Author Topic: Mercenaries Kickstarter Discussion 6: the 1st 3rd Star League conversation  (Read 62479 times)

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer
If real, I dont think it's for me, but I am amused by with. In the life of Battletech I've accepted that not EVERY mech is going to be for me. Just...dont buy it if you dont want it. There'll be others down the line. Dont piss in someone else's cheerios because you PERSONALLY dont want it.

I agree with this, but to a certain point. I believe most of the people have a valid complaint here, as Urbanmech LAM was nothing but a meme and a joke, while there are actual mechs completely without a miniature or waiting for an update in aesthetics and plastic.

I personally I am not one of these people, as the mechs I was interested in got updated in Clan Invasion kickstarter.

But I do have selfish reason why I am against this release, if it is real thing and not a prank.

Randall Bills has used almost every opportunity in the live con videos and podcasts for the last few months to mention how he has pushed for Shilone ASF to be distributed to every Clan Invasion backer.

It has been a known situation since Shilone was announced that it was distributed only to backers that participated in Wave 2 and a limited number of Wave 1 backers in US, Canada and UK. Rest of the Wave 1 backers got shafted. Randall himself addressed this in one of the updates in Clan Invasion kickstarter, said that CGL will look into how to distribute Shilone to every backer. Since then not a pip on this.

Here we have CGL spending money and resources on a meme/joke and previously spent money on resin art pieces for whatever reason, instead of sending out Shilone ASF to the several hundreds of Wave 1 Clan Invasion backers that didn't get it. (actual number unknown, CGL knows how many backers they had for each wave)

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
I'm honestly surprises this is drawing heat considering how popular the meme has been on this same forum. Once again speaking as someone who has never been a fan of the meme, everyone needs to relax. It's knee jerk reactions like this that killed battlechat.
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

Rob Bendig

• Private
New players who buy this without understanding that it's not something they can immediately use on the table (at least without purchasing an additional, expensive book) will be left disappointed.

To that point, the Shilone and Visigoth Salvage Packs are really not immediately usable on the table either. Granted there are rules if you go deep enough but they aren't going to be apparent to the new player.

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
To that point, the Shilone and Visigoth Salvage Packs are really not immediately usable on the table either. Granted there are rules if you go deep enough but they aren't going to be apparent to the new player.

They're not sold on the mass market. The Urbie LAM pack will be. Big difference.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

shivanwurm

• Lieutenant
Ray has been talking on discord and saying these probably are not a game store product. They will most likely be CGL store and should be considered as the same category as the aerospace fighters game and availability wise
« Last Edit: 07 March 2024, 17:39:23 by shivanwurm »

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
Ray has been talking on discord and saying these probably are not a game store product. They will most likely be CGL store and should be considered as the same category as the aerospace fighters game and availability wise

That alone changes my opinion on the pack. I still think the joke is outplayed, but if they're meant for the more-experienced crowd and won't be disappointing gifts for kids, then I've got less problem with them.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

MarauderCH IIC

• Warrant Officer
I'm honestly surprises this is drawing heat considering how popular the meme has been on this same forum. Once again speaking as someone who has never been a fan of the meme, everyone needs to relax. It's knee jerk reactions like this that killed battlechat.

It's getting heat because the list of units I want to see in plastic is LOOOOOOOOOONG and this unit isn't on it. I'll still buy one but there could have been and endless number of units I'd buy more than one of!

Ghaz

• Lieutenant
It's getting heat because the list of units I want to see in plastic is LOOOOOOOOOONG and this unit isn't on it. I'll still buy one but there could have been and endless number of units I'd buy more than one of!

There's nothing saying that another 'Mech or Force Pack was cut so they could produce the UrbanMech LAM Salvage Box.  Some 'Mechs like the Hornet just won't ever make the cut to be produced in glorious grey plastic.  Personally, I'm just hoping to see the Bombardier, Champion and Hussar in plastic so I can finish my Snord's Irregulars First Company  :wink:

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?

Morbius was a popular meme.  Doesn't mean people actually wanted to see the movie.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

DarkSpade

• Major
In regards to the "this is dumb, I wanted something else," this doesn't mean you won't get what you want.   If anything, convincing Catalyst that this is a bad idea could actually make it less likely you'll get what you want.

Think about it.  You don't want someone to go, "Hey, this mech is quirky, but has a lot of loyal fans, why don't we put up a web exclusive or something for it?" and then have someone higher up say, "Oh heck no!  Do you remember all the complaints we got when we didn't that urbie LAM? Forget about it, and do another Madcat."
Space Marines are guys who look at a chainsaw and think, “That should be balanced for parrying.”

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
In regards to the "this is dumb, I wanted something else," this doesn't mean you won't get what you want.   If anything, convincing Catalyst that this is a bad idea could actually make it less likely you'll get what you want.

Think about it.  You don't want someone to go, "Hey, this mech is quirky, but has a lot of loyal fans, why don't we put up a web exclusive or something for it?" and then have someone higher up say, "Oh heck no!  Do you remember all the complaints we got when we didn't that urbie LAM? Forget about it, and do another Madcat."

Please - PLEASE - do not tell people they're not allowed to voice their opinions.

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
I didn't want something else, I wanted this to not be a thing because I hate this tired played out stupid meme.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

RazorclawXLS

• Warrant Officer

On the other hand they can go "Hey people like buying stuff based on stupid memes and jokes, lets do another one like that.", pushing something else, more worthwhile game-wise that people are looking for, further down the pipeline and later in timeline.(hopefully).

SteelRaven

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Fight for something or Die for nothing
    • The Steel-Raven at DeviantArt
... it's weird that I've have vocally disliked the meme and apparently one of those most chill about this... I mean, the Mimic Outhouse has a mini...
Battletech Art and Commissions
http://steel-raven.deviantart.com

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
... it's weird that I've have vocally disliked the meme and apparently one of those most chill about this... I mean, the Mimic Outhouse has a mini...

Until I see a GAZEBO Mini....
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

General308

• Captain
So here is my take on the Urbie LAM.  I don't want to here from TPTB any mor that LAMS don't belong in the game.  You can only remove them and bring them back so many times till you look like you are full of it.  You can only tease so many times.  At this point after TPTB removing them and then bring them back again that argument no longer fits with the reality of TPTB's actions.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?

Who produced that mini, though?

So here is my take on the Urbie LAM.  I don't want to here from TPTB any mor that LAMS don't belong in the game.  You can only remove them and bring them back so many times till you look like you are full of it.  You can only tease so many times.  At this point after TPTB removing them and then bring them back again that argument no longer fits with the reality of TPTB's actions.

That's another part of this that annoys me.  If they want to bring LAMS back, then do so.  Don't resurrect them with a lol-meme product that looks like an April Fool's gag.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Charistoph

• Major
That's another part of this that annoys me.  If they want to bring LAMS back, then do so.  Don't resurrect them with a lol-meme product that looks like an April Fool's gag.

And we're 3 1/2 weeks till that comes in.

It kind of makes me wonder, how much did the Pandaria joke cost Blizzard over the life of Warcraft?  From the Mercenary Hero in The Frozen Throne to Mists of Pandaria itself.  I wonder how many were cursing the joke team from so long ago.
« Last Edit: 07 March 2024, 22:38:08 by Charistoph »
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

General308

• Captain
Who produced that mini, though?

This is like the 3rd LAMS have been brought back.  FASA did it in a story once and CGL has done it twice now.  The LAMS don't belong in the universe is a Lie at this point and that is them that people are going to demand more LAMS and tell them they are wrong when they say LAMS don't belong.  Because they keep bring them back by choice.

klarg1

• Captain
Until I see a GAZEBO Mini....

I’m pretty sure that exists in both monstrous and mundane form.

Psycho

• CamoSpecs
  • Captain
This is like the 3rd LAMS have been brought back.  FASA did it in a story once and CGL has done it twice now.  The LAMS don't belong in the universe is a Lie at this point and that is them that people are going to demand more LAMS and tell them they are wrong when they say LAMS don't belong.  Because they keep bring them back by choice.

Yeah, that ends up being the sticking point for me. I mean, how many people would lose their freaking minds over a LAM pack? Instead of some really great looking P-Hawk, Wasp, and Stinger LAMs, we get... an Urbie.

That being said, I have no knowledge of anything that may be happening behind the scenes, so I'm at the same level as everyone else only able to speculate based on the image seen earlier.

BrianDavion

• Captain
In discord Ray said the thing holding LAMs back is the same thing holding aerospace plastic minis in general back, dissatification with the aerospace rules
The Suns will shine again

Atlas3060

• ugh this guy again
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Just some rando
I really hope all the complaints here doesn't lead to Catalyst no longer trying fun things like this again. That would be a much greater lose in the long run than a little dev time spent on something silly (and fun).
Personally I don't think the complaints will weigh too much on their minds, as others said: sales is the king.
So if it sells well, nice.
Besides they let Herb run loose on Apr 1 at times with fun releases, they won't stop with the fun.
It's not about winning or losing, no it's all about how many chapters have you added to the rule books after your crazy antics.

Doc Swift

• Freelance Writer
  • Warrant Officer
  • COMING SOON to Amazon!
    • My Amazon Author page

I guess I missed the hate for Laser Anti-Missile Systems.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • Need a hand?
They generate too much heat. :tongue:

Adrian Gideon

• BattleTech Developer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • BattleTech Line Developer
So, a few points on the Urbie LAM.
  • It’s 100% non-canon.
  • It’s real and a joke.
  • I hear you, those of you that don’t like it or raise issues with it. I fought that fight. The meme won. We’re in the minority. That’s ok.
  • The Urbie salvage box SOLD like crazy. So did the lance pack. So did the company pack. Let’s not forget the plushie. You don’t have to like it. But any money towards BattleTech means more money toward things we do want.
  • This concept was first released during the Clan Invasion KS on April Fools, and there was an overwhelming demand for this mini to be made.
  • Side note, this is not a sign that LAMs are on the way. There was never a “Phoenix Hawk vs. Urbie” LAM question.
If you appreciate how I’m doing, send me a tip: ko-fi.com/rayarrastia
fb.com/battletechgame
@CGL_BattleTech

HeavyArmorMecha

• Master Sergeant
Hi, it's been a long time since I catch up...

What's the latest forecast on shipment? Summer?

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
*Mod Notice*

Mods, can we get the LAM discussion off into its own thread? I mean, the Urbie LAM was one thing (and it’s not even part of the Merecnaries KS), but it looks like we’re gonna get into a whole LAM thing and it doesn’t belong here. Thanks.

Per Ray’s request, discussion of LAMs in general has been split off from this discussion: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=84295.0
« Last Edit: 08 March 2024, 17:55:47 by ActionButler »
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
So, a few points on the Urbie LAM.
  • It’s 100% non-canon.
  • It’s real and a joke.
  • I hear you, those of you that don’t like it or raise issues with it. I fought that fight. The meme won. We’re in the minority. That’s ok.
  • The Urbie salvage box SOLD like crazy. So did the lance pack. So did the company pack. Let’s not forget the plushie. You don’t have to like it. But any money towards BattleTech means more money toward things we do want.
  • This concept was first released during the Clan Invasion KS on April Fools, and there was an overwhelming demand for this mini to be made.
  • Side note, this is not a sign that LAMs are on the way. There was never a “Phoenix Hawk vs. Urbie” LAM question.

Roger, Ray. Thanks for weighing in.

HeavyArmorMecha

• Master Sergeant
Weird, why is my question about shipment moved to the LAM thread?

Unless the mods want to ship me a LAM box, which I more than welcome...