Author Topic: The Witcher Netflix series??  (Read 3633 times)

pheonixstorm

• Major
The Witcher Netflix series??
« on: 20 July 2019, 13:57:23 »
Like the idea but not sold on the series yet, hope another trailer or two gets released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KlNosLciNw

And this is not a good day for words...
« Last Edit: 20 July 2019, 16:16:29 by pheonixstorm »

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: The Witcher movie??
« Reply #1 on: 20 July 2019, 15:43:22 »
Not a movie, it's a Netflix series.

pheonixstorm

• Major
Re: The Witcher movie??
« Reply #2 on: 20 July 2019, 16:04:15 »
Yeah I looked into it for more info. 8 episodes for the first season. It does have promise though as they picked a good actor for the main character.

Cache

• Captain
    • Lords of the Battlefield
Re: The Witcher Netflix series??
« Reply #3 on: 21 July 2019, 09:18:01 »
Agreed. I'm a fan of Cavill's work. I read yesterday that they have no plans of incorporating the video games into the series. It will be based solely on the books. (Which means little to me since I have neither played nor read them.  :D ) The previews so far have made it look interesting, and I will definitely give it a look.

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #4 on: 21 July 2019, 10:20:39 »
it'll rock the socks out of everything, 2019-20 looks like an awesome year for TV show :)

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: 31 October 2019, 12:44:40 »

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: 31 October 2019, 13:03:03 »
Also shows the release date - december 20th.

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #7 on: 31 October 2019, 18:34:07 »
going by the trailer this wil be a must watch
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #8 on: 31 October 2019, 21:24:05 »
Can't wait. Need to finish the game and read the books.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #9 on: 31 October 2019, 21:35:59 »
going by the trailer this wil be a must watch
Agreed.  Looking forward to seeing what they do with the source material. 

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
  • My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #10 on: 31 October 2019, 22:22:00 »
Yeah, I'll definitely be watching this. Felt like a good blend of the original source material with a few winks to the video games (the bathtub scene...) Fight scenes looked nice and kinetic, at the very least.
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #11 on: 02 November 2019, 00:08:25 »
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #12 on: 14 November 2019, 04:34:51 »
Looks like this will have a second season.

From what I read there is at least 7 or 8 seasons or ready to use material. Hope it lasts that long.

Geont

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #13 on: 14 November 2019, 05:57:01 »
I am sceptic about this series. We were burned once (by Polish Witcher movie and series) and don't want it to happen again. Some casting choices seem bad from my point of view. I only hope that it won't be as bad as mentioned Polish series. Although I loved Zebrowski as Geralt the rest of it was very low quality.
Born in Czechoslovakia and living in Czechia (or Czech Republic).

Fan of FWL

pheonixstorm

• Major

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #15 on: 20 December 2019, 03:02:57 »
3am eastern and Witcher is live. About to start ep 1

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 20 December 2019, 12:14:29 »
I just watched the 1st ep and it was quite bloody and gory. Three arcs so far as I can teel and I expect them to merge at some time. I'm expect the pig girl's (don't know her name) arc to be the most interesting. I'm coming at this cold as I've never read, much less heard of, the novels.
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #17 on: 21 December 2019, 05:20:04 »
I didn't hear about the novels until the author sued CD Project Red because he didn't get enough money out of the games. Well, he shouldn't have written off the games as nothing and went for royalties instead of a one time (small) payment.

Finished this season tonight and overall.

Pros:
Lilac and gooseberries
Monsters

Con:
No "Winds... howling"
No glitching Roach
No stuffed Unicorn
And worst of all, NO OLD LADY AND HER FRYING PAN!

Oh well, that's what we get for it being based off the books and not the game I guess...  :crazy:

I liked it though. I think the real flaw is it jumps around too much on when events are happening as the series goes from present to past to present repeatedly between three characters so it can get a little confusing if you don't pay attention.

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #18 on: 21 December 2019, 09:12:20 »
Two episodes in and I’m really happy with it so far. I had my doubts about Cavill as Geralt after his less-than-stellar Superman, but he was a great choice. The fight choreography is gorgeous and the visuals are outstanding.

I’ve only listened to the first two audiobooks so far, but I immediately bought the others before going to bed last night.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Øystein

• BattleTech Volunteer
  • Captain
« Reply #19 on: 22 December 2019, 15:58:32 »
The timelines are a bit confusing to keep track of.

But I'm loving it (4 episodes in).

And Cavill was awesome as Superman! :D

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #20 on: 22 December 2019, 18:40:54 »
I’ve only listened to the first two audiobooks so far, but I immediately bought the others before going to bed last night.

Which two? The first two collections of shorts or the first two novels in the series?

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 23 December 2019, 00:46:47 »
I'm up to Episode 5 now. In general, I'm enjoying this, though I find the writing a bit uneven at times (like when the queen called a formal ball a "shindig" or the bard says "I'll just stand here and spout exposition", it's sometimes oddly anachronistic). The bard was a bit irritating at first, but I think he plays off the dour, taciturn Geralt nicely. The action scenes are great and kinetic and as balletic as you'd expect from the source material. The fight with the striga is easily a high point for me.

Some of the stories got a little neutered though. The whole motivation for Blaviken kind of gets muddled, while the bit at the end of the worlds erases the entire bittersweet message of "you can fight against past injustices, but you can't make things the same again" in favor of tough-guy talking and abortion jokes. I'm happy to see other stuff is still there though, like the ruminating on the nature of monsters.

Y's backstory and C's subplot aren't working as well for me. Y's story felt unnecessary and filled with more of the needs-a-rewrite dialogue. C's is moving rather slowly and doesn't offer the actress enough for us to build a connection with this woman. I'm hoping that improves once the story lines come together.

The decision to intercut among story lines happening at very different times is interesting. In some ways I like that the show is trusting you and asking you to be engaged enough to keep up. At others though I do kind of wish we had even just a title card or something with the year.

I reviewed the original short story collection it's based on here: https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.com/2018/09/the-last-wish-witcher-series.html
Author, "Inverted" (Shrapnel #4), "Undefeated" (#10), "Reversal of Fortunes" (#13) and "The Alexandria Job" (#15)

ActionButler

• Global Moderator
  • Major
« Reply #22 on: 23 December 2019, 07:17:50 »
Which two? The first two collections of shorts or the first two novels in the series?

The two short story collections.
Experimental Technical Readout: The School
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=56420.0

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 23 December 2019, 08:14:39 »
Finished it before I cam into work tonight. I had no expectations as I came into it cold have not read the books or played the game. I liked it and am looking forward to season 2 when it gets here in 2021.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #24 on: 23 December 2019, 09:45:19 »
I'm loving it - (Pig Girl is Yennefer), Triss as a Brunette, is well...expected her as a Red head. Seeing the introduction of Dandelion, and others is awesome.

And best of all to me...My Wife LOVES IT! As someone who never read the books (both of us), and she's never even taken half an interest in the video game (or any game for that matter), she is defintely fully on board!
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #25 on: 24 December 2019, 14:28:39 »
Too bad audible doesn't have this available lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUST_IQYp-o The Witcher reading the Witcher

Dubble_g

• Lieutenant
« Reply #26 on: 25 December 2019, 07:31:47 »
Finished the series. Overall I'd say a 3.6: not great, not terrible.

This show felt more frustrating than anything else, as there's gold here but it keeps getting smothered in dross. It's more Lord of the Rings than Game of Thrones, more Dungeons and Dragons than Lord of the Rings, cheaper than either though thankfully not quite Shannara Chronicles cheap. Despite some elements that work rather well--Cavill's swashbuckling especially--I don't think it does enough to really establish its own unique voice or presence and differentiate itself from other fantasy properties.

I think the bones are good, the foundation is solid, I just wished Netflix had been able to construct something a bit more solid on top of it.

Spoilery thoughts:
https://one-way-mirror.blogspot.com/2019/12/the-witcher-netflix-series.html

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #27 on: 25 December 2019, 14:16:13 »
Can anyone tell how does it compare with Wiedźmin?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

pheonixstorm

• Major
« Reply #28 on: 25 December 2019, 14:44:09 »
Haven't seen it but from what little I have read it is better in many ways. About the same in others.

I do hope the next season comes out before 2021 though. 8 episodes is not long enough per season to truly do the story justice imo.

Triptych

• Lieutenant
    • My Amazon Author Page
« Reply #29 on: 27 December 2019, 10:21:00 »
Just finished episode 5, and its lousy.

Henry Cavill is a decent actor and the production values are good, but the storyline is awful. The bard is easily the most annoying character I've had to endure in a long, long time. The sex scenes are gratuitous (Im not anti-sex, just anti gratuity) and seem to have been put in just to spice up an otherwise boring plot. The whole thing also seems anachronistic, as if youre part of a videogame rather than a fully fleshed out fantasy world. The direction is shoddy- the courtly intrigue isnt well handled and is confusing at times too since the timelines have been rearranged.

All in all, 3.5/10 for me so far.