Author Topic: Grandfather's Axe Lance, Silver Hawk Irregulars  (Read 1122 times)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
Grandfather's Axe Lance, Silver Hawk Irregulars
« on: 23 March 2019, 03:20:26 »
A lance of misfits with nowhere better to turn.

Mechwarrior Dennis Onaga turned up Callison with no papers, no credentials, but with a battered Shadow Hawk K and a strong desire to be a part of something bigger than him, as long as it wouldn't ask too many questions about an entirely coincidental string of bank robberies and piracy that had recently occurred in the Combine. 

Mechwarrior Rodney Brunei was a dispossessed mechwarrior who stumbled across the scavenged frame of an old Rifleman and burned through all the money he had (and a lot he didn't) to put it back together. When he was done, he had a choice, join the FWLM until his debts were cleared or see his unique mech repossessed. He named it Prince, for reasons that only make sense to him.

Mechwarrior Karina Price has a bit of a drinking problem, which is probably the most interesting thing about her. Her mech, however, while it's approximately equivalent to a typical WVR-6R, it's actually positively ancient, dating back to the original production run back in the 25th century.  At some point the mech had come into the possession of a Varney loyalist who had fled to the Capellan Confederation back during the Davion Civil War. There he and his descendants waited for the inevitable day when the Capellans would strike forth to put the Varneys back in power, gradually upgrading their family mech for that day... until the family's finances were drained and it was put up for public auction during the Second Succession war. Mercenaries ultimately brought it to Callison, where it once again went up for sale to cover the unit's debts, ending up in the possession of Mechwarrior Price.

Lieutenant Davis Fort was a career officer with a bright future in front of him, until he was caught in a compromising situation with his Colonel's daughter. And both of the Colonel's sons. He's pretty sure that he was lucky getting stuck with command of Grandfather's Axe was the extent of his punishment. His Hermes II is the lightest, fastest unit in the lance, and he often pulls duty as the unit's scout as well as its commander. Maybe his old Colonel's revenge was more cunning than he thought.

TO DO: Thinking of a dark wash to make some of the details pop better and give them a more weathered look. I might try to get some better pictures of the wolverine in particular, as I had to put on a new gun and SRM launcher.
« Last Edit: 23 March 2019, 03:23:21 by Liam's Ghost »
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

jimdigris

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant Colonel
Re: Grandfather's Axe Lance, Silver Hawk Irregulars
« Reply #1 on: 23 March 2019, 06:17:20 »
 :thumbsup:

Major Headcase

• Lieutenant
  • We're paid to win. Heroism costs extra...
« Reply #2 on: 23 March 2019, 09:10:29 »
Good job!
I always liked the Prim Rifleman design. Did Prince rebuild it as a modern version or original?

ArchonDan

• Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 23 March 2019, 13:11:09 »
Nice work! I would agree a dark wash, and maybe a little highlighting after, would help bring out some of the details.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #4 on: 23 March 2019, 21:05:24 »
Sigh... I did the wash and highlighting, and it actually turned out pretty nice.

My camera work afterwards, not so much. This is what I get for using a fifteen year old digital camera.  ;D
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #5 on: 23 March 2019, 21:21:30 »
Closeups on the Wolverine showing the changes I made. When I got this mini from Iron Wind Metals, it had an extra arm and crotch sprue and no weapons. Always one to improvise, I swapped in a part from a heavy gear piece and an SRM launcher from a... warhammer I think? out of my bits drawer.

(Disclaimer: Iron Wind Metals has always been great about fixing problems no questions asked and I'm sure they would have done the same here if I had asked them. But I'd actually received this mini last year and only now noticed the missing parts, and I felt weird about saying anything now rather than months ago when I got it.)

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 23 March 2019, 21:26:15 »
Good job!
I always liked the Prim Rifleman design. Did Prince rebuild it as a modern version or original?

The rifleman is a modified version of the introductory tech RFL-2N, which in true Marik fashion swaps the PPCs for large lasers, along with extra heat sinks and armor.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #7 on: 24 March 2019, 09:47:58 »
Very interesting unit... they'd definitely be even more interesting if they showed up on Foxhaven...  ^-^

Sharpnel

• Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 24 March 2019, 11:49:21 »
Very interesting unit... they'd definitely be even more interesting if they showed up on Foxhaven...  ^-^
I haven't seen that in a while
Consigliere Trygg Bender, CRD-3BL Crusader, The Blazer Mafia
Takehiro 'Taco' Uchimiya, SHD-2H Shadow Hawk 'Taco', Crimson Oasis Trading Company

"Of what use is a dream, if not a blueprint for courageous action" -Adam West
As I get older, I realize that I'm not as good as I once was.
"Life is too short to be living someone else's dream" - Hugh Hefner

avon1985

• Major
« Reply #9 on: 25 March 2019, 04:52:45 »
Sweet! :thumbsup: