Author Topic: Step by step: Red desert/martian bases  (Read 3678 times)

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
Step by step: Red desert/martian bases
« on: 25 August 2019, 00:07:28 »
Hi all,

I've been asked a couple of times here and elsewhere to give a run down on how I paint quick-and-dirty red desert bases, which can represent either martian, outback or anywhere other environment characterised by large areas of flat red sand and rock.

What I did                                                                                       What I was trying to do

1. What You Need

In order of appearance, you'll need some kind of sculptable filler, I prefer air-drying clay for basing work, but you could probably use green stuff or some other putty to equal effect. For texture I use Vallejo brown earth, as it has very fine grain size, and lastly you'll need some paint. I'm sure the right colour exists, but I use a mix of Vallejo Amaranth red and sand brown, and mix in some bone white for highlights.
Tools wise, you'll need some sort of tool to poke things into place, I use a steel dental tool, and you'll need paintbrushes and drybrushes. Don't waste your good brushes on this job.

2. preparing the base

I work with the miniature on the base, as I find the results are stronger if the miniature is firmly anchored to the base by its own platform. It's important to make sure the miniatures feet are neither recessed into the base, nor raised too far above the top of the rim. Of course, if you're working with plastics, the work is done for you. Use this opportunity to clean up any mold lines on the base edge. If you're working on the IWM bases, the mold lines are pretty prominent, so you might need to hit it with a rotary tool to achieve a flat surface.

3. building up the base

Next you need to level the base out as much as possible. For this I use air-drying clay, which you can push into the gaps fairly easily, and comes off with a bit of water, so is easy to clean up. You can also use a brush with water to smooth away any finger prints, tool marks or brush strokes in the surface. The clay will shrink as it sets, so you may need to do it twice to get things right, but it's very forgiving (if a bit messy) to work with. This should be left to set overnight before continuing.

4. Applying the texture

This is where the brown earth comes in. Once you're happy with the general shape, and it's had time to set, grab an old brush and slap some brown earth over it. I make this layer quite thin, in keeping with the flat desert look I was going for. be careful not to leave any smooth patches, or put any unwanted texture on the base edge or the miniature. If you're quick you can clean up mistakes with a bit of water, and as with the clay, water can be used over the top to smooth away brush strokes. Once again, ensure adequate drying time before you move on, as you don't want the colour of the brown earth mixing with your paint. I recommend finishing this step before any paint goes on the miniature (I don't always follow my own advice).

5. Base Coat

I use a roughly equal mix of 71.034 Sand Brown, and 70.829 Amaranth. Water down so it gets in between all the texture, and invades any cracks in the base. Two coats normally gets the job done.

6. Drybrush

Starting with the basecoat colour, mix in either white or beige, and drybrush over the raised parts of the texture.  I normally do this three times, with progressively lighter colour and less paint applied to give the appearance of depth.
I also let some of this get on the feet and lower legs of the miniature, to give the appearance of a coat of dust.

7. Finishing

Once you're happy with the drybrushing, paint the edge of the base. I find this looks best in either black or dark brown, but that's down to personal preference. The main thing is keep it thin, nothing's worse than a great looking base ruined by a big brush-blob of paint on the edge.

If you want to see some finished examples, have a look at my Donegal Guards in the miniatures section of the forum: https://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php?topic=62692.0

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
Re: Step by step: Red desert/martian bases
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2019, 03:35:29 »
Fantastic guide, thanks Phobos101!  :thumbsup:

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2019, 03:45:15 »
Certainly, a good result. Alternatively, find a clay tennis court. Take a jar, and collect the grit that collects around the edge of the court. Run through a sieve to remove sticks, grind down any larger bits if you don't want larger bits, and store in a jar.

Build up the base as per Phobos101's instructions. I'd usually just paint the top of the base with brown or red-brown. When dry, 'paint' with white glue. Hold the mini over a small pot (or spare IWM mini blister), and sprinkle the red sand over the glue. Brush off any bits that go over the edge. And you're done.

Found flock - more than worth what you pay for it! Just make sure the grain is fine, otherwise it looks like the mini's wading through rocks.
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Phobos101

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: 25 August 2019, 07:53:47 »
find a clay tennis court.

Those are... outside, right?  ;D

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #4 on: 25 August 2019, 10:58:34 »

Yes, where the Big, Bright, Hot, Shiny Sky God is in the Sky.
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

mbear

• Stood Far Back When The Gravitas Was Handed Out
  • Major
    • Tower of Jade
« Reply #5 on: 26 August 2019, 09:14:42 »

Yes, but you can use an umbrella as a shield to protect your tender skin from the Harsh Rays.

Edit: Worktroll, what about using that chalk used to outline sportsball fields as snow? Do you think that would work? Or hell, just sidewalk chalk that's been powdered on sandpaper or something. You could get some interesting color combinations, right?
Be the Loremaster:

Battletech transport rules take a very feline approach to moving troops in a combat zone: If they fits, they ships.

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your BT experience. Now what? (Thanks Sartis!)

CranstonSnord

• Catalyst Demo Team
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: 26 August 2019, 09:48:55 »
For puffy snow drifts, I've used white PVA glue and baking soda with good results:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/ZCRPwPekc4Ckgmbv7

Just mix in baking soda until it's the consistency of toothpaste, then spread it on and let it dry.

NeonKnight

• Freelance Writer
  • Major
  • Cause Them My Initials!
« Reply #7 on: 26 August 2019, 09:54:34 »
I just feel I really need to point out...MODEL RAILWAY supplies.

They have a TON-O-STUFF that is great for bases, and obviously designed for long use, and honestly often way cheaper than what one would find in a Game Store (looking at YOU here games Workshop!).
AGENT #575, Vancouver Canada

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #8 on: 26 August 2019, 14:11:54 »
I'm a great believer in railway hobby supplies, especially for vegetation, but for non-veg surfaces you just can't beat found items.

Apart from the clay court grit, keep an eye open for building sites. The thing is you want small grain size - otherwise the mini looks like it's wading through boulders (which isn't always a bad look). Also, garden works can be a great supply of rock & scoria chips which make big boulders on bases.

My triumph? Went to a garden supply store, and asked for samples of different soils/sands. Told them I was a model railroad enthusiast (safer than trying to explain robots). They gave me half a dozen plastic bags, and I now have half a dozen kilos of different coloured soils & sands. You need to let them dry out, then sieve them for lumps, but it's free and plentiful!

My wierdest ones: a pinkish/orangeish sand/dust I found in the carpack of a racecourse, and coffee grounds from Nespresso pods. And Weirdo's used artifical sweetener as snow with great effect.

Examples provided on request!
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #9 on: 26 August 2019, 19:34:23 »
*snip*
And Weirdo's used artifical sweetener...
*snip*
You do realize that parses in unexpected ways, right?  :D

Register