Author Topic: Direct Neural Interface and MUL  (Read 2176 times)

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
Direct Neural Interface and MUL
« on: 27 December 2017, 13:42:16 »
hi there. While Flipping pages trough the AS Companion I found the direct neural interface (dni) special ability. As a Word of Blake player, specially shadow divisions, I went to the MUL to see if the celestial series cards came with this special. But none of the cards have it, nor is a way to add it and have the unit PV affected by it.

This is left outside because of the "only for flavor" treatment of the cybernetics implants?

Edit: sorry. This post was meant to be in the ALPHA STRIKE section. Could a modder move it to the right subforum?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: 27 December 2017, 14:14:18 by OpacusVenatori »
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Maelwys

• Major
Re: Direct Neural Interface and MUL
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2017, 14:15:24 »
I'd guess its because the DNI (on the Mech) is more of a fluff piece at the point that everything was stat'd, rather than being something that had actual rules.

Empyrus

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2017, 14:18:12 »
DNI is something of a special case in BT, standard or Alpha Strike.
It is very much an optional rule, by default no 'Mech, Celestial or otherwise, is assumed to have it (and Interface Cockpit has the benefits baked in, i think). This is because if a 'Mech has DNI controls, it can't be controlled conventionally. So, case-by-case.
Don't recall if DNI has effect in AS. If it does, presumably balancing is up to GM.

EDIT
I'd guess its because the DNI (on the Mech) is more of a fluff piece at the point that everything was stat'd, rather than being something that had actual rules.
DNI cockpit has actually no effect on construction rules (except cost), but the implant provides, when used with DNI-equipped cockpit, pretty good bonuses in standard BT.

Maelwys

• Major
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2017, 16:28:45 »
EDITDNI cockpit has actually no effect on construction rules (except cost), but the implant provides, when used with DNI-equipped cockpit, pretty good bonuses in standard BT.

Sure, but when the Celestials were designed, there wasn't really a defined "DNI" for the mech itself, it was mostly defined by the pilot having the implant.

JadedFalcon

• Lieutenant
  • Wins at Battleteching
« Reply #4 on: 27 December 2017, 22:18:08 »
The Celestials should probably have a DN special. Right now, only the Parash 3 and the Skinwalker/Ryoken III have the DN special.

The Errata Discussion thread or the MUL Feedback thread would be the best place to ask why none of the Word of Blake mechs have the DN special.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 27 December 2017, 23:12:01 »
IMO, add DN to any unit you want to use DNI with, and the cost is the same as lowering the unit's skill by 1.  (the "drawback" of a fire control critical hit causing crew stunned is so unlikley to be effectively nothing.)
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

OpacusVenatori

• Master Sergeant
  • Honor above all, Except of Vengance
« Reply #6 on: 28 December 2017, 09:20:47 »
IMO, add DN to any unit you want to use DNI with, and the cost is the same as lowering the unit's skill by 1.  (the "drawback" of a fire control critical hit causing crew stunned is so unlikley to be effectively nothing.)

Thanks. I also think that this should be the way to resolve the issue. Now I'll update my Opacus Venatori AS cards.
While some fight with honor, Others win battles

Register