Author Topic: Redhawk WiGE  (Read 274 times)

Retry

• Lieutenant
Redhawk WiGE
« on: 17 March 2024, 19:11:41 »
Code: [Select]
Redhawk WiGE (2500)
Mass: 16 tons
Movement Type: Wing in Ground Effect
Power Plant: 100 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 118.8 kph
Maximum Speed: 183.6 kph
Armor: Standard
Armament:
     3 Medium Laser
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 2500
Tech Rating/Availability: E/C-E-D-D
Cost: 539,833 C-bills
Type: Redhawk WiGE
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Introductory)
Tonnage: 16
Battle Value: 518
Equipment Mass
Internal Structure 2
Engine 100 Fusion 4.5
     Cruising MP: 11
     Flanking MP: 17
Heat Sinks: 10 0
Control Equipment: 1
Lift Equipment: 2
Power Amplifier: 0
Turret: 0.5
Armor Factor: 48 3
Internal
Structure Armor
Value
Front 2 12
R/L Side 2/2 10/10
Rear 2 6
Turret 2 10
Weapons
and Ammo Location Critical Tonnage
3 Medium Laser Turret 3 3

Cavgunner

• Master Sergeant
Re: Redhawk WiGE
« Reply #1 on: 21 March 2024, 15:31:42 »
What is the appeal, if any, of a WiGE vs. a hovercraft?

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #2 on: 21 March 2024, 16:57:33 »
What is the appeal, if any, of a WiGE vs. a hovercraft?

One level Terrain changes are free?
« Last Edit: 22 March 2024, 08:43:21 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 21 March 2024, 16:59:10 »
You can 'fly' for short period and avoid some disadvantageous terrain that would effect hovercraft. Unfortunately you do have a minimum forward motion so a WiGE cannot stand still without landing or paying a movement premium

Sabelkatten

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 22 March 2024, 08:11:06 »
IIRC WiGEs also have bad suspension factor compared to VTOLs and are very vulnerable to motive hits.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 22 March 2024, 08:46:05 »
Hovercraft have one of the greatest suspension factors in the game.

They are also required to devote a certain percentage of their mass to their engine, which limits what you can install.
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

maxcarrion

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #6 on: 25 March 2024, 07:35:22 »
One level Terrain changes are free?

I would have to check lots of rules as I haven't played BT in years but IIRC (big caveat, IF)
 - WIGE sits somewhere in the Hover/VTOL arena with many of the advantages/disadvantages from both, I would say it was - generally - weaker than either but clutches a few specific niches and has a few interesting tricks.
 - Of the 3 it is generally the slowest (has the worst lift factor) but can be the heaviest (80T combat, 240T support) opening options that just aren't possible with Hover or VTOL
 - Under fire it is probably the worst of both worlds with the easily damaged motive systems of the hover and giving away flak bonuses like the VTOL, with a minimum speed requirement it will quickly turn itself into a turret if receiving even infantry fire.  An LB-X is death to a WIGE.

However
 - They have potentially powerful terrain handling especially compared to a hover, they can handle hills, cliffs and potentially skim over forests with far greater aplomb and hug the terrain far more easily than a VTOL
 - They have unique drop rules that allow you to drop them from orbit and (again IIRC) airborne craft and manoeuvre them to target better than even jump mechs can.
 - Lots of silly little things like a LNSV doesn't need a helipad to launch WIGE, you can build them as rapid deployment turrets which advance to combat and then stop and don't worry about their motive systems being obliterated in the first round,

Overall I think the niche for WIGE is pretty small, fast strike tanks/ifvs are probably often better as Hover, capability over all terrain you're probably better off with VTOL but sometimes WIGE is just the right choice.  Last time I designed a unit around WIGE I had an Aerodyne dropship packed full of light vehicle bays that dropped ~50T WIGE's full of BA.  It gave them unparalleled ability to get to target and long range weapons platforms to provide supporting fire but the WIGE's stayed distant using arrows and SG-LRMs while the BA used TAG to bring in fire alongside their integral weapon systems.  This wouldn't have worked with Hovers or VTOLs but it is VERY specific.

Before that I designed a 100T WIGE support vehicle that would carry 50T+ of cargo to resupply naval assets.  The main reason I didn't use a hover is that these could easily be air/orbitally dropped.

AlphaMirage

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 25 March 2024, 08:13:15 »
I used them similarly max, put in some lightweight weapons and a troop bay for special forces ops. Definitely not a line unit that said they can be pretty useful defensively to move heavy infantry into position and go back for more without having to worry as much about airborne interceptors.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 25 March 2024, 10:12:53 »
- Under fire it is probably the worst of both worlds with the easily damaged motive systems of the hover and giving away flak bonuses like the VTOL, with a minimum speed requirement it will quickly turn itself into a turret if receiving even infantry fire.  An LB-X is death to a WIGE.

I believe WiGEs have a larger modifier than Hovers, however VTOLs also have their Motive System as a Location, and that can only take 4 Hits at maximum, no matter what follow up rolls occur.

That may seem bad, but a LOT depends on terrain.  Remember WiGEs can cover hilly terrain a LOT faster than Hovers do.  WiGEs can actually move across it faster than a non-Jumping Battlemech even.  What it takes Hovers 3 MP to do, and 'Mechs 2 MP to do, WiGEs do for 1.  That's not even considering the ability to ignore big drops in Elevation that neither can do quickly, if at all.  They just can't hide behind Level 1 Terrain like Hovercraft without Landing.

Still, as you said, they can make for swift strike units.

That's just from an outside view, though.  I don't have WiGE models, so haven't run them.