Author Topic: Katydid Protomech  (Read 2978 times)

EDG

• Master Sergeant
Katydid Protomech
« on: 07 September 2022, 09:22:22 »
Katydid Protomech

Mass: 9 tons
Power Plant: 108 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 86.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 172.8 kph
Jump Jets:
     Jump Capacity: 0 meters
Armor: Standard
Armament:
     2 Machine Gun
     1 ER Small Laser
Manufacturer: Unknown
     Primary Factory: Unknown
Communication System: Unknown
Targeting & Tracking System: Unknown
Introduction Year: 3145
Tech Rating/Availability: F/X-X-X-E
Cost: 833,087 C-bills

Type: Katydid Protomech
Technology Base: Clan (Standard)
Tonnage: 9
Battle Value: 286

Equipment                                         Mass (kg)
Internal Structure                                  900
Engine                        108                 3,500
    Walking MP: 8
    Running MP: 12(16)
    Jumping MP: 0
Heat Sinks:                   2                     500
Cockpit:                                            500
Armor Factor:                 42                  2,100

Internal   Armor   
                          Structure  Value   
     Head                    2         6     
     Torso                   9         18   
     R/L Arm                2/2       4/4   
     Legs                    5         10   
     Main Gun                -         -     

Weapons
and Ammo                   Location        Mass   
Protomech Myomer Booster      BD            225
Machine Gun Ammo (55)         BD            275
ER Small Laser                T             500
Machine Gun                   LA            250
Machine Gun                   RA            250

And here are the Alpha Strike stats calculated with the Companion + Errata.

Katydid Protomech
Role: Striker (?)
PV: 16
TP: PM (Protomech)
SZ: 1
TMM: 4
MV 20"
S/M/L: 1/1/0
Armor: 1
Structure: 1
No Special Abilities

So on a whim I designed a Protomech! I wanted to see if it was possible to make a Protomech that was equivalent to an Inner Sphere LCT-1V Locust, and came up with this - which I named the Katydid (which is another kind of chirpy insect. Apparently "Cricket" is already taken by a battlemech?). OK, so the Clans wouldn't ever field a LCT-1V themselves, but they'd probably go up against them from time to time... look, just roll with it, OK? 🙂 .

The Katydid has less than half the mass of a Locust, but almost 2/3 of the armour (the maximum it can hold), a torso-mounted ER Small Laser (as much damage as the IS Med Laser, but shorter range), and two MGs (one on each arm) with a total of 55 shots. It can move at 8 Walk and 12 Run like the Locust, and can also sprint with its Myomer Booster for 16 if necessary.

End result: Weapons and armour are slightly inferior to the Locust but speed is equivalent (and can be faster) and the Katydid is half as massive, with a a total BV of 286 (about 66% of the 432 Battle Value of a LCT-1V) and about half the C-Bill cost as a LCT-1V (which is about 1.5-1.6 million?). I think I'd call that "Mission Accomplished" for the design goal. I checked the design in Megamek and that validated it so the calculations should be correct. For Alpha Strike I used the Companion with errata, it didn't seem to fit any of the Role definitions because it was faster than 20" but I think Striker came closest?

Compared to other Protomechs, the Katydid is as massive as a Minotaur but has more armour and is waaaay faster and costs less BV, but it packs a bit less of a punch (9 vs 14 damage) and its weapons range is shorter (though its speed would probably allow it to get closer to its target to be effective). And it's almost as fast as a Siren (faster if using its Myomer) and can deal a lot more damage than one of those. So it seems pretty decent on that front too.

So have I designed a monster here? I think it seems pretty nasty for a Protomech, especially if you have a full Point of them (sure, it could probably have a better weapon load but I wanted it specifically to be equivalent to a LCT-1V).

Anyone got any thoughts?
« Last Edit: 07 September 2022, 09:24:45 by EDG »

EDG

• Master Sergeant
Re: Katydid Protomech
« Reply #1 on: 07 September 2022, 09:32:43 »
I'm not actually sure if it should have a 20" move - it has a CBT Walking move of 8 hexes (16" in AS) but it has a Myomer Booster as well - should that count as a MASC/Supercharger for the purposes of multiplying the AS ground-based move by 1.25? I assumed would count as such (to get 20").

killfr3nzy

• Private
« Reply #2 on: 18 September 2022, 06:30:37 »
I don't know AS, but in CBT the ProtoMech booster is continually 'on' with no side-effects, giving it a Walk/Run of 8/16 .

Dragon Cat

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Not Dead Until I Say So
« Reply #3 on: 18 September 2022, 07:09:55 »
That's a cool design I'd use it
My three main Alternate Timeline with Thanks fan-fiction threads are in the links below. I'm always open to suggestions or additions to be incorporated so if you feel you wish to add something feel free. There's non-canon units, equipment, people, events, erm... Solar Systems spread throughout so please enjoy

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,20515.0.html - Part 1

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,52013.0.html - Part 2

https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,79196.0.html - Part 3

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 18 September 2022, 12:53:55 »
I don't know AS, but in CBT the ProtoMech booster is continually 'on' with no side-effects, giving it a Walk/Run of 8/16 .

You might want to reread the rules on that, then.  It activates like MASC, but doesn't increase in failure capacity, and only injures the pilot, not the ProtoMech.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

EDG

• Master Sergeant

killfr3nzy

• Private
« Reply #6 on: 04 November 2022, 08:29:04 »
You might want to reread the rules on that, then.  It activates like MASC, but doesn't increase in failure capacity, and only injures the pilot, not the ProtoMech.

Huh, must be from one of the many Errata I've yet to integrate.

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #7 on: 04 November 2022, 10:16:07 »
Huh, must be from one of the many Errata I've yet to integrate.

Nope, the only change Errata brings is mentioning a choice of using it to associate it with MASC's method of declaration as opposed to just when the Protomech moves too much. 

"ProtoMech Myomer Booster (p. 187)
Second sentence
Whenever a ProtoMech unit uses MP in excess of its standard movement (i.e. in the example above, expends MP of 10+), it must roll
2D6

Change to:
A ProtoMech unit can choose to engage the booster as it declares what movement mode it will use. Upon doing so, it must roll 2D6"

The result and damage to the Warrior is the last sentence, is not in the errata, and so has not been changed.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem