Author Topic: New Vallejo Xpress Color and Game Color paints - MODEL COLOR LINE UPDATE COMING  (Read 6354 times)

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
http://www.vallejoacrylics.com/en/home/

So is anyone else looking forward to these paints?  The Xpress Colors are Vallejo's take on Contrast paints except that they're matte (and no reactivation problems) and the Game Colors have been reformulated and they've embraced the Base, Shadow, Highlight triad system.  It looks like the end of the year is going to be very expensive with these and the Kickstarter...  ;D
« Last Edit: 08 February 2024, 18:21:04 by Ghaz »

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
Re: New Vallejo Xpress Color and reformulated Game Color paints
« Reply #1 on: 02 October 2022, 15:53:23 »
ooh, nice!  I would love to get a few when they're released

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: 02 October 2022, 16:22:02 »
ooh, nice!  I would love to get a few when they're released

For a release date Vallejo is saying 'Christmas', while Juan Hidalgo (who was one of their testers) had earlier said 'Late October/Early November' (btw, Juan has a video on his YouTube channel using the Xpress Color paints).

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: 02 October 2022, 17:35:41 »
My FLGS has ordered them, just waiting for them to make it across the pond.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 02 October 2022, 17:46:09 »
My FLGS has ordered them, just waiting for them to make it across the pond.

Have they given you any idea on the prices?

dirty harry

• Lieutenant
  • Make my day
« Reply #5 on: 02 October 2022, 18:23:27 »
Will there be a comparison chart comparing old Game Colors and new Game Colors?

I have painted a lot of my minis with Vallejo's Game Colors, so i would really like to know which of the new colors would match. (e.g. the scorpion green i use seems way brighter than the scorpion green in this new list. More like Ghost green.)

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 02 October 2022, 18:46:41 »
Will there be a comparison chart comparing old Game Colors and new Game Colors?

I have painted a lot of my minis with Vallejo's Game Colors, so i would really like to know which of the new colors would match. (e.g. the scorpion green i use seems way brighter than the scorpion green in this new list. More like Ghost green.)

There is a chart on the website at http://www.vallejoacrylics.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/09/Colores-GC-2022.pdf

The old colors keep their old names and product codes so we won't know if they've changed colors due to the new formulation until someone has them in hand to test out.

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: 02 October 2022, 23:02:00 »
Have they given you any idea on the prices?

They have not.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: 05 October 2022, 14:21:02 »
I just noticed the following on the Acrylicos Vallejo Facebook page (emphasis added):
We are not aware of Vallejo prices around the world, as inland taxes, exchange currency is out of our control. We are always very competitive when compared to other brands so new Game Color prices will not differ from current available prices, and we also grant superb quality products because you deserved!

Still no news on the Xpress Colors prices.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: 24 October 2022, 15:02:31 »
Now there's news on the prices.  ACD Distribution has the reformulated Game Color paints at $3.57 each and the Xpress Color paints at $4.56 each.  Juan Hidalgo has also confirmed on Dakka Dakka that there are 20 more Xpress Colors in the works.

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #10 on: 24 October 2022, 17:30:13 »
It's about time the game color line got an update.

I'm a big fan of gel based pigment, so Scale is my current line of choice. Any indication what the chemistry of the Express line is?
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: 24 October 2022, 18:41:52 »
It's about time the game color line got an update.

I'm a big fan of gel based pigment, so Scale is my current line of choice. Any indication what the chemistry of the Express line is?

The Xpress Color line is the Vallejo equivalent of GW's Contrast paint.  Juan Hildago has done a review of the line:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hu-LOws7suU&t=5s

And here's an example of the Xpress Colors in use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXXfHzVAKuU&t=98s

Angel Giraldez has done a review of the reformulated Game Color paints.  His main takeaway (other than the Base, Shadow, Light triad system) is the longer drying time for blending:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUGRE7NtzIA

« Last Edit: 24 October 2022, 19:03:13 by Ghaz »

Bedwyr

• A Sticky Wicket
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • RIP. Again. And again. And again.
« Reply #12 on: 24 October 2022, 19:14:13 »
Thanks for the info. I've likely settled on my long-time sets but no shame in trying something new.
Alas poor Photobucket. I knew him Horatio, a fellow of infinite jest, of most excellent fancy.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: 25 October 2022, 14:48:46 »
Juan Hidalgo has posted a review of the new Game Color paints on his YouTube channel (no video):

Quote from: Juan Hidalgo
just got a full set of the New Vallejo Game Color range and I knew I had to paint something special with them. This bust by Maxime Penaud was perfect.

I believe we are in front of one of the best paints ranges in the market. They have MASSIVELY improved the range.

The main improvements are:

- Ultra Matte finish
- Exceptional coverage
- Incredible stability, can be thinned down to insanely thin glazes without breaking
- Longer working time, so you can blend them and feather them like a dream
- Incredible saturation and vibrancy

They also have, a new full set of inks including a WHITE and also an Ultra Matte varnish, not that the paints need it but it's always something great to have.

All in all, I believe that these are the best paints ever made by Vallejo.

OatsAndHall

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #14 on: 26 October 2022, 15:09:24 »
I can't wait to tinker with these. I've been using AP Speedpaint consistently with quality results. I just don't like that it has to sit or it reactivates. I'm hoping the XPress paints are a step up from Contrast, which I also use consistently.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
New Game Air Color Chart with an 'improved formula'.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
28 new Xpress Color and 8 new Xpress Color Intense paints should be coming soon (they're already listed for pre-order at ACD Distribution).

Updated Game Color Chart with the new Xpress Colors.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
OK-I'm gonna have o be "That guy" for this.

All of my area FLGS's are having issues getting stock for CURRENT Vallejo products.

YES I can find individual items online but I prefer to support my FLGS .

They order a box of a paint color at a time, and are having difficulties with distribution
and supply from Vallejo itself.

IMHO-Vallejo needs to resolve CURRENT stock issues for products that sell before being
worried about making new lines.
I'm not interested in any upcoming products when I'm still waiting on my orders of preexisting
items to make it into the country.
After they get caught up-then I might take interest.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
YouTube review of the new Xpress Color paints by Juan Hidalgo

Beautiful colors with so many of them perfectly suited for BattleTech.  I'm putting my 1st Canopian Cuirassiers on hold until I can get that Dreadnought Yellow.

As for problems getting the product, I've had no trouble getting a large chunk of the new Game Color paints but I've had to order them via eBay simly because my local shops don't carry Vallejo.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
On the Vallejo Facebook page there is mention of an updated Model Color line coming this year in the photos from Spielewarenmesse in Nuremberg.  So far, the only details are:

1. The colors are more matt than ever.
2. New r-PET bottles as used in the Game Color line and with a similar look to the labels.
3. Use of the BSL (Base, Shadow and Light} Paint System.

House Davie Merc

• Lieutenant
It would be nice if Vallejo could produce a simple bottle of paint to exactly match each type
of spray paint that they make.
You'd think that would have been done years ago but it hasn't.

For instance there is no exact bottle to match spray can 28011 Gray, one of their more
popular colors.
I think there's a few others without a match as well.

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
The Hobby Paint pamphlet has the Model Color/Game Color equivalents for the Hobby Paints.  Grey is the only one not listed with an equivalent.  Normally you would want to cover the spray paint with a matching color in any case as they may have a slightly different finish and any touch-ups could show, so simply choose a grey of your choice and give the area a thin coat of that color.
« Last Edit: 15 February 2024, 11:31:07 by Ghaz »

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
« Last Edit: 14 March 2024, 09:58:58 by Ghaz »