Author Topic: (Answered) CASE question for combat vehicles  (Read 3164 times)

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
(Answered) CASE question for combat vehicles
« on: 20 December 2017, 11:32:05 »
Hello all,

I am curious as to why BT TechManual PDF CAT 35002 2007-2013 The Topps Company, Inc. Corrected Third Printing Published by Catalyst Game Lab p. 210 automatically place CASE in Inner Sphere Combat and Support Vehicles body and does not allow the system to be installed in a turret.

The M1 Abrams' ammo storage compartment is located on the rear of the turret which has a damage control system that has blowout panels and a blast door that deflects the over pressure of an ammo explosion away from the crew area. This system per the CASE fluff seems to be one of "..., its earliest progenitors...".

I keeping my fingers crossed, after typing of course, that I have posted this subject in the right forum location.
« Last Edit: 24 December 2017, 23:28:35 by Xotl »
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: CASE question for combat vehicles
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2017, 23:28:28 »
The rules for CASE on vehicles (TW p. 194) says to apply the damage directly to the rear armor; where it came from doesn't matter.  Also, all ammunition is presumed to be in the Body anyway (TM p. 107), so putting CASE in the turret wouldn't do anything if it were allowed.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #2 on: 25 December 2017, 00:27:03 »
Evening Xotl,

The rules for CASE on vehicles (TW p. 194) says to apply the damage directly to the rear armor; where it came from doesn't matter.  Also, all ammunition is presumed to be in the Body anyway (TM p. 107), so putting CASE in the turret wouldn't do anything if it were allowed.

Thank you for the reply and the presumption of having ammo in the vehicles body as shown not to be true in the real world by the M1 Abrams. Of course off the top on my head that is the only tank I can think of that stores ammo in the rear of the turret.

While looking for information on the Abrams' blowout panels I stumbled on a video clip showing ammo cooking off, I think the over pressure was directed out the top of the storage compartment. Of course I now cannot find the clip.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

snrdg091012

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 26 December 2017, 19:31:35 »
The only BT unit that specifies the location of the engine/power plant that I have seen is on the Mech Record Sheet Critical Hits Table. Having the CASE system direct the ammo detonation over-pressure out the back is the best solution.

There is no clear location for the engine/power plant on the record sheets for the other units in BT. Based on my knowledge from books on military equipment and Internet searches my default location for the engine/power plant is on the rear of the tank. If ammo and CASE or in the body based on my knowledge that most tanks have their engine/power plant in the rear of the chassis the CASE would blow out the side.

Over simplification for play ability in my opinion is an issue.

Oh, well since I don't have a group or opportunity to play in a tournament the rule does not mean much.

Thank you again Xotl for your reply.
Tom R (aka snrdg091012)

Register