Author Topic: Tips/help on GM-ing?  (Read 169 times)

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Sergeant
  • Unless to other People
Tips/help on GM-ing?
« on: 18 May 2024, 21:37:07 »
I'm currently learning the AToW rules and was wondering if anybody could give me some tips (the Do and don't do's)
on being a Game Master.
« Last Edit: 20 May 2024, 12:47:41 by Gray_Noton_4lfe »
Corporal: Were under attack general.
General: who's attacking?
Corporal: Those 25 Urbanmech Mechwarriors you offended last week on Solaris.
General: That's....unfortunate. Could you remind me what I said to offend them?
Corporal: You said their Urbanmechs look like Locust-1Vs Sir.
General: ahh... I remember now.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Tips for GM-ing?
« Reply #1 on: 19 May 2024, 07:39:53 »
Absolutely work out your house rules ahead of time, not on the fly.  You'll more than likely regret rulings you make on the fly.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #2 on: 19 May 2024, 16:07:52 »
ninety nine percent of a GM's job, is keeping the players engaged in the story.  That other 1% is the rules.
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #3 on: 19 May 2024, 16:09:56 »
That's a fair point... I suppose our group back in college was a bit more rules focused than most...

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 19 May 2024, 21:07:57 »
That's a fair point... I suppose our group back in college was a bit more rules focused than most...
HOW you keep people engaged changes.  if you have a group that is very focused on rules and competition, freestyling is not the right call.  If you have a group of murderhobos, then complex political stories might not be a good idea, if you have a bunch of people who groove on subtlety and style, a murderhobo campaign is the wrong thing.

It's about tailoring your approach to your audience, some players are "Role" players, and some are "Roll" players.  One of these, you can afford to thumb the scales and improvise with, the other you can not.

My second piece of advice to our poster is, 'don't be Monty Haul'.  whatever kind of players you've got, they need to work for their rewards or the good ones will go watch soccer instead, because they'll be bored.

The first rule of heroic fiction (and RP'ing is, at its base, telling a story set in heroic fiction-even when the players are intentionally being evil) is that it's not heroic-that is, not exciting-if it's too easy.

The corrolary to that one, is that you need to know when to make it easy, which is to say, when it really doesn't matter, is when you make it easy and let them feel that overwhelming sense of power that comes from being the main character.  Call it 'mook effect' or 'trash mobs' or letting them get one over on a minor NPC so that when they try it with whatever main baddy you give 'em, it feels and seems challenging so that when they win-if they win, there's a sense of accomplishment with the dopamine release in their brains.

Players want to be the hero-that is, the main character, not an also-ran, so your supporting cast may have higher social standing, or whatever, but you need to remember to put in the player's hands how they solve the problems you present, and adapt accordingly.

As one of my characters once said, "It's not the guy getting the medals who has power, it's the person handing those medals out, who's got the power", don't rub their faces in it unless they REALLY deserve it.

as the GM, you are the Game's Organizational Designer.

yeah, put the bolded parts together, you're the creator of the scenario, or the person running it, they're the players, you're providing them with an exciting, engaging experience, that should be your focus. 
« Last Edit: 19 May 2024, 21:10:15 by Cannonshop »
"If you have to ask permission, then it's no longer a Right, it has been turned into a Privilege-something that can be and will be taken from you when convenient."

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #5 on: 19 May 2024, 23:29:11 »
I'm currently learning the AToW rules and was wondering if anybody could give me some tips (the Do and don't do's)
on being a Game Master.

After every session ask three questions:

1) What did you like?
2) What did you dislike?
3) What do you want to see more of?

This way you get feedback from your players and can adjust for your next session.  If you are sneaky you can put down cards for each player listing what each of them are enjoying so you can give them their own fun in turn.

Try to have two different plans for the night.  This way if some players are out for the night suddenly, you can still run something that the remaining players will enjoy.  I.e. if you have a mix of murderhobos and political players and the murderhobos are not able to show up, then pull out your Agathie Christie and Poirot to get a good political side-story.  This way the political enjoyers can work to have extra materials for the next session when the murderhobos are meeting their opposites.

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Sergeant
  • Unless to other People
« Reply #6 on: 20 May 2024, 12:46:42 »
Thank you all for the help!

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Sergeant
  • Unless to other People
Re: Tips/help on GM-ing?
« Reply #7 on: 20 May 2024, 12:50:49 »
Another thing I'm trying to wrap my head around is playing a with more than 1 person; I'm not quiet how that works
« Last Edit: 20 May 2024, 13:41:33 by Gray_Noton_4lfe »

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #8 on: 20 May 2024, 17:53:35 »
In what way?  Individual initiative is pretty straight forward...

Gray_Noton_4lfe

• Sergeant
  • Unless to other People
« Reply #9 on: 20 May 2024, 20:17:18 »
Oh, right, thanks that slipped my mind I totally forgot about that.

Cannonshop

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #10 on: Today at 08:25:25 »
Oh, right, thanks that slipped my mind I totally forgot about that.

relax, don't worry, with time and practice and games under your belt, those things will become as automatic as breathing or quoting your favorite media.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #11 on: Today at 17:58:25 »
Exactly what Cannonshop said! :)

Register