Author Topic: (Answered) Lance (melee) weapon weight determination  (Read 1552 times)

ELH_Firemane

• Private
(Answered) Lance (melee) weapon weight determination
« on: 14 November 2019, 06:23:04 »
Hi

I searched in this and the TechManual rules forums but didnt find this one answered.

Per Tac Ops p. 288 - says a Lance weighs 1 ton and occupies 1 critical slot for every 20 tons of ‘Mech weight (rounded up to the nearest half ton).

If I read it right, for a 45 ton mech - 45 ÷ 20 = 2.25 which would round up to 2.5 tons.  I notice in the 3055 Upgrade, the Volkh VKH-1's lances weigh 3 tons each. I wasnt sure if the TRO has a typo and I didnt see this in the TAC Ops errata, unless I overlooked it.  I tried to look at TRO entries for other mechs carrying them but not many "base" model mechs carry them .

I would appreciate a clarification on the weight determination and rounding process for melee lances.

Thanks

« Last Edit: 06 December 2019, 12:31:56 by Xotl »

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: Lance (melee) weapon weight determination
« Reply #1 on: 03 December 2019, 12:53:25 »
Generally with instances like this the rulebook is correct and the TRO entry is in error.  So in this case the Volkh would have an extra ton to play with.

Presumably the build error came about because the original appearance of the Lance in Solaris VII had no rounding rules, just "one ton and occupies one critical slot for every twenty tons of BattleMech weight".  I guess they just assumed that meant "round up to a full ton", or there was an older (now lost) forum ruling on the issue.

EDIT: I'm going to go over the melee weapons stats and come down with a final ruling later.  I'll make a new post here when I'm done.
« Last Edit: 03 December 2019, 15:52:46 by Xotl »
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
Re: (Research) Lance (melee) weapon weight determination
« Reply #2 on: 06 December 2019, 12:31:49 »
Okay, it turns out that both the claw and lance were broken, because of the "round up to the nearest half-ton" wording.  Both weapons will have the "half" part removed, so that the mechs with them will continue to be the same as before.  No unit changes should be required.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0