set in 2380, the STO Devs will have a rough time, beyond a one-shot, marketing that mess in the game...

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #447 on: 13 July 2020, 01:06:02 »
Well based on that one clip, it makes me think that 7 of 9 will be the second worst thing to ever happen to Star Trek.

Enterprise and Neelix are already things that happened, so at worst 7 of 9 could only ever get third place.

I had seen pics of the ship already. I feel it's only slightly less ugly than the Crossfield Class. It looks like a Miranda Class, but made with Galaxy Class parts.

I couldn't really like or dislike the vid. But when I viewed it, there was 3K Likes and 3.6K Dislikes. So take that as you will.

It's a new Star Trek trailer on YouTube.  It was bound to get thousands of downvotes, regardless of what was in it.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

Lorcan Nagle

• Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #448 on: 13 July 2020, 01:16:40 »

likes and dislikes on YouTube are only there to "drive enagement" with a video, all clicking either button does it make the video more popular. 

CDAT

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #449 on: 13 July 2020, 02:45:54 »
Enterprise and Neelix are already things that happened, so at worst 7 of 9 could only ever get third place.
Both of them are at least a 1000% better than 7 of 9. She is so bad I was watching all the shows, but once she showed up I have lost all will to watch Voyager. Neelix would not be my favorite but he is a super star compared to her. Enterprise also not great (changed way to many things in the canon) and T'Pol the worst of the crew from the second worst Star Trek show (Voyager is only worse because of 7 of 9). Spock was a great character as he was fresh and new, all the copies of him just fall flat.

Register