Author Topic: Operation Revival Omnimech Review: Nova (IS Code Name: Black Hawk)  (Read 26315 times)

jklantern

• LAM of Shame
  • Major
  • Designated Snack Officer of the Diamond Khanate
Re: Operation Revival Omnimech Review: Nova (IS Code Name: Black Hawk)
« Reply #30 on: 19 August 2014, 19:04:14 »
The jade falcons did something smart for a change lol

It kinda peeves me that the Horses weren't the ones to do this.  One, because the Horses invented the damn thing, and two, it means the Falcons have YET ANOTHER DESIGN that I really like.
I'm not sure how long you've been around on the forums, though you have a thousand posts. Never take anything JKlantern says seriously unless it's about food.

Trajan Helmer

• Lieutenant
  • Better and calmer than you
« Reply #31 on: 19 August 2014, 20:26:28 »
Join the Jade Side, we have all your favorite 'mechs...and talon-shaped cookies!
Anyone can redesign the Hellbringer's base chassis.  Real men work only with the pod loadout- Natasha K (forum poster)

Do not taunt Happy Fun Aegis. http://bg.battletech.com/forums/index.php/topic,42045.msg968574.html#msg968574

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
  • It's just my goth phase
« Reply #32 on: 19 August 2014, 20:53:59 »
Just say no to Angry Birds.
Warning: this post may contain sarcasm.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

"When in doubt, C4." Jamie Hyneman

grimlock1

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: 03 December 2017, 01:25:30 »
Designs like the H leave me scratching my head.  Yeah, seems like a "good" idea to design a mech to be heat neutral on a running alpha, we know that's not always the case.  Salvo patterns and bracket fire let you bring a lot more boom to the party and still keep the heat under control.  Others like the Warhawk Tara, you hold back  and save that big hit for good odds and hope the dice still like you on the shutdown roll.  I'm not likely to make that play but I understand the thought process.

The Nova H, on the other hand, or say the Hunchie IIC 2, I can't quite wrap my head around.  If you fire 9 of the 10 HMLs on that mech, you have a 42% chance of avoiding that shutdown.  Yeah, you'll be down looking at -4 MP and +3 TH, but if you planned well, you can at least waddle to cover. But if you fire that 10th laser, barring Tac Ops Expanded Heat Rules, you WILL shut down.  At that point, not only do you loose any ability to defend yourself, you also become an immobile target with that lovely -4 TH.

I'm rarely right... Except when I am.  ---  Idle question.  What is the BV2 of dread?
Apollo's Law- if it needs Clan tech to make it useable, It doesn't deserve those resources in the first place.
Sure it isn't the most practical 'mech ever designed, but it's a hundred ton axe-murderer. If loving that is wrong I don't wanna be right.

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #34 on: 03 December 2017, 01:34:23 »
It's a tactical choice: you use it when you've gotten yourself into  position where you can pretty much guarantee a kill against something that's bigger and more expensive than the Black Hawk.  The Clans are big on the idea of the Death Or Glory attack.

"I think I've just had another near-Rincewind experience," Death, The Color of Magic

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #35 on: 03 December 2017, 01:56:27 »
The Nova H, on the other hand, or say the Hunchie IIC 2, I can't quite wrap my head around.
Pretty simply really.  If your enemy has been dissolved into primordial paste and/or otherwise evercerated by your lasers then there is nothing there to take advantage of the fact you are immobile for 10 seconds from a shut down engine.  In a society that was obsessed with the honor duel all you have to do is win.  Nothing else really matters.  Against an IS opponent that really is all out the window, and you are right it makes little sense to Alpha Strike unless you know you are going to immune from return fire.

The other thing to take into context about all of the Revival era mechs is the original H versions were published back in 1998.  Most of them are less than configurations and the Nova is certainly not a design that is min-maxed.  The Nova I is more or less what I would have chosen had I been working up the H.  Hitting hard with a ER PPC at range and Heavy Mediums for anything that got in short-medium range.

massey

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: 06 August 2019, 16:32:38 »
This is running the risk of necromancy, but the Mech Of The Week threads have been linked in the Clan Kickstarter thread, and I came across this.

The Black Hawk/Nova is the first Clan omni I ever saw the stats for.  I took one look at 12 ER Medium Lasers, then looked up what they did, and my mouth fell open.  That has been probably my favorite omni ever since.  There's just something so uncompromising and brutal about it.  Insane, yes, but absolutely brutal.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #37 on: 06 August 2019, 16:42:44 »
Does the Nova Prime have the crits left to mount a Radical Heat Sink System?  The ability to run, fire 10 cERML and be heat neutral . . . heheh.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

Firesprocket

• Captain
  • 3601 S Broad St. Phila. PA 19148
« Reply #38 on: 06 August 2019, 16:50:11 »
It does have the space, but I wouldn't rely on an RHS.  Plug in optional rules, dial back laser damage and you can fire all the lasers with 5 point damage instead of 7.  All the lasers at that point deal 3 heat.  That's still 60 damage.

Colt Ward

• Lieutenant General
  • Gott Mit Uns
    • Merc Periphery Guide- Bakunin
« Reply #39 on: 06 August 2019, 16:53:48 »
Eh, its the same as MASC, Supercharger and a few other things.  I would rather have the RHS b/c if I decide not to be neutral I can pump out 84 damage, to be 16 over heat which is a easier roll then jump into the trees to cool off.
Colt Ward
Clan Invasion Backer #149, Leviathans #104

"We come in peace, please ignore the bloodstains."

"Greetings, Mechwarrior. You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Daoshen and the Capellan armada."

MoneyLovinOgre4Hire

• Lieutenant General
« Reply #40 on: 06 August 2019, 18:08:26 »
Since the Black Hawk has standard armor and internal structure, it's got a very roomy interior.  The only restrictions it has on what it can mount is it's limited pod space.

Kojak

• Major
  • Melancon Lives!
« Reply #41 on: 06 August 2019, 20:22:41 »
One of my earliest BattleTech memories was playing one of these in Mechwarrior 2, which was my introduction to the setting back in the '90s. It's been a very long time now, but I remember it being pretty savage as long as you were willing to ride the heat curve.

"Deep down, I suspect the eject handle on the Hunchback IIC was never actually connected to anything. The regs just say it has to be there."
- Klarg1