Author Topic: So how often do Jumpships go to Interstellar Mediums?  (Read 6272 times)

Giovanni Blasini

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • And I think it's gonna be a long, long time...
Re: So how often do Jumpships go to Interstellar Mediums?
« Reply #30 on: 05 June 2017, 22:45:44 »
Sure it is: JumpShips could actually go faster quick-charging their drives.
"Does anyone know where the love of God goes / When the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
-- Gordon Lightfoot, "The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald"

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #31 on: 06 June 2017, 16:27:49 »
Come to think about it, Belters that live in the Oort Cloud are effectively in interstellar medium. And JumpShips that they use just have to charge from their reactors.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #32 on: 06 June 2017, 21:39:10 »
True, but if a ship has a problem, they can holler for help, and expect to get it before the O2 runs out ... hopefully ;)
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #33 on: 07 June 2017, 21:38:10 »
Come to think about it, Belters that live in the Oort Cloud are effectively in interstellar medium. And JumpShips that they use just have to charge from their reactors.

I actually meant to point this out . . . no.  You will have solar energy reach everywhere . . . just is it useful quantities to recharge in a timely manner?
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 07 June 2017, 22:58:59 »
Short answer, no. In the Oort cloud, the Sun is just a very bright star. Solar charging will not be a viable option.
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

CrazyGrasshopper

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #35 on: 07 June 2017, 22:59:21 »
I actually meant to point this out . . . no.  You will have solar energy reach everywhere . . . just is it useful quantities to recharge in a timely manner?

There won't be enough energy. The density of the radiated energy decreases as the square of distance. The Oort starts in about 1000 AU from Sun, it's effectively in interstellar medium.
« Last Edit: 08 June 2017, 13:38:33 by CrazyGrasshopper »

Stinger

• Freelance Artist
  • Lieutenant
  • Artist, Writer, 3D Modeler Extraordinaire
« Reply #36 on: 08 June 2017, 10:57:39 »
I'm an engineer and I love the physics talk as much as the next guy, but holy cow you guys just murdered a whole crop of cat girls.

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
« Reply #37 on: 08 June 2017, 18:59:40 »
Catgirls don't belong in vacuum.

Remember, Fasanomics works if you assume that for every citizen of the Inner Sphere, there's a catgirl. But they're all too embarrassed to talk about them, which is why they don't appear in fiction, except for Niops. Thats' where all the extra economic production is sunk.

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #38 on: 09 June 2017, 00:18:59 »
Canon In Canopus!
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Kit deSummersville

• Precentor of Lies
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The epicness continues!
    • Insights and Complaints on Twitter
« Reply #39 on: 09 June 2017, 09:02:38 »
These days most JumpShips go to Interstellar Extra Larges.
Looking for an official answer? Check the Catalyst Interaction Forums.

Freelancer for hire, not an official CGL or IMR representative.

Everyone else's job is easy, so tell them how to do it, everyone loves that!

Millard Fillmore's favorite BattleTech writer.

Kovax

• Captain
  • Taking over the Universe one mapsheet at a time
« Reply #40 on: 09 June 2017, 09:54:27 »
A "medium" is one who can communicate with the spirit world, so an "Interstellar medium" would be a fortune-teller in space.  The Jumpships may not go to Interstellar Mediums, but the captains and crew might visit one on occasion.

Tai Dai Cultist

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #41 on: 09 June 2017, 10:18:51 »
A "medium" is one who can communicate with the spirit world, so an "Interstellar medium" would be a fortune-teller in space.  The Jumpships may not go to Interstellar Mediums, but the captains and crew might visit one on occasion.

You're right, because the plural form of the other kind of medium is media.  The title doesn't ask how often do JumpShips enter Interstellar Media.

kato

• Captain
« Reply #42 on: 11 June 2017, 09:03:23 »
In-universe, historically, we have 15-light-year KF drives as the eminent jump system. If you look at a map of the inner Inner Sphere, 15 LY jumps tie you down to specific routes to a large extent if you only use settled systems; for example, about any route from Terra anti-spinward - and there's a large number of early colonies there - would run via New Earth.

One could also deduct that the early spread and ubiquitous installation of recharging stations specifically along such routes - read: about every settled system in the early colonization phase - means that these routes were also used predominantly for shipping; that other avenues - unsettled systems or interstellar medium, even non-standard jump points in-system - tended to be pretty much a negligible factor can be seen largely in the fact that canonically, troop convoys are attacked at known jump points throughout the next millenium.

Caedis Animus

• Captain
  • How can a bird be sultry? Very carefully.
« Reply #43 on: 11 June 2017, 11:08:05 »
I completely misread a comment. Or actually left off a sentence when I read it.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #44 on: 15 June 2017, 14:29:57 »
in bt universe ships do not go out too often into the interstellar void...
they go to already scouted and routed points
as far as i remember the only exception to that rule on regular basis would be explorer corps
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

glitterboy2098

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • The Temple Grounds - My Roleplaying and History website
« Reply #45 on: 16 June 2017, 01:01:56 »
even explorer corps mostly jumps to points above/below stars. they just don't know what is around said stars till they get there.

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #46 on: 16 June 2017, 10:30:47 »
Jumping into the void between the stars can be unnerving, as you're left without a reference point for lightyears in all directions.
A canon example of a JumpShip going there is the BC story Echoes in the Void. So it does happen.

I reckon, though, that the most frequent reason for JumpShips going into deep space far from any star system would be misjump where they miss their destination jump point by a light-year or more. So involuntarily and by accident; not that there's any good reason to go there.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins

Frabby

• Major
« Reply #47 on: 16 June 2017, 10:32:31 »
Jumping into the void between the stars can be unnerving, as you're left without a reference point for lightyears in all directions.
A canon example of a JumpShip going there is the BC story Echoes in the Void. So it does happen.

I reckon, though, that the most frequent reason for JumpShips going into deep space far from any star system would be a misjump where they miss their destination jump point by a light-year or more. So involuntarily and by accident; not that there's any good reason to go there.
Sarna.net BattleTechWiki Admin
Author of the BattleCorps stories Feather vs. Mountain, Rise and Shine, Proprietary, Trial of Faith & scenario Twins