Author Topic: MW5 DLC 6 -Solaris Showdown  (Read 1908 times)

Sapphirus

• Lieutenant
  • I dunno, here's Cirno shrugging...
« Last Edit: 22 February 2024, 14:57:40 by Sapphirus »

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
Re: MW5 DLC 6 -Solaris Showdown
« Reply #1 on: 22 February 2024, 18:46:23 »
very short gap too.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #2 on: 22 February 2024, 18:47:31 »
Here form the official page.
Greetings Mercenaries,

Piranha Games is pleased to announce a new expansion
MECHWARRIOR 5: MERCENARIES - SOLARIS SHOWDOWN
Fresh off a successful mission on the notorious Mercenary Star, Mason and crew journey to the Hardcore system where they collide with 'Mech pilot Duncan Fisher embarking on a quest to secure a spot in the FedCom Unification Tournament. Forming an unlikely alliance, Mason and Fisher traverse the shadows of Solaris, engage in harrowing 'Mech duels, and race against the clock to save the day - a true Solaris Showdown.

Join Duncan Fisher in a race against time to thwart the overthrow of the Solaris Council, discover the new Loader King 'Mech, select new weapons and equipment tailored for close-quarter engagements, and help save the very future of Solaris.

The sixth DLC for MechWarrior 5: Mercenaries will be released on March 14th at 00:00 UTC 2024

I was not expecting at ALL a Solaris DLC.   It certainly a different take for MW....but I'm little disappointed them making industrialmech as feature new original mech. 
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Akamia

• Captain
  • No challenge too great!
« Reply #3 on: 22 February 2024, 18:58:22 »
It's the Roughneck for all intents and purposes.

I'm excited for this, though! Glad to see Duncan in something official again!
Let's all go to Cargonia, land of stolen things
Obey the quartermaster unless he is a 'ling
Cargo techs guard the station and find more stuff to take
But the boss is never satisfied until the station breaks...

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: 23 February 2024, 01:04:06 »
It's the Roughneck for all intents and purposes.

Only two of the model numbers are similar (1A and 1B) between the Roughneck and the DLC page so I'm wondering if there will be new variants to be backported to MWO... and scared that PGI might try to 'Mech Pack the Loader King...

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: 23 February 2024, 06:33:09 »
I honestly don't expect they'll try any funny business with the Loader King variants if they get ported to MWO – as Roughnecks or otherwise. They call it by a different name – by their own lore for the thing, we shouldn't even be seeing true Roughnecks until 3050; I think they remembered that, which is why they aren't calling it a Roughneck – but ultimately it's the same ’Mech as far as gameplay is concerned. Only difference is the Loader King used to be just scenery, and notably unarmed. lol

If the new variants get ported, well, they might get ’Mech packed, though I expect it will come in the form of a booster pack rather than a full, dedicated Loader King pack. We might not see another porting of that particular nature until sometime after MW5Clans rolls out; new ’Mechs are all but guaranteed to be seen in there, in its own set of DLC if not the base game itself.

For all we really know, they might only port over one Loader King and make a Legendary Roughneck out of it. That's practically what they did with the Executioner-B C, which they called Sovereign.
« Last Edit: 23 February 2024, 06:56:01 by Akamia »

PeePeeSee

• Recruit
« Reply #6 on: 23 February 2024, 11:05:30 »
I think it would be hilarious if Duncan was an absolute idiot on the battlefield then after you carry the mission for him, he brags about how he won the day while hanging out in Valhalla.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: 23 February 2024, 11:47:40 »
Well, I mean, any NPC is only as good as the developers ability to code competent algorithms... lol

Seeing as he's apparently a target that you need to keep alive in some of these, I don't expect them to deliberately make him too terrible, if indeed the intent is to make him a bad fighter at all. Maybe he's supposed to be an actual badass, but unless he's being given a beast of a BattleMech, that may not actually show through very well. We'll see!
« Last Edit: 23 February 2024, 20:14:02 by Akamia »

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #8 on: 23 February 2024, 16:43:27 »
Interesting - they are doing the whole wishlist thing again - https://mwomercs.com/news/2024/02/2837-guess-whos-back-wishlist-solaris-showdown

But reward this time is "Duncan Fisher's Hero 'Mech and Warhorn" in MWO. So continuing discussion on backporting will it be the Loader King "Indomitable", the Corsair COR-LZ or something else entirely?

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #9 on: 23 February 2024, 17:09:20 »
Craaaaaaaap, its just the Teabowl in the trailer and an existing Solaris warhorn :( - https://mwomercs.com/forums/topic/286566-guess-whos-back-wishlist-solaris-showdown/page__view__findpost__p__6529572

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #10 on: 23 February 2024, 19:20:18 »
I would have paid extra have an original design introduced or a never seen design in the release.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #11 on: 11 March 2024, 17:53:25 »

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #12 on: 11 March 2024, 19:33:59 »
That King Crab smushing that Commando flat  :shocked:
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: 12 March 2024, 00:32:20 »
Once again, PGI's marketing team still don't seem to know what a "launch trailer" is...

I think it's probably continuing by inertia at this point, because surely there's no way after all this time they still don't know what that term means. lol

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #14 on: 12 March 2024, 20:04:39 »
https://mwomercs.com/news/2024/03/2841-countdown-to-launch-solaris-showdown

Countdown clock - release is 12am UTC on 14th.

So when I'm at work, of course.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: 23 March 2024, 14:43:29 »
So, playing it as I write this. There seems to be a lot of solo missions this time around; at the moment, I appear to be a mere spectator for my partner, who is the host of a modded game. lol

Duncan Fisher is still as fun as he always was. Glad to hear his voice again in something official. :D

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #16 on: 23 March 2024, 22:47:12 »
And done.

Honestly, while it was really fun seeing more Duncan, and his commentary is fire as always, I feel like nearly everything else needs work... I don't know how I feel about them porting the Solaris maps from MWO over to this game, but I don't think this was the best porting job. Not a single one of those maps were designed with more than 4 ’Mechs in mind, and in some of them, there was a significant risk someone could spawn inside terrain and get stuck, or in the case of some enemies, never spawn at all, and therefore softlocking the mission. Thankfully this never actually happened in Duncan Fisher's actual questline, but when my partners and I started doing normal arena missions...

This is quite possibly the first time I ever actually felt a DLC for the game wasn't something worth buying. I enjoyed all the others, even if the Career Mode starts designed to fast-track you into the content were poorly designed for that role. The story itself is fun, but the surrounding content is... barely functional at best. lol

It needs some fixes. The Liao Jungle map in particular needs some work, as the water there causes some crazy frame drops that I don't encounter anywhere else in the game.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #17 on: 23 March 2024, 23:13:40 »
I bought the game, but hadn't played it yet. Hope the are able to do fixes, but I got my doubts.

Akamia

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: 26 March 2024, 01:58:54 »
Well, apparently fixes are on the way! Let's see how effective they turn out to be!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #19 on: 26 March 2024, 11:57:44 »
I'll hold off playing until they do. I don't want my computer to explode.

PeePeeSee

• Recruit
« Reply #20 on: 26 March 2024, 13:34:17 »
Yes the Liao jungle arena is a framerate hog. My gpu jumped 25 C on that map. Normally I’m around 65 C during gameplay but that map pushed me up to 90. I  thought something was wrong with the gpu until I played a different map. Overall I like the Solaris dlc. It reminded me of call to arms. Not much story but the extra stuff like all the arena fights at industrial hubs add a lot more to the game.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #21 on: 27 March 2024, 19:04:14 »
There was update other night, did anyone try it?

Cyc

• Captain
    • CycKath at DeviantArt
« Reply #22 on: 28 March 2024, 01:09:08 »
It fixes some of the specific issues found in the Solaris Showdown missions, it supposedly makes the AI better but I still not seeing it in the Arena missions.

Last night was both a LOL and a sigh in a light duel against an UrbanMech (SA but normal PPC, thanks RNG) so had to trek across entire map watching bonus times countdown and because I approached from behind, didn't react until I shot him :(

Register