Author Topic: A couple questions from a returning player  (Read 417 times)

DamnKerensky

• Recruit
A couple questions from a returning player
« on: 27 February 2024, 01:46:17 »
1)  When I played build 43.X way back in the day, vehicle salvage prices seemed correct.  (And I recently loaded that version of Megamek back up and verified.)
When I play 49.X, however, all the values assigned to vehicle loot are crazy low.  This is great when I want to claim vehicles for salvage, but disastrous when I want the one or two shiny mechs from the OPFOR and my employer says that the remnants of the attached vehicle Company is only worth, for example, 300k, combined.

So my question is, is this a "bug" or was there a discussion sometime between 43.X and 49.X where a decision was made to nuke the price of vehicles?
It feels like a bug, since when I disassemble the vehicles, their components are worth way more than they were when they were all together.

2)  I was playing a campaign set in 3000 for a bit and everything seemed to be working as intended, but I didn't like some of the settings I chose (mostly the xp progression), so I restarted, this time in 3025.
Well in This campaign, EVERYTHING costs double to repair.  Every Engine, every Gyro, every actuator, every weapon, every heatsink.  I thought maybe I missed the announcement of some employer treachery, but no, that wasn't it.  I'm now in a new contract / new contract-type / new system / new employer / new enemy ... and everything still costs double to repair.

So the question is, is this a feature of 3025-ish?  Or a campaign option I selected without understanding?  Or a bug?

Thanks in advance for any answers people can provide!
« Last Edit: 02 March 2024, 17:52:37 by DamnKerensky »

dgorsman

• Captain
Re: A couple questions from a returning player
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2024, 12:32:56 »
I'm assuming we're talking MekHQ here.  There are at ton of options that have been added over time.

Under Campaign Options (from the File menu), there are many (!) settings which can affect how values are determined.  For example, on the Finances tab there are settings for "Used parts Value Multipliers" which will affect the sale price of parts based on their quality.  Unit sale value is based on a discount from list price, as it's selling used rather than new or gently used;  there may be a setting to change the discount that I can't find right away.

Repairs don't cost CBills, unless you have the "Pay for Repairs" option (Finances tab).  If you're talking about target numbers, those can be significantly modified if the "Use era mods for repair rolls" toggle (Repair and Maintenance tab) is set.
Think about it.  It's what we do.
- The Society

Thunder LRMs: the gift that keeps on giving.  They're the glitter of the BattleTech universe.

DamnKerensky

• Recruit
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2024, 12:58:04 »
Thanks for the reply.

From the Finances tab,
On the Right side, I have Price Multipliers of "1" for both common and Inner Sphere. I use the default Used Part multipliers (10/20/30/50/70/90 %).  For damaged parts I use 0.50 instead of the default 0.30.  All of these are the settings I always use (and thus presumably cannot be the cause of the recent weird game behavior).  I have "Unrepairable Damaged Parts Value Modifier" set to 0.10 ... which might possibly (?) be different than my other campaign, but I don't think so.

I have the entire Left side checked except "Use the expanded spare parts modifiers (CO pg. 14)".
In particular, I DO have "Pay for repairs" checked.  I always have, in every game I've played, so I know that is not responsible for the recent change.

To be absolutely crystal clear about the behavior I am seeing, a damaged engine might say it will cost 10,415 C-bills to repair ... and then I repair it and I am billed 20,830.  *Exactly* double.

DamnKerensky

• Recruit
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2024, 22:41:01 »
/Bump

Really seems like these are things that people should have the answers for.  Was hoping to be the beneficiary of the community's wisdom.

Also, if the whole repairs-cost-double thing is just normal everyday life in a 3025-ish "Late Succession Wars" campaign, then, logically, shouldn't the Battle Loss Compensation that employers provide you take that doubling into account??

Thom293

• Sergeant
« Reply #4 on: 17 April 2024, 09:42:42 »
I cant answer specific questions on prices, because I have used basically the default settings for years and honestly dont pay attention to the prices.  Hopefully I can give you a general suggestion though.

I would say it probably depends on what default setting you selected when you started.  Also there have been some recent reports in the discord that some of the price multipliers have been odd.

Also - generally there has been a long standing bug that clicking new campaign within a current campaign can mess up your settings.  So dont do that.  It has been hard to track down, but a warning has been placed in the latest nightly to warn and hopefully prevent.

My overly simple suggestion would be this:
Save your current campaign.
Close the program completely. 
Start a new campaign.  Select the Stratcon Alpha Preset (this is the basis of mine and as far as I know it has "normal" prices). 
Go to the tabs that normally have price settings (you have mentioned some) and take a screenshot of those settings. 
Close the game completely.
Load your first campaign and reset the settings to those that you have in the screenshots. 
See if that seems more normal to you.
If it does, save, and you should be good.

If it doesnt, try some other presets until you find one that you are comfortable with.

Hopefully that helps? If you have more questions the discord is helpful too. 

Hammer

• Numerorum Malleo
  • Global Moderator
  • Major
    • MegaMek Website
« Reply #5 on: 17 April 2024, 09:50:14 »
As Thom293 mentioned most players have moved to Discord for quicker responses.

https://discord.gg/megamek
MegaMek Projects Wiki
Bug Trackers
MegaMek Tracker
MekHQ Tracker
MegaMekLab Tracker
New Units and RAT's aren't added until after the 2 month release moratorium is passed.
Join the official MegaMek Discord