Author Topic: Help me build a star!  (Read 5142 times)

Kobold

• Master Sergeant
Help me build a star!
« on: 20 May 2011, 23:10:28 »
Well not really a true star...  More specifically, I am trying to build a force for my MekWars Clan Nova Cat detachment (see sig for link to our campaign).  My goal is to best use the Huey assault tank (no way am I going to correctly spell the Hutzwhatever).

Design goals:  I want to be over 9,000 BV for the total army, as I want to have enough slower moving heavier targets to make tagging them and hitting them happen often.  The army is meant to be fun and take advantage of Arrow IV launchers, though it'd be nice if it were effective.  I am willing to use only 4 mechs/vees if I am coming in closer to 9k.

Construction rules:  Our server requires at least two mechs in every army, and no more than 1 vee for every 2 mechs.  Also, no more than 1 infantry for every two mechs or vees.

I have a variety of 3050 initial clan invasion omnis to work with, but no more than 1 of each of the different heavies.  The only assault I have is a single Gargoyle.  I have access to multiple Hankyu, Dasher, and Koshi, as well as multiple elemental points with TAG.  I also have at least one Epona and Asshur Artillery spotter.  All vees are 4/5, all my mechs have 3/4 pilots, though I do have access to a single 2/4 pilot who can drive a heavy mech.

A few other odds and ends among my second line and salvaged mechs, including a Glass Spider, Wyvern IIC, WHM-IIC Shogun, Striker, and LGB-0W.

My main question is mostly the source of TAG, and how many should I use.  Is a single Hankyu Prime/Dasher A/Mist Lynx A enough?  Should I go with a Mech and an elemental?  Two elementals dropped off by mechs?  Elemental + Asshur?

After that I have historically favored heavy armor with long range weapons (Mad Cat B, Gargle D, Summoner D, WHM-IIC, Glass Spider, etc), and let my enemies come to me.

cray

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • How's it sit? Pretty cunning, don't you think?
Re: Help me build a star!
« Reply #1 on: 20 May 2011, 23:15:10 »
Well not really a true star...

Oh, cool, because I was going to say, "Just add lots of hydrogen." ;)
Mike Miller, Materials Engineer

**"A man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything." --Wash, Firefly.
**"Well, the first class name [for pocket WarShips]: 'Ship with delusions of grandeur that is going to evaporate 3.1 seconds after coming into NPPC range' tended to cause morale problems...." --Korzon77
**"Describe the Clans." "Imagine an entire civilization built out of 80’s Ric Flairs, Hulk Hogans, & Macho Man Randy Savages ruling over an entire labor force with Einstein Level Intelligence." --Jake Mikolaitis

Disclaimer: Anything stated in this post is unofficial and non-canon unless directly quoted from a published book. Random internet musings of a BattleTech writer are not canon.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Clan Hells Horses 666th Mech. Assualt Cluster
« Reply #2 on: 23 May 2011, 17:04:48 »
2 Huitzilopochtli AAA= 2,686 BV, 4/5 Modify for clan Tank standard.
Arctic Cheetah Prime 1,334 BV
2 Koshi, 1 and 2
Gargoyle Conal 2,580 BV ( Operational Turning Points: Red Corsair, p. 30 )

Should help you a little, maybe you might be able to squeeze in 2 Huey Points!  :)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
TT, we know you are the master of nasty  O0 ~ Fletch on 22 June 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016
Me: Would you rather fight my Epithymía Thanátou from the Whispers of Blake?
Nav_Alpha: That THING... that is horrid
~ Nav_Alpha on 10 October 2016

Kobold

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 24 May 2011, 00:04:23 »
Unfortunately our server rules restrict players to a maximum of 1 vehicle for every 2 mechs in a force.  This means that 2 Huey's would require 4 mechs.

Devens

• Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: 24 May 2011, 06:09:15 »
Unfortunately our server rules restrict players to a maximum of 1 vehicle for every 2 mechs in a force.  This means that 2 Huey's would require 4 mechs.

His force has 4 Mechs.  A Clan Point has 2 Vehicles to 1 Point leaving 4 open for mechs.

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 24 May 2011, 07:59:29 »
2 Huitzilopochtli AAA= 2,686 BV, 4/5 Modify for clan Tank standard.
Arctic Cheetah Prime 1,334 BV
2 Koshi, 1 and 2
Gargoyle Conal 2,580 BV ( Operational Turning Points: Red Corsair, p. 30 )

Should help you a little, maybe you might be able to squeeze in 2 Huey Points!  :)

TT

Fast Mechs and every single one has a TAG or light Tag to spot for the Arrows. The Koshi 1 can be found in Dark age Turning point Liao but is there a official RS for the 2 somewhere?

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #6 on: 24 May 2011, 09:35:38 »
but is there a official RS for the 2 somewhere?

Well if it is possible, put the stats into a mech program and remove the Probe and 4 SRM-4's and ammo, replacing them with arm mounted SSRM-6 with a ton of ammo each. Going reverse-engineering I get 4x 1 ton SRM4, 1x 1 ton Probe and 3x ammo? Assuming this, the the Streaks and ammo = to same tonnage.

BV should be a little cheaper too..

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse
That is, if true tanker doesn't beat me to it. He makes truly evil units.Col.Hengist on 31 May 2013
If I'm attacking you, conventional wisom says to bring 3x your force.  I want extra insurance, so I'll bring 4 for every 1 of what you have :D ~ Tai Dai Cultist on 21 April 2016

Kobold

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: 24 May 2011, 10:41:45 »
My bad, I didn't see the two Koshis listed.

However right now we're only set up for standard TRO variants of omnimechs.  Rather than worry about individual units, I'll just focus on the premise:  Basically two Hueys and everyone else has TAG?  What does the Gargoyle Conal normally carry for weapons?  (since I can't use that specifically, I'd like to know roughly what I could use to play the same role)

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #8 on: 24 May 2011, 10:58:54 »
Gargoyle Conal - Star Colonel Conal Ward used a custom configuration when he was commanding the 31st Wolf Solahma. Mounting a pair of ER PPCs in the right arm and a pair of Streak SRM-6 launchers in the left torso, the Gargoyle Conal could fight comfortably at long and short range. Each leg mounted a single A-Pod, and the center torso held an ECM Suite and a Light TAG unit for artillery spotting. BV (2.0) = 2,580

So 2 Hueys, a Gargoyle, a pair of Koshi 1's and a Arctic Cheetah for the win? Or just one Koshi and a pair of Arctic Cheetahs...  ;)

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: 24 May 2011, 12:50:53 »
My bad, I didn't see the two Koshis listed.

However right now we're only set up for standard TRO variants of omnimechs.  Rather than worry about individual units, I'll just focus on the premise:  Basically two Hueys and everyone else has TAG?  What does the Gargoyle Conal normally carry for weapons?  (since I can't use that specifically, I'd like to know roughly what I could use to play the same role)

The Conal is a canon Mech- but perhaps you want to look at the Black Lanner A?  Ebon Jaguar B? IIRC those carry a TAG as well.  Away from my pdfs right now, so cannot check.

Kobold

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: 24 May 2011, 22:48:50 »
Our server is still at 3050, no Lanners or Ebon Jaguars until the 3052 bump (we are introducing technology slowly over time), but I will keep that in mind.

However I do have a Huntsman (Nobori nin) which I believe has a TAG on the prime.  I'm just a little concerned using it as the only meat shield up from because it only has 169 armor.

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #11 on: 25 May 2011, 10:53:49 »
Our server is still at 3050, no Lanners or Ebon Jaguars until the 3052 bump (we are introducing technology slowly over time), but I will keep that in mind.

However I do have a Huntsman (Nobori nin) which I believe has a TAG on the prime.  I'm just a little concerned using it as the only meat shield up from because it only has 169 armor.

Well, that's "only" as much as it could possibly carry... ;) It's also a good bit tougher than any of the other spotters you were initially considering, it's still reasonably mobile, and it brings firepower of its own to the table as well. So unless you're dead set on specifically having a heavy or assault 'Mech being part of your TAG spotter lineup, I'd actually consider that one a fairly solid candidate.

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #12 on: 25 May 2011, 10:59:52 »
Huntsman Prime or even a E would round out the suggestion I gave.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 25 May 2011, 11:07:16 »

You are aware that the Huntsman is in the same TRO than the Ebon Jaguar and Black Lanner (TRO 3058u)?

The Ebon Jaguar was first fielded in the late 3040-ies, so fluff wise its completely legal to be included in a 3050 game. Just ask the Game Master/ Server Boss about it, perhaps you get lucky.

The Huntsman is a good choice, however.

edit: The Koshi is out however, as it is a Dark Age design. The Mist Lynx A has a TAG but do you really want that one?
« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 11:09:09 by Martius »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #14 on: 25 May 2011, 11:23:31 »
Then 2 Huey, 3 Artic Cheetah and 1 Gargoyle, a WTF  :o Star that should terroize anyone.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Martius

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 25 May 2011, 11:46:45 »
The Arctic Cheeta is in TRO... well- am sure you can guess it. Its out too.  :D 

As long as we don't know if 3050 Tech means 'only Mechs from TRO 3050u' or 'Mechs used by the Clans in 3050 fluff wise' its hard to suggest good units.

OTOH- in what TRO is the Huey?   :P

Kobold, I really suggest to talk to your GM. If only the clan units from 3050 can be chosen it will get a bit tight with vees. Sure, there are SL vees and some found in TRO 3039 and still be used by the Clans but you will miss some cool choices.
« Last Edit: 25 May 2011, 11:49:32 by Martius »

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #16 on: 25 May 2011, 11:49:20 »
Shortly after they began production in 3037, Clan Smoke Jaguar conquered the factory on Foster that produced the design, enabling the Jaguars the replace their Mist Lynx 'Mechs.

So yeah, he can use it, 3060 for the Huey.

TT
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

Kobold

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #17 on: 25 May 2011, 19:18:48 »
It is based on 3050 fluff-wise, using Xotl's rarity tables to determine the server build tables.  Once we advance our timeline the first click, we will be adding a bunch of post-Luthien, post-Tukaayid units (Lanner, Grendel, Turkina, etc).

It isn't exactly canon, but we wanted to hold off some clan units in part so clan players would also get new toys to play with when the IS players started getting their level 2 tech.

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #18 on: 25 May 2011, 21:29:03 »
Well Myself I would consider mixing my Vee point and use a Huey & a Donar-Recon.

As for mechs, mix up a bunch of 5/8 movers like a TimberWolf, Summoner, & Gargoyle. as well as an Arctic Cheetah as 2nd spotter.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

Kobold

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #19 on: 25 May 2011, 23:53:15 »
This raises a more general question:  When you're fighting almost exclusively on a lance/star level (MAYBE two lances against one star) are heavy support units like the Huey better off in a dedicated fire-support lance, or a single Huey supporting a lighter group of mechs?

Is something like a Huey + Donar worth the 3000 bv it'd cost, assuming the Huey spends the entire battle hiding behind a hill and never is exposed to enemy fire?

Hellraiser

• Colonel
  • Cry Havoc and Unleash the Gods of Fiat.
« Reply #20 on: 26 May 2011, 00:47:37 »
Is something like a Huey + Donar worth the 3000 bv it'd cost, assuming the Huey spends the entire battle hiding behind a hill and never is exposed to enemy fire?
Arti is one of those combat arms that works exponentially better the more you have.
I suppose more is better for all combat units but for Arti its really pronounced.
ONE Huey+Donar is probably not worth a 3K mech.
But if you had say a full STAR of 4 Donars & 6 Hueys lobbing 12 AC20's from 5 mapsheets away every turn, well then it starts to add up, A LOT
One Spotter is able to be tracked & shot down,  4 of them, not a chance.
A single Artillery piece is a nice bit of fluff extra damage,  12 homing Arrow rounds every turn will KILL a Dire Wolf in a single salvo.  That is the thing w/ homing rounds, its group fire, & multiple tag chances to land a hit and only one needs to succeed for the missiles to then all hit a single target.
3041: General Lance Hawkins: The Equalizers
3053: Star Colonel Rexor Kerensky: The Silver Wolves

"I don't shoot Urbanmechs, I walk up, stomp on their foot, wait for the head to pop open & drop in a hand grenade (or Elemental)" - Joel47
Against mechs, infantry have two options: Run screaming from Godzilla, or giggle under your breath as the arrogant fools blunder into your trap. - Weirdo

truetanker

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #21 on: 27 May 2011, 10:36:20 »
And don't forget that you can also use the Star Leaque systems, wheter it is standard or Royal. You could then call your unit a Secondline, as several fought in the Invasion.

TT

[edit] I forgot to add: You can also TAG the hex for that -4 to-hit, 12 rounds of A4 doing " splash " damage is enough to kill a D. Wolf as well. That's a +6 to the PSR!  :D

TT
« Last Edit: 27 May 2011, 11:57:25 by truetanker »
Khan, Clan Iron Dolphin
Azeroth Pocketverse

A. Lurker

• Major
« Reply #22 on: 27 May 2011, 12:53:09 »
And don't forget that you can also use the Star Leaque systems, wheter it is standard or Royal. You could then call your unit a Secondline, as several fought in the Invasion.

TT

[edit] I forgot to add: You can also TAG the hex for that -4 to-hit, 12 rounds of A4 doing " splash " damage is enough to kill a D. Wolf as well. That's a +6 to the PSR!  :D

TT

Um, homing missiles have a splash damage of all of 5 points. Which in the case of hitting the hex with a dozen of them still adds up to 60 total, and it's pretty much an auto-hit since if the missile fails to lock onto the TAG signal it'll apparently still strike the hex by default...but you also just used up 2.4 tons of expensive artillery missile ammo (for that turn only) to get an effect roughly comparable to a dozen medium laser or AC/5 hits. ;)

Register