Author Topic: manga time so what are you reading now? (Links may be NSFW)  (Read 132578 times)

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
Re: manga time so what are you reading now?
« Reply #90 on: 13 September 2015, 12:03:37 »
So who's following T-REX na Kanojo (roughly: "She's a T-Rex")?
Let's see...
So this time it is monster girls based on dinosaurs. That makes for a change to monster girls from mythology, religions, costumes and whatnot...
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #91 on: 13 September 2015, 12:19:33 »
Let's see...
So this time it is monster girls based on dinosaurs. That makes for a change to monster girls from mythology, religions, costumes and whatnot...
No Harem though and the 'dinosaur girls' have been out in open from beginning in the setting. The male MC is a little more aggressive romantically while the female MC is a bit...simple but comes off as a tsundere.
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #92 on: 13 September 2015, 12:41:54 »
Been reading through DBZ, and rereading some of Junji Ito's works.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

idea weenie

• Major
« Reply #93 on: 13 September 2015, 15:57:57 »
I'm enjoying Ooku, where a plague goes around and kills off 3/4 of Jana's men.  How does the society change as a result, how are people named, what happens when a samurai family is poor but has a son, etc.  Have books 1-9, book 12 has come out in Japanese, but Book #11 is expected to release in English this November, so I am waiting for all 3 to get the group.
« Last Edit: 13 September 2015, 16:00:20 by idea weenie »

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #94 on: 14 September 2015, 00:34:46 »
Angel Densetsu  had finally got around reading it after having it bouncing about for 2 years
funny touching and bit preachy
manga is about a boy who has the most evil looking face that makes every one think he is the worst sort of delinquent...but in reality the boy is the sweetest most kind individual that would not hurt a fly...
needles to say lots of misunderstandings occur
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #95 on: 14 September 2015, 13:56:32 »
I found a manga called Mushoku Tensei - Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu  , it's slow to update but it's fun to read.
It's about man who is reborn in magical worlds, really reborn.  However, it retains his wisdom from when he was alive in Earth just like us.  He had issues, was shuttin but died saving someone else.   Manga is bad on novel, but despite it being little Ecchi, its funny and pretty well done for what is.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #96 on: 14 September 2015, 14:22:55 »
Honto no Kanojo is totally twisted yuri romance! Hoping to see much MUCH more!

I found a manga called Mushoku Tensei - Isekai Ittara Honki Dasu  , it's slow to update but it's fun to read.
It's about man who is reborn in magical worlds, really reborn.  However, it retains his wisdom from when he was alive in Earth just like us.  He had issues, was shuttin but died saving someone else.   Manga is bad on novel, but despite it being little Ecchi, its funny and pretty well done for what is.
Ooh! I've seen manga like that, but main character was a girl. I've forgot title. Could someone remind me?
You know what they say, don't you? About how us MechWarriors are the modern knights errant, how warfare has become civilized now that we have to abide by conventions and rules of war. Don't believe it.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #97 on: 14 September 2015, 14:59:15 »
Honto no Kanojo is totally twisted yuri romance! Hoping to see much MUCH more!

Ooh! I've seen manga like that, but main character was a girl. I've forgot title. Could someone remind me?
Main character is boy, he has alot friends who are girls. He roughly 8 years old boy body wise, 34 years old mentally. There elves, cat girls, etc, and so on who are considered to be (demons).  He learning magic and trying make himself a better person in second chance in life.  This isn't slice of life thing, this is world has blood and gore, just smart enough to get by.  He's currently staying with his richy uncle's home, teaching his 10 year old female cousin how to read and know start to do magic.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #98 on: 15 September 2015, 10:07:45 »
Hey everyone.

For those who like fantasy and comedy, i came across manga called, Dungeon Meshi

Oddy entertaining story about a guy who looses is sister to monster, is determined to save her before she get digested.  Normally, I'm 110% not into food mangas, but this one is pretty good.

Siden Pryde

• Warrant Officer
  • Papermaster
« Reply #99 on: 15 September 2015, 10:13:30 »
Started re-reading Negima while waiting for the next volume of UQ Holder.  Probably one of my favourite series, though the ending could have been a lot better.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2015, 10:15:17 by Siden Pryde »

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #100 on: 15 September 2015, 11:58:22 »
Started re-reading Negima while waiting for the next volume of UQ Holder.  Probably one of my favourite series, though the ending could have been a lot better.

I'm big fan of the series too.  Bough all the slim manga verses the repackaged omni bundles.
UQ Holder going well, though it feels like it's hit rut in this training time their doing.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #101 on: 15 September 2015, 12:31:52 »
Is manga better than anime?

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #102 on: 15 September 2015, 15:00:23 »
Is manga better than anime?
at least in my case yes
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #103 on: 15 September 2015, 15:38:25 »
To me the manga was better for Negima, it had been in the position of being popular enough for the publishers want promote more than once with anime.   There been at least two animes done of it, frankly second one more a launch pad for second part of Negima's manga than continuing the anime.  The anime was self-contained story, especially near the end of it.

Manga kept going on, from what i've read at burn of the author who had wanted to do it differently.  He's doing it now with UQ Holder, but it's turning into something else now.  It went off being a non-harem / non-romcom story but action / adventure and morphing into scifi/drama with romancing in the background.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #104 on: 06 October 2015, 13:26:30 »
I've discovered a interesting manga called Youkai Shoujo - Monsuga.  It's based around boy who turns out to have a gift see and talk to supernatural.  He meets various Japanese supernatural / demons/ ghosts/ spiritually powerful humans as time goes by. 

Its setup not unlike typical harem except its has purpose, sort of home for wandering Youkai (demons) who aren't hostile to humans.  At first i thought this was going be not unlike Monster Musume, but it's not. It serious, with light & modest a mount of fan service moment. Not a romantic comedy, but its super natural adventure/light-mystery sort of deal.  I don't think it's been imported to the US, but certainly interesting read so far.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #105 on: 16 October 2015, 12:49:38 »
Just finished Volume 6 of Youko x Boku SS...that was freaking sad! ;_;
Clan Blood Spirit - So Bad Ass as to require Orbital Bombardments to wipe us out....it is the only way to be sure!

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #106 on: 16 October 2015, 15:26:39 »
Having never read it, i've begun to read Hayate the Combat Butler. I actually not seen the anime either except the very last series they put out with the hand watch, but i had no clue.  Manga much better, i can see why it spawned anime series or two.

A new one i started was also Chain Chronicles, which is wizard who trying be warrior.  Its actually not corny as it sounds.

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #107 on: 16 October 2015, 15:52:32 »
Er does anyone know what happened to Youko x Boku SS? I just learned the author died :(

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #108 on: 16 October 2015, 17:09:06 »
Having never read it, i've begun to read Hayate the Combat Butler. I actually not seen the anime either except the very last series they put out with the hand watch, but i had no clue. 

Oh, you poor soul. Can't Take My Eyes Off You is why Manglobe was the anime studio I disliked the most. First two seasons (from SynergySP, and then JC Staff) were infinitely better, and Hayate is easily one of my favorite manga! Hata's dark humor is hilarious, and the light-touch character drama resonates with me emotionally.

MadCapellan

• Furibunda Scriptorem
  • Freelance Writer
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • In the name of Xin Sheng, I will punish you!
    • Check out the anime I've seen & reviewed!
« Reply #109 on: 16 October 2015, 19:03:08 »
Er does anyone know what happened to Youko x Boku SS? I just learned the author died :(

Last volume was No.11. To my knowledge, the story was fully concluded. It was never specified what Fujiwara-sensei's cause of death was beyond a personal illness, but she died at the tender age of 31, leaving her last manga, Katsute Maho Shojo to Aku wa Tekitai Shiteita, unfinished.

Reldn

• Lieutenant
« Reply #110 on: 16 October 2015, 19:54:34 »
Currently halfway through Omnibus 2 of "Lone Wolf and Cub" now.

3rd Lyran Guards
2nd Oriente Hussars
Scorpion Empire Tau & Seeker Galaxy

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #111 on: 16 October 2015, 22:10:06 »
Yesterday evening I started to read Tomo-chan wa Onnanoko!, or as translated: Tomo-can is a girl! It is about childhood friends going high school. One of them keeps forgetting other is a girl. And he isn't the only one! I lost hour of sleep becouse of this!

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #112 on: 17 October 2015, 08:22:01 »
Currently halfway through Omnibus 2 of "Lone Wolf and Cub" now.
some of the best manga i read

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #113 on: 17 October 2015, 08:49:45 »
I'm going to be ordering Volumes 7 & 8 of Sacred Blacksmith. I enjoy the manga version of that better than the anime, mainly because the female MC is portrayed more believably as a knight.
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust

HobbesHurlbut

• Captain
  • Live Free or Die Hard
« Reply #115 on: 17 October 2015, 14:50:59 »
Huzzah!

Top Sergeant

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Major
  • Swamp Angels Mercenary Regiment
« Reply #116 on: 23 October 2015, 23:13:12 »
I was in Barnes & Noble today and picked up the first two volumes of The Ancient Magus' Bride. I've finished both and I must say I'm really enjoying this story.  O0
We hear that there are tumults and riots in Rome, and that voices are raised concerning the army and the quality of our soldiers. Make haste to reassure us that you love and support us as we love and support you, for if we find that we have left our bones to bleach in these sands in vain, then beware the fury of the legions.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #117 on: 01 November 2015, 03:02:39 »
re reading old fave of mine

BOKKO

still good ....

Matti

• Major
  • In Rory we trust
« Reply #118 on: 08 November 2015, 00:32:20 »
In Domestic na Kanojo high school guy gets laid. Then his single father says he's getting married again. And fiancee has daughters. Guess who is guy's new sister?

ANS Kamas P81

• Colonel
  • Reimu sees what you have done.
« Reply #119 on: 08 November 2015, 06:47:03 »
It's a manga, Japan has a fetish for not-incest.
Der Hölle Rache kocht in meinem Herzen,
Tod und Verzweiflung flammet um mich her!
Fühlt nicht durch dich Jadefalke Todesschmerzen,
So bist du meine Tochter nimmermehr!

Register