Author Topic: Forum members expectations of moderation (from the Goodbye thread)  (Read 24992 times)

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
Re: Forum members expectations of moderation (from the Goodbye thread)
« Reply #150 on: 24 October 2012, 12:44:09 »
I shall press the limits of my confectionary skills.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Paul

• dies a lot at the Solaris Melee Challenge!
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #151 on: 24 October 2012, 13:09:55 »
Posting links to material that violates the rules results in sanctions being applied. I've had it happen to me already, I'm not going there again.

Yes, but you're linking to stuff on this forum. If it's still up, it doesn't violate the rules, or it went unnoticed. If the latter, and if it results in sanctions, I very much doubt you'll be acted upon.
I guess people want specific examples to support an argument, or otherwise are prone to dismiss the argument. I mean, I suppose they could accept your assertion on your authority alone, but I guess they're not prepared to do so.
The solution is just ignore Paul.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Konrad ' Hengist " Littman Highlander 732b
« Reply #152 on: 24 October 2012, 14:06:58 »
I shall press the limits of my confectionary skills.

Can you make them gluten free?
Lyran Commonwealth,6th Donegal Guards-Nightstar
Marian Hegemony, II Legio-Cataphract
Clan Hell's Horses, Gamma Galaxy-Summoner
Clan Grinch goat- gamma goat.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #153 on: 24 October 2012, 14:19:34 »
Can you make them gluten free?
I'd hated to be punished for gluten.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #154 on: 24 October 2012, 14:22:55 »
I'd hated to be punished for gluten.

I spelled it wrong again...didn't I? Oh well.

Wolflord

• Major
  • Look Ma! I have enough posts for a time jump!
« Reply #155 on: 24 October 2012, 15:05:06 »
I've had 4 Warnings, and 4 posts Deleted.   :-\

On the other hand I've had no warnings and 1 post deleted, it is simply not an absolute correlation.

I'm dyslexic, I don't get it, explain please?

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #156 on: 24 October 2012, 15:13:24 »
No, I was trying to riff off of the phrase 'glutton for punishment'.

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #157 on: 24 October 2012, 16:15:58 »
One more pun like that and I dessert
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

Sulla

• CGL Media Design & Production
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Warrant Officer
  • Death Before Dispossessed
« Reply #158 on: 24 October 2012, 16:49:11 »
No, I was trying to riff off of the phrase 'glutton for punishment'.

Take it to Off Topic or the MW Hall boards, please.
BattleTech! Studly caps! Shadowrun! No studly caps! No spaces!

"...reading is about what goes in your mind, not your hand." -Roosterboy

"BattleTech does not map to the real world, it's BattleTech." -Welshman

Stormfury

• Major
  • Death couldn't stop me. How will you?
« Reply #159 on: 24 October 2012, 18:53:53 »
Yes, but you're linking to stuff on this forum. If it's still up, it doesn't violate the rules, or it went unnoticed. If the latter, and if it results in sanctions, I very much doubt you'll be acted upon.

Given that I know I reported them and have mentioned some examples here, they cannot have gone unnoticed. But since I was issued a Warning for saying the exact same things or posting in a less confrontational manner, I know that they do violate the rules. As for the last? Given how unevenly the rules have been applied to me in the past, I am seriously unwilling to provide any further reason for Warnings to be handed to me. Especially since it would be inarguable that I knew the material in question was considered offensive, yet I went ahead and linked to it any way.

I guess people want specific examples to support an argument, or otherwise are prone to dismiss the argument. I mean, I suppose they could accept your assertion on your authority alone, but I guess they're not prepared to do so.

And yet I am supposed to take it on faith when the situation is reversed? Especially since the removal of posts that result in a Warning means that they cannot be offered up as proof, putting those of us saying that there is a double standard in play into a situation where it cannot be demonstrated no matter what?

I haven't seen anyone use that accusation in this thread, let alone repeatedly.

Correct me if this paraphrasing is incorrect: Your opinion is that the moderators are not doing their jobs adequately because you perceive that they allow certain posters to break the rules more than you.

Did you ask the person if they got a warning? And, of course, if they said "no," how can you be certain they
are being honest? Some people might not admit to having received a warning. To my knowledge, the Mods
do not post that they warned someone publicly. All warnings I have ever received were through PM. It is
entirely possible those posts *DID* get a warning, but the poster had not received 3 warnings in the last
year, so did not get a week+ ban.

You know, that's hard. Not because of who you are or who we are, but because, unavoidably, you aren't unbiased and are heavily invested in your view of the situation. Which is to be expected, but as all of our minds can change history to conform to our worldview, it is difficult for third parties to rely on vague assertions. Perhaps some links to these examples might be a better way to prove you point. Otherwise it's back to a he said/mod said argument that is heavily tied with the reputations of the parties involved.

You have repeat that over and over, but that doesn't make it true. We even had another person testifying that he got warned but his post wasn't removed.

Be honest...

In so many words? Maybe not. In effect? Yes.
« Last Edit: 24 October 2012, 19:07:49 by Stormfury »
Mordin Solus: We need a plan to stop them.
John Shepard: We fight or we die. That's the plan.
Ashley Williams: Wow. That's the plan? Is it just me, or did Shepard have better plans before he died?
Urdnot Wrex: Silence! This is the best plan anyone, anywhere has ever had!
Garrus Vakarian: Yes! I AM SO THERE I AM THERE ALREADY!
Tali'Zora vas Normandy: *Facepalm*

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #160 on: 24 October 2012, 19:17:38 »
Hey all,

We do seem to be circling around on the same arguments again, so I'm going to go ahead and draw the discussion to a close. I'm going to lock the thread at around midnight tonight (Wednesday). Hopefully that will allow anyone to get in final thoughts (not zingers! Keep it respectful).

Thanks!

This is another thing that bothers me about the moderation on these forums. If people want to talk in circles, they should be allowed to as long as no rules are being broken. The right of the mods to end any thread they think is going nowhere is very vaguely defined and it's very frustrating to people who still want to continue the discussion.

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #161 on: 24 October 2012, 19:52:02 »
In so many words? Maybe not. In effect? Yes.

Not agreeing with someone or even not believing them is a far cry from an accusation of "arguing in bad faith".

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #162 on: 24 October 2012, 19:56:05 »
This is another thing that bothers me about the moderation on these forums. If people want to talk in circles, they should be allowed to as long as no rules are being broken. The right of the mods to end any thread they think is going nowhere is very vaguely defined and it's very frustrating to people who still want to continue the discussion.

Peacemaker,

I'd disagree. People have the right to talk in circles. If they didn't, then the MW Hall would be empty. However, when talking in circles starts leading to rules violations, we have a choice:

- Leave things to escalate until the flames break out and we end up issuing warnings
or
- intervene ahead of that point.

Our strong preference is the latter approach. We gain no pleasure out of issuing warnings and bans. However, we gain less pleasure from outbreaks of inappropriate behaviour. Similarly, there are a few hot topics which will always get intervention - for some years, one of these topics was ice hockey, oddly enough. Discussion of (say) rules for animatronic sex dolls (mentioned in fluff) would probably be another. There just isn't any benefit to the forums in going in some directions.

As noted above, remember the moderation team are volunteers. Two consequences of this:

1) They work as a group, with oversight. Sorry, it simply isn't possible for one moderator to act on any irrational hatreds or predjudices, because the other mods and admins will see this. We record all official interactions, so there's no question about who is supposed to have said what to whom in an official capacity. Above us is the CGL observer, and ultimately the BattleTech line developer & CGL management.

2) They (and we) can't and don't spend 24 hours scanning the forums. That's one reason we REALLY encourage people to use "Report to Moderator" if they see what they think is a problem. All moderators & admins see when a Report is made.

I understand some people don't like how they perceive the forums working, but I don't believe I'll ever be able to influence their perceptions. I'd also like to thank those of you who've contributed productively to this thread, and those who've sent me questions and messages on the topic.

Cheers,

Worktroll, Administrator
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #163 on: 24 October 2012, 19:58:54 »
No offense intended, Kit..but I do remember several times when Herb banned writers from posting AT ALL,
partially because people were asking you all questions outside the appropriate forums, but also because
of some "misbehaving." And then, you were mysteriously quiet for a week, and when you came back, your (then)
Yellow Star was not added back for a while. To me, the implied meaning was that you had gotten a ban. Maybe
that is not the case, and you were just WAY busy with Shadowrun and BattleTech writing and your day job..
But to me, the IMPLIED coincidence of all three things at around the same time says that: Yes, even Writers
get dinged and Banned.

You're pretty close there. I previously did not have a Yellow BattleMech at the point where I posted this post. Apparently I was being held to a higher standard than other posters and someone skipped the moderation and complained directly to Randall, which filtered down to Herb who was going to ban all the writers from posting for a while. I pointed out that if he needed to hand out a punishment, it should just be me. So I got a week long ban/suspension/timeout and when I came back I got the Yellow BattleMaster to approach the standard to which I was being held.

I've gotten a few other warnings, so apparently this 'favoritism' isn't helping me out any.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #164 on: 24 October 2012, 20:03:38 »
Take it to Off Topic or the MW Hall boards, please.

So was that just to me and Kit or to Wombat also who's been making jokes for pages? Because it seems like another preferential treatment example since this was the first warning not pages ago when the joking started.

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #165 on: 24 October 2012, 20:07:35 »
It's a line being drawn, and it applies to everyone who would like to cross it. Whether their forum nick is Wombat or Paul or Col. Hengist.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Col.Hengist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #166 on: 24 October 2012, 20:17:56 »
Roger. Thank you for the clarification sir.

HikageMaru

• Captain
  • The Capellans are not evil.
« Reply #167 on: 24 October 2012, 20:49:46 »
You're pretty close there. I previously did not have a Yellow BattleMech at the point where I posted this post. Apparently I was being held to a higher standard than other posters and someone skipped the moderation and complained directly to Randall, which filtered down to Herb who was going to ban all the writers from posting for a while. I pointed out that if he needed to hand out a punishment, it should just be me. So I got a week long ban/suspension/timeout and when I came back I got the Yellow BattleMaster to approach the standard to which I was being held.

I've gotten a few other warnings, so apparently this 'favoritism' isn't helping me out any.

Ah.  I remember when that happened.  I wondered what brought it about.

Grognard

• Lieutenant
  • BTU.org & LotB.com Member
« Reply #168 on: 24 October 2012, 21:19:45 »
Well, I've placed my suggestion to partly fix the PERCEPTION of bias and favoritism.

If you choose to not implement... so be it.

Eventually tho, with time, Perception becomes "COMMON KNOWLEDGE".

It may be Absolutely Wrong, but since Everyone just KNOWS that it is common knowledge... it is considered an axiomatic truth.

By that point: it's impossible to fix.

As hard as it sounds (and is..) Moderators, et al, should be held to a MUCH HIGHER standard.

That's why I don't wanna be a Mod.  I'd get banned for farting in public.

GROGNARD:  An old, grumpy soldier, a long term campaigner (Fr); Someone who enjoys playing tactics and strategy based board wargames;  a game fan who will buy every game released in a certain genre of computer game (RTS, or computer role-playing game, etc.)

Paul

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
« Reply #169 on: 24 October 2012, 21:22:04 »
Well, I've placed my suggestion to partly fix the PERCEPTION of bias and favoritism.

If you choose to not implement... so be it.

Your suggestion is a far worse cure than the perceived disease.

Eventually tho, with time, Perception becomes "COMMON KNOWLEDGE".

It may be Absolutely Wrong, but since Everyone just KNOWS that it is common knowledge... it is considered an axiomatic truth.

We've somehow managed to avoid that problem for more than a decade.
Just because a few people believe there's a problem, doesn't mean they're correct.

Paul

Peacemaker

• Lieutenant
  • Highest MUP Quotient on the forums.
« Reply #170 on: 24 October 2012, 22:30:32 »

Peacemaker,

I'd disagree. People have the right to talk in circles. If they didn't, then the MW Hall would be empty. However, when talking in circles starts leading to rules violations, we have a choice:

- Leave things to escalate until the flames break out and we end up issuing warnings
or
- intervene ahead of that point.

Our strong preference is the latter approach. We gain no pleasure out of issuing warnings and bans. However, we gain less pleasure from outbreaks of inappropriate behaviour. Similarly, there are a few hot topics which will always get intervention - for some years, one of these topics was ice hockey, oddly enough. Discussion of (say) rules for animatronic sex dolls (mentioned in fluff) would probably be another. There just isn't any benefit to the forums in going in some directions.

I understand your reasoning, but I don't have very much faith in the ability of anyone, internet moderator or otherwise, to predict the future. I agree with you that certain topics that inherently involve politics, sex, religion and sports have no place here. But I've seen innocuous discussions that involve none of those things get shut down because the mods decided they weren't going anywhere.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #171 on: 24 October 2012, 22:45:34 »
It may be that there were some more heated threads, that ended up removed; alternatively, if the last half-dozen posts all came from two posters saying "You're wrong, I'm right" and "No, you're wrong, I'm right" and we get a number of requests from members saying "close it down, it's going no-where", that might be the case.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Sulla

• CGL Media Design & Production
  • Catalyst Game Labs
  • Warrant Officer
  • Death Before Dispossessed
« Reply #172 on: 25 October 2012, 01:29:30 »
Hello again all,

This has been an interesting conversation with many good points made across the board. As I said this morning, the thread would be locked around midnight and that time has come.

Thanks!
BattleTech! Studly caps! Shadowrun! No studly caps! No spaces!

"...reading is about what goes in your mind, not your hand." -Roosterboy

"BattleTech does not map to the real world, it's BattleTech." -Welshman