Author Topic: The Kapteyn Universe  (Read 6623 times)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
  • I am Thomas Hogarth's Love Child
    • The Kapteyn Universe
Re: The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #90 on: 28 March 2024, 03:52:15 »
Here is an example of how we might pull together the naval side of a KU TRO down the line.

To make sense of the discussion of the Lola III below, there are some initial notes about how naval technology in the KU works going forward - which does mean we'll need to do some updates to existing designs for the TRO.

KU WarShip Overview

Rules Notes
KU naval technology has more variance to it than that of canon, making WarShip generations far more important than the case for canon. For example, certain armor and other technology only becomes available as technology advances. Also, capital weapon technology improves as well, making for far more effective vessels as technology advances.

The list below outlines what technologies are available at each level of naval technology.
  • Inner Sphere Tech - Standard Capital and non-capital weapons, screen launchers, standard armour, grav decks
  • Star League Tech - Improved Ferro-Aluminium armour, standard Capital weapons, Star League non-capital weapons, L-F Battery, HPGs
  • Advanced IS / Golden Century Tech - Ferro-Carbide armour, KU Advanced Capital weapons, KU Advanced Tech non-capital weapons
  • Clan Tech Lamellor Ferro-Carbide armour, KU Clan Capital weapons and Clan Tech non-capital weapons.

The following tach is available to the various powers.
Inner Sphere Tech All other nations
Star League Tech Federated Suns, Lyran Commonwealth, Capellan Confederation,
Advanced / Golden Century Tech Terran Hegemony
Clan Tech All Clans, Wolf’s Dragoons

In Universe Piece
General Wolf,
We have finally been able to penetrate the Terran’s naval databases and can finally make an assessment against the other realm’s and the Clan’s naval technology. We had wished to make this breakthrough sooner, however, since the return of Warships to the Inner Sphere a little more than a decade ago, every state has guarded its knowledge against outsiders, delaying our ability to analyse the true extent of naval advancement and technology. To provide an initial working overview of the differences in technology, we have undertaken a comparison of the Lola III-class destroyer, which is deployed by the Hegemony (Lola 33), Clans (Lola III-C) and ourselves (Lola III-W).

All of the Lola III variants mass 680,000 tons and are able to accelerate at a maximum of 3-g’s. The original vessel has an endurance of 76 days with 1,200 tons of fuel, which is retained by the Clan version, and increased to 152 days (2,400 tons) for the Hegemony vessel and 367 (5,800 tons) for the Wolf Dragoons variant.

Structurally, the original Lola III had been reenforced by a factor of 8.33, which enabled it to carry 680 tons of armor, though only 322 tons of Improved Ferro-Aluminium were installed. Again, the Clan version retains this approach, though the armour is upgraded to Lamellor Ferro-Carbide. The Lola 33 saw an increase in structural strength of 20% and a much heavier armor belt of 816 tons of Ferro-Carbide, due to the focus of the Hegemony’s Mark 3 program being on survivability. Our own version saw the retention of the original structure, but the upgrading and increasing of protection to 680 tons of Lamellor Ferro-Carbide.

Transport for each version varies as well, with the original Lola III carrying no DropShips, four small craft and six aerospace fighters. The Lola 33 and Lola III-W increase the fighter capacity to a full Wing, plus a command section (20 fighters), while the Clan version has ten small craft and a Star of ten fighters. The Lola 33 does not add DropShip collars, though in keeping with Clan naval doctrine, which places an emphasis on carrying capacity and DropShip support, eight docking collars are added. Our own W variant is influenced by Clan design philosophies, though to a lesser extent and carries only four DropShips.

The weapons load of the original Lola III is twelve NL/55, four NL/45, two White Shark and five Barracuda capital missile tubes, and sixteen NAC/10. The Lola III was not able to utilise its full firepower due to the heat system being only 89% effective.

The Hegemony Lola 33 upgrades the weaponry to the more advanced models produced by Terran yards, as well as doubling the entire weapons layout, providing for more than twice the capital firepower of the original vessel. For close in protection, the Lola 33 adds the standard ComStar designed anti-missile and anti-fighter defences, with thirty-two F-MIDS, sixteen Anti-Missile Systems, and eight quad mounted Large Pulse Laser batteries. The Lola 33 generates more than twice the heat burden of the Lola III, but a vastly expanded heat dissipation system is able to manage the load.

The Clan version of the Lola III also upgrades the weaponry. In this case four NL/55, four NL/45, and four NAC/10 are added, along with a full upgrade of all weapons to Clan capital grade models. Anti-Fighter defences are extensive, including thirty-two ER Large Laser, thirty-two Artemis equipped LRM-20’s, and eight of the Clan’s long range anti-fighter defence Arrow X SAM systems, which are designed to take our Clan strike fighters before they can deliver their short range Raptor anti-ship rockets. Like the Hegemony version, the Lola III-C can manage its heat load effectively.

Our own version of the ship, the Lola III-W, add nine Nl/55, four NL/45, eight NAC/10, and four Barracuda, as well as an upgrade to Clan standard capital weaponry. The close in defences consist of eight layered anti-missile networks, each with an Arrow X, F-MIDS, and a Clantech Anti-Missile System, the F-MIDS copied from the Hegemony. Making life difficult for fighter, shuttles and DropShips are sixty-four Clan spec Ultra AC/10’s. Running the hottest of all four models, the heat system was again upgraded to manage the load.

As can be seen, all three upgrades of the venerable Star League Lola III do away with the excessive cargo of the original model, focusing the additional mass to the priorities of each’s doctrine. In the case of the Hegemony, structure and armor are the highest priority, then weapons, where the Clans place a premium on transport capacity. Our own needs fall in between this, making for a more versatile variant of the ship.
Dedicated to committing viciously gratuitous bastardy of the first order.

Unofficial LD for 2 seconds - It was a glorious moment!

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #91 on: 28 March 2024, 21:02:22 »
Looks like there is going to be an unforeseen delay to Field Report: FWLM.

The mapping software I use is not responding for some reason, and it may take a few days for it to come back online.

That'll delay things for a bit as the mapping is central to completing both FWLM and Inner Sphere Supplement 3035.

"They can bring it. We fought off an army of guys who wore 20 pound decorative brass shoulder pauldrons. I'm not afraid of the Disney Land mascot brigade" - MadCapellan, in reference to the Confederation possibly facing the Clans.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #92 on: 29 March 2024, 08:57:30 »
Oof! Hope you can sort it out.  Hey, were spoiled getting nearly WEEKLY release of fan sourcebooks we could use in campaigning.  I'm very grateful for something new and different!
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"How do you defeat a Dragau? Shoot the damn thing. Lots." - Jellico 
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants
-Editor on Battletech Fanon Wiki

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #93 on: 30 March 2024, 10:48:13 »
I know I am a nuisance, but I would like to make an observation regarding the Field Manual: DCMS volume. In the text it says Northern Court and Southern Court, echoing what happened in Japan in the latter part of the 1300s. But in space there is no North, South, West and East. So, the more correct terminology would be Coreward Court for the northern one and Rimward Court for the southern one.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #94 on: 30 March 2024, 17:05:00 »
Despite the terms of astrography used in BT, this is a historical reference, therefore the historical terms are used as they fit more comfortably.

Daryk

• Lieutenant General
  • The Double Deuce II/II-σ
« Reply #95 on: 30 March 2024, 17:08:44 »
That's one of the best answers to that type of question I've seen... well done, good sir! :)

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #96 on: 30 March 2024, 21:22:26 »
Sneak Preview - Clan Field Reports

Available here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/68p8roygnszkdw4s83rtb/h?rlkey=hqj6s2oeu8faa4g6ejzilzkpc&dl=0

Since we just missed out on 12 releases in 12 weeks, here is a treat from one of the upcoming Clan Field Reports to make amends.

This is pre-full edit review and is laid out roughly, more as a concept test than a final version.

Enjoy the story of the Blood Spirits in the Kapteyn Universe.

rufusexc

• Private
« Reply #97 on: 31 March 2024, 02:44:13 »
Despite the terms of astrography used in BT, this is a historical reference, therefore the historical terms are used as they fit more comfortably.

I am sorry, but the terminology used in BT is what is commonly used to denote cardinal points in space.
For that matter, the term "Shogun" was not used to refer to the role of the Coordinator of the Draconis Combine, because such a position was held only by those descended from the Minamoto Clan, the first shogunate, i.e., the Ashigaka and Tokugawa. The Kurita having no relationship to these clans could not use such an office.
The division between the Northern and Southern Courts pertains to the Japanese Imperial Family, and for reasons similar to those described above, such terminology could never have been used.
If anything, if you really do not want to use Coreward and Rimward, then it would make more sense to use Luthien Court and Kessel Court. Although I think it would have made more sense that instead of Kessel, they would have chosen New Samarkand, which was previously used as the capital.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #98 on: 31 March 2024, 03:59:34 »
Please stop.

I love that you like getting into the KU, but nit picking gets old real fast.

The choices made were for thematic reasons, they won't be getting changed.

If you don't like them, that's fine, but this thread is not for long dissertations on what small details irk people.

willis

• Master Sergeant
« Reply #99 on: 31 March 2024, 10:56:24 »
This series is pretty great work, well put together, eagerly awaiting the next installment....

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #100 on: 31 March 2024, 12:17:37 »
I am grateful how rich this fan project is. Result of massive Inner Sphere in Flames game! The choices were made by playersa while ago.
"Men, fetch the Urbanmechs.  We have an interrogation to attend to." - jklantern
"No, it's a "Most Awesome Blues Brothers scene Reenactment EVER" waiting to happen." VotW Destrier - Weirdo  
"It's 200 LY to Sian, we got a full load of shells, a half a platoon of Grenadiers, it's exploding outside, and we're wearing flak jackets." VoTW Destrier - Misterpants

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #101 on: 04 April 2024, 01:26:28 »
KU 11 - Field Manual: FWLM

Available here: https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/68p8roygnszkdw4s83rtb/h?rlkey=hqj6s2oeu8faa4g6ejzilzkpc&dl=0

The League was all but gone, until Duncan Marik saved it from itself. In place of the old League a new, more centralised and ruthless League has arisen. Gone are the bickering of the provinces, replaced by a power Captain-Generals of the past could only dream of. The League’s foes are many, but Duncan Marik is as cunning as he is ruthless, and scores will be settled as the Eagle rises again.

Within this volume is a detailed accounting of the Free Worlds League Military and the Free Worlds League Navy. Brigade and regimental summaries, industrial listings, strategy and operational thinking, as well as the newest WarShips in the FWLN inventory are all detailed.

Book Structure:
Field Report: FWLM is a Kapteyn Universe fiction supplement designed to offer information on the state of the Free Worlds League Military (FWLM) following the Fourth Succession War and prior to the coming of the Clans of Kerensky.
  • The first section of the report— Free Worlds League Overview—provides a short look into the current state of the FWLM’s present condition and efforts, broken into three parts. The Strategic Update details the military’s current objectives, while Future Plans provides some potential insight into the future of the Free Worlds League Military and the Free Worlds League Navy discusses how the FWLM is rebuilding its warship forces.
  • The second section, Industries and Support, presents a overview of the Free Worlds League’s military industries, production and fleet after the end of the Fourth Succession War.
  • Line Units presents a short update on the history, current status and notable facts for each brigade of the FWLM.
  • Also included are details on the deployment of the FWLM and FWLN.

Want More From The Kapteyn Universe
For more from the Kapteyn Universe, come and join the KU Discord https://discord.gg/YjHSU3PSyM

Orwell84

• Lieutenant
« Reply #102 on: 04 April 2024, 19:44:56 »
Thanks for uploading that, great to now have a complete set for all of the IS/Periphery factions. Looking forward to the 3034 update and then my favourite faction(s) of all.

Curious how this timeline's Clan Invasion will play out in 3035, and how the TH will react.
All Clan totems are equal but some are more equal than others.

"The Succession Wars solved no problem. Their effects, both immediate and indirect, were either negative or disastrous. Morally subversive, economically destructive, socially degrading, confused in their causes, devious in their course, futile in their results, they are the outstanding example in Spheroid history of meaningless conflict."
The Third Star League's view of the Succession Wars, plagiarised from an ancient Terran historian's judgement of the Thirty Years War.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #103 on: 04 April 2024, 20:42:18 »
I have several ideas, but nothing absolutely set in stone just yet.

Wrangler

• Colonel
  • Dang it!
    • Battletech Fanon Wiki
« Reply #104 on: 04 April 2024, 20:58:01 »
So the campaign you and your fellowplayers  waged that created the Kapteyn Universe isn't going evolve the same way it was played?

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #105 on: 04 April 2024, 21:03:27 »
It will evolve in a similar way, but I'll be posting on that soon, so folks know how things are going to progress.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #106 on: 05 April 2024, 18:13:34 »
So, update for where things go from here.

To complete Supplement 3034, I need to redesign how the KU spreadsheets work. The way they were designed in the past was too granular, and focused on player support.

I am updating them to be easier to use and clean them up as well, as they got HUGE. That's this week's task.

Then I can roll through 3034 and move onto the Clan books.

After that, back to the novels.

So release speed is now going to drop, but for those here, I'll keep giving updates and provide some insights into the proposed development as I move along.

The universe will continue to develop along similar lines, I just need to take a moment to get everything lined up properly to make it easy to do so.

wolfcannon

• Lieutenant
    • wolfcannon's photobucket album
« Reply #107 on: 11 April 2024, 15:02:17 »
Question:  in AFFS book,  it’s mentioned Davion Armored Divisions,  is a exact number and composition known?
Daniels Avenger                Clan Coyote
General Jennifer Daniels    Galaxy Commander Jim Skyes
                                        Omicron Galaxy
Clan Wolf in Exile
328th Assault Cluster(the Lion Hearted)
Star Captain James Sword

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #108 on: 11 April 2024, 16:00:04 »
It was...

Originally in the game, we tracked conventional brigades/divisions, aerospace wings/ regiments, and assault DropShip Wings.

However it became too much to track, and players were focusing on Mech regiments.

So we went with just Mech units after that, but represented attached conventional and aero units in the overall stat's.

More mech units will appear in Supplemental 3034, which were created to fill the hole in the rosters with the deletion of the conventional units.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #109 on: 13 April 2024, 02:10:55 »
The good news is that the sheets are now fully updated and I'll commence completing the events of 3034 from tomorrow.

The updating of the sheets was a lot easier than I thought it would be. Which means my skills are better than they used to be, or I have missed something critical...  :grin:

I'll give some details along the way about what is happening across the Inner Sphere as we go. It will be a couple of weeks before Supplement 3034 drops, but the work is underway.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #110 on: 22 April 2024, 00:56:37 »
As 3034 gets sorted out - August is nearly complete, I'll be setting up new streams for events in 3033 and 3034 to tide you over until the book is ready.

The Terran News Network (TNN) will be bringing you all the news from the big events across the Inner Sphere.

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #111 on: 22 April 2024, 01:06:26 »
****TNN News Alert**** 23023033 – 14:52////BEGIN TRANSMISSION////The world of Destiny (formerly the abandoned colony of New Stevens) has been put on a partial travel ban by the Hegemony. Any travel to the world is via THN crewed vessels only, and travel beyond the new colony’s boundaries are strictly prohibited. No word has been forthcoming if Succession War atrocities have re-emerged to threaten the colony.\\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #112 on: 22 April 2024, 01:23:38 »
****TNN News Alert****23073033 – 11:08////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// The THN today announced the successful acceptance of the Triumph-class corvettes THS Centaurus and THS Altair into service. The Triumph-class is the latest Hegemony WarShip design and is expected to form the backbone of the fleet’s raiding and reconnaissance units until the end of the century.\\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #113 on: 22 April 2024, 01:23:58 »
****TNN News Alert****02033033 – 23:16////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// The Lyran Commonwealth’s efforts to match Combine and Hegemony shipbuilding efforts continue to accelerate under Archon Melissa Steiner Davion’s Naval Expansion Plan. New yards have begun construction of vessels over Tharkad, though it is not yet clear what the three new yards will produce. Rumours of a new Battlecruiser are rife, though no confirmation has as yet been received. \\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #114 on: 22 April 2024, 01:24:12 »
****TNN News Alert****11033033 – 07:45////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// TNN’s Luthien correspondent reports that at least eight and possibly as many as fourteen new regiments are in service with the Draconis Combine Mustered Soldiery. This significant increase in strength since 3032 has many on Oberon and Tharkad wary, as troop numbers in the new Trondheim Military District continue to climb. Oberon has been vociferous in condemning DCMS actions in the former Rasalhague Principality and calls the continued increases in military force both provocative and destabilising. \\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #115 on: 22 April 2024, 01:24:22 »
****TNN News Alert****29033033 – 09:50////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// The Taurian Defence Force is undergoing a major reorganisation that is redeploying regiments across the Concordat, while in the words of Protector Calderon “Greatly increasing the capacity of the TDF to defend the realm, and take war to our foes if needed.” This news has been greeted less than enthusiastically by Sian, New Avalon and Granera, as it denotes a potential for aggressive Taurian adventurism, something never before considered by the Concordat. \\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\
« Last Edit: 24 April 2024, 18:23:38 by Blacknova »

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #116 on: 24 April 2024, 18:22:34 »
****TNN WAR WARNING TO ALL CORROSPONDANTS****05053033 – 19:40////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// Significant troop movements have been noted in several states. Within the Free Worlds League, Draconis Combine, Finmark Federation and Rimward of the Capellan Confederation, movements of troops are consistent with the positioning of forces for offensive actions. All correspondents are advised to take all precautions necessary for the safety of their teams. \\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Blacknova

• Bullet Magnet
  • Captain
    • The Kapteyn Universe
« Reply #117 on: 24 April 2024, 18:26:10 »
****TNN News Alert****02063033 – 21:20////BEGIN TRANSMISSION//// Hegemony Intelligence claims to have largely eradicated the remnant elements of ComStar's ROM, and assesses the future capabilities of any remnant of ComStar to be largely insignificant. Coming less than a decade after the fall of the centuries old order, this announcement by the HID signals the final footnote in the Order's history.\\\\END TRANSMISSION\\\\

Register