Poll

Of the types of (print) sourcebooks described below, what would you like to see more of? (Pick TWO):

Era Reports (Contains fluff, tracks, and RPG data on a given swath of history)
131 (14%)
Historicals (Contains focused information on battles of a specific war or wars)
229 (24.4%)
Field Manuals (Contains force rosters for factions at a single historical point)
155 (16.5%)
Technical Readout (Contains stats and images for units in a given historical period)
187 (20%)
Plot Sourcebook (Contains fluff and specific rules/units for the current timeline)
215 (22.9%)
Other (Specify in your comments)
20 (2.1%)

Total Members Voted: 536

Voting closed: 02 September 2011, 19:08:05

Author Topic: What Kind of Sourcebooks Suit YOUR Fancy?  (Read 38076 times)

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
Re: What Kind of Sourcebooks Suit YOUR Fancy?
« Reply #120 on: 23 August 2011, 22:31:45 »
Well historically I loved the historicals (3039, 4th SW Atlas, Brush Wars, Civil War) the more recent ones seem to be lacking in the detail (at least the turning points).

The era reports are *almost* perfect, the 20 year update was perfect, as it listed all the units for the the factions.  The new era reports completely left that out, which *amazed* me when I was reading 3052, I was like "wtf?!?" just expecting it to be in there.  If those books had complete units I'd be *much* happier.  Well, if the era reports *or* the field manuals.

I am kinda getting sick of TROs, there are so many units now its just insane to keep up with :(

The plot books meh, War of Reaving is a great book, but I have no desire to read that much fluff... I went straight to the new rules, new maps, and unit rosters (only to see most of the clans had no rosters, hopefully those are in the new field manuals).

Give me a single year, give me all the units (preferably with a *bit* more than just quality/morale/strength, maybe a weight class/#fighters/integral DS/JS too) for that year and a good map for that year, in any book, and I'm a very happy camper :)

The HTP books are close to great, but I think they need to detail out the battles more, like the old Galtor book for example, I read all that fluff, it was all combat related, not political, I don't enjoy BT for politics, which leads me back to War of Reaving.  Heck, just picking a planet, detailing the exact units landing there, a map of the planet, some maps of where units moved and where battles were, terrain/maps for those battles, and a few pages of text on what happened at each battle would be a great $5-$10 PDF, and the possibilities I would think are infinite.

However I'm different than most players, so feel free to skip right over this :)

Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Voodoo

• Master Sergeant
  • This is your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd warning...
« Reply #121 on: 24 August 2011, 15:08:32 »
I don't think 70 pages of "They're dead" would sell well at all.  Not a lot of mercs left  at that point...

They still exist, hiding in the periphery rebuilding!  This is a fictional universe last time I checked.  However, if the devs are dead set on wiping the coolest merc units out of existence, the highlight some new ones.
Forum Miscreant...and then some.

Talz

• Sergeant
« Reply #122 on: 24 August 2011, 17:48:18 »
There are still plenty of mercenary units, some of the old standby's are gone but they're simply being replaced by the next generation.  The main thing is that the most merc units have taken a beating and are as a result smaller and evem then all of that gets tossed out the airlock if we're looking at a time jump to the 3100's.  If I could have one book right now it would be Interstellar Operations, but right behind that would be an updated Merc's Handbook+ (+meaning with gameworld/Solaris content).

Bad_Syntax

• Lieutenant
    • Battletech Engineer
« Reply #123 on: 24 August 2011, 18:01:52 »
There are still plenty of mercenary units, some of the old standby's are gone but they're simply being replaced by the next generation.  The main thing is that the most merc units have taken a beating and are as a result smaller and evem then all of that gets tossed out the airlock if we're looking at a time jump to the 3100's.  If I could have one book right now it would be Interstellar Operations, but right behind that would be an updated Merc's Handbook+ (+meaning with gameworld/Solaris content).

We had an entire BOOK on the Wolf's Dragoons, and TPTB eliminated them.

The Eridani Light Horse was mentioned in a LOT of places, it had a rich and colorful history.... no gone.  Waco Rangers, gone.  etc, etc...

In fact, it seems like all the mercs that had a deep history were eliminated, now we get some new merc unit we never heard of, and in the next book they die. 

Nobody seems to care about detailing out units anymore, now at most we seem to get perhaps some light fluff and if we are lucky a quality/morale/homeworld.
Battletech Engineer
Disclaimer:  Anything I post here, or anywhere else, can freely be used by anybody, anywhere, for any purposes without any compenstation to or recognition of myself.

Talz

• Sergeant
« Reply #124 on: 24 August 2011, 19:01:04 »
The last few years have been hard on mercs killing off some old favorites but not all.

Wolf's Dragoons got knocked down to a Regiment but built back up to three in the 3130s.
The Northwind Highlanders are still around, sure they join the RotS but that place is ready to crumble like a house of cards and drop them right back to merc status.
I think Wilson's Hussars and Snord's Irregulars are still kicking, it would be interesting to see some updates on both of them IMO.
As for the ELH, while they were effectively shattered I think they still had a couple Companies after Dieron.  It seems that they could rebuild to a Battalion or even a Regiment by 3150 unless I'm forgetting another attack.
Add in writeups on a couple of newer units like the Chaos Irregulars and there's plenty of potential.

I do agree that the newer Field Manual style of giving a few dozen units a page or so each makes the units feel more generic though and would prefer a return to the old style of a few more in-depth write-ups.

Grave

• Lieutenant
  • All Your Salvage Are Belong To Us
« Reply #125 on: 24 August 2011, 19:06:45 »
I do agree that the newer Field Manual style of giving a few dozen units a page or so each makes the units feel more generic though and would prefer a return to the old style of a few more in-depth write-ups.

The problem is that Catalyst has said quite clearly that those in depth manuals (despite the fact that everyone seems to love them [so do I]) simply don't sell.

Conundrum, check.

Yea, it really is that fast....

Talz

• Sergeant
« Reply #126 on: 24 August 2011, 19:15:25 »
The problem is that Catalyst has said quite clearly that those in depth manuals (despite the fact that everyone seems to love them [so do I]) simply don't sell.

I was under the impression that was more applicable to products focused on a single unit and such, not product's like the Mercenary's Handbooks which still covered several units as well as including crunch on creating and running merc campaigns.

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • I'm feeling a little sketchy...
« Reply #127 on: 24 August 2011, 19:53:16 »
They still exist, hiding in the periphery rebuilding!  This is a fictional universe last time I checked.  However, if the devs are dead set on wiping the coolest merc units out of existence, the highlight some new ones.

What new ones?  Between the Jihad, the merging of the AMC into the nascent Republic and the Stone Reforms getting 'Mechs out of private hands, where they going to come from?   Other than some of the private-industry armies like Bannson's Raiders, I don't recall a whole lot of references to mercenaries *at all* in the Dark Age books. 

"They're dead, Jim"

Any Merc books/unit profiles are likely something that will end up being relegated to PDF-only products, where a small unit can be detailed more thoroughly without having to expend the money on a print run.
"This is a war universe. War all the time. That is its nature.
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Dread Moores

• Captain
« Reply #128 on: 24 August 2011, 20:08:44 »
Other than some of the private-industry armies like Bannson's Raiders, I don't recall a whole lot of references to mercenaries *at all* in the Dark Age books.

There are some, but you're absolutely right that they are far less common. Patriot's Stand had the...Roughriders I think? The Dragoons and a few others were mentioned on some of the info from the Wizkids site, though not in the novels that I recall.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #129 on: 24 August 2011, 20:25:41 »
I went with Era Reports and Historicals.  As much as I love new units and Technical Readouts, but there just too many of them right now.  I'd like see them wait couple years until they come out with another major one.  Too much of a good thing can be bad thing to me.

I agree with the others above with comments that Era Reports are skipping on alot of detail information.  I wanted more out of the Age of War book myself, though i can understand budget contraints products are under.  I can only hope that future Historicals are able cover aspects of the era.  I personnally thought that Era Digest was better product in comparison myself.

Single plot books and Field Manuals, have their place in the future, its just pacing is so crazy right now.  I'd like see things more spread out, so it doesn't exhaust everyone.  I know my wallet is nearly exhausted with so many big ticket and exciting things coming out so rapidly... #P  ;) 
« Last Edit: 01 September 2011, 11:45:09 by Wrangler »
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Talz

• Sergeant
« Reply #130 on: 24 August 2011, 21:53:21 »
Don't buy the RotS anti-merc propaganda, below are just a few of the references from MWDA material.

Ghost War - Set in the RotS with mercs, mentions special charter needed to form mercs in RotS.

By Temptations and War - Mercs working for the CapCon

Truth and Shadows, Service for the Dead - Farrell's Mercs working in the RotS (they had worked for Bannson in the past but were independent)

Patriot's Stand - Roughriders on Galatea, it's mentioned that their price is high but maybe not too high in today's busy market.  There were of course other mercs such as the ones that got hired as well.

Fortress of Lies - Mercs hired for a raid on Shensi.

Blood of the Isle - Mercs from Galatea hired and mentions local rebellions on a half dozen worlds backed by mercs hired on Galatea.  Shipil keeps a merc force under contract.

Scorpion Jar - Elements of the Eridani Light Horse are hired.

Sword of Sedition - Capellans attack St Andre with heavy mercenary support.  Capellans mercs attack on New Hessen.  FedSuns mercs battle Combine troops on Misery.

Target of Opportunity - Bannson's mercs

Fortress Republic - Merc units battle against the Dragon's Fury on Ronel.

Wolf Hunters - Steel Wolves change names and become the Wolf Hunters.

Bonfire of Worlds - Wolf Hunters hired, talk of hiring other mercs, mixed reports on the Kell Hounds, definately shattered but possible survivors, seems to be only one Kell left though.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2011, 08:50:28 by Talz »

hellghost

• Recruit
« Reply #131 on: 25 August 2011, 08:41:11 »
Well historically I loved the historicals (3039, 4th SW Atlas, Brush Wars, Civil War) the more recent ones seem to be lacking in the detail (at least the turning points).

The era reports are *almost* perfect, the 20 year update was perfect, as it listed all the units for the the factions.  The new era reports completely left that out, which *amazed* me when I was reading 3052, I was like "wtf?!?" just expecting it to be in there.  If those books had complete units I'd be *much* happier.  Well, if the era reports *or* the field manuals.
However I'm different than most players, so feel free to skip right over this :)
It's an opinion that i Share.
When i read ERA REPORT:3052 the fact that all the history is resumed in 20 pages seems to me that was too short.After Just only the GREAT battles are (shortly) described. Tukkayid for example didn't have a detailled description as a Battle report.my latest reserves about the book is that haven't enough regiment description.But it remains a nice book.

Sid

• Lieutenant
« Reply #132 on: 25 August 2011, 11:42:38 »
It's an opinion that i Share.
When i read ERA REPORT:3052 the fact that all the history is resumed in 20 pages seems to me that was too short.After Just only the GREAT battles are (shortly) described. Tukkayid for example didn't have a detailled description as a Battle report.my latest reserves about the book is that haven't enough regiment description.But it remains a nice book.

The ERA Reports, I believe, are supposed to be summaries directed at new players.  I seem to recall TPTB saying as much- that Report 3050, when it came out, wasn't meant for the older players that were familiar with the timeline.  It's a 'Cliff notes' of sorts, to help catch new players up to the current timeline without having to read the old novels, or chase down old scenario books.

Essentially one path that someone could take-

New player tries game with the free quick strike rules on the website. 
If interested, the player picks up the Box Set.
From there, get TRO:3039
Total Warfare
TRO:3050U and Era Reports: 3052
TRO:3060 and Era Reports: 3060
TRO:3067 and Jihad Books

I don't think it's coincidence that ERA: Reports 3060 came out with the TRO3060 was republished around the same time.

If a new player likes 3050, he or she can grab the scenario books for that Era as PDFs.

Or they can go sword and dragon and get into Historical: 3039

Formerly known as 'Phad'

Tressel

• Sergeant
« Reply #133 on: 26 August 2011, 05:13:35 »
I would like to see more field manuals along the lines of the old CJF and CW sourcebooks. It really fleshes out the units and gives more character.

Voodoo

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #134 on: 26 August 2011, 18:53:47 »
I'm glad to see other who are interested in a Merc's Handbook.  As far as making something that sells, if the success of the 25th anniv. box set is any indication, a Citytech 3rd edition box set with plastic clan minis would do very well.  So would a Solaris update...with more plastic minis!  Personally, I loved the old merc scenario packs, and am buying up the old ones I don't have.  I'd love to see some new ones...with some fiction/paperback support.

StoneGiant

• Master Sergeant
  • CLAN WIND SHRIMP
« Reply #135 on: 27 August 2011, 00:14:27 »
I would like to see more field manuals along the lines of the old CJF and CW sourcebooks. It really fleshes out the units and gives more character.
Those two were some of my favorite books as well. I also really enjoyed the handbook series and have tried to read the old text only Housebooks on this website but I hate reading scans of a book on a computer screen, especially sans art. Too bad copies of those in decent shape tend to be pricey. (I still think it was cool to release them for free minus the problematic art, despite my dislike of the format. I suppose I could always print them and stop complaining)
555th Prawn Grenadiers, Tempura Galaxy, Scampi Cluster, Gumbo Super Nova, Risotto Trinary, Creole Star.

Ratwedge

• Lieutenant
« Reply #136 on: 27 August 2011, 02:04:06 »
What kind of Source books suit my fancy?

TRO's and Plot books

TRO: Prototype was brilliant and so were the XTRO's.  It added a focusing lens to the TROs without taking away anything from it but added the right amount of flavour to the TRO. The only problem was that I would have enjoyed XTRO: Clans more if it came out before the TRO:Prototypes. Don't get me wrong there was nothing wrong with it but part of the fun of the XTRO's was seeing what made it to next stage of development/deployment, much like how the Phalanx went from zero to hero. So bring out TRO's with more specific focuses instead of giant blobs of units. 

Plot Books are needed because I want more plot, enough to drown me in plot! I want to see how the people have changed since the we last got a look and what the Successor States and Clans have evolved to!

Marwynn

• Major
« Reply #137 on: 27 August 2011, 02:31:07 »
I love it all, honestly.

What I would like to see is an Era Report + TRO combination. TRO 3050 and 3055 are essential companions in understanding ER: 3052. So why not a combined product?

Take an important year, fill out the background, and then have a concentrated TRO at the back. Say there's an Era Report: 3059 which combines the basics (and some finer points) of Operation Bulldog but also features the new OmniMechs as well as the other Houses' new 'Mechs at the back. I don't mean just a handful of stuff, an even split. I'd love to read a TRO entry for say the Sunder SD1-O assault Omni and find under Notable Pilots Some Dudeson who is also on p.111 with that full character treatment you guys do, which mentions an operation that is summarized in the book too.

I know you guys are practically drowning in 'Mech designs, and all the variants thereof, so a TRO may not be that high a priority. And it'll be hard to include all the factions, but I feel it's a must, as a "slice of history" kind of thing (and also for greater sales opportunities).

Case in point, the potential Wars of Reaving Supplemental could include a more detailed TRO second half of all the machines used in that period.

Voodoo

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #138 on: 27 August 2011, 07:02:53 »
Yes, we are drowning in TRO's.  Furthermore, I cant say I've been very impressed with anything after 3058.  The combo era report/TRO sounds good actually, I'd buy it.

Ratboy

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Master Sergeant
« Reply #139 on: 27 August 2011, 15:28:11 »
Faction Books: I believe we need to flesh out more of the minor powers and mercenary units (even the ones who in the current timeline are extinct). I would love to see more regimental paint schemes included in faction books for all types of units from infantry to warships.

Plot books: More story lines for more battles. It's just a good idea IMO.

I would also love to see not just stats for Battletech, but Quick Strike and A Time of War as well included in books that have units in them.
Jim Williamson - CDT Agent #206
NJ, USA

foxbat

• Tunnel Rat
  • Global Moderator
  • Captain
    • classicbattletech.fr
« Reply #140 on: 30 August 2011, 05:46:06 »
Historicals. 3 years (or more?) later, I'm still under the spell of "Brushwars". Incredible awesomeness!  [rockon]
Hanse Davion is my shepherd.
We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender! Winston Churchill, June 1940

RavensPsi

• Corporal
« Reply #141 on: 30 August 2011, 21:24:18 »
I chose Field Manuals and Histroicals. Maybe even a combo type thing.

http://ourbattletech.com/
Clan Snow Ravens Psi Galaxy "Nevermore"

Talz

• Sergeant
« Reply #142 on: 31 August 2011, 08:45:35 »
Regarding TRO's, I would personally like to see all of the canon units that have seen print and official stats but aren't in any TRO entries collected and put into a TRO.  Print or even PDF only either one would work here IMO.

wackrabbit

• CamoSpecs
  • Lieutenant
  • Who wants some, Doc?
« Reply #143 on: 01 September 2011, 09:27:15 »
I'd like to see a new CamoSpecs booklet, but I might be a little biased... [rockon]
If you always do what you've always done, you will always get what you've always got

Wraithcannon

• Master Sergeant
  • Oh boy, here I go killing again!
« Reply #144 on: 02 September 2011, 00:43:35 »
A print version of the MUL with all era's to date.
Whomever said violence isn't a solution obviously wasn't using enough.

Planning an operation against the Capellans? Hey, who wouldn't? - Sulla

JamesPryde

• Corporal
  • Star Captain James Pryde
« Reply #145 on: 02 September 2011, 03:53:43 »
I'm not sure what it would fall into but to get a book that would expand the "tournament leagal" equipment and more things like lifepaths would be great.
Star Captain James Pryde
Black Eagle Trinary

Major "Jumpin'" Jack Damien
Jack's Jesters

CDT #1186

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #146 on: 02 September 2011, 05:11:46 »
I'm not sure what it would fall into but to get a book that would expand the "tournament leagal" equipment

You mean like TRO:3085?
There may be other universes based on all sorts of other principles, but ours seems to be based on war and games."

-- William S. Burroughs

Charlie Tango

• Moderator Emeritus
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #148 on: 03 September 2011, 16:35:47 »
I thought that was in Prototypes, not 3085?

My bad you're correct.

-- William S. Burroughs

HABeas2

• Grand Vizier
  • Major
« Reply #149 on: 03 September 2011, 19:38:54 »
Hello,

Thank you all for participating in this Catalyst Game Labs BattleTech Line Developer-aided Public Opinion Research Activity. The polls are now closed, and this discussion thread will be locked.

Thank you,

- Herbert Beas
  BattleTech
  Catalyst Game Labs

Register