Author Topic: What devices can the game be played on?  (Read 1749 times)

banvatoi21

• Recruit
What devices can the game be played on?
« on: 22 December 2023, 02:40:14 »

RotS fan

• Master Sergeant
  • Ad securitas per unitas
Re: What devices can the game be played on?
« Reply #1 on: 22 December 2023, 04:09:31 »
This is the forum of the table top version of BattleTech. So I would say any table will do. Sometimes even the floor  azn

Lorcan Nagle

• 75 tons of heavy metal mayhem
  • Global Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • We're back, baby!
« Reply #2 on: 22 December 2023, 04:39:36 »
I've played BattleTech on boats and trains.
The moderator formerly known as the user formerly known as nenechan

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: 22 December 2023, 07:08:21 »
I've played BattleTech on boats and trains.

I prefer table, but I have played on the floor.

A more responsive answer is that Table Top Simulator and MegaMech support pretty much any regular computer.

elf25s

• Major
« Reply #4 on: 22 December 2023, 08:37:10 »
This is the forum of the table top version of BattleTech. So I would say any table will do. Sometimes even the floor  azn
in 1985 we started on a table moved on to the floor then to whole garage and standees were replaced with legos and names of mechs strips of paper stuck between the bricks...we started the game in late june did not finished it ever...but game came to abrupt end in mid september when our friends dad said time to park the car back in the garage....
you sure cannot out run death...but sure as hell you can make that bastard work for it!

Aotrs Commander

• Warrant Officer
« Reply #5 on: 22 December 2023, 08:43:16 »
You certainly could play in on mobiles, tablets and laptops, but I think you'd probably need more than even most people these days to get a suitable surface. But with enough devices, it wouldn't make a bad city-scape, it you stacked them - or used a non-flat device for the buildings, I suppose. Actually, tools and whatnot (screwdrivers, hand drills etc) might make for good crashed starship wrecks, it you pretend you're playing on a junk world (it's a bit more Star Wars, or... 40K, I guess, but for the sake of arguement).

You can go a long with with fairly-flat pebbles, actually. I got a load of 'em initially to play starships yonks and yonks ago (before they started saying "oooh, you can't take stones off the beach!") I dig 'em out again for this exact purpose, when I'm playing BT or MG Sci-Fi, they might grand little rock piles. (I now use asuqirum gravel for asteroids, but they also make a nice thing to sprinkle on the ground table occasionally.)

You could even do a good-old fashioned book-fort, though, like I made for me toy cars when I were a lad.

(Kids just don't do that these days...)

Anything really, so long as you get a decent density of terrain features. You imagination is your limit.

epic 2.0

• Corporal
« Reply #6 on: 22 December 2023, 20:44:48 »
Ping pong table was great for me when I first started. 

Sartris

• Codex Conditor
  • BattleTech Volunteer
  • Colonel
  • Kid in the puddle eating mud of CGL contributors
    • Master Unit List
« Reply #7 on: 22 December 2023, 21:51:00 »
With enough magnets it might be playable on a wall

You bought the box set and are ready to expand your bt experience. Now what? | Modern Sourcebook Index | FASA Sourcebook Index | Print on Demand Index
Equipment Reference Cards | DIY Pilot Cards | PaperTech Mech and Vehicle Counters

Interviewer: Since you’ve stopped making art, how do you spend your time?
Paul Chan Breathers: Oh, I’m a breather. I’m a respirateur. Isn’t that enough?

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: 22 December 2023, 22:53:12 »

With nice light plastic ‘mechs? No doubt.

Hmmm…

worktroll

• Ombudsman
  • Lieutenant General
  • 504th "Gateway" Division
    • There are Monsters in my Sky!
« Reply #9 on: 22 December 2023, 23:23:59 »
Going to make determining line of sight real hard in about 33% of cases ...
* No, FASA wasn't big on errata - ColBosch
* The Housebook series is from the 80's and is the foundation of Btech, the 80's heart wrapped in heavy metal that beats to this day - Sigma
* To sum it up: FASAnomics: By Cthulhu, for Cthulhu - Moonsword
* Because Battletech is a conspiracy by Habsburg & Bourbon pretenders - MadCapellan
* The Hellbringer is cool, either way. It's not cool because it's bad, it's cool because it's bad with balls - Nightsky
* It was a glorious time for people who felt that we didn't have enough Marauder variants - HABeas2, re "Empires Aflame"

Caesar Steiner for Archon

• Captain
  • I think I'm dehydrated. What day is it?
« Reply #10 on: 23 December 2023, 13:20:54 »
The question isn't what you can play it on, but what surfaces you can enforce sole dominion over for a couple of hours. Do you have the force of will to claim the dinner table for your exclusive use?

Strike first. Strike hard. No mercy.

Pat Payne

• Lieutenant
  • 352nd Combat Group -- Ex cinis ad astra
« Reply #11 on: 23 December 2023, 13:52:09 »

As others have pointed out, BattleTech is an analogue tabletop game, so there isn't any actual "platform" that there is support for (though like everyone else, I'm going to put tongue in cheek and say that a table or floor counts as a platform in the strictest sense).

That being said, there are a couple of ways to play Battletech on the computer:

1. There is a program called MegaMek that is available and while a fan creation is officially tolerated by TPTB and has a dedicated discussion area here in these forums. It works on any computer that can run Java 8 or Java 11 depending on the particular MegaMek build;
2. There is an official BattleTech computer game published by Hare Brained Schemes that is compatible with Windows and (IIRC) Mac computers. It's available on Steam and GOG, and maybe as physical software (if that's still a thing)

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #12 on: 23 December 2023, 21:37:27 »
I've played Alpha Strike on the floor with my daughter.  The battlefield gets really interesting with burned-out toys littered throughout  :grin:  Jumpy 'mechs also like sniping from the couch!
BATTLEMASTER
Trombone Player, Lego Enthusiast, Engineer
Clan Smoke Jaguar, Delta Galaxy ("The Cloud Rangers"), 4th Jaguar Dragoons
"You better stand back, I'm not sure how loud this thing can get!"
If you like Lego, you'll like my Lego battlemech projects!

Charistoph

• Major
« Reply #13 on: 23 December 2023, 22:18:02 »
Do you have the force of will to claim the dinner table for your exclusive use?

No.  The wife always denies my batchall.
Are you a Wolf, a Sheep, or a Hound?
Quote from: Megavolt
They called me crazy…they called me insane…THEY CALLED ME LOONEY!! and boy, were they right.

Charistoph's Painted Products of Mechanical Mayhem

GRUD

• Captain
  • Quinn's Quads - 'Mechs on the March!
« Reply #14 on: 25 December 2023, 05:39:34 »
With nice light plastic ‘mechs? No doubt.

Hmmm…

Several years back, someone posted pics online (I want to say on LotB?  Before FB took off anyway!), of a game they ran at some Con.  Was a large hex-shaped cylinder, maybe 1-2 feet on a side, 3-4 feet long, made of metal.  I think it was supposed to be a Space Station, and the 'Mechs used had magnets under the base.  Or maybe the bases were magnets?  But they were all Metal minis, and some were on there sideways, and seems like some were upside down even. 

Ok, I found the pic, posted by "Infinitecat", labeled "Asteroid 1", so I guess it was supposed to be an asteroid?  Not sure that would work, as I didn't know asteroids even had gravity.  :shocked:  And Yes, some Could very well be plastic.   :huh:  And also Yes, looks like it was "Driveway Con"!  :grin:  The "Properties" of the pic shows I got it in 2005, but I've NO idea When they actually made it.   :undecided:

Anyway, yes, with magnets, lots of things (Probably NOT "All"!) are Possible!   :smilie_happy_thumbup:
To me, Repros are 100% Wrong, and there's NO  room for me to give ground on this subject. I'm not just an Immovable Object on this, I'm THE Immovable Object. 3D Prints are just 3D Repros.

Something to bear in Mind. Defending the BT IP is Frowned upon here.

Remember: Humor is NOT Tolerated here. Have a Nice Day!

Hey! Can't a guy get any Privacy around here!

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #15 on: 28 December 2023, 11:57:48 »

I prefer the floor because you can easily add additional-maps.  We also used TV-trays, that were flimsy.

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #16 on: 28 December 2023, 18:33:49 »
I really like the magnetic wall idea.  I wish I went to school with enough needs that we'd do something like that on a study hall whiteboard!  But no, everyone but me was on a sports team and that's all they did - LOL
BATTLEMASTER

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #17 on: 29 December 2023, 21:47:55 »
I really like the magnetic wall idea.  I wish I went to school with enough needs that we'd do something like that on a study hall whiteboard!  But no, everyone but me was on a sports team and that's all they did - LOL

Think of it as a way to assemble a huge table where nobody needs long arms to reach  the middle, but might need ladders to reach the sides.

It would honestly look pretty coo, if a little odd.

Even better: Battletech on the floor, magnetic aerospace on the ceiling!

BATTLEMASTER

• Captain
  • Hot and Unbothered
« Reply #18 on: 29 December 2023, 22:42:57 »
Even better: Battletech on the floor, magnetic aerospace on the ceiling!

The ceiling could be the space map - use streamers from the warships to denote ortillery  :laugh:
BATTLEMASTER

klarg1

• Captain
« Reply #19 on: 30 December 2023, 11:27:28 »
The ceiling could be the space map - use streamers from the warships to denote ortillery  :laugh:

I like the cut of your jib.

General308

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: 30 December 2023, 11:48:28 »

Although a Table with Legs is preferable over a table with no legs.   Then again I have also used the floor as well before.    Floor can give you some big battlefields

Prospernia

• Lieutenant
« Reply #21 on: 31 December 2023, 22:21:05 »

My ceiling is way too high.  :bow:

Nerroth

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: 03 January 2024, 10:57:03 »
2. There is an official BattleTech computer game published by Hare Brained Schemes that is compatible with Windows and (IIRC) Mac computers. It's available on Steam and GOG, and maybe as physical software (if that's still a thing)

It's also listed as "Playable" on this Linux device:

There are a few caveats, however.

Firstly - SteamOS does let you manually set certain mouse functions to the analogue sticks and/or to the track pads, and there is a way to bring up an on-screen keyboard. it's still best to play the game with an external keyboard and mouse, however.

Secondly - the screen on the OLED model in particular is very nice, and it is possible to pay the game on it... if you don't mind the small font size. It is quite possible to use a dock (either Valve's official dock, or one from a third party) to connect to an external monitor.

Thirdly - if you try to play the game in Gaming Mode, it defaults to the device's own screen resolution, even if you are outputting video to an external monitor. If you set the system over to Desktop Mode first, however, higher external resolutions can be set as normal.

And fourthly - if you are outputting to an external monitor, note that the device's own speakers are quite good. So if you find them to be of higher quality than the ones in your monitor, it's possible (again, in Desktop Mode) to set things so that you are using the device's speakers, even if you have set the default screen to the monitor.
« Last Edit: 03 January 2024, 12:46:43 by Nerroth »

Arkansas Warrior

• Lieutenant Colonel
« Reply #23 on: 03 January 2024, 12:15:50 »
My ceiling is way too high.  :bow:
Wait until you find out how high space is.   :smiley:
Sunrise is Coming.

All Hail First Prince Melissa Davion, the Patron Saint of the Regimental Combat Team, who cowed Dainmar Liao, created the Model Army, and rescued Robinson!  May her light ever guide the sons of the Suns, May our daughters ever endeavour to emulate her!