Author Topic: Orion production in late Star League era  (Read 284 times)

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Orion production in late Star League era
« on: 15 March 2024, 20:59:39 »
Hi, I've gotten into a dispute with somebody on the Sarna Discord server regarding the feasibility of the SLDF having a Royal variant of the Orion, and I would like some information to help resolve it.  Specifically, by the late Star League era, was the Orion only being produced in the FWL (as was the case by the late Succession Wars era), or were there other factories producing it, especially in Terran space?  Would Kerensky's unique Orion have been Terran- or Marik-built?  And would there be anything stopping the SLDF from buying Orions built in non-Terran factories, bringing them to Terran space, and upgrading them there?

I was always under the impression that, given its age and history of deployment with the THAF and early SLDF, the Orion became the FWL "totem" 'Mech just because the last Orion factory to survive the Succession Wars was in Marik space.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
Re: Orion production in late Star League era
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2024, 20:20:39 »
There’s no definitive answers to your questions. It’s entirely possible to retroactively introduce factories in that era, let alone variants, or any of the other situations you posit. And the “Kerensky” Orion was only used by him briefly.

In fact, we have another variant used by him coming out soon.

Can’t really help your discussion. It sounds like the other fellow is arguing with published facts, and you’re arguing “what ifs.” You’re both right, just arguing from incompatable positions.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

gyedid

• Captain
  • Always brighter on the other side of the mirror.
Re: Orion production in late Star League era
« Reply #2 on: 18 March 2024, 10:27:38 »
OK, thank you.

cheers,

Gabe
So, now I'm imagining people boxing up Overlords for loading as cargo.  "Nope, totally not a DropShip.  Everyone knows you can't fit a DropShip in a WarShip!  It's...a ten thousand ton box of marshmallows!  Yeah.  For the Heavy Guards big annual smores party."
--Arkansas Warrior, on the possibility of carrying Dropships as cargo in Warship cargo bays.

TERRAN SUPREMACY DEFENSE FORCE.  For when you want to send the SLDF, but couldn't afford the whole kit and kaboodle.