Author Topic: Scenario Pack: The Battle of Addicks - anyone heard of this?  (Read 4078 times)

Frabby

• Major
Back in 2013 a Sarna user named Akashi quoted what appears to be a MWDA product named "Scenario Pack: The Battle of Addicks". He said it looked like a legit canon product to him and quoted two URLs that are unfortunately long since defunct; he also said the file was available on the WizKids site for download.

Sarna doesn't seem to have an article for such a product. I am not well versed in things MWDA. Did such a scenario pack exist?
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

DarkSpade

• Major
Re: Scenario Pack: The Battle of Addicks - anyone heard of this?
« Reply #1 on: 26 April 2020, 11:34:16 »
As a product, no.   I believe that was one of the names for a series of tournament scenarios from early in the game's life.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #2 on: 26 April 2020, 13:56:59 »
It was, in fact, the very first campaign scenario for MWDA, played out in September 2002. It pitted the Highlanders under Tara Bishop against the Dragon's Fury under Danni Haag and was won by the Highlanders.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 26 April 2020, 14:08:12 »
So it was a MWDA event similar to today‘s WWEs or  GenCon events?
Were there any associated handouts? I suspect there were, as some info on Sarna is sourced to this. But without even a Sarna article, it's up in the air...
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 26 April 2020, 15:14:55 »
There were never any hand outs that I remember.  I think there was a form to send in to get your pins though?  The rules were always posted to the website.  I don't remember any kind of downloadable files either.

Man it's been awhile.  I don't think I became an envoy until they stopped doing story line tournaments outside of major events and another envoy handled those in my area.
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

roosterboy

• Site Maintenance
  • Major
  • J'accuse!
« Reply #5 on: 26 April 2020, 15:15:09 »
Yes, it was the first of the monthly campaign events WizKids held for MWDA. I'm not sure if there was any official handout that could be distributed in person for each week's event, but the info for the scenarios was published on their website.

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #6 on: 27 April 2020, 13:07:08 »
I think there was as least one of the weeks contained a specific map layout. I think I remember that campaign information being accessible through wayback machine.

Mendrugo

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Manei Tetatae
« Reply #7 on: 27 April 2020, 16:59:59 »
I seem to have stumbled across it at one point, though it’s not in my main archive.  Four linked scenarios under the heading of “Gambit: The Battle For Addicks!”
Sarna has the pdf:  https://www.sarna.net/files/download/docs/products/mwda/scenarios/addicks.pdf

3132-11-03: Gambit: The Battle for Addicks! - DropShip Down (Scenario - WizKids INN) - Addicks (RS)
3132-11-08: Gambit: The Battle for Addicks! - Reach For the Sky (Scenario - WizKids INN) - Addicks (RS)
3132-11-13: Gambit: The Battle for Addicks! - Poseidon's Fury (Scenario - WizKids INN) - Addicks (RS)
3132-11-18: Gambit: The Battle for Addicks! - Black Gold (Scenario - WizKids INN) - Addicks (RS)

(Note - the dates are purely my estimate, since the scenarios are undated.)
« Last Edit: 28 April 2020, 01:26:07 by Mendrugo »
"We have made of New Avalon a towering funeral pyre and wiped the Davion scourge from the universe.  Tikonov, Chesterton and Andurien are ours once more, and the cheers of the Capellan people nearly drown out the gnashing of our foes' teeth as they throw down their weapons in despair.  Now I am made First Lord of the Star League, and all shall bow down to me and pay homa...oooooo! Shiny thing!" - Maximillian Liao, "My Triumph", audio dictation, 3030.  Unpublished.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 28 April 2020, 02:43:27 »
So it is on Sarna after all... man that download section needs a cleanup. I swear, I had looked for the file. Ah well. Thanks Mendrugo!

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #9 on: 28 April 2020, 10:57:37 »
Nice . . . now to convert it to Chaos Campaign or even using my MWDA mini list put out a exact option.  IIRC, to be "Highlanders" or "Dragon's Fury" in these fights you had to have a majority of your points be the named faction and in these type of scenarios NOT have the opponent's faction.

For instance, the Highlander's 300 points could be-
Tara Bishop/Pack Hunter- 122 pts
BE 701 Joust- 41 pts (vet)
Hauberk Battle Armor- 27 pts (elite)
Hoverbike Squad- 14 pts (vet)
Clan Battle Armor- 17 pts Spirit Cat (elite)
DI Morgan Assault Tank-  73 pts Merc (vet)
     294 points

FREX, you could not field D014 Clan Battle Armor instead of the Hoverbike squad b/c they were a DF piece.

4000BV & 2 mechs or 5000BV & 3 mechs max, including pilot skill adjustments to reflect MWDA's combined arms necessity?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Greywind

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: 28 April 2020, 13:21:53 »
I don't think Tara Bishop in her Packhunter is legit since that was the Highlander prize for the event.

Same with Danni Haag on the Dragon's Fury side.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #11 on: 28 April 2020, 13:59:54 »
It was an example based on the Warrenborn site's Unit lists, and I threw here in b/c the four scenario descriptions had her fighting but pick another similar value mech from the Highlander list if it makes you feel better.  The point was that it would be mostly Highlanders with maybe some troops from another faction (Spirit Cats in the example) not involved and mercs to fill it out.  The Dragon's Fury Clan Battle Armor would not be appropriate as part of the Highlander's force even if the points fit.
Colt Ward

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 28 April 2020, 15:13:11 »
What is that PDF document though? Scan of a handout produced by WizKids, or a scenario booklet provided to demo agents, or something else?

As you may have gathered I want to create a Sarna article about it. But at this point I still don't have sufficient info about how those MWDA events were organized and played out?

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #13 on: 28 April 2020, 15:15:43 »
IIRC they sent out little pads of scenario info the GM could hand out.  I am not sure I have any more left, I found a box with some of my old MWDA stuff and I might have the briefing bits tucked away in a drawer . . . I am digging it out to get ready, the toddler will learn a lot of his math from my old MWDA set.
Colt Ward

DarkSpade

• Major
« Reply #14 on: 28 April 2020, 17:19:28 »
Tara was doable if you had won her at another venue first.

And I don't think they ever had requirements for your force to represent a faction.  You just told the BM who you were fighting for.

hf22

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2020, 05:41:07 »
It appears there were quite a number of these (https://web.archive.org/web/20080105112329/http://wizkidsgames.com/mechwarrior/mw_article.asp?cid=38858&frame=gameresources), not all of which are entirely recoverable from the Wayback Machine.

It also looks like there was an attempt to record at least some of the details of all the scenarios here, though it appears to exclude some of the background materials which were provided on the Website (https://www.scribd.com/document/97447783/Mw-Scenario-Handbook-v-12-A).

Did anyone ever get a complete copy of these while the Website was still in operation? It might be good to get the rest up on Sarna as well.

« Last Edit: 29 April 2020, 06:46:57 by hf22 »

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #16 on: 29 April 2020, 09:18:53 »
I think it would be interesting to set them up as BT TW table top scenario/campaigns, defaulting to Warchest system though IMO to get the real grit of the DA you need to go with old school salvage rules- IE, your AC/5 is destroyed and you did not salvage any but . . . we took a AC/2 off some ForestryMech!

But the representative combined arms nature of MWDA battles means you need to put a limit on mech numbers in each scenario.
Colt Ward

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #17 on: 29 April 2020, 16:29:25 »
There were monthly campaigns for years. Each month should have at least two different scenarios if not four. It depends upon how much time they had for playtesting the scenarios as to how many were ready.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #18 on: 23 May 2020, 14:44:58 »
I'm straining my brain here, but IIRC, that 4 scenario event would be held 1/week at your local FLGS.

So my local shop, "Game Depot", had a Tuesday Nights at 5PM? thing, IIRC.

As for the sheets themselves.

Man,  I don't recall if you got one when you walked in.   If there was just 1 for the GM running the event.  Or if there was a stack of them by the door that you could take 1 as you came/went to know when the next event was.

I think it might have been a combo of all 3.
One "Posted" by the door, 1 in the GMs hand, and 1 at each table w/ players,  IDK.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

cavingjan

• Spelunca Custos
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Major
    • warrenborn
« Reply #19 on: 24 May 2020, 12:15:30 »
There was usually a few sheets specific to the envoy. There were other sheets to be handed out to players. That changed over time as there was not as much money for organized play. That system was nice but it really drained the budget when you still had the same number of games going but less players buying boosters.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #20 on: 24 May 2020, 15:42:43 »
Yeah, well, that is the problem when every event has you buying boosters just to participate, it got crazy expensive very quickly.

And I think I still have several tool chests/boxes full of those minis.

I keep telling myself they would be great to use with the AS rules on open tables since they are too big for hex maps.

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
« Reply #21 on: 24 May 2020, 18:03:51 »
Some are not . . . and they are a great source of bits.  I have quite removing mine from bases so I can teach the kid.
Colt Ward

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #22 on: 24 May 2020, 18:15:06 »
And I think I still have several tool chests/boxes full of those minis.

Infantry & BA - definitely usable on hex maps.
Vehicles - some are, there are threads about it, at worst you use Saxons and Giggins as heavy APCs, at best the Scimitar II and Carnivore are pretty much the same size as the IWM minis.
'Mechs - usually best as sources for bitz. But the Phoenix Hawk is close enough, and the Gambit can be made into an interesting Thug proxy.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Hellraiser

• Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 24 May 2020, 18:54:46 »
Oh I use the Infantry as is, I think I have a couple debased but most the time I just throw them out with the circle on them.

When I say too big I'm referring to the size of the Mechs on their Circle base.

That is just to large hex maps.

They fit ok-ish on the 2 inch hexes on felt maps we use sometimes.

Ditto the vehicles, the tank base is just too long for normal hexes.

But I'm thinking as there are rules for hexless play that the scale would be great for nice flat space w/ 3-D terrain like a game of 40K uses.

James Bedford

• Private
  • Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!
    • OH and MD Mechwarrior group
« Reply #24 on: 19 July 2020, 06:58:20 »
I wanted to collect all of the scenarios, fluff parts only, into a PDF that people could use to read as short stories.  I've collected the first 4 so far.
Clan Spirit Cat Seyla!

Quote from: Worktroll
Face it - MW:DA had, for its run, massively greater commercial success than BattleTech's ever had. Over two million click-base minis - want to guess where the number of BT minis comes in? I'd guess on the order of a few percent of that. While BT has survived for 30 years, we've never had the same number of players at any point. The pity was that unlike BT, MW:DA ended up being run by businessmen, not game fanatics.

Register