Author Topic: Clan Blood Spirit Enclave: Heroes of Our Time  (Read 189836 times)

Kamose

• Lieutenant
  • In the end, there can be only one...
Re: Clan Blood Spirit Enclave: Heroes of Our Time
« Reply #570 on: 04 August 2013, 20:11:30 »
Oh hush now. Hush now, we're all part of the Dead Clan Fans club. Arguing over who saw it coming first only makes us sound hipster.   #P :D
Or lamer... I never saw the Nova Cats dying, and Herbert's reasoning to me in a Battlechat ("because they were there") was as arrogant as anything I've ever heard.  Forgive me if I don't share in the whining, but respond rather in anger.
Kamose

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #571 on: 04 August 2013, 20:12:26 »
And just so it's said, I was rooting for the Cats and for Katana Tormark. The BT universe is a much less interesting place without our two Clans. :(
I'll drink to that.   >:(
Kamose

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #572 on: 04 August 2013, 20:18:27 »
It depends on how you want to define 'Live on'.

The Fidelis may be descendants of the Smoke Jaguars, but do the Smoke Jaguars continue to live on? The answers going to vary depending on who you ask. The Spirit Cats being a bit closer to the source means you're going to get a bit more variety in the answer to that question. There's the other Nova Cat enclaves still in the Republic, too. With them though, I think it's more like looking at a modern day Irish-American and whether you actually consider him Irish as a nationality.
I'll address this here once because I don't want to be ranting all over the boards.  You are right when you say some of the elements of Clan Nova Cat, both culturally and spiritually, continue to go on.  But, the aspects of what made me a fan of them ARE gone, apparently forever, and we got no more and a couple of pages describing our Annihilation execution.  That, combined with the reason Herbert gave me for their destruction, makes this one topic I will simply say that not all fans agree on and leave it at that, lest I start an escalating flame war or get censured by the mods.  It certainly was not done well or with respect to the fans.
Thanks,
Kamose

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #573 on: 04 August 2013, 20:20:02 »
I have a firm belief the Blood Spirits were attempting to salvage there old Battlecruiser, the Rocinante when the Haven system fell to the Adders and that ship and maybe a few other jumpships worth of laborers, techs, and scientist jumped off into the Periphery after the rest of the Spirits fell. The Adders are keeping an eye on the Colleen System more to make sure the surviving Spirits don't come back to salvage what they can then to keep the other Clans away. That's my theory.

That and they conquered the Green Ghosts and are the newest band to take over that organization.  ;)
Nice touch... I like it.  May it someday be shown as true!
Kamose

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #574 on: 04 August 2013, 20:23:15 »
I see only three real ways for the Spirits not to have gone the way of the Dinosaur. They essentially had three chances during the WoR. The first was the little tiff with the Ghost Bears, that cost them a warship and a Khan down. The second was a bit later when they lost three Galaxy's to the Steel Vipers. If they could have somehow survived that they would have been in much better shape later. The last was losing so much in the Viper annihilation., that cost them much too dearly. If they could have avoided anyone one of these situations there situation in the Colleen system would have been well off enough they could have easily denied the other Clans a real foothold on Honor and Haven.
Great points... wish they could have really happened.  I always thought the Spirits had a lot more potential than several of the Clans that survived or died (the Coyotes - come on!   They INVENTED the Society!  And the Flaming Monkeys always WERE a joke).
Regards,
Kamose

Stormlion1

• Colonel
  • Apparently Im a rare survivor of the 1st!
« Reply #575 on: 04 August 2013, 20:25:04 »
Nice touch... I like it.  May it someday be shown as true!
Kamose

It gives me a reason to say the Blood Guard Keshik survived. Trying to salvage there Khans Cruiser is a pretty good reason to be away from the Colleen System and it never outright says the ship was destroyed. In fact it survived enough for there to be enough atmosphere from Khan Schmidtt to survive long enough to be rescued..
I don't set an example for others. I make examples of them.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
« Reply #576 on: 04 August 2013, 20:25:54 »
Great points... wish they could have really happened.  I always thought the Spirits had a lot more potential than several of the Clans that survived or died (the Coyotes - come on!   They INVENTED the Society!  And the Flaming Monkeys always WERE a joke).
Regards,
Kamose

I was shocked the Yotes survived as well.  Actually, an acquaintance of mine who is a Yote and I were betting on whether WoR would end with the Yotes destroying everybody or everybody being destroyed by the Yotes/Scientist Conspiracy.  As we know, it didn't exactly turn out either way.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #577 on: 04 August 2013, 20:26:42 »
It gives me a reason to say the Blood Guard Keshik survived. Trying to salvage there Khans Cruiser is a pretty good reason to be away from the Colleen System and it never outright says the ship was destroyed. In fact it survived enough for there to be enough atmosphere from Khan Schmidtt to survive long enough to be rescued..
Sounds like you've got a good potential BattleCorps story in there, Stormlion.  I'd love to see you write it up for the rest of us!
Kamose

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #578 on: 04 August 2013, 20:28:29 »
I was shocked the Yotes survived as well.  Actually, an acquaintance of mine who is a Yote and I were betting on whether WoR would end with the Yotes destroying everybody or everybody being destroyed by the Yotes/Scientist Conspiracy.  As we know, it didn't exactly turn out either way.
Yep... it surprised me, too.  Overall, I loved the book and think it is one of the best supplements to come out in the last decade plus.  Having the Yotes survive was one of the very few criticisms I had about the book, primarily because it took such a stretch of disbelief to leave the elastic of reality loose.  :)
Thanks,
Kamose

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #579 on: 04 August 2013, 20:38:06 »
Sounds like you've got a good potential BattleCorps story in there, Stormlion.  I'd love to see you write it up for the rest of us!
Kamose

I write as well as I can shoot a rifle. I can't hit the broadside of a barn if I was inside one with the doors closed. Course I made expert with a pistol so...
Now conspiracy theory's....

tassa_kay

• Major
  • Karianna Schmitt has no time for your headcanon.
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #580 on: 04 August 2013, 21:43:18 »
A far better outcome would've been the destruction of the Coyotes to pay the ultimate price for their hubris (and I say this not as an anti-Coyote sentiment as a fan but what I think would've been much more logical), and the Blood Spirits actually going into complete isolationism and completely withdrawing from Clan space in the years after York's bombardment. Then there would have been no Spirits left behind who possessed the information that allowed the other Clans to find them.
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Kamose

• Lieutenant
« Reply #581 on: 04 August 2013, 23:40:03 »
A far better outcome would've been the destruction of the Coyotes to pay the ultimate price for their hubris (and I say this not as an anti-Coyote sentiment as a fan but what I think would've been much more logical), and the Blood Spirits actually going into complete isolationism and completely withdrawing from Clan space in the years after York's bombardment. Then there would have been no Spirits left behind who possessed the information that allowed the other Clans to find them.
I agree... And that would be a far cooler unsolved mystery than the Wolverines.  Nice thinking! They we'd also have such an interesting Clan as the Spirits to speculate on...
Thanks,
Kamose
« Last Edit: 05 August 2013, 23:07:08 by Kamose »

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #582 on: 04 August 2013, 23:54:08 »
The Coyotes were in a odd sort of position during the WoR. Half of them were Society while the other half had no clue what was really going on within there own plan. The Society part though kept getting beaten down while the ignorant half kept fighting the good fight. It took some time but eventually the Society portion of the Coyotes were the minority and the better than half that was left wanted to kill the Society portion of their own Clan. I am surprised they weren't absorbed or abjured though. There crimes were more major than the Spirits, the only difference is the Coyotes came out of the WoR in better shape is all.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
  • Never despair. Never surrender.
« Reply #583 on: 05 August 2013, 08:14:54 »
Had our game on Sunday, lost 6 of the 7 high-level PCs as the Blood Spirits went through yet another attempted coup. Tensions got really high between certain players and I probably should have halted the game but saw it through, running things on the fly. I can't say I'm happy about what happened. The whole event was unexpected and what was supposed to be a wind-down game became a player drama.

The Loremaster player convinced two other players to back his impromptu coup and a third joined their side as things developed. In the end, it was a roll of the dice and he lost but along the way he scored several impressive hits. He had intended to remove both the Khan and saKhan, blame their deaths on their allies and them bombard the industrial world using the warship fleet and remake the Blood Spirits back into the ultra-conservative Clan they were. He got the saKhan (beat him to death in hand to hand combat) and the Star Colonel in charge of the Blood Guard Keshik, but he died seconds later under fire from a Blood Guard Blood Kite. The rest of the deaths came from either the assassination attempt of the Khan or the brawl that happened afterwards. Of course, the Khan managed to make it out of things alright - he got shot but it wasn't a critical wound and he's squelched the truth of what happened so he doesn't panic the Clan or their newfound friends.

I've suspended the game pending a review of what happened and I want to talk to players when they've cooled down a bit.

Gaiiten

• Captain
  • Can not get enough of BattleTech!
« Reply #584 on: 05 August 2013, 09:41:16 »
Pretty sure you'll all hate me in three years, though.

I hate you now ... though ...  ;)
Crush yah enumhees, see dem drivun befor you, and hear de lamuntatuns of de veemon!

Visit my Deviantart: http://gaiiten.deviantart.com/

Jaim Magnus

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Assisting you and your enemies equally.
« Reply #585 on: 05 August 2013, 09:44:44 »
Wow Terminax, that's just brutal!  I've only had a player group disintegrate into player on player battles once, and it damn near wrecked the gaming group.  Best to let tempers settle for awhile.  Hopefully, you'll be able to salvage your campaign.
BattleCorps - Righteous Fury, Sorrow of Eden, Lady of Steel, I Was Lost, Forsaken : Legacy - The Forgotten Places : Shrapnel - Scavenger's Blood : ELH Chronicles - View from the Ground : Shrapnel - It Ends in Fire, Picking the Bones

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #586 on: 05 August 2013, 14:49:45 »
The Coyotes were in a odd sort of position during the WoR. Half of them were Society while the other half had no clue what was really going on within there own plan. The Society part though kept getting beaten down while the ignorant half kept fighting the good fight. It took some time but eventually the Society portion of the Coyotes were the minority and the better than half that was left wanted to kill the Society portion of their own Clan. I am surprised they weren't absorbed or abjured though. There crimes were more major than the Spirits, the only difference is the Coyotes came out of the WoR in better shape is all.

I was absolutely certain the Yotes would eat it after what they did to the Mick-Kreese-Kline-Sainze(-insert additional Bloodnames here), Vipers, and Scorpions. Seriously, of all the Clans that somehow made it through, the Coyotes definitely deserved getting collectively curb stomped the most. Moreso than many Clans that did, in my humble opinion.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

"Being tactful in audacity is knowing how far one can go too far."
Jean Cocteau

The Once & Future WiseOldNovaCat

Neo-Tanuki

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #587 on: 05 August 2013, 15:20:00 »
I was absolutely certain the Yotes would eat it after what they did to the Mick-Kreese-Kline-Sainze(-insert additional Bloodnames here), Vipers, and Scorpions. Seriously, of all the Clans that somehow made it through, the Coyotes definitely deserved getting collectively curb stomped the most. Moreso than many Clans that did, in my humble opinion.

Same here. But given how decimated the Scientist castes of several Clans were after the Reavings, I wonder if they kept the Coyotes around for their Technician caste's familiarity with Society 'Mechs and advances? Given the Homeworlders are adopting the Septicemia and Sprite and currently studying the Osteon, maybe they wanted to have someone around with passing familiarity with the construction of these machines?

Kind of like after World War 2, when the U.S. and Soviets were trying to grab German scientists for their rocket programs.

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #588 on: 05 August 2013, 16:50:04 »
I don't know about you, but until I'm dead my Clan lives on. Don't be such sour pusses. It's only a game, and you can make of it what you will.

Unlike so many of you, I was certain the Blood Spirits were worm food prior to WoR because they're the Clan that represents Clan unity, however dysfunctional and warped it had become. I'd argue that they're the one Clan that could NOT survive the WoR no matter how much we love them because they're the Clan that represents all that was the Clans, not what they will be. The Coyotes survived for a couple of reasons. First, it leaves the Homeworld Clans with a link to the Founders that leaves them on an even footing concerning legitimacy with the Returned Clans and secondly, there had to be some sort of bad boy left among the Homeworld Clans. You could also say they have the survival instincts of their namesake... Coyotes are difficult to wipe out.

Two of my players have called an apologized for their outbursts last night and I think we've lost a third, at least for now. Nobody likes player deaths but in a game like this, it happens. I'm not happy that it was launched on me without any prior warning ahead of time (I wasn't exactly prepared for it) but I rolled with it as best as I could. It isn't like a coup wasn't coming, I just didn't expect it now. As it was, the one who really took it like a champ was the saKhan's player who character died in a pretty inglorious death being beaten to death in a change room. He's a good guy and now he has to start all over. Loremaster's player is also okay, but he had nowhere near the time invested like the saKhan guy did. It's really the player who played the Star Colonel running the Blood Guard who's was being a **** and causing allot of the flack. When we talk (and we will), I'll have to set him straight that such behavior cannot happen again. The player who's left, at least for now is our youngest friend and feels setup by his buddy. I should be able to smooth it out but giving the kid a breather is the best I can do for today.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #589 on: 05 August 2013, 16:55:50 »
Expressing disappointment is kind of a given. And while I've always been the first one to make that point, consider the fact that we won't be getting any further page time or official support (new designs, etc.). I think we're entitled to our collective displeasure. ;)
"Social media made y'all way too comfortable with disrespecting people and not getting punched in the face for it." - Mike Tyson

My Personal Units: Thuggee Warrior House Nagah (Capellan Confederation), 29th Blood Drinkers (Clan Blood Spirit), Nightmare Galaxy (Clan Hell's Horses), 1st Raven Rook Cluster (Raven Alliance)
Favorite Factions: Capellan Confederation • Clan Blood Spirit • Clan Smoke Jaguar • Clan Hell's Horses • Raven Alliance • Fronc Reaches • Rim Worlds Republic • Magistracy of Canopus
Favorite Characters: Malvina Hazen • Kali Liao • Katherine Steiner-Davion • Anastasia Kerensky • Danai Liao-Centrella • Karianna Schmitt • Lady Death • Tara Campbell • Katana Tormark
Favorite Units: The Golden Ordun • Wolf Hunters • 1st Horde Cluster • 1st Rasalhague Bears • Thuggee Warrior Houses • Hikage • Raptor Keshik • Kara's Scorchers • 1st Star Sentinels

Terminax

• Lieutenant
« Reply #590 on: 05 August 2013, 17:14:14 »
Sure I hate the Clan I'm invested in get the axe but to harp on it as something personal by TPTB or writers isn't fair. It's a living universe, and for that to work things have to die, get born, live and die again in order to keep things fresh. Be thankful we weren't the Ice Hellion fans who had their Clan splattered like a bug hitting a windshield. The Fire Mandrills and Steel Vipers got what they pretty much deserved, even their fans agree to that. It took spending two decades under siege in the worst neighborhood ever then being thrown under the bus, stabbed in the back, beaten by a mob, a natural disaster and then finally being beaten to death by a 600 pound Gorilla to do the Blood Spirits in. There's gotta be a South Park bit or Robot Chicken quality sketch in that somewhere.

tassa_kay

• Major
    • My Facebook page!
« Reply #591 on: 05 August 2013, 17:21:41 »
No one's harping on anyone here, though. At least, I don't think so. I could be wrong, though.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #592 on: 05 August 2013, 18:23:18 »
If nothing else, the Blood Spirits died well in comparison to the Steel Vipers, Fire Mandrills and the Ice Hellions. And the Nova Cats still have enough survivors scattered about to possibly rebuild given enough time and if they could all get together in one place.

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #593 on: 05 August 2013, 18:38:46 »
If nothing else, the Blood Spirits died well in comparison to the Steel Vipers, Fire Mandrills and the Ice Hellions. And the Nova Cats still have enough survivors scattered about to possibly rebuild given enough time and if they could all get together in one place.

I'd argue that the Mandrills got the shortest end of the stick.  It took me a bit to realize, "Oh wait, they're dead?  Hang on, quick Kindraa count...yep, dead."

I like the way the Vipers went, and hey, there are still some crazy Hellions out and aboot in El Imperio!
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #594 on: 05 August 2013, 19:01:39 »
I'd argue that the Mandrills got the shortest end of the stick.  It took me a bit to realize, "Oh wait, they're dead?  Hang on, quick Kindraa count...yep, dead."

I like the way the Vipers went, and hey, there are still some crazy Hellions out and aboot in El Imperio!

Yeah, I'm... okay with how my Vipers went. Happy? No. Still, I get it. In the end, it had to be either them or the Adders. Unfortunately, the last sane Viper was saKhan Ahmed, and even he ended up a casualty of Andrews.

As for the Mandrills, I'll admit to feeling a bit heartbroken about it. I was happy to read that my Faraday-Tanagas ended up in the Spirits. Then I got to the end of the book...  :'(

I don't know about you, but until I'm dead my Clan lives on. Don't be such sour pusses. It's only a game, and you can make of it what you will.

Which is exactly why I'm completely sure (in my own little BT miniverse) that there's a small star cluster out deeper in the Periphery with a bunch of very angry Vipers, Mandrills, Hellions, and Cats, just waiting to launch their invasion of the Homeworlds. Spirit survivors are welcome, too.  O0

Jean Cocteau

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
« Reply #595 on: 05 August 2013, 19:10:22 »
Yeah, I'm... okay with how my Vipers went. Happy? No. Still, I get it. In the end, it had to be either them or the Adders. Unfortunately, the last sane Viper was saKhan Ahmed, and even he ended up a casualty of Andrews.

As for the Mandrills, I'll admit to feeling a bit heartbroken about it. I was happy to read that my Faraday-Tanagas ended up in the Spirits. Then I got to the end of the book...  :'(

Which is exactly why I'm completely sure (in my own little BT miniverse) that there's a small star cluster out deeper in the Periphery with a bunch of very angry Vipers, Mandrills, Hellions, and Cats, just waiting to launch their invasion of the Homeworlds. Spirit survivors are welcome, too.  O0

The Sharkfoxes supply them.  But they begin to grow.  Too fast for the Sharkfoxes to control, until soon the Puppets become the Puppeteer.  They launch an assault on the Sphere, starting by taking out the communications, and blocking off the center of the Sphere.  When the Fortress Republic comes down, the Sphere knows it is too late.  They are...the ILCLAN.  In fact, they're THE ILLEST CLAN!

Pa Weasley

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • I am not this cute
« Reply #596 on: 05 August 2013, 20:47:41 »
No sleep till Terra?

WONC

• Warrant Officer
  • Don't Stop Believin'
« Reply #597 on: 05 August 2013, 20:56:56 »
The Sharkfoxes supply them.  But they begin to grow.  Too fast for the Sharkfoxes to control, until soon the Puppets become the Puppeteer.  They launch an assault on the Sphere, starting by taking out the communications, and blocking off the center of the Sphere.  When the Fortress Republic comes down, the Sphere knows it is too late.  They are...the ILCLAN.  In fact, they're THE ILLEST CLAN!

Seyla! I like the way you think. ;D

No sleep till Terra?

Terra? Hell, in my miniverse we start burning at Pain and don't stop 'till we hit Herotitus.  O0

Jean Cocteau

Dukeroyal

• Sergeant
« Reply #598 on: 05 August 2013, 21:08:27 »

I agree completely. It is our game at each of our own tables and their are definite advantages to that. We, as players and creators, don't have to worry about whether anyone but ourselves likes what we do in our own games. CGL has to keep people buying books to stay in business, we don't have to worry about that.

As long as I play BattleTech Clan Blood Spirit will live in my games, no matter what CGL does in their version of the universe.

Stormlion1

• Colonel
« Reply #599 on: 05 August 2013, 22:42:03 »
Look at it this way, of the 'Dead Clans' were the most active on the boards, even among the surviving Homeworld Clans were even more active then they are. Star Adders wish they were Blood Spirits for the amont of devotion we bring to the table. Maybe that's why we were absorbed. Someone wants our devotion...