Author Topic: Errata Discussion Thread - Questions HERE, not in Errata Threads  (Read 305893 times)

Scotty

• Alpha Strike Guru by appointment to the FWLM
  • Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
Re: Errata Discussion Thread - Questions HERE, not in Errata Threads
« Reply #600 on: 22 June 2015, 17:20:10 »
I put it in this thread because it specifically says "Questions HERE" :D

The Vulcan is up on my next Alpha Strike 'Mech of the Week article, so that's a little unfortunate.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #601 on: 22 June 2015, 17:27:17 »
The MUL thread is kind of a weirdo.  If you have any questions concerning it, they definitely fit best there.  Thanks.
3028-3057 Random Assignment Tables -
Also contains faction deployment & rarity info.

http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=1219.0

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #602 on: 05 July 2015, 02:01:23 »
So, apparently, I never updated my copy of AToW when the second printing was released (and the download link is expired, which means I have to bug the support guys to see if they can reactivate it).

Did this
EDIT by Paul:

Battle Armor and encumbrance:

p. 169:
"Encumbering Items: A character already encumbered by
weight limit issues who in turn carries encumbering equipment
raises his encumbrance factor by one level. For example, if a
character with a STR of 5 is carrying more than 30 kg of gear, he
is considered encumbered; if he also is wearing a suit of ballistic
plate armor (noted as an encumbering item in its statistics), the
character is treated as if very encumbered."

AFTER THIS ADD:
"Battle Armor: To determine encumbrance when wearing Battle Armor, use the operators STR and apply a bonus based on the suit type: PA(L) = +1 STR, Light = +2 STR, Medium = +4 STR, Heavy = +6 STR and Assault = +8 STR. An additional +4 STR bonus applies if the suit has a Myomer Booster."

p. 216:
"Other Features"

BELOW THIS ADD:

"Has Myomer Booster   +0M/12   +2   +2"

ever make it into the updated version, because I'm not seeing it in the errata document.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #603 on: 05 July 2015, 02:49:09 »
This was added to the second printing, but it seems it was missed in the errata.  I'll update the errata immediately.  Thanks for the catch.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #604 on: 05 July 2015, 02:54:27 »
Good to know while I am waiting to actually get my copy updated.

There isn't a note that myomer boosters negate stealth bonuses, though, is there?  I remember asking about it a while ago, but it's not something I remember making it into any errata.

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #605 on: 05 July 2015, 03:06:07 »
Not that I'm aware of.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #606 on: 05 July 2015, 03:12:26 »
I thought as much.

An unfortunate omission

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #607 on: 05 July 2015, 03:16:57 »
If you could find the thread in question I'd appreciate it.

BirdofPrey

• Major
« Reply #608 on: 05 July 2015, 03:56:53 »
Ah, that's in my (second) BA questions thread of doom, though I am certain I mentioned it elsewhere too.
http://bg.battletech.com/forums/a-time-of-war/(research)-ba-questions-continued/

Also a small note.  I noticed with the recent AToW errata the vehicular stealth table on pg. 218 got an update, but I should note BA Myomer boosters are supposed to prevent BA from hiding due to the heat output so for the next eratta round (whenever that is) you should probably add a note that BA with a myomer booster always have 0 for their I rating.

The relevant rule for TW scale play is in TO Pg. 287
Battlesuits equipped with Myomer Boosters generate excessive heat, making them incapable of operating as hidden units and rendering any Stealth
or Mimetic Armor ineffective. ECM systems will still affect other electronic systems that pass through the ECM “bubble,” but the suits themselves remain
visible on sensors due to their heat signature.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #609 on: 06 July 2015, 17:49:15 »
p77, Cluster artillery munitions (section begins on previous page)
after
"For targets outside the original template but within the expanded AoE template, the cluster artillery delivers half its modified damage (rounded down)."
add
"An initial value of 1 would be halved to 0* (see Minimal Damage p XX)."

Does that also affect Thumper cluster shots?  The damage technically starts at 1, reduced by 1 for the cluster to 0, and I don't actually know whether that would be 0* all around or not.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Kansas City players, or people who are just passing through the area, come join us at the Geekery just off Shawnee Mission Parkway for BattleTech!  Current days are Tuesdays in the afternoon and evening.  I can't make every single week, but odds are pretty good that somebody will be there.

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #610 on: 06 July 2015, 17:56:25 »
check the updated errata post and see if that covers it?
Alpha Strike Introduction resources
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #611 on: 06 July 2015, 17:58:17 »
Certainly does.  Thanks for the quick responses.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!
« Reply #612 on: 09 July 2015, 07:56:23 »
http://www.masterunitlist.info/Unit/Details/6625/scourge-scg-wf1

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/File:Scourge.jpg

The unit image for the Scourge SCG-WF1 on the MUL does not match the image in TRO:3145 Lyran Commanwealth (Sarna link to original image provided above for reference). Is the current image on the MUL for the other variant (SCG-WD1) of the Scourge? Or is it for a new version of the Scourge, one that hasn't been published yet?

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #613 on: 09 July 2015, 08:22:18 »
Scourge image fixed.
Left of Center blog - Nashira Campaign for A Game of Armored Combat, TP 3039 Vega Supplemental Record Sheets

Dohon

• Corporal
  • Beware the bear!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #615 on: 11 July 2015, 21:21:26 »
So I'm looking at Remote Sensor Dispensers in Alpha Strike, and struggling to divine any magical secret about why I should bother or care about them.  Probes uncover hidden units much, much better and more effectively, they're fragile, and a +3 in addition to normal indirect fire mods when spotting is crippling beyond anything could possibly useful in Alpha Strike.  A cumulative +4 in order to hit indirectly?  Utterly, completely not worth it.

So, I guess my question is: was that +3 decided on for Alpha Strike, or did it carry over from standard?  It seems... prohibitively high for Alpha Strike, where I've not ever seen anything get that high (especially in addition to more inherent mods!).
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #616 on: 11 July 2015, 21:33:59 »
Intentional as they are. 

Liam's Ghost

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Miss Chitty finds your honor rules quaint.
« Reply #617 on: 11 July 2015, 22:38:00 »
Given how insanely easy it would be to flood a battlefield with remote sensors, the limitations seem vital to avoid retroactively invalidating large amounts of existing electronic warfare equipment.
Good news is the lab boys say the symptoms of asbestos poisoning show an immediate latency of 44.6 years. So if you're thirty or over you're laughing. Worst case scenario you miss out on a few rounds of canasta, plus you've forwarded the cause of science by three centuries. I punch those numbers into my calculator, it makes a happy face.

(indirect accessory to the) Slayer of Monitors!

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #618 on: 11 July 2015, 22:59:40 »
I found a use for them.  Carry on.

I may edit the use I found for them into the artillery article at some point.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #619 on: 13 July 2015, 13:02:19 »
A quick perusal of the Companion on a whim discovers that NOVA equipment does not actually pay a points premium for the C3 capabilities it brings to the table.  It is notably absent from the Offensive Blanket Multipliers Table (Ground Units) on pg. 139.  Since NOVA deliberately doesn't get to swap between units in the end phase, I was curious if this omission was deliberate?
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #620 on: 13 July 2015, 13:49:39 »
I was going through the MUL.

Question: Phoenix Hawk LAM Mk 1,  it's role is NONE.  What heck that suppose to to mean?  Multi-mission Unit not good enough or scout which LAMs excel at be not a good role for it?
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #621 on: 13 July 2015, 13:51:27 »
NOVA counts as c3 equipment.

None for role is the default, we haven't assigned one.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #622 on: 13 July 2015, 13:53:57 »
NOVA counts as c3 equipment.

None for role is the default, we haven't assigned one.

It does, explicitly so in the Special description.  However, it does not actually give any sort of C3 that goes in the Special box, and NOVA is not mentioned in the Blanket Offensive Force Modifiers (Ground) Table (Which explicitly mentions C3 Specials, not equipment that acts like C3). 
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

nckestrel

• Scientia Bellator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #623 on: 13 July 2015, 13:57:32 »
It does, explicitly so in the Special description.  However, it does not actually give any sort of C3 that goes in the Special box, and NOVA is not mentioned in the Blanket Offensive Force Modifiers (Ground) Table (Which explicitly mentions C3 Specials, not equipment that acts like C3).

So this isn't a question, we both know NOVA is C3 and should have the C3 cost, you just want (or NOVA) added as errata?

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #624 on: 13 July 2015, 14:10:41 »
Yes.  I figured it'd be better to clarify that I wasn't making an erroneous assumption in this thread than in the actual Errata thread.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

EvilOverlordX

• Sergeant
« Reply #625 on: 13 August 2015, 15:02:56 »
Not to belabor the point, but swath and swathe have different definitions:

swath: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/swath?s=t

swathe: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/swathe?s=t

Xotl

• Dominus Erratorum
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • Professor of Errata
« Reply #626 on: 13 August 2015, 15:07:14 »
Not to belabor the point, but swath and swathe have different definitions:

swath: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/swath?s=t

swathe: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/swathe?s=t

In American English, yes.  In British English the there is no noun/verb spelling separation (see Cambridge, Oxford dictionaries).

Please keep discussion to this thread.  Thanks.

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #627 on: 13 August 2015, 15:40:02 »
Now that we have LAMs in IO, should the way they're handled (particularly AirMech to-hit modifiers) be changed for Alpha Strike?  As is, they're currently still getting the +5 or +6 TMM they used to get for WIGE movement of that distance.
Catalyst Demo Agent #679

ColBosch

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Legends Never Die
« Reply #628 on: 13 August 2015, 15:42:48 »
Now that we have LAMs in IO, should the way they're handled (particularly AirMech to-hit modifiers) be changed for Alpha Strike?  As is, they're currently still getting the +5 or +6 TMM they used to get for WIGE movement of that distance.

I say they should get a flat +4 "TMM" to represent off-angle evasive movement. It seems like a nice simplification for AS.
BattleTech is a huge house, it's not any one fan's or "type" of fans.  If you need to relieve yourself, use the bathroom not another BattleTech fan. - nckestrel
1st and 2nd Succession Wars are not happy times. - klarg1
Check my Ogre Flickr page! https://flic.kr/s/aHsmcLnb7v and https://flic.kr/s/aHsksV83ZP

Scotty

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Colonel
« Reply #629 on: 13 August 2015, 15:46:56 »
They're also not suffering to-hit mods for their exceptional speed, unlike in standard, and evasive only ups the penalties.  There'd need to be some sort of offensive penalty for +4 to be warranted or balanced.

EDIT: basically, "why not always use AirMech mode?" needs to be addressed in Alpha Strike, too.
« Last Edit: 13 August 2015, 15:48:33 by Scotty »
Catalyst Demo Agent #679